PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Utah----National Champs

Steeler in Carolina
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Only undefeated team in college football. National Champs. Enough said.

OneForTheToe
01-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Congrats to the Utah. Every time I hear the name Utes though, I can'thelp chuckle becuse I think of the movie "My cousin Vinnie." "Those two utes .... did he say utes ... what's a ute?"

SteelCityMan786
01-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Congrats to the Utah. Every time I hear the name Utes though, I can'thelp chuckle becuse I think of the movie "My cousin Vinnie." "Those two utes .... did he say utes ... what's a ute?"

Based off of what I saw their mascot looked like, it's a bird.

Good win by Utah. Alabama should feel embarrassed over this loss.

SteelersMongol
01-03-2009, 05:03 AM
Wow. Undefeated, ein? Congrats.

lambertlunaticfan
01-03-2009, 05:44 AM
undefeated, but what was thier strength of schedule?i mean you really do have to look and consider that.im not a utah fan,so i am truly asking this.do they play the same type of team that usc,florida or oklahoma play.i just think,as im sure its been said,college football needs a playoff.:tt:

Galax Steeler
01-03-2009, 07:38 AM
I never would have thought they would have beat alabama they showed up and played some good football.

GoFins11
01-03-2009, 08:04 AM
I never would have thought they would have beat alabama they showed up and played some good football.

I think the announcers said it best. Alabama wished they were in the NCG and Utah wished they were in the Sugar Bowl. Something like that.

SteelCityMan786
01-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Games such as the one we saw last night in Nawlins is more evidence that college football NEEDS A PLAYOFF!!!

lilyoder6
01-03-2009, 10:48 AM
utah came out strong last night an just whooped on bama.. if anything this just showed that utah can play against the best

Godfather
01-03-2009, 11:51 AM
undefeated, but what was thier strength of schedule?i mean you really do have to look and consider that.im not a utah fan,so i am truly asking this.do they play the same type of team that usc,florida or oklahoma play.i just think,as im sure its been said,college football needs a playoff.:tt:

Utah is from the Mountain West conference, which was 6-1 against the Pac-10 in the regular season. They opened with a win over Michigan (which ended up not looking that good). They also had an OOC win over Oregon State and a conference win over a very good TCU team that will finish in the top ten with its only losses to Utah and Oklahoma. Plus they curbstomped Bama.

Steeler in Carolina
01-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't think strength of schedule should matter that much. Utah is undefeated and without a playoff, we will never know who should be champs. If Florida would have beat Ole Miss or Oklahoma beat Texas, but they didn't.

millwalldavey
01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
PLAYOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steeler in Carolina
01-03-2009, 12:01 PM
The other thing about schedules, is that Utah is at a bid disadvantage in improving their schedule. No way would Florida or any of the big boys ever agree to play at Utah. So, in order for Utah to increase their schedule strength, they have to play many more road games. College football is the most unfair sport out their.

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Eh, what the Hell, give 'em a share of the title. I used to think not, but they did beat an SEC team that was ranked #1 for awhile.

GoFins11
01-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't believe in sharing titles. Right or wrong, if you win the NCG you are the NC. I would feel bad for the team that wins a NCG and has to share it. To me it discredits their year.

Dino 6 Rings
01-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Utah

won at Michigan
Vs UNLV
at Utah State
at Air Force
Weber State
Oregon State
at Wyoming
Colorado State
at New Mexico
TCU
at SD State
vs BYU

then went on to a BCS Game to play an Alabama team that was over hyped all year for being in the SEC and had no real offense all season and won with defense.

Congrats. Still to me, you aren't the National Champ unless you're in a REAL conference.

Utah in the Big 12, does not run the table vs Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Texas, Nebraska and Colorado.

They don't run the table in the SEC vs Florida, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Auburn.

They don't even run the table in the ACC vs Florida State, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami and North Carolina.

