PDA

View Full Version : Could Davis be getting some decent playing time next year?

BehindSteelCurtain
01-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Is it possible that Bruce Davis could be either playing or starting next year as DE?

Stlrs4Life
01-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Isn't he a little small for that position? Are we losing Kiesel?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah, because he isnt gonna replace Aaron Smith .....especially when Smith weighs 50 lbs more than him.

CanadianSteel
01-02-2009, 10:47 AM
I liked his interviews and approach coming to the Steelers but he must have not earned playing time in TC. With our group of monster LB's that is not necissarily an easy thing to do. Hope he can bulk up a bit and earn a regular roster spot next year as a pass rushing LB in certian packages. He could be a Timmons type and needs a year or two to develop, plus he does look on the skinny side for an every down LB and hope he has been pumping iron this year.

The Duke
01-02-2009, 11:16 AM
DE? NEVER gonna happen

I hope next year he becomes at least a decent 3 down pass rusher. Or make some ST tackles....

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-02-2009, 12:31 PM
You know......John Kuhn could play DE. He outweighs Davis by 7 lbs, is more athletic and invented the cure for polio. :chuckle:

Hapa
01-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Davis is an OLB not a DE. He could be a 4-3 DE but never a 3-4 DE.

steelreserve
01-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I was confused what the Steelers were gonna use him for when they drafted him. The Steelers have a history of converting D. Ends into OLB's. So which one is he? :screwy:

Probably an OLB, I would guess. You need a 300-pound fat guy to be a DE in our system, which he ain't. Maybe they were hoping he could fill in either as a starter or a backup after Harrison bolts for his big payday next year.

KeiselPower99
01-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Davis was drafted to replace Harrison when his contract is up after next season. Until then he will have to work his butt off to develop into a good edge rusher and spell him next year.

Steeldude
01-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Is it possible that Bruce Davis could be either playing or starting next year as DE?

davis will never be a DE for the steelers. he is strictly a LB for a 3-4. IMO, he will be cut next season.

lilyoder6
01-02-2009, 03:15 PM
idk.. lot of ppl were calling for timmons after his 1st yr.. look at him now...

and then again Davis couldn't work out with the team in the beginning b/c of the ncaa rule and going to school..

i think he'll work his ass off and be at least a ST player next yr

steelreserve
01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Davis was drafted to replace Harrison when his contract is up after next season. Until then he will have to work his butt off to develop into a good edge rusher and spell him next year.

Or he could just be a backup if they replace Harrison with Timmons. That would get our best four guy out there, and if Davis turns out not to be any good, it wouldn't hurt us so much.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm just mad that Harrison wasn't this good when he was younger.

fansince'76
01-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm just mad that Harrison wasn't this good when he was younger.

Who's to say he wasn't? Loved Cowher as HC, but he did play favorites and Porter was most definitely one of his favorites.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Harrison was released by the Steelers a few times and was released by Ravens also.

Rick5895
01-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I don't think he was drafted to replace Harrison, but he was drafted to play OLB. Next season Timmons will likely move inside and replace Foote so we'll need the extras OLB. It usually takes a year or 2 to learn this defense. He will be a great Steeler!!

KeiselPower99
01-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I believe next year we will have 6 guys that are starters and Davis will be one of em.

GBMelBlount
01-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't think he was drafted to replace Harrison, but he was drafted to play OLB. Next season Timmons will likely move inside and replace Foote so we'll need the extras OLB. It usually takes a year or 2 to learn this defense. He will be a great Steeler!!

Two things I saw that questioned were his strength and ability to learn the linebacker position....

SaskSteeler
01-02-2009, 09:50 PM
what we should do is play a 1-6-4 defense all the time so that we can get all of our linebackers on the field :chuckle:

lilyoder6
01-02-2009, 10:08 PM
but going back to timmons rookie season.. he was not getting any playing time and couldn't pick up the def...

hopefully he can put on some pounds and actually work w/ other backers to get better