PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Ferentz to the Brownies?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
01-01-2009, 05:12 PM
FERENTZ DOESN’T SAY HE’S NOT GOING TO THE NFL

[Editor's note: With our good friend MDS making a Schrute-style departure to Staples, I'll be taking over CFT for the immediate future. But we'll soon be working some new writers into the mix.]

Immediately after pulling off a 31-10 thumping of South Carolina in the Vandalay Outback Bowl, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz addressed rumors and reports that he’ll become the head coach of the NFL team that hires Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli to be its General Manager.

Said Ferentz: “Scott’s a great friend of mine, and I think it’s a mutual thing. I think it’s presumptuous to think anybody knows what he’s doing right now, and he and I haven’t talked in three weeks. We’ve both been doing our jobs. I’ve got a great job at Iowa, I’ve said that many, many times. The people are fantastic, and I just feel very, very fortunate.”

Asked where the NFL fits on his “to do” list, Ferentz said, “I don’t have a ‘to do’ list. I never have. I just try to live every day and enjoy them, and I can’t think of a year I’ve enjoyed much more than this one.”

The Hawkeyes finished the year at 9-4. After three straight wins and then three straight losses to open the year, Iowa won six of seven, including an upset of then-No. 3 Penn State.

Ferentz, 53, has spent ten years at Iowa. He previously worked at the NFL level as an assistant with the Browns and the Ravens.

Ferentz’s failure to make an equivocal denial of his possible departure undoubtedly will be used against the Hawkeyes in the ongoing process of recruiting high-school players, who’ll sign their letters of intent in early February.

http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/2009/01/01/ferentz-doesnt-say-hes-not-going-to-the-nfl/

Yeah...The Browns might be screwed...or they might not....Look who else really wanted Ferentz back in '07:

Following the 2006 NFL season, rumors circulated that Ferentz may have been in consideration for the Pittsburgh Steelers' head coaching job after Bill Cowher stepped down. However, before Cowher's departure, Ferentz was asked about his possible interest in the position, and stated: “I know that staff pretty well and they’ve got some good guys in that building. My guess is that's where they would go. But I’m not interested, and I doubt they are, either. I’ve got a great job right here.”[citation needed] The Steelers job eventually went to Mike Tomlin.

For some weird reason, him and mangini liked being here under da' hoodie, and are still friends with folks in the Indians Organization.

Fire Haley
01-01-2009, 05:55 PM
From Cowher.... to Mangini to a college coach?

LOL.. you poor Brownie fans.. you guys are so desperate for a coach that you will latch on to anyone with a pulse.

It's like you're the ugly chick at the prom, can't find a dance partner?

Texasteel
01-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Kirk Ferentz was a pretty succesful assistant in the pros before he started his stay at Iowa. Pro teams have been trying to get him for years. I don't know if you can get him or not, but I think he would make a good head coach for you.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
01-01-2009, 07:35 PM
From Cowher.... to Mangini to a college coach?

LOL.. you poor Brownie fans.. you guys are so desperate for a coach that you will latch on to anyone with a pulse.

It's like you're the ugly chick at the prom, can't find a dance partner?

If Ferentz gets the gig..word on the street is Mangina will be DC...I like him more in that position regardless of the situation.

Fire Haley
01-01-2009, 08:48 PM
You need to find a GM first and let him hire his coach.

Meanwhile, it wouldn't surprise me if Jerry Jones fires Wade afterall and hires Shanny.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
01-01-2009, 09:02 PM
You need to find a GM first and let him hire his coach.

Meanwhile, it wouldn't surprise me if Jerry Jones fires Wade afterall and hires Shanny.

Ferentz only comes after Pioli hired, hence why he's being disccused.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Kirk Ferentz was a pretty succesful assistant in the pros before he started his stay at Iowa. Pro teams have been trying to get him for years. I don't know if you can get him or not, but I think he would make a good head coach for you.

I would be glad to have him out of my PSU hair if he leaves to go the Browns. lol.

Fire Haley
01-01-2009, 09:40 PM
The only thing going on in Iowa is corn and pig styes, why would anyone want to live there? There must be something wrong with that guy.

Stlrs4Life
01-01-2009, 09:40 PM
For some weird reason, him and mangini liked being here under da' hoodie, and are still friends with folks in the Indians Organization.

Friends? Isn't Mangina married to the GM of the Indians sister? Makes them more than friends.

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2009, 09:41 PM
The only thing going on in Iowa is corn and pig styes, why would anyone want to live there? There must be something wrong with that guy.

His star RB is going to the Draft to.

beSteelmyheart
01-01-2009, 10:21 PM
First the Browns talk of yet another Cheatriots cast-off....Haven't they learned yet that those guys might be a little over rated? And now considering another college coach? Have they forgotten Botch Davis?

tony hipchest
01-01-2009, 10:29 PM
the constant courting of ferentz reminds me of the courting of butch davis, steve spurrier, and nick saban.

add in the likes of bobby petrino and lane kiffen and i can think of a better head coach for the browns. :thumbsup:

KeiselPower99
01-01-2009, 11:19 PM
What the hell do the Browns have to lose here??? Basically they $hitcanned the entire front office for Cowher get shot down and know have no idea where they are going. Pioli to the Browns seems like a done thing and Im pretty postive Mangini gets the job. If it goes down to the 4th person and its Ferentz there is alot of worse canidates out there(Art Shell)

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
01-01-2009, 11:48 PM
I don't think Cowher was the whole reason behind all the firings, Savage got fired for acting like a weasel behind the scenes from the sound of it.

Pioli is plan B, I do think that is true. Is he who I want? No, but I'm not the one choosing the new image/face for an NFL franchise. He's at least experienced and has a lot of good credentials. (Hate the Pats all you want, but the team is talented as hell.)