So Utah is a nice cute little story. But they don't even run the table in the Pac 10 vs USC, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State (yes they did beat Oregon State this year, after beating Weber State and Before Wyoming) (Oregon State had just played USC)

Heck, they don't even run the table in the Big 10 vs Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, Illinois or Minnesota.

Shiiiit. They don't even win the Big East vs West Virginia, Pitt, Uconn, Cincy and Rutgers or Louisville.

So they are a cute little story, pat on the heads for them. They want into a title game, go Independent and build a real schedule. Otherwise, stfu and play dogs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 01:13 PM
PLAYOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true. Hey, I thought Obama was gonna fix that???

GoFins11
01-05-2009, 01:27 PM
So true. Hey, I thought Obama was gonna fix that???

He is still only president ELECT

KeiselPower99
01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Utah deserves to be champs. They did beat the number 1 team for most of the season.

Dino 6 Rings
01-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Insane Thoughts.

Utah is a lucky cute little team that played one great game all year against Alabama. Clap, Clap Clap for them, but they are NOT the best team in College Football and that is what the BCS is supposed to decide.

cubanstogie
01-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Insane Thoughts.

Utah is a lucky cute little team that played one great game all year against Alabama. Clap, Clap Clap for them, but they are NOT the best team in College Football and that is what the BCS is supposed to decide.

Thats what is wrong with college football. The Titans would be number 1 with we played a BCS format, yet I don't think will win it all. Utah would probably lose to USC but thats USC fault for choking early. Utah outplayed Alabama from the get go and deserve a shot at Florida or USC. We are now playing until 1/9 or so, how about Florida/Okla play on new years and now we play it off. There are always people who will discount the "cute team" especially since Hawaii got throttled last year, but this year Utah took it to a #1 team , not Notre Dame or Michigan.

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Insane Thoughts.

That's my whole point. Of COURSE Utah ends up with 3 losses (or more) if they play in the Big 12, SEC, or Big Ten. But it is what it is...they deserve a share of the watered down BCS championship. Only if they start handing out crowns willy-nilly every year will we EVER see the GD playoff just about every sane college football fan in this Country wants.

Hell, If Oklahoma beats Florida and Texas beats OSU, I'd make it a 3-way title between the Utes, Longhorns and Sooners.

Steeler in Carolina
01-06-2009, 05:51 PM
If the NFL used the BCS system, Tennessee and NY Giants would be playing for the title. This is why we need a playoff. Everyone likes to say Utah wouldn't run the table in each conference, but who knows for sure. Florida lost to Ole Miss in a game in which they were heavy favorites. USC lost when they were heavy favorites. Who really knows what Utah would do, but the don't even get to prove it on the field.

revefsreleets
01-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Utah won one game this year of any real merit, and that was against Alabama, and I guarantee that was mostly because the Tide didn't take them seriously. In the Big 12 they'd have lost to TT, Texas and Oklahoma, and maybe Missouri and Okie State. In the SEC they'd have lost to LSU, Florida, and probably Ole Miss and Georgia. In the Big Ten they'd have lost to Iowa, OSU and PSU.

They are a pretty good, top 25 football team, but they are NOT NC material. If there was a playoff, they'd be eliminated. But the BCS sucks, so give them a share. It's what we deserve for having such a crappy system. Hell, I say let it be a 4-way, Texas, Utah, USC and the winner of the OU/UF game.

Godfather
01-07-2009, 09:23 PM
n the SEC they'd have lost to LSU, Florida, and probably Ole Miss and Georgia.

Don't know about the others, but there's no way they lose to LSU this year. This was a major down year for the Tigers.

GoFins11
01-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Don't know about the others, but there's no way they lose to LSU this year. This was a major down year for the Tigers.

Yeah LSU had a down year but in College football you can never say that a team has no chance of winning.

Godfather
01-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Yeah LSU had a down year but in College football you can never say that a team has no chance of winning.

Of course, that means you can't say Utah wouldn't win the Big XII or beat the condoms.

They have a very good body of work--if the Oregon State win is worthless what does that say about Southern Cal, which lost to the same team, and played in a conference where that worthless team finished second?