PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich fine with being on call at QB

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-31-2008, 04:03 AM
Leftwich fine with being on call at QB
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 12:14 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — Mike Tomlin claims the Steelers have two franchise quarterbacks.

One is Ben Roethlisberger. The other is Byron Leftwich, who’s resurrecting his pro career as Roethlisberger’s backup.

Leftwich, signed in August after Charlie Batch suffered a season-ending broken shoulder, might play a significant role when the Steelers resume their Super Bowl chase on Jan. 11.

Roethlisberger is expected to start despite suffering a concussion this past Sunday in a 31-0 win over the Browns. But in the remote chance he isn’t cleared to play, or if he struggles in the divisional round playoff game, Leftwich will be summoned.

“I really don’t have a clue,” Leftwich said when asked if Roethlisberger will start Jan. 11. “I’m just trying to do what I do every day, and that’s to be ready in case my number is called.”

The seventh pick of the 2003 draft, Leftwich was the Jaguars’ starting quarterback for three-plus years before suffering a season-ending ankle injury six games into the 2006 season.

Three of his starts were hard-fought games against the Steelers. In two of those games, Leftwich and the Jaguars won.

Leftwich is well-respected by his Steeler teammates for the way he’s played in four appearances this year. He also believes his past experience against the Steelers adds to the respect he’s getting in Pittsburgh.

“It started with the battles I had playing against this team,” Leftwich said. “I don’t think these guys look at me as a backup quarterback. They look at me as another quarterback on this football team who, if called upon, can help them win.”

Leftwich lost his starting job in Jacksonville just before the start of the 2007 season when coach Jack Del Rio switched to David Garrard. Leftwich was then signed by Atlanta but appeared in only three games before being released.

But when Batch got hurt, the Steelers brought Leftwich in for a tryout and signed him.

“I’ve been placed high on the pedestal before and then for two years being so low, you understand how to deal with football,” he said. “You just understand that whenever you get your opportunity, go out there and make plays and let everyone know you can still play.

“Things happen for a reason. I wouldn’t change anything in the world just to be part of this kind of team. It’s the best team I’ve been on.”

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/12/30/sports/steelers/doc495afeb8476cc512068973.txt

Galax Steeler
12-31-2008, 04:16 AM
I really like Leftwich alot and I will be curious to see what happens at the end of the year if we sign him to a new contract I could also see the end of the line for Batch he is good but is getting some age on him it will be interesting.

stillers4me
12-31-2008, 05:15 AM
“Things happen for a reason. I wouldn’t change anything in the world just to be part of this kind of team. It’s the best team I’ve been on.”

Smart man.

I appreciate everything Charlie has been to this team. I also appreciate what Byron has brought here. I still hope there's a way for him to stay. He would be a very wise investment.

markymarc
12-31-2008, 07:07 AM
While I would love to resign Lefty in the off season, no doubt he is going to move onto a team where he has a chance to be a starting QB again.

HometownGal
12-31-2008, 08:07 AM
While I would love to resign Lefty in the off season, no doubt he is going to move onto a team where he has a chance to be a starting QB again.

I'm with you there, marky. I'd love to keep Lefty as a backup, but as well as he has played in relief of Ben, there surely will be opportunities out there for him to pursue next season.

I believe Charlie will retire at the end of the season.

LetsRock
12-31-2008, 08:18 AM
I can see the RedSkins bailing on Campbell and going after Leftwich.

stlrtruck
12-31-2008, 09:43 AM
I can see the RedSkins bailing on Campbell and going after Leftwich.

I don't see Snyder pulling that trigger with the money they paid Campbell. But if you look at other teams needing a QB - Detroit, SF, Miami (sorry but Chad isn't the final answer), Tampa (it wouldn't surprise me if Garcia is gone), Kansas City, Arizona (depending on what Warner does).

GodofGridiron
12-31-2008, 10:23 AM
I expect Detroit is the place Byron will be in camp next year. Im just thankful he's on this roster on-deck should his number be called.

revefsreleets
12-31-2008, 10:26 AM
I think it depends ona couple thimgs. If he plays, and plays well in the playoffs, he's definitely gone.

BUT I can see the Steelers offering him pretty phat back-up cash if he's happy in that role. It's not a bad gig to carry the clipboard for a couple mil a year.

Dino 6 Rings
12-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Gruden may go after Lefty, he needs a QB obviously after the way Garcia gacked away this season.

Jets as well, don't kid yourself, Favre ain't the answer there and with a new coaching staff coming in, a QB is needed.

Buffalo could go after him, the two losers they have on their roster need sent away. Both suck and aren't the answer in Bills land.

Detroit of coarse, but Chicago has possibilities as well. Minnesota even if Jackson chokes away round one in the playoffs.

There are a lot of options for Lefty, he'll be very tough to hold on to.

Fire Haley
12-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Count me in the "Keep Lefty" bandwagon.

Is there anyone who would want to go back to Charlie Batch??

