PDA

View Full Version : This is why you never give up on a player

BehindSteelCurtain
01-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Look at James Harrison:

2002-2003: Spent time on and off the practice squad for Steelers.

2004: Spent time with the Ravens in the Offseason but was released, then was signed by the Steelers for a third time because Clark Haggans sustained an injury. Harrison said if it wasn't for Haggans injury, he would have retired at Age 26, and become a vetenerian.

2005: Harrison didn't have a big role on the SBXL team but he got his championship ring. A prized posession that numerous athletes dream about.

2006: Re-signed by the Steelers to a 4-year deal. Had an mediocre season as the Steelers fell to a dissapointing 8-8.

2007: Named Starter, Team MVP, and Pro Bowl. Including is monstrous MNF game against the Ravens where he had 9 Total Tackles, 3.5 sacks, 3 Forced Fumbles, 1 Fumble Recovery and 1 Interception. He also had a body slam on Ravens Safety Ed Reed.

2008: Pro-Bowl, Team MVP, DPOY Nominee (hopefully winner), hopefully All-Pro 1st team

RoethlisBURGHer
01-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Look at James Harrison:

2004: Spent time with the Ravens in the Offseason but was released, then was signed by the Steelers for a third time because Clark Haggans sustained an injury. Harrison said if it wasn't for Haggans injury, he would have retired at Age 26, and become a vetenerian.

2005: Harrison didn't have a big role on the SBXL team but he got his championship ring. A prized posession that numerous athletes dream about.
2006: Re-signed by the Steelers to a 4-year deal. Had an mediocre season as the Steelers fell to a dissapointing 8-8.

2007: Named Starter, Team MVP, and Pro Bowl. Including is monstrous MNF game against the Ravens where he had 9 Total Tackles, 3.5 sacks, 3 Forced Fumbles, 1 Fumble Recovery and 1 Interception. He also had a body slam on Ravens Safety Ed Reed.

2008: Pro-Bowl, Team MVP, DPOY Nominee (hopefully winner), hopefully All-Pro 1st team

Bull! He bodyslamed that Clowns fan whor an onto the field!

Also, I just can't see him as a vetenerian, you have to be compassionate to do that job and when I look at him, I don't see someone with tons of compassion for other living things...at least on the football field.

Rek
01-02-2009, 04:45 PM
His age and value scares me a bit. He could pretty much demand what he wants and several teams would line up on his doorstep. I hope he sticks with the Steelers the way the fans and organization stuck with him, because they can't afford to pay him an outrageous amount.

GodofGridiron
01-02-2009, 04:57 PM
For every James Harrison out there, theres about 9 Scott Shields, and 12 Fred Gibsons. Sometimes you just have to let players that arent very good players hit the streets.

steelreserve
01-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Look at James Harrison:

2009: repeat Pro Bowler, free agent

2010: Washington Redskin

You left a couple lines out.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-02-2009, 05:00 PM
What makes you think he goes to Washington?

steelreserve
01-02-2009, 05:03 PM
What makes you think he goes to Washington?

Because they're one of two teams that is apparently exempt from the salary cap and free to spend as much money as they want. Dallas is the other, but I had to pick one.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Dallas is ridiculous. They can get away with whatever.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-02-2009, 10:36 PM
For every James Harrison out there, theres about 9 Scott Shields, and 12 Fred Gibsons. Sometimes you just have to let players that arent very good players hit the streets.

You forgot Jamain Stevens, Nathanial Adibi, J.T. Wall, Ricardo Colclough, Alonzo Jackson, Willie Reid, Bo Lacy, Tee Martin, Mathias Nkwenti.........This is why you do give up on a player!

T.Richardson
01-02-2009, 11:35 PM
You forgot Jamain Stevens, Nathanial Adibi, J.T. Wall, Ricardo Colclough, Alonzo Jackson, Willie Reid, Bo Lacy, Tee Martin, Mathias Nkwenti.........This is why you do give up on a player!

to be fair, Jackson had to switch positions. I think he could have done well at his natural position at DE.

Galax Steeler
01-03-2009, 08:06 AM
I don't want to see Harrison in nothing but black and gold hopefully he will retire a steeler.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-03-2009, 12:13 PM
to be fair, Jackson had to switch positions. I think he could have done well at his natural position at DE.

Forget fair.....to be honest he would not have done much at DE either. If you ever watched him closely, he was weak, avoided getting engaged with the blocker and was not a good run defender.

Jared Allen gets right in the OT's face, bull rushes him and then uses a combination of hand placement and footwork to get by the OT in a pass rush situation. Alonzo Jackson tried to run around blockers, much like Bruce Davis and Tyson Jackson have shown.

Steeldude
01-03-2009, 01:28 PM
next time maybe the steelers won't play favorites and keep superior players on the bench and lesser players(porter) on the field.

Steeldude
01-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I think he could have done well at his natural position at DE

jackson was too small to play DE in the steelers' 3-4 and he was too weak to play LB, which led to his name being added to the cut list.

steelpride12
01-03-2009, 01:35 PM
After his game against San Diego when he got the INT and leaped over LT, that shows his athleticism and he played well in the place of Porter and it was only a matter of time and hard work till he became one of the best in the league.

KeiselPower99
01-03-2009, 01:59 PM

You forgot Omar Jacobs.