PDA

View Full Version : Is Pittsburgh the only team standing in Baltimore's way of the Super Bowl?

warddj86
12-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Baltimore's a truly proven team; and with a somewhat decent defense or an average defense, they can throw up a lot of points. Indy's defense is struggling, Miami's defense is unproven, San Diego's defense relies on the offense to score, so when they make a mistake, it doesn't kill them. Which leaves us and Tennessee. I honestly think that the Titans are going to choke in the playoffs, I really do. Other than Collins, has anybody on the Titans experienced winning in January games. I think come playoff time, both the Steelers and Ravens can beat the Titans. With all of the playoff teams and positions set, does anybody other than us and maybe Indianapolis jump out at you as someone who can take down Baltimore, because although they have an unproven rookie quarterback from Delaware in Joe Flacco, can they be stopped in the playoffs be just an average defense? Or will it take our #1 defense to bring them down to earth. Although they may not have shown it in their two games against us, they can put points on the board, and with their proven defense that can grind it out at the end of critical games, who's to say that they can be defeated by an Indianapolis, a Miami, a San Diego, or a Tennessee. It may be up to us to prevent a repeat of the 2000 Super Bowl.

Thoughts?

fansince'76
12-31-2008, 07:33 PM
Ravens to the SB? With a rookie HC and a rookie QB? Doubtful.

lilyoder6
12-31-2008, 07:34 PM
with the colts.. it doesn't matter if there def is struggling if they can put up 30+ points on u it's a done deal esp w/ that clutch kicker they have..

but other than that i agree with u.. i was suprised that the fins did so well this yr and won the division.. and the way the wildcat actually has worked.. but from afar they rly don't look to be a playoff team..

westcoastransplant
12-31-2008, 07:39 PM
The only thing about the Ravens that is proven is the defense. A rookie QB playing great is not something you want to bank on in the playoffs. Sure, they have a good running game but we've seen what happens to Flacco when he faces a good defense. I would be more worried about the Colts the way Manning is playing right now.

Dino 6 Rings
12-31-2008, 07:52 PM
The first team in Baltimore's way is Miami.

That's why you play the game. If it was just as easy as picking who you think should win, well it wouldn't be any fun at all.

Baltimore would also have to go to Tennessee if they Beat Miami, and I'm pretty sure they lost to Tennesse once already this year.

So No. Baltimore has a tough road ahead, and its starts with the Dolphins.

GridironWarrior
12-31-2008, 08:36 PM
The Ravens do 2 things I wish the Steelers could do. Protect the QB and run the ball.They are a Super Bowl Caliber team. Pitt this year isn't and I hate to say it but it's true.

fansince'76
12-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Go pull for the Ravens then. :coffee:

GridironWarrior
12-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Nah no way man. Just being a realist Steelers fan. I can't recall a team winning a Super Bowl with an Oline that gave up close to 50 sacks.

43Hitman
12-31-2008, 08:55 PM

It's possible though. Remember we were only one game away from doing it in 04'. We had the same set up too.A rookie QB, a good running game, and a really good defense. The only difference is the coach. So it's possible, and to be honest, if we don't get there I would like to see our division represented in the SB.

The Duke
12-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Naw, i dont think their QB situation is good enough to get through the playoffs. I dont think any steelers fan on this forum (with at least two brain cells) wants to see a 2nd rematch between these two teams. I know i dont.

I do. Pitt- Baltimore games are the best

If the steelers can't beat them 3 times they don't deserve the super bowl. And if the ravens lose 3 times against the steelers they don't deserve it either. Simple as that

Rivalry games are awesome, and this rivalry will only get better in the coming years

But anyway....the colts and titans can easily beat them like they already did this year. Flacco is the wild card on that team, if he plays like a rookie they are doomed, if he plays just average they can win it all

43Hitman
12-31-2008, 09:05 PM
yeah, i guess ur right. I guess im just sick to my stomach from throwing up so much during the two steeler/raven games this year :flap:

I hear ya man, Duke is correct though. As much as I would be sick to my stomach watching them kill each other again, who ever won would definitely have earned it.

steelpride12
12-31-2008, 09:07 PM
We beat them twice this season. The colts are what worry me. They can have a bad game on defense and Seyton will still lead them to 28+ points, and they just look deadlier and deadlier as the season goes along.

kmsteelerwr15
12-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Nah no way man. Just being a realist Steelers fan. I can't recall a team winning a Super Bowl with an Oline that gave up close to 50 sacks.