KeiselPower99
12-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Charlie could replace Ken Anderson as our qb coach. As for Byron I think he becomes a top priority this offseason for us. Fix the O line and resign Byron. He does have choices though and the guy will want to be a starter. Here is a list of teams that might be looking for a qb

Arizona - Have Warner and Leinart but is Leinart the answer long term??
Buffalo - Edwards seems to be Jaurons guy.
Chicago - Kyle Orton has won the job according to Ron Turner
Detroit - Byron is smarter then this.Culpepper Orlovsky and Stanton are there and they are predicted to draft a qb number 1.
Tennesee - Could be a dark horse if they aint convinced Vince Young is actually ready to play and get his head outta his ass.
Kansas City - They have 2 young qbs(Croyle and Thigpen) and they seem high on Thigpen.
Jets - Could be a decent spot with the right coach but if Favre returns then they are out.
Dolphins - They have Chad Pennington abd his future replacement in Chad Henne.
Minnesota - If Childress realizes Jackson isnt the answer then maybe.
Tampa Bay - He would get the chance to start but its Jon Gruden and he would get yanked as soon as he was named the starter.

steelreserve
12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't see Snyder pulling that trigger with the money they paid Campbell.

Why not? remember, they are exempt from the salary cap.

lilyoder6
12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
i think this was the kind of yr bryon needed to get back on his feet.. come into a winning program and be the back-up.. and when he did come in.. he had confidence building and he was healthy for once..

stlrtruck
12-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Why not? remember, they are exempt from the salary cap.

I think the exemption comes in the 2011 season. Therefore, Snyder is still under cap rules but he also doesn't waste money on single positions, he throws it to different position players.

I still think Campbell will be the answer in DC and Lefty will be a hard re-sign if he continues to play like he has and gets his number called. I see teams climbing over themselves to get a good QB.

HometownGal
12-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Is there anyone who would want to go back to Charlie Batch??

HELL NO.

I also advocate keeping Kenny Anderson on as the QB's coach. I think the guy does an outstanding job. :drink:

lilyoder6
12-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Charlie could replace Ken Anderson as our qb coach. As for Byron I think he becomes a top priority this offseason for us. Fix the O line and resign Byron. He does have choices though and the guy will want to be a starter. Here is a list of teams that might be looking for a qb

Arizona - Have Warner and Leinart but is Leinart the answer long term??
Buffalo - Edwards seems to be Jaurons guy.
Chicago - Kyle Orton has won the job according to Ron Turner
Detroit - Byron is smarter then this.Culpepper Orlovsky and Stanton are there and they are predicted to draft a qb number 1.
Tennesee - Could be a dark horse if they aint convinced Vince Young is actually ready to play and get his head outta his ass.
Kansas City - They have 2 young qbs(Croyle and Thigpen) and they seem high on Thigpen.
Jets - Could be a decent spot with the right coach but if Favre returns then they are out.
Dolphins - They have Chad Pennington abd his future replacement in Chad Henne.
Minnesota - If Childress realizes Jackson isnt the answer then maybe.
Tampa Bay - He would get the chance to start but its Jon Gruden and he would get yanked as soon as he was named the starter.

and the bad thing about that and bryon's case.. he would have to look at if any of these will draft any qb's in the draft.. there are/ could be many qb's coming out this yr

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't see Snyder pulling that trigger with the money they paid Campbell. But if you look at other teams needing a QB - Detroit, SF, Miami (sorry but Chad isn't the final answer), Tampa (it wouldn't surprise me if Garcia is gone), Kansas City, Arizona (depending on what Warner does).
WTF???? I THINK YA NEED TO VISIT PENNINGTONS STATS PAGE.....

# 9 - passing yds

# 1 - completion percentage
# 2 - passer rating
476 pass att..... only 7 int's
and he's doing it with far from stellar recievers !!!

chatman
12-31-2008, 06:10 PM
leftwich has lost weight this season-i have never seen him look so quick--he will definitely start for another team next year--no doubt about it

stlrtruck
12-31-2008, 06:34 PM
WFF???? I THINK YA NEED TO VISIT PENNINGTONS STATS PAGE.....

# 9 - passing yds

# 2 - passer rating

Not that I've done research on it, but I believe Pennington had similar numbers during his stint with the JETS.

I just don't see him as the final answer in Miami - that's just my opinion, sorry you didn't care for it too much.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :drink:

The Duke
12-31-2008, 06:35 PM
WFF???? I THINK YA NEED TO VISIT PENNINGTONS STATS PAGE.....

# 9 - passing yds

# 2 - passer rating

maybe he's talking about chad henne :chuckle:

He is their future. Pennington is their present for the next 2-3 years. They won't go for byron

And like you said, his nmbers really are impressive with unproven to average receivers

warddj86
12-31-2008, 07:02 PM

The thing about that is, if Ben goes down a la Tom Brady, and is out for the year, we can still win w/ a proven backup in Lefty.

alittlejazzbird
12-31-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm with you there, marky. I'd love to keep Lefty as a backup, but as well as he has played in relief of Ben, there surely will be opportunities out there for him to pursue next season.

