PDA

View Full Version : NFL gives Arizona a *second* extension to avoid playoff game TV blackout

nojobny
01-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Arizona gets another blackout deadline extension

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The NFL has granted a second, final 24-hour extension of its television blackout deadline for the Arizona Cardinals' wild card playoff game against Atlanta on Saturday.

The team has until 2:30 p.m. on Friday to sell its remaining tickets. A sellout crowd is necessary for the NFL to lift its blackout of the home television market.

The NFL had already extended the deadline 24 hours to 2:30 p.m. on Thursday. In a news release, the team said 3,700 tickets remained.

"Based on the activity we've seen the last couple of days and particularly in the last 24 hours, we're very optimistic that this extension will get us where we need to be," said Ron Minegar, the Cardinals executive vice president and chief operating officer.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3805057)

MasterOfPuppets
01-02-2009, 02:51 AM
wow....the poor bastards can't even get people to even ride the bandwagon for 1 playoff game.....:popcorn:

lambertlunaticfan
01-02-2009, 05:06 AM
its the same story in minnesota,home of the bandwagon sportsfan:yeehaw:....as of monday they had 20,000 tickets to sell,how pathetic is that....and the reason is,its because only 55% of thier so called fans who are season ticket holders opted to buy playoff tickets....can you ever think of a time when the steelers would have that many tickets available for any game especially a playoff game.....thats sad to me,minnesota doesnt deserve a football team,if you have to have corperate buyouts to show your games on tv,the nfl should do something about it,like cant support your team,well you dont get a team, or you dont get to see your team on tv.....i mean last year they needed like 6 (out of 8 home games) buyouts and this season it was like that same amount to show games in minnesota,and the nfl plays the same game and the fans know it by now,that the nfl will keep extending the deadline until a corperate buy out happens to show the game.....the nfl has to stop bailing them out like that,but they wont, as they will lose money not showing the game,that whole deadline thing is a joke.....

RoethlisBURGHer
01-02-2009, 06:55 AM
Maybe the Cardinal fans would be more enthused to buy tickets if the Cardinals didn't win just one game since clinching their division. They are gonna be one-and-done and the people in Arizona know it.

As for the Vikings, I am not surprised. You guys remember all those Steelers fans in attendance in Minnesota when we were making our playoff run in 2005?

revefsreleets
01-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Maybe Minnesota I can see. The weather sucks, and it's a mid-sized midwestern town with a gradually shrinking population.

But Arizona has no bad-weather concerns, the population in and around Glendale is booming, and these are mostly transplants form football carzy states (not like this is SoCal with a bunch of laid back apathetic slackers).

How embarrassing...

X-Terminator
01-02-2009, 10:27 AM
The Cards are struggling to sell tickets, the Coyotes' franchise is in deep trouble and the D-backs can't sell tickets either. The Suns seem to do well, though.

Why are there ANY teams in the Phoenix area?

As for Minnesota, nobody up there cares about sports unless it's the Wild, who have sold out every game since they came into the league in 2001. So it doesn't surprise me that the Vikings can't sell out any games.

CanadianSteel
01-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Pretty bad publicity as for Arizona who have not hosted a playoff game in forever and they cannot sell out.... Minnesota I was actually more surpoirsed about as I thought they had very passionate fans, although a smaller fan base size wize.

Fire Haley
01-02-2009, 10:45 AM
They are gonna be one-and-done and the people in Arizona know it.

That would be my guess too.

steelreserve
01-02-2009, 01:04 PM
This is a team that's backed into the playoffs in an absolute tailspin, and it would be a miracle if they won a single playoff game. I mean, where do you even start? They've lost 4 of their last 6 games and gotten their asses kicked in all four. And the two wins were over the Rams and the Seahawks. In fact, the Rams, Seahawks and Niners are the only teams they've managed to scrape out a win against since Week 6. And if not for the controversial goal-line screw-up, this is a team that would've lost the division to the 49ers. That's pretty fricking sad.

So between that, and everyone being broke these days, I can see why people might be a little reluctant to fork over $150 bucks a seat. But it's still pretty sad not being able to sell out a playoff game.

Also, HA. Guess a new stadium really doesn't solve everything, eh?

lilyoder6
01-02-2009, 03:17 PM
i think this if funny as hell...

it's a playoff game and they are on the verge of being blacked out...

but then again i do look at it like ppl may not be able to afford the tickets

The Patriot
01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Times up. Did they make it? :popcorn:

Borski
01-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Times up. Did they make it? :popcorn:

Not quite up yet, the article I read said 2:30 MT (4:30 EST) they got about 18 minutes left.

The Patriot
01-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Not quite up yet, the article I read said 2:30 MT (4:30 EST) they got about 18 minutes left.

I know it would be bad for the league, but I'm curious to see what would happen. There's no way they'd blackout a playoff game. What is that supposed to be? Punishment?

Borski
01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
I know it would be bad for the league, but I'm curious to see what would happen. There's no way they'd blackout a playoff game. What is that supposed to be? Punishment?

basically, yes. The blackout policy is meant to get people to buy tickets, if fans don't, they get punished by having a blackout and fans cant watch the game on tv.

