PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore v. Steelers AFC Championship Game

Hines4ever
12-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Anyone absolutely sickened by the possibility of playing Baltimore in the AFC Championship Game???? General consensus seems to be that it will be difficult to beat them 3x in a season.......and I tend to agree......with the intense rivalry and hating them as much as I do, I cannot fathom losing to them and have them go all the way!!!!
:puke:

RoethlisBURGHer
12-30-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't want that, because even if we beat them...they will be out to injure our guys so we don't get that sixth Lombardi.

lilyoder6
12-30-2008, 02:13 PM
that would a good game to watch.. another blood bath..

steelpride12
12-30-2008, 02:21 PM
We will see them Jan. 11 the Divisional game, not AFC Championship.

fansince'76
12-30-2008, 02:23 PM
We will see them Jan. 11 the Divisional game, not AFC Championship.

No way that's possible - as the 6th seed, the Ravens would draw the top-seeded Titans in the divisional round.

steelpride12
12-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Thought we played the winner of the Dolphins/Ravens Matchup?

fansince'76
12-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Thought we played the winner of the Dolphins/Ravens Matchup?

Only if the Dolphins win - the Dolphins being the #3 seed would be the highest remaining seed going into the divisional round, regardless of the outcome of the Chargers/Colts game, since they're the #4 and #5 seeds. The Titans, being the #1 seed, will get the lowest-surviving seed from the WC games this weekend. If the Ravens beat Miami, they will automatically be the lowest-surviving (#6) seed. Either way, the Titans get the tougher draw, IMO.

bradness113
12-30-2008, 02:27 PM
no. if miami wins, we play miami.
if balt wins, we play the winner of IND and SD.

HometownGal
12-30-2008, 02:28 PM
While I don't particularly like the odds of playing and beating an opponent 3 times in the same season, I am confident in our guys and the confidence they have in each other to get 'r done no matter who the opponent is. The only thing that makes me a bit skiddish about the Rats is the intensely physical game they play, but I think we can match 'em head to head on that aspect.

steelpride12
12-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Only if the Dolphins win - the Dolphins being the #3 seed would be the highest remaining seed going into the divisional round, regardless of the outcome of the Colts/Chargers game, since they're the #4 and #5 seeds. The Titans will get the lowest-surviving seed from the WC games this weekend. If the Ravens beat Miami, they will automatically be the lowest-surviving (#6) seed.

O alright, great thanks i totally forgot about that.:drink:

LVSteelersfan
12-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Screw the Rats. Joey Porter will take care of Joe Flacco in his first rookie playoff game. Remember how bad Ben looked in his first playoff game after a much better season than Flacco had. Flacco will fold like a cheap card table and we will be playing the Dolphins.

Hines4ever
12-30-2008, 02:32 PM
No way that's possible - as the 6th seed, the Ravens would draw the top-seeded Titans in the divisional round.

Sorry....please bear with me.....a little confused....so if we play them, would it be for the divisional playoff or championship game??????:noidea:
This play off stuff makes my head hurt!!!!:banging:

fansince'76
12-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Sorry....please bear with me.....a little confused....so if we play them, would it be for the divisional playoff or championship game??????:noidea:
This play off stuff makes my head hurt!!!!:banging:

The only way we could play the Ravens would be in the AFCCG. As the 6th seed, if they beat Miami, they will have to play the #1 seed (Titans) in the divisional round. :drink:

TailgateMel
12-30-2008, 02:36 PM
If we see them, it will be for the AFC championship here.

I think we can beat them.

fansince'76
12-30-2008, 02:38 PM
If we see them, it will be for the AFC championship here.

I think we can beat them.

I agree, but when the Steelers and Ravens play each other, the two teams literally beat the hell out of each other. That's what I'm worried about with them.

steelpride12
12-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Screw the Rats. Joey Porter will take care of Joe Flacco in his first rookie playoff game. Remember how bad Ben looked in his first playoff game after a much better season than Flacco had. Flacco will fold like a cheap card table and we will be playing the Dolphins.

