PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger’s Injury Highlights Nerve Center for Head Trauma

mesaSteeler
01-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Roethlisberger’s Injury Highlights Nerve Center for Head Trauma
By ALAN SCHWARZ
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/02/sports/football/02steelers.html?ref=football

fansince'76
01-02-2009, 01:10 AM
I think the article is making an apples to oranges comparison here. Webster, Long and Strzelczyk were all linemen, and as such were essentially getting their helmets literally smashed backwards into their heads due to violent collisions on every play. I think that probably had more to do with their neurological problems than anything. Look at guys like Staubach and Bradshaw - neither of them are "punchy," and both of them, particularly Staubach, had more than their share of concussions during their playing careers. The nature of the positions of OL/DL and QB are obviously COMPLETELY different - I think the typical lineman is probably subject to a lot more head trauma than a QB.

stillers4me
01-02-2009, 06:33 AM
When Tomlin said that Ben was fine and insinuated that Ben "just had a concussion", I didn't take it that he was dismissing the seriousness of concussions. I took it that he was telling us that Ben had no neck or spine injuries or any other type of injury other than the concussion.

Galax Steeler
01-02-2009, 08:24 AM
I have to agree with franchise on this one the line takes more of a pouning the the quarterback the lineman are going toe to toe on every play and the quarterback dosn't get hit everytime.

HometownGal
01-02-2009, 08:54 AM
I think the article is making an apples to oranges comparison here. Webster, Long and Strzelczyk were all linemen, and as such were essentially getting their helmets literally smashed backwards into their heads due to violent collisions on every play. I think that probably had more to do with their neurological problems than anything. Look at guys like Staubach and Bradshaw - neither of them are "punchy," and both of them, particularly Staubach, had more than their share of concussions during their playing careers. The nature of the positions of OL/DL and QB are obviously COMPLETELY different - I think the typical lineman is probably subject to a lot more head trauma than a QB.

I agree, Gary.

Also take a look at Steve Young and Troy Aikman. Both of them had numerous concussions throughout their respective careers and they seem to be just fine.

I also didn't take Tomlin's statement about Ben to be a "rush to judgment". He simply said "“he [Ben] is not permanently injured or scarred at this point — he just has a concussion.” Tomlin, imho, was letting everyone know that there was no spinal cord or serious brain damage and that Ben simply had a concussion. He wasn't downplaying anything.

Hapa
01-02-2009, 09:54 AM

I think probably the linemen get a little messed up not from the concussions, but from all those tiny brain injuries. Just like in boxing, I don't think it's the knockouts that messes them up, just the build up of all those punches.