ya and i dont remember any 6th seed that won a Super Bowl or any team that one a Super Bowl with 3 road playoff victories......but we are the Pittsburgh Steelers and we prove all wrong :tt03:

Rhee Rhee
01-01-2009, 12:13 AM
It's possible though. Remember we were only one game away from doing it in 04'. We had the same set up too.A rookie QB, a good running game, and a really good defense. The only difference is the coach. So it's possible, and to be honest, if we don't get there I would like to see our division represented in the SB.

that coach went two a super bowl game and 2 AFC championship games before.

back to the topic... baltimore is not the only team standing in our way... i'm fearful of every team in the playoffs... even miami, it's just that some teams are more frightening than others... (indy, san diego, tennesse, baltimore)

Steelman16
01-01-2009, 01:11 AM
I'm afraid of nobody. Homeristic? No.

We've proven we can stand with the best this year. We might not've won all of those games, but we won more times than not.

In my opinion, we are the only ones standing in the way of our 6th Super Bowl ring.

But back to Baltimore. I think Miami could actually bring it to them. They don't have much to lose and are playing pretty loose. If they can scare Flacco early, they can win. But they'll have to score points against that Baltimore defense.

If Balitmore passes that hurdle, then they face Tennessee. The Titans are capable of completely dismantling them.

Then, they'll probably face us or the Colts in the AFCCG. Tough road to travel. But no, we're not the only team standing in their way.

Boomerang
01-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Whoever we face if our D stays focussed we can get enough points on the board to go all the way as long as our O play calling is on the money.

Galax Steeler
01-01-2009, 06:58 AM
I have to agree we are not the only ones standing in their way all the teams in the playoffs got here for a reason playing good football so any of them has a good shot to go to the superbowl.

GBMelBlount
01-01-2009, 07:07 AM
fansince'76

43hitman

Panama Duke
Flacco is the wild card on that team, if he plays like a rookie they are doomed, if he plays just average they can win it all

This exchange pretty well sums up how I feel. I gotta say, Flacco has looked pretty good for a rookie at times this year, but will he crack under the pressure? I dunno....but probably at some point.

d2609j
01-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Lets just hope for Miami and San Diego wins this weekend!

Texasteel
01-01-2009, 09:21 AM
The Ravens do 2 things I wish the Steelers could do. Protect the QB and run the ball.They are a Super Bowl Caliber team. Pitt this year isn't and I hate to say it but it's true.

The Steelers did 2 things the Ravens couldn't do. Win the 1st games, and Win the 2nd game.

HometownGal
01-01-2009, 10:52 AM
The Steelers did 2 things the Ravens couldn't do. Win the 1st games, and Win the 2nd game.

AMEN brotha! :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 10:54 AM
As far as I'm concerned everyone is in the way of everyone for the Super Bowl.

lilyoder6
01-01-2009, 11:14 AM
ben didn't play so well in his rookie season in the playoffs.. and ben had a bye week to plan...

i think the 1st off drive will show us how flacco will fair 4 the game

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 12:04 PM
ben didn't play so well in his rookie season in the playoffs.. and ben had a bye week to plan...

i think the 1st off drive will show us how flacco will fair 4 the game

How about the focus when comes to the Steelers stays on how to get to the AFCCG.

cubanstogie
01-01-2009, 12:16 PM

I could have sworn we beat them twice this year already.

TackleMeBen
01-01-2009, 02:26 PM
I could have sworn we beat them twice this year already.
yes, but three times and this in the playoffs. it will be tough

HometownGal
01-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Next pessimist gets a kick in the nards :kick:

You're gonna have a tired leg, Psyycho - there's a bunch of 'em around here. :shake02:

Edman
01-01-2009, 03:55 PM
This Ravens hype will die out this weekend.

You think they were the ones who won the AFC North, whooped the Steelers in both games uncontested, and had the best record in the league. The way some people and the pundits talk them up on here.

I'd be more afraid of the team that won nine straight games, has a great QB back in MVP form, and actually beat us. Fluky maybe, but they did beat us.

ricksteelers55
01-01-2009, 11:13 PM
What's the hype about the ravens for ? they got torched by the colts 31-0 i think,they lost to the titans,they lost twice against us and we are the only team standing in baltimore's way to the superbowl? i dont think so

you have to be honnest and the colts are the team to beat.

then you have us and the titans

and then you can bring the ravens

RoethlisBURGHer
01-02-2009, 05:44 AM
I dont wanna see another Steelers-Ravens match up this year.

I believe we can beat them three times in a single season/playoffs, but I wouldn't want the price that would come with playing them a third time, the high posibility of more major injuries.