Borski
01-02-2009, 04:30 PM
ok, so now time is up. Did they sell out or what?

Fire Haley
01-02-2009, 04:34 PM
The NFL gave them an extension to sell 3000 more seats.

Gotta pimp that ride.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Seriously, when are they going to stop extending and just black these mofo's out?

I get to still see the game, so I don't really give a damn if the game gets blacked out.

steelreserve
01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Well, you know what's probably going to happen is whichever network is airing the game will step in and buy the rest of the seats. I don't think they'll actually let it come to not showing a playoff game at all.

Borski
01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Cards game is a sell out, Vikes still have 3,100 tickets to sell by Saturday 4:30 EST

stillers4me
01-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I can't imagine a Steelers playoff game in Pittsburgh not selling out. But maybe it has more to do with the economy that any thing else.

The Patriot
01-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I can't imagine a Steelers playoff game in Pittsburgh not selling out. But maybe it has more to do with the economy that any thing else.

Yeah, think about it. If your life savings is suddenly in jeopardy, you're not buying tickets to a playoff game.

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
$150.00 is a ridiculous face value amount for tickets to these playoff games, but this scenario just illustrates the lack of support for the Cardinals in general. Heck, if I lived in the Phoenix area, I would have bought a ticket just to have been a part of an NFL playoff atmosphere.

SteelCityMan786
01-02-2009, 10:19 PM
$150.00 is a ridiculous face value amount for tickets to these playoff games, but this scenario just illustrates the lack of support for the Cardinals in general. Heck, if I lived in the Phoenix area, I would have bought a ticket just to have been a part of an NFL playoff atmosphere.

It costs between $110-$340 for an AFC Championship Game Ticket at Heinz Field.

Super Bowl XLIII Tickets cost on average about $850 on my guess. Ads cost over $3 Million.

The Patriot
01-02-2009, 11:13 PM
It costs between $110-$340 for an AFC Championship Game Ticket at Heinz Field.

Super Bowl XLIII Tickets cost on average about $850 on my guess. Ads cost over $3 Million.

It's roughly $5,000 to go to a Superbowl, is what I've heard. That's for seats, hotel, food and transportation.

stlrtruck
01-02-2009, 11:24 PM
It's roughly $5,000 to go to a Superbowl, is what I've heard. That's for seats, hotel, food and transportation.

That's why living in Tampa has it's privileges. Now all I need is the Super Bowl ticket!!!

Polamalu43
01-02-2009, 11:30 PM
wow....the poor bastards can't even get people to even ride the bandwagon for 1 playoff game.....:popcorn:

LOL, tell me about it. They won the division by default, cause that AFC west is terrible. :coffee:

SteelCityMan786
01-03-2009, 01:13 AM

I was stating just ticket alone.

lambertlunaticfan
01-03-2009, 02:59 AM
minnesota plays in a dome stadium,so saying the weather is something i dont understand....and im sorry but minnesota is not a mid size midwestern town,not sure where you came up with those facts there:noidea:Maybe Minnesota I can see. The weather sucks, and it's a mid-sized midwestern town with a gradually shrinking population.

But Arizona has no bad-weather concerns, the population in and around Glendale is booming, and these are mostly transplants form football carzy states (not like this is SoCal with a bunch of laid back apathetic slackers).

How embarrassing...

lambertlunaticfan
01-03-2009, 03:05 AM
all minnesota sports fans are "only when we are winning fans"..even with the wild....they call them the team of 18,000 but there sure are alot of empty seats during thier games,so the team of 18,000 dont go to all the games...so thats why that is the most overrated stat in sports,the consecative sell outs stat,cause if season tickets sells out your stadium or arena then off course youre going to have that many in a row like that....but as it is for the wild,it doenst mean there is 18,000 people showing up for every game....i think its time they count the tickets that show up for the game...:tt:The Cards are struggling to sell tickets, the Coyotes' franchise is in deep trouble and the D-backs can't sell tickets either. The Suns seem to do well, though.

Why are there ANY teams in the Phoenix area?

As for Minnesota, nobody up there cares about sports unless it's the Wild, who have sold out every game since they came into the league in 2001. So it doesn't surprise me that the Vikings can't sell out any games.

lambertlunaticfan
01-03-2009, 03:14 AM
of course thats whats going to happen with the games.......thats what has happen in minnesota over the years,but they brag that a vikings game hasnt been blacked out for a long time....but to me they should be ashamed of the fact they have to relay on a tv station to buy thier tickets so they can show the game...and of course the nfl isnt going to black out games,and like i said in my post earlier,its time for them to stop threatning it if they are not going to do it,...:tt:Well, you know what's probably going to happen is whichever network is airing the game will step in and buy the rest of the seats. I don't think they'll actually let it come to not showing a playoff game at all.

lambertlunaticfan
01-03-2009, 03:19 AM
thats what they are blaming it on in minnesota, but blaming the economy is a weak arguement to me...you pay the money for season tickets so you can watch your team and hope they make the playoffs and then they do and you say,well i cant afford to go to the games,if you can afford season tickets,you can afford playoff tickets....:tt:I can't imagine a Steelers playoff game in Pittsburgh not selling out. But maybe it has more to do with the economy that any thing else.