I believe Charlie will retire at the end of the season.

Agree with you on both points...Byron deserves a chance to be a starter somewhere, and it won't ever be here unless something really bad happens to Ben. For purposes of the next month, however, I'm really glad Byron plays for us - it's a big relief to know a quarterback of his caliber is there if we need him, and the way things have been going, it's entirely possible that he'll see some playing time.

I think Charlie will see how he's doing in the spring and decide whether to retire or try for another season, but like you, I think he'll probably call it quits. And we were lucky to have had him for as long as we did.

lilyoder6
12-31-2008, 07:38 PM
well chad has won his 2nd comeback player award....

i think chad has some good stats this yr is b/c evryone over-looked him.. playing on the fins who went 1-15 and lost there first game.. i think teams were not rdy

Preacher
12-31-2008, 07:48 PM
I absolutely agree that I want Leftwich to come back. Batch didn't look too good last year when he did play. However, I am greatly to Batch for the years he has put into Pittsburgh.

Now, I want Leftwich to stay. Who knows? A chance to plant in Pittsburgh for the next 5-8 years, make a good paycheck, play some as well, and in the end, extend your career by a few years? I think that may be a great thing for Leftwich.

TackleMeBen
12-31-2008, 09:48 PM
I absolutely agree that I want Leftwich to come back. Batch didn't look too good last year when he did play. However, I am greatly to Batch for the years he has put into Pittsburgh.

Now, I want Leftwich to stay. Who knows? A chance to plant in Pittsburgh for the next 5-8 years, make a good paycheck, play some as well, and in the end, extend your career by a few years? I think that may be a great thing for Leftwich.
he could stay as a backup,make a good paycheck, and possible get a few rings in the process. i think i would stay in pittsburgh as a back-up even if that meant taking a discount:wink02:

MJ5150
01-01-2009, 02:23 AM
I'm sure he is. He'd be at home posting on internet message boards like us if it wasn't for the Steelers picking him up and paying $645K to throw 36 passes.

I'm not begrudging the guy, I'm happy to have him. I'm just saying he should be happy for the Steelers pulling him off the scrap pile.

-Mike

GBMelBlount
01-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Quote:

wow.

Chatman

leftwich has lost weight this season-i have never seen him look so quick

Agreed, but he still looked like a dork when he ran it in for that touchdown! :chuckle:

lilyoder6
01-01-2009, 11:19 AM
thats not bryon's fault.. he was born with 2 left feet

TackleMeBen
01-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Agreed, but he still looked like a dork when he ran it in for that touchdown

i am sure some of bens TDs havent looked pretty either:wink02:

Shoes
01-01-2009, 11:57 AM

I agree... and when we make the clean sweep of the playoffs and SB it will be all the more reason for him to stay with us. I think he likes it in Pittsburgh (coach, players, fan's) very much. And besides all that we have "Sweeeeeeed" :chuckle:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Agreed, but he still looked like a dork when he ran it in for that touchdown! :chuckle:

I think that is why no one made an attempt to tackle him. They though for sure he would roll his ankle and faceplant at any second.

GodofGridiron
01-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Leftwich is not gonna stick around in the 'Burgh as a backup regardless if we win the Bowl or otherwise. He's talented, he's been a franchise QB before in Jax'ville and starting QB's are paid handsomely in this league. Some GM if not several will ring his agent shortly after we win the Bowl or after our elimination. It would be nice if he stuck around, but it aint happening. Theres just to many places that have erratic QB play and Byron is a vet that can bring stability to the position.

TackleMeBen
01-01-2009, 12:28 PM
I think that is why no one made an attempt to tackle him. They though for sure he would roll his ankle and faceplant at any second.
oh man that would have been bad, that means we would have been stuck with dixon at qb..lol:chuckle:

T&B fan
01-01-2009, 12:36 PM

yes Batch looked scard last yr when he was in ,time to go ... and to keep Leftwich would be great , some one sould tell him about another QB we had for 6 yrs makeing good $$ as a back up Mike Tomczak .

thats not bryon's fault.. he was born with 2 left feet

looked more like 3 :chuckle:

JanBr7
01-01-2009, 01:49 PM
I see him playing for the Jets. Favre is probably gonna mess around with the retirement talk for a pretty long time. The Jets will be looking for a QB after Brett messes them over. (probably won't draft one 'hoping' that Brett will come back). Sorry to all the Brett fans -- I'm a Brett fan myself but I know he should go, and I think Byron would be a good fit for them. Too bad, but he wants to be a starter, IMO. This is just a great season when he sees a chance to help the team get a ring.

TackleMeBen
01-01-2009, 01:54 PM
if leftwich wants to end his career early, he can always go to detroit and play for them:sofunny::sofunny: