PDA

View Full Version : BILL (COWHER) TELLS JETS LOOK ELSEWHERE: FAVRE TO BLAME?

SteelersMongol
01-01-2009, 08:04 AM
There will be no Cowher Power for the Jets.

Bill Cowher informed the team last night he is not interested in their head-coaching job, and it could be because he doesn't want to coach Brett Favre.

The former Steeler coach was the clear-cut favorite to replace Eric Mangini among Jets fans, and the team's ownership. Now, Woody Johnson must move on to Plan B.

Talks between the Jets and Cowher never advanced past the preliminary stage. The Jets hoped to interview him for the job sometime later this week, but late last night the team released a statement that Cowher had rebuffed their overtures.

"After reaching out to Coach Cowher's representatives, we were informed tonight that he is not a candidate for the position," Jet spokesman Bruce Speight said in an e-mail.

While the Jets hoped to woo Cowher with a boatload of money, the marriage appeared to be unlikely from the outset. Sources close to Cowher said he did not want to have Favre as his quarterback, and that he also wanted to bring in people he was familiar with to handle personnel.

A source familiar with Cowher's thinking said before last night's decision came down that the former Steeler boss would have to receive assurances from the Jets that the 39-year-old Favre no longer was in the picture before agreeing to take control.

"There's no way he's taking Brett Favre as his quarterback," said one person close to Cowher.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12312008/sports/jets/bill_tells_jets_look_elsewhere__favre_to_146662.ht m

Hmm. What's with between our ex-coach & Favre? :noidea:

Galax Steeler
01-01-2009, 08:15 AM
He is probably figuring that Farves best years are behind him and he is wanting to bring someone in that is much younger and build the team around another quarterback.

Dino 6 Rings
01-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Bill would want to come in and clean house and start with this own staff and players. Having a future Hall of Famer like Favre on the roster has the potential of splitting the locker room from day one.

KeiselPower99
01-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Cant blame him for not wanting Brett and wanting his own staff and personal.

LambertIsGod58
01-01-2009, 09:59 AM
My first read was that Bill simply doesn't want to coach. It could be that their "source" is wrong. :noidea:

But if he doesn't want to coach Favre, I can understand why. Brett is a grizzled old veteran who's set in his forcing-bad-passes ways.

I agree with your first take........Unless I hear it directly from Cowher's mouth, I don't believe it. Could it be true? Absolutely......If it were my job to make a the Jet's a winner ASAP, Favre wouldn't be a liability if he came back IMO. It would be his second year with this team and he has been hurt. Where I disagree is we need to remember that just last year, he took his team to the NFC title game. And this year, the Jets just missed the playoffs.

HometownGal
01-01-2009, 10:03 AM
I just can't see The Chin saying that and I agree - he just doesn't want to HC next season.

I love Favre, but he is a bit of an egomaniac and we all know that Cowher doesn't tolerate muscle heads on his team.

lilyoder6
01-01-2009, 11:04 AM
i think favre's ego and what could be another season of, "the days of Favre's lives" cowher did not want to be part of

TeeJay
01-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Well I'm glad.

Bill was HC at the best, and got the ring - he doesn't need to go anywhere else.

Stay as a Pundit Bill.....we know you're a Steeler. You bleed Black and Gold.

No need to try and prove anything else now, cause you've already proven it....to The Steeler Nation.

And that's worth damn more than any contract going!

OneForTheToe
01-01-2009, 02:37 PM
I agree. I don't think Cowher wants to coach. And by "don't think Cowher wants to coach, " I mean - Kay said Bill doesn't want to coach.:chuckle:

We know Bill isn't that big on franchise QB's anyhow. If the first 12 years or so of Cowhers reign taught us anything about Bill, it is that he thinks he can win a Super Bowl with a "just don't lose the game" type of QB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Take a look at all the guys on the Jets now coming out and saying that Favre was not a teammate, but rather was distant to them in the locker room.

Look at Thomas Jones saying that there was resentment towards Favre because he throws a lot of INT's, but continued to play and cost them games. Some have eluded to the fact that Mangini didnt want him and gets fired because of Favre failing to perform in the stretch.

Cowher knows enough to stay away from any hornets nest where self centered players like Favre, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, etc are.

MACH1
01-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I agree with your first take........Unless I hear it directly from Cowher's mouth, I don't believe it. Could it be true? Absolutely......If it were my job to make a the Jet's a winner ASAP, Favre wouldn't be a liability if he came back IMO. It would be his second year with this team and he has been hurt. Where I disagree is we need to remember that just last year, he took his team to the NFC title game. And this year, the Jets just missed the playoffs.

I'm sure Mangina thinks the same after that last int. and then getting canned.

lilyoder6
01-01-2009, 02:58 PM
i think that he didn't want to be part of a disfunctional team.. and kay is pulling all the strings right now anyway

Godfather
01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Take a look at all the guys on the Jets now coming out and saying that Favre was not a teammate, but rather was distant to them in the locker room.

Look at Thomas Jones saying that there was resentment towards Favre because he throws a lot of INT's, but continued to play and cost them games. Some have eluded to the fact that Mangini didnt want him and gets fired because of Favre failing to perform in the stretch.