Im sorry the Fins are a great story team this season they made the WC game in the playoffs, but the Ratbirds are gonna tear them a new one.

fansince'76
12-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Im sorry the Fins are a great story team this season they made the WC game in the playoffs, but the Ratbirds are gonna tear them a new one.

Yeah, I don't think the Dolphins are going to win that game either. Hope I'm wrong.

Edman
12-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Why is everyone afraid of the Ravens?

Flacco is a rookie, and any team that can stop their running game will have good chance at winning. And we contained them plenty. The Defense was moved plenty by Pittsburgh in the last meeting, and we beat them twice already.

Any team that can stop the run will beat the Ravens.

westcoastransplant
12-30-2008, 02:45 PM

Flacco may be a rookie but he's got a pretty good running game and a defense that will keep the score low. He doesn't have to do that much, just not screw things up.

TailgateMel
12-30-2008, 02:46 PM
I agree, but when the Steelers and Ravens play each other, the two teams literally beat the hell out of each other. That's what I'm worried about with them.

at least we'd have a week off after that game before the superbowl!

LetsRock
12-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Screw the RatBirds. They do not even belong in the playoffs. They will be one and done. Their community college QB will be brought back to earth this Sunday.

Edman
12-30-2008, 02:48 PM

Yeah, '76. They sure "beat the hell out of us" last time and in September.

It's one thing to be respectful of the Ravens, but the fear of them is ridiculous.

fansince'76
12-30-2008, 02:50 PM

Flacco is a rookie, and any team that can stop their running game will have good chance at winning. And we contained them plenty. The Defense was moved plenty by Pittsburgh in the last meeting, and we beat them twice already.

I can see noodle-arm tossing a pick-6 or two to Reed, though. However, the Ravens had their bye WAAAAAYYYYY back in week 2, so hopefully they run out of gas.

fansince'76
12-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Yeah, '76. They sure "beat the hell out of us" last time....

We didn't look so hot the next week against the Titans, did we? That's what I mean - the games between the two teams are a physical drain on both teams. I'd rather play the Colts 3 times than the Ravens once, just because the games against the Ravens are always so physically brutal - throw a trip to the SB for the winner into the deal and you have a bloodbath.

jjpro11
12-30-2008, 03:03 PM
we beat the browns 3 times in 2002 and i am pretty sure each win was by 3 points. so its not like it cant happen, but i'd rather take my chances with the titans or colts. revenge is sweet, and thats something the rats will have on their side.

stlrz fan
12-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Don't think the Ravens haven't already put a "Bounty" out on Ben since the concussion. You know, just for fun!!

steelerchad
12-30-2008, 03:21 PM
I know everyone says how hard it is to beat an opponent 3 times in one season, but here are some reasons why we will if we get the chance against the Ravens.
It has only happened 18 times that a team has even had a chance to do this. 11 times the team that won the first 2 meetings has also won the third.
Of the 11 3 game sweeps, the Steelers have 2 of them. Both over the Browns in 94 and 2002. We also have 1 of the 7 wins by a team that lost the first 2 games and then won the playoff game. That was against Houston in 89.
If you play a team 3 times in one season, both teams are obviously pretty good since the 3rd game is a playoff game. If you won the first 2, chances are you are a little better than the other team to begin with.
Also, this game against the Ravens would be at home for us. I also think we have an advantage if it's a close game, which it likely would be as both have very good defenses. We have a quarterback who has made a name for himself in clutch 4th quarter situations. They have an unproven rookie. This game would be the AFCC game and that rookie would be facing our defense. I'm fairly certain he will be a little nervous at least, if not puking on his shoes on the sidelines. I know the Ravens hate us and their intensity will be high, but this year our defense is just plain nasty and I think we'll see the best come out in the playoffs.
Lastly, this is not the Ravens year. They've had a great season and nobody expected them to be where they are. But generally, teams get close before they go all the way. Look at our run in 05. 04 should have been our year. 05 should have been the Colts year. But both teams went all the way a year later. These Ravens will take a loss in this years playoffs and probably be better for it next year.