Is Ferentz the answer? Can't say..The other rumor going around is that Spagnuolo of the Giants really impressed Lerner, same with Mangini apparently. I'll at least give him credit for rather than simply going after the hot canidiate he's interviewing as many as possible, with the hope I guess in finding the next tomlin.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-02-2009, 06:15 AM
I would be really afraid if the Browns got Spagnuolo or the DC for the Titans. I think those two can turn a franchise around, and the Browns are turn-aroundable (I think I just made up a word).

xfl2001fan
01-02-2009, 08:43 AM
I wouldn't mind having Spagnuolo (Giants DC) as our new HC. Of course, if he does that, we'll likely go to a 4-3 defense...which also wouldn't bother me. Same with that guy from Tennessee. Ultimately, I don't care who we get, so long as they turn this franchise around to resemble a real football team that can be a legitimate contender year in and year out.

revefsreleets
01-02-2009, 09:27 AM
The list of successfl college coaches in the NFL is about as long as the line to buy Arizona Cardinals playoff tickets.

SteelCurtain7
01-02-2009, 04:15 PM

Untrue. I come from there, so let's skip the generalities, shall we? They make you look silly.

Back on-topic: here's hoping that Coach Kirk stays put. Go Iowa!!!!!!! :tt02:

Fire Haley
01-03-2009, 01:14 PM
We're all bozos on this bus.

Newest rumor update:

On ESPN radio Chris Mortenson just said he hears its unlikely Pioli is going to be with the Browns. He says it now appears Mangini will be named Head Coach and that McCreight or another of the Baltimore front office people (not Ozzie) would take over as GM.

McCreight + Mangini = Savage + RAC

KeiselPower99
01-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Didnt they learn their lesson after Savage and Romeo???

beSteelmyheart
01-03-2009, 06:53 PM
I heard today that they are now going after Mangini-another Patriots cast off..Not that I have anything against the guy, I think he got sold down the river by Favre IMO.
Too bad they can't hire the Rooneys as 'consultants" to find a coach for them!:wink02:

MDSteel15
01-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I heard today that they are now going after Mangini-another Patriots cast off..Not that I have anything against the guy, I think he got sold down the river by Favre IMO.
Too bad they can't hire the Rooneys as 'consultants" to find a coach for them!:wink02:

Let's not do that and just keep beating the crap out of them! :thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
01-03-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't care who we get, so long as they turn this franchise around to resemble a real football team that can be a legitimate contender year in and year out.
so i take it your not a traditionalist.......:flap:

43Hitman
01-03-2009, 09:17 PM

Excuse me but I was born and raised in Iowa. It is a great state where people are down to earth and level headed. You should visit sometime. I wish I still lived there to be honest.

SteelCurtain7
01-04-2009, 04:41 AM

I was discussing this with my bro yesterday--the Jets should have kept Mangini and fired Favre!!!!!!!! :rofl:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2009, 09:46 AM
This Ferenz thing is just a smokescreen .......they really want Mangini to continue the long tradition of the Browns sucking!!!

RoethlisBURGHer
01-04-2009, 10:46 AM
This Ferenz thing is just a smokescreen .......they really want Mangini to continue the long tradition of the Browns sucking!!!

Good, that's one Browns tradition I absolutley love! :laughing::tt03:

T.Richardson
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
maybe they can get the Browns back to doing this:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/CWEBB04_/CoolerHeads2.gif

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 03:09 PM

There ya go...

Mangini + Kok = Romeo + Savage

Letting the coach pick the GM? hahahahaha

Browns eye executive for Ravens
Mangini's top choice for GM to be interviewed, source says

By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal sports writer
Monday, Jan 05, 2009

If Eric Mangini does have an inside track on the Browns' coaching job, as Chris Mortensen of ESPN and Jay Glazer of Fox Sports continued to report Sunday, the path has been cleared for the Browns to interview Mangini's first choice for general manager.

A league source said the Browns asked for and received permission to talk to George Kokinis, the Baltimore Ravens' director of pro personnel for the past six seasons. But nothing has been scheduled, the source said, as owner Randy Lerner continues to explore all options.

Kokinis began his NFL scouting career with the Browns in 1991 after serving as an intern in the operations department. He has worked 18 years with Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome. Mangini came to the Browns in 1994 as a ball boy and public relations intern and moved up to coaches' assistant under Bill Belichick in 1995.

A close friend of Mangini's and, like him, a native of Connecticut, Kokinis serves on the board of directors of Mangini's foundation, which benefits under-resourced children and teachers.

Mangini, 37, was the first person interviewed Tuesday after Lerner fired coach Romeo Crennel and General Manager Phil Savage, and Lerner is said to be fascinated with Mangini. Reportedly during his interview, Mangini identified Kokinis as someone he would be comfortable working with. The disconnect between Savage and Crennel became an issue during their 24-40 four-year reign.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/37077764.html

beSteelmyheart
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I was discussing this with my bro yesterday--the Jets should have kept Mangini and fired Favre!!!!!!!! :rofl:
Yep! I'm not sold on Mangini being a bad coach just because he got fired. I wonder how much he & Favre began to butt heads as the season went on.
After all, didn't Mangini blow the lid on the Cheatriots?:applaudit:
I welcome a healthier Browns team, it will reignite an old rivalry & that is always a fun thing.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Excuse me but I was born and raised in Iowa. It is a great state where people are down to earth and level headed. You should visit sometime. I wish I still lived there to be honest.

Don't mind me - I'm just a dik.

You should see what I say about Texas - and I lived in San Antonio for awhile - great city - the state sucks.