Cowher knows enough to stay away from any hornets nest where self centered players like Favre, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, etc are.

What's strange about taht is Favre didn't have a reputation for being aloof in Green Bay.

The Patriot
01-01-2009, 08:53 PM
What's strange about taht is Favre didn't have a reputation for being aloof in Green Bay.

Favre only walks on rose petals in Green Bay.

missedgehead
01-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Well, when I gave my opinion that Farve was not exactly a team player and I considered him a "me" guy, everyone here jump down my throat. Well, well, well, look what we are hearing from players like Thomas Jones who from what I have heard has never been a trouble maker: Farve is "distant." Farve should have been benched due to his throwing INTs." "Farve's mistakes were ticking me off." Etc, etc, etc. Farve is not exactly the patron saint of the NFL that his fans portray him to be. Besides, he NEVER wanted to go to the Jets. He wanted to stay a Packer. Of course, that was a nasty split.

Stlrs4Life
01-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I highly doubt that was Cowhers reasoning. Sounds like the media once again stirring up BS. Nobody stops to think that maybe Cowher doesn't want to coach anyhere in the NFL in 2009.

beSteelmyheart
01-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Cowher isn't going to play head games with that ego maniac & they all know it. It's refreshing to know that Bill isn't joining the Favre circle jerk.

Godfather
01-01-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm sure Mangina thinks the same after that last int. and then getting canned.

Wouldn't have mattered anyway. Jets needed help they didn't get.

They lost their shot in Seattle.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-02-2009, 06:04 AM
I think that it's more Cowher doesn't want to coach in 2009 than it's Cowher doesn't want to coach Brett Favre.

However, can't blame him for not wanting to coach Favre for the following reasons:

1. Favre is a very stubborn person who will make the deep throw into triple coverage more often than the 5-yard out route that's wide open.

2. Favre is old and won't be playing much longer, if at all. I doubt Cowher wants to go to a team where he'll be searching for a new QB after a season or two.

3. Favre played horrible down the stretch this season. Yeah, it was because of injury which means Favre's body could start to be breaking down due to the stress it takes from playing QB in the NFL.

4. I doubt he wants to deal with the annual "Will he or wont he retire?" campaign put on ever offseason by the media and Favre himself, sometimes not until after the NFL Draft.

revefsreleets
01-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Cowher had a belly full of horribly inconsistent QB play with Kordella. He's not going to put up with that kind of crap for even one year.

Fire Haley
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/4006/billcowherby0.jpg

revefsreleets
01-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Maybe next year...

vasteeler
01-02-2009, 10:45 AM

UGH!!!!!!!! Thats disgusting
you should be banned for that :laughing:

lilyoder6
01-02-2009, 10:46 AM
if the boys choke again next yr i see wade going and jerry boy to open up his check book

RoethlisBURGHer
01-02-2009, 01:12 PM
if the boys choke again next yr i see wade going and jerry boy to open up his check book

I still dont think Cowher would go to Dallas.

Jerry Jones is way to hands on for Cowher.

lilyoder6
01-02-2009, 02:10 PM
there is that problem.. but i think that JJ could offer some ser cash that will make cowher think twice

SteelCurtain7
01-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I just can't see The Chin saying that and I agree - he just doesn't want to HC next season.

I love Favre, but he is a big fricking egomaniac and we all know that Cowher doesn't tolerate prima donnas and divas on his team.

There you are--fixed. :rofl:

RoethlisBURGHer
01-02-2009, 04:48 PM
there is that problem.. but i think that JJ could offer some ser cash that will make cowher think twice

I highly doubt that. If it were all about the money for Cowher, he would have taken the Browns or Jets jobs.

tony hipchest
01-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I highly doubt that. If it were all about the money for Cowher, he would have taken the Browns or Jets jobs.
or the washington job last year.

Preacher
01-02-2009, 05:44 PM
What year is his daughter in school?

Amazing how everyone thought Cowher was just doing it for the money... and it turns out that he really DID care about his family.

When his daughter graduates, he comes back to the team nearest his home and an ownership that lets him control the team.

You gotta wonder about Tampa Bay in a year or two.

beSteelmyheart
01-02-2009, 06:37 PM
What year is his daughter in school?

Amazing how everyone thought Cowher was just doing it for the money... and it turns out that he really DID care about his family.

When his daughter graduates, he comes back to the team nearest his home and an ownership that lets him control the team.

You gotta wonder about Tampa Bay in a year or two.

It is refreshing to see, isn't it?
Not only that, but any team who wants him will have to "compete" with his history of working for the Pittsburgh Steelers, who can beat that? Maybe it's not so much about the money, he's already been a major part of the most storied franchise in football!:tt03:

BehindSteelCurtain
01-02-2009, 11:44 PM
The whole Favre thing is getting anoying.

Fire Haley
01-03-2009, 12:57 PM

UGH!!!!!!!! Thats disgusting
you should be banned for that :laughing:

You should be giving me karma for that.

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 09:41 AM
It IS about money with Cowher. Guarantee he comes back for no less than 9 mil a year.