Hines4ever
12-30-2008, 04:13 PM

..........And speaking of which, if we play Miami, how weird will it be to see Joey Porter going after Ben......I hate the thought

lilyoder6
12-30-2008, 04:37 PM
..........And speaking of which, if we play Miami, how weird will it be to see Joey Porter going after Ben......I hate the thought

even tho playing against porter.. I WOULD LOVE to play the dolphins in our 1st playoff game... i think that the colts, ravens are 2 scary right now even the bolts look scary

HometownGal
12-30-2008, 04:59 PM

Exactly. :thumbsup:

Kvnfaber
12-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Flacco has made some quality plays this year, but again these teams match up so evenly that the Steelers have come out on top due to our advantage at the QB position, and thats about it. If Ben is feeling good then I see it ending like either of our season games, down to the wire, but the more experienced and battle tested QB coming out on top.

Edman
12-30-2008, 05:18 PM
We didn't look so hot the next week against the Titans, did we? That's what I mean - the games between the two teams are a physical drain on both teams. I'd rather play the Colts 3 times than the Ravens once, just because the games against the Ravens are always so physically brutal - throw a trip to the SB for the winner into the deal and you have a bloodbath.

That makes sense. I guess. The Ravens do deserve credit. They always play the Steelers tough. But that's what a rival does.

It's just that people around here are talking them up as this unstoppable force.

Dino 6 Rings
12-30-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't care who we play. We'll smash in their faces whoever they are.

We are the Baddest Mother Effers on the Planet. We hit harder than anyone. We are battle tested with a 12-4 record against the toughest schedule possible.

I have no time for fear or for caring who we face. It matters not. We shall punish anyone we play.

TackleMeBen
12-30-2008, 08:36 PM
although it will be tough beating the ravens 3 times this season, i think we could do it. just let harrison and woodley knock flacco around a little bit. he will get rattled and start making mistakes.

GridironWarrior
12-30-2008, 08:36 PM
To be honest with the way the O is playing and no I don't count the last Browns game, they are pathetic. I could see any of these teams beating the Steelers.

Polamalu43
12-30-2008, 08:40 PM
I want the tits, to hell with the ravens, i want payback!

SteelersMongol
12-30-2008, 08:41 PM
I don't want that, because even if we beat them...they will be out to injure our guys so we don't get that sixth Lombardi.

Exactly the same thought. I don't want it. I hope the Dolphins would beat the crap out of em this Sunday.

Polamalu43
12-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Exactly the same thought. I don't want it. I hope the Dolphins would beat the crap out of em this Sunday.

I would love th also but we all know that ain't gonna happen. chad AKA the human statue is gonna get killed against that D. i say he atleast gets sacked 8 times or so

ricksteelers55
12-30-2008, 11:23 PM
to be the best you have to beat the best,so i dont mind whoever we have to play if we want to win the bowl,then bring the best.I do think that no matter who wins if we play the ravens for a 3rd time,the winning team will probably lose key players as it is always intense fights between the 2.

let's hope we win our next game that's all the matter for now

eafratitpm3
12-31-2008, 12:14 AM
If we don'tturn the ball over nobody, I repeat nobody can beat us. PERIOD!!!

Preacher
12-31-2008, 12:26 AM
If we don'tturn the ball over nobody, I repeat nobody can beat us. PERIOD!!!

I disagree in one area... I do think Tennessee is able to beat us. They are the most balanced. Collins is a solid QB and they ALSO have a solid run game and very good defense.

Sure, it was somewhat a trap game for us. Nothing really to play for. AFCCG's in Pittsburgh haven't been good to us, so not a whole lot of desire to get it.

But still, they are a very tough team.