I wouldnt put it past these jerkoffs to make an actual attept at putting serious injuries on this team.

We all know what Lewis did to Mendenhall and that part of the Ravens gameplan was to knock him out. They will always have a bounty out on Hines Ward.

They feel cheated from the last loss, so I would think they'd be looking to put Holmes out for the Super Bowl.

Not to mention they'd be trying to give Ben another concussion.

steelreserve
01-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't know about that. The Ravens are tough, but really any team in the playoffs could beat them. They didn't really play in any "big" games except against us, the Giants and the Titans, and they lost all four.

stlrz fan
01-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Do you think Ravens fans are this worried about facing Pittsburgh? They're hoping for it and we should be too. What a statement that would be to beat the Ravens to go to the SB. Legendary!! C'MON Believe!!!!!

alcatrazman
01-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I belive they are, but can the steelers beat the same team 3 times in one year? I hope so, and can Big Ben come back from his last injury? a few years ago it took him several weeks to get back into the swing of things.

stlrtruck
01-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Flacco will find himself in another level and he'll show his inexperience against the dolphins.

stlrz fan
01-02-2009, 12:53 PM
IF we plat the Ravens at least it won't be Bens first game back. First things first lets let the Defense do their work in the first game and make for a smooth return for Ben. At least if we do face Baltimore it will have been three weeks since the concussion. Also, Miami may play hard and tire Baltimore for the following week. I definitely do not see them running the table

steeltheone
01-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Just like the Steeler, Houston Oilers games in the late seventys :tt02:

Crow-Magnon
01-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Baltimore's a truly proven team; and with a somewhat decent defense or an average defense, they can throw up a lot of points. Indy's defense is struggling, Miami's defense is unproven, San Diego's defense relies on the offense to score, so when they make a mistake, it doesn't kill them. Which leaves us and Tennessee. I honestly think that the Titans are going to choke in the playoffs, I really do. Other than Collins, has anybody on the Titans experienced winning in January games. I think come playoff time, both the Steelers and Ravens can beat the Titans. With all of the playoff teams and positions set, does anybody other than us and maybe Indianapolis jump out at you as someone who can take down Baltimore, because although they have an unproven rookie quarterback from Delaware in Joe Flacco, can they be stopped in the playoffs be just an average defense? Or will it take our #1 defense to bring them down to earth. Although they may not have shown it in their two games against us, they can put points on the board, and with their proven defense that can grind it out at the end of critical games, who's to say that they can be defeated by an Indianapolis, a Miami, a San Diego, or a Tennessee. It may be up to us to prevent a repeat of the 2000 Super Bowl.

Thoughts?

I won't argue one way ot the other. This is the playoffs, and with the exception of the Cardinals, any team is capable of beating another and making it to the SB.

But I will argue this: Baltimore's a truly proven team; and with a somewhat decent defense or an average defense, they can throw up a lot of points

Pittsburgh's defense ended up #1 and Baltimore's was #2. The Ravens defense is certainly better than "somewhat decent" or "average."

I truly hope they meet again in the AFC Championship. But first.....Miami.

stlrtruck
01-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I truly hope they meet again in the AFC Championship. But first.....Miami.

Look, I won't lie - I do not want to face the ratbirds again - so I'm hoping what starts in Miami ends in Miami for the ratbirds!!!

Crow-Magnon
01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Look, I won't lie - I do not want to face the ratbirds again - so I'm hoping what starts in Miami ends in Miami for the ratbirds!!!

No problem. I think Miami would have hard time putting up 10 points against the Steelers D. If I were you, that's who I would want to face.

stlrtruck
01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
No problem. I think Miami would have hard time putting up 10 points against the Steelers D. If I were you, that's who I would want to face.

I just don't like the odds of facing a team the third time, especially after sweeping them. Plus, as it's been mentioned here before, the ratbirds and Steelers seem to knock the hell out of each other when they play and that's not needed in order to win a Super Bowl.

The AFC is definitely full of revenge games in the playoffs:

Miami lost to the ratbirds earlier this year
The last time the ratbirds and dolphins played in the playoffs, the ratbirds won 20-3 (or something like that)
If the Steelers play the ratbirds, it's a divisional opponent and there is the sweep - for the Steelers it's the shear beauty of knocking the ratbirds out of the playoffs and dashing all hopes - thus giving the city and the fans the browns chant of "There's always next year!"
If the Steelers play the colts, the colts beat us earlier this year
If the Steelers play the chargers, we beat them in the last minutes of the game
If the Steelers play the titans, we'll just call it The Stomp