That doesn't mean we can't beat them. We can definitely do it. I just see them as tougher then most I guess.

eafratitpm3
12-31-2008, 01:16 AM
I disagree in one area... I do think Tennessee is able to beat us. They are the most balanced. Collins is a solid QB and they ALSO have a solid run game and very good defense.

Sure, it was somewhat a trap game for us. Nothing really to play for. AFCCG's in Pittsburgh haven't been good to us, so not a whole lot of desire to get it.

But still, they are a very tough team.

That doesn't mean we can't beat them. We can definitely do it. I just see them as tougher then most I guess.

I have to disagree with you on Tennesee. We lost the game 31-14 but it was actually alot closer than that before the pick 6 towards the end of the game. The 4 fumbles and I will say 1 INT since the last one was basically a hail marry type was our downfall. As well as the Defense not playing up to the standards that we/they know they can. With no turnovers and the defense playing like they played all year I believe that game wouldn't have even been close. Just my opinion but I respect yours also.

fansince'76
12-31-2008, 01:18 AM
I have to disagree with you on Tennesee. We lost the game 31-14 but it was actually alot closer than that before the pick 6 towards the end of the game. The 4 fumbles and I will say 1 INT since the last one was basically a hail marry type was our downfall. As well as the Defense not playing up to the standards that we/they know they can. With no turnovers and the defense playing like they played all year I believe that game wouldn't have even been close. Just my opinion but I respect yours also.

I agree - we don't turn the ball over, we win that game by 2 scores+.

Galax Steeler
12-31-2008, 04:46 AM

Not a good thought but the first time we played miami I think Joey only got one sack on us but that was when we had a better offensive line so he could have a better game.

stillers4me
12-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Not a good thought but the first time we played miami I think Joey only got one sack on us but that was when we had a better offensive line so he could have a better game.

I'd love to play Miami. Joey would get to Ben......and crow about it. But at least we know that Joey would never intentionally try to hurt Ben. Hearing some Joey-mouth would make for some good fun. Joey and the vets on the Steelers are like brothers.......it would be smack talk central!

atlsteelers
12-31-2008, 09:18 AM
the best case scenario would have miami beating baltimore. with baltimore injuring half of miami's team. lets face any team that plays the steelers or ratbirds the previuos week is going to be a really beat up team. but i really do not see it happening i think the ratbirds are going to destroy miami

CB1977
12-31-2008, 09:50 AM
If this game happens, it will be one of the rare times that I will root for the Steelers.

Yes, I dislike the Ravens that much!!

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2008, 09:53 AM
If this game happens, it will be one of the rare times that I will root for the Steelers.

Yes, I dislike the Ravens that much!!
:jawdrop: don't be bringin that browns curse down on us .....:laughing:

DACEB
12-31-2008, 10:19 AM
The Ravens would be the only team I wouldn't want to face. Beating a team three times in one year is a tall order. And it's not like we disposed of them in either game this season.

GridironWarrior
12-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Hopefully the Oline will come together so they can have a shot at the Championship. Sadly I don't see the Steelers going. I could see either the Ravens or Titan representing the AFC in the Super Bowl. Yuck.

revefsreleets
12-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Actually, the title of this thread got me thinking back to 2005. Maybe we DON'T want to play the Colts? I just cringe every time I think of horribly the officials tried to ass rape us in that game, and Peyton STILL is one of the NFL's media darlings. Think Wood or Silverback will be held much in that game? Think it'll be called?

Yikes!!!

fansince'76
12-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Actually, the title of this thread got me thinking back to 2005. Maybe we DON'T want to play the Colts? I just cringe every time I think of horribly the officials tried to ass rape us in that game, and Peyton STILL is one of the NFL's media darlings. Think Wood or Silverback will be held much in that game? Think it'll be called?

Yikes!!!

Hmmmm....good point, particularly with Golden Boy out of the picture this year. I'm sure Goodell is creaming his jeans over the prospect of a Manning vs. Manning SB matchup. It's a very good likelihood that anybody who draws the Colts or the Giants in the playoffs will have to beat the refs too.

revefsreleets
12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
I have visions of Harrison being ripped down by his facemask in the open field RIGHT in front of an official and it not being called.

Dino 6 Rings
12-31-2008, 11:32 AM
I have visions of Harrison being ripped down by his facemask in the open field RIGHT in front of an official and it not being called.

According to the New Rule book, which I have a copy of, rule 85, subset 6, section B indicates the following "Any previously stated illegal use of hands, holding or other violation that may be called is null and void if the defender in question is James Harrison."

So technically, it wouldn't be illegal.

:flap:

tylerdurden
12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
I will be cheering hard for the Dolphins. Not only because I hate the Ravens with all my being but also becasue I think the Dolphins will be a good first opponet for us in the playoffs. I think we will dominate the Dolphins if we play them and that will give us some momentum going into the AFCCG. Where I pray we get another shot at the Titans. Happy New Year Steeler Nation!

lilyoder6
12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
i just want to play the dolphins b/c i don't want to play the colts.. haha

Hines4ever
12-31-2008, 01:19 PM
That makes sense. I guess. The Ravens do deserve credit. They always play the Steelers tough. But that's what a rival does.

It's just that people around here are talking them up as this unstoppable force.

I don't feel that they are "unstoppable" per se.....I think it will (as with every game this season with them) be a challenging slug fest! Like I said, for me the thought of this game is worrisome because of the intense rivalry and my own Steeler pride....(not to mention the "bagillion" ravens fans that live around me).....I just don't think I could stomach it if and I said IF...we lost to them!!! :shake01:

stlrtruck
12-31-2008, 02:51 PM
One of my best friends is a Dolphins fan and for that reason and the reason that I totally can't stand the ratbirds - I'll be cheering hard this Sunday for the dolphins to get retribution for their loss earlier this year.

My guestimate:
Phins 24
ratbirds 13

LVSteelersfan
12-31-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm sorry, but Lebeau is a playoff vet and Harbaugh is a rookie. There is no way he will be ready for the hell that Lebeau is going to send out against Flacco. I am not worried about them. I am more worried about playing Indy in the first game. I think there is some merit to that Manning vs Manning Super Bowl and the front office wanting a story. I think we play Indy and Baltimore plays Tennesee in the second round setting up a Tenessee rematch because we are going to rip Peyton a new one.

cubanstogie
12-31-2008, 03:44 PM

I think because they took us to the wire both games and could have won either. Playoffs are a different story though so we will how Flacco handles it. If we do play them that means they beat Miami and Tennessee meaning Flacco will be over the playoff jiitters. Many ways to view it. I think they destroy Miami and lose the the Titans. I could care less who we play although I think Miami is the easiest win, we should beat any team if we don't turn the ball over. Our D will show up, therefore we have a good chance to beat anyone.

lilyoder6
12-31-2008, 06:05 PM
and flacco has the def to carry him thru the playoffs until he gets comfortable..

shevdog
01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
That would be a really good game, one for the history books, in the story of our record breaking 6th Super Bowl championship. Yet I have to agree with most everyone that it will be tough to beat them 3 times in one year. I also don't want to see the Steelers fall to them in the playoff, especially paving the road to a "Ratbird Super Bowl" appearance. I still want revenge on the Colts and Titans, so I am hoping for that. Those two match ups will be just as tough, yet we'll get them the second time around.

I'd like to mention possible Super Bowl matchups, yet I better keep that quite for now, since it is too soon to talk about that. Plenty of time to come for that kind of buzz...

JanBr7
01-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I am hoping that the RatBirds will be upended by Tenn in a very physical, difficult game. If we beat Indy (or S.D. as the case may be) then we will see Tenn in the AFC Champtionship game. I think that could be the way it will play out. Or should I say I HOPE so!

Edman
01-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Excuse me while I go puke.

This place should be renamed Ravens fever. I understand not wanting to be homeristic, but this Ravens phobia has this place gripped.