PDA

View Full Version : WHATS WRONG WITH THE "U"

lambertlunaticfan
01-03-2009, 05:40 AM
i have been a miami hurricanes fan for years,since the irvin days and i just dont understand how much they have fallen.every year they were a bcs team.and now they cant even win a no-name bowl game.is it recuiting,the talent,or the coaching?.thier defense doesnt even seem to be the same anymore.is they any more cane fans on here that might want to share thier thoughts about this.please no haters:tt:

GoFins11
01-03-2009, 08:07 AM
UM has a great young team. They will be a power again very soon.

SteelCityMan786
01-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Experience can be a problem

Cape Cod Steel Head
01-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Karma!

lilyoder6
01-03-2009, 10:49 AM
and since the u has been falling no one wants 2 go there

Steeler in Carolina
01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I think the big thing was Larry Coker. He took over a team that I could have coached to a national title, but did not capitalize on the success. They were set up to be like USC is now. Pete Carroll has the easiest recruiting job in the nation, but he still busts his tail bringing in all that talent.

lambertlunaticfan
01-04-2009, 01:45 AM
i knew someone would post something like this-even though i said -NO HATERS PLEASE....:doh:Karma!

lambertlunaticfan
01-04-2009, 01:57 AM
i dont know what the problem is there,I was asking to see if anyone out there may have insight about it,I liked larry coker,so i dont know if balme goes there,but i understand what you were saying about that.I thought he got a raw deal,and got ran out of town,just like glen mason did in minnesota.I mean the goal every season is to contend and go to a major bowl game and coker did that.But that last season was brutal as a canes fan,and this year wasnt much better.I think it was wrong to bench thier qb before thier bowl game.I have never understood,university's shooting themselves in the foot like that.I sure hope they do get better,its just strange to deal with this as they never had rebuilding season before,they were just good.And maybe i think alot of it is,they dont get the good players anymore.And maybe the coaching choice wasnt the best for the team as they dont seem to have the same offense they used to have there.Its just tough,when youre used to being a fan of one of the best teams in the country,and now they cant even win a no-name bowl game:noidea:

Cape Cod Steel Head
01-04-2009, 08:12 AM
i knew someone would post something like this-even though i said -NO HATERS PLEASE....:doh:Sorry, Didn't read that part. All programs go through their ups and downs. Look at Mich. I think every good player in Fla. use to go to one of the big three.(Fla, Fla. St. Mia.) I think more and more players are leaving the state to play elsewhere.

Steeler in Carolina
01-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Also, with the scholarships at 85, you can't afford to miss on a prospect.

Steeler in Carolina
01-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Another thing, these high school kids realize that they can go to about any school and be on TV and get noticed by the pros. They don't have to go to Miami and be a backup. They can go to another school and start.

lambertlunaticfan
01-04-2009, 11:58 PM
there you go steel head,thats much better....see you shouldnt have been so fast to just trash talk, cause this makes alot of sense,as its almost what i was thinking,michigan is a perfect example:hatsoff:i guess the canes never had to go through this,as like i said,they were always just good......its like there was never a doubt they would be in a bcs bowl game......and i agree,alot of kids can just go anywhere and be on tv,where it used to be you had to go to the big schools to be on tv,now even the smallest colleges are getting on tv.....they dont seem to keep alot of thier instate talent like they used to....problem is,recruits dont want to go to a rebuliding program/school,they want to go to a "now" winning team like texas,usc,florida-when was the last time any of these teams had a rebulding season......its just frustrating being a canes fan.....Sorry, Didn't read that part. All programs go through their ups and downs. Look at Mich. I think every good player in Fla. use to go to one of the big three.(Fla, Fla. St. Mia.) I think more and more players are leaving the state to play elsewhere.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-06-2009, 08:39 AM
I am definatly not a Miami fan, and I don't consider what I am about to say as being a hater.

Miami has a very bad reputation, you don't get the nickname "Thug U" for nothing.

Butch Davis never held the kids responsible for anything outside of football, and I don't think Coker really did either.

Randy Shannon on the other hand doesn't want the trouble makers and expects his players to be accountable for their actions on the field and to actually go to and do well in class.

So the kids that expected an easy ride to the NFL aren't happy and have left or will leave.

Also, the Florida kids have realized that they don't have to be backups at Miami, FSU, or Florida...they can go to schools outside of the state and start. So those three no longer hoard all that Florida high school talent.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 08:53 AM
That giant fight between them and Florida Atlantic (I think) was VERY bad pub, and just reinforces what most people think about Thug U.

lambertlunaticfan
01-07-2009, 02:26 AM
oh,i love the nicknames people have for the "u"....thug u..thats funny,and calling them that isnt being a hater?doesnt sound like a compliment to me,.....but being a canes fan im used to it,when the canes used to play notre dame my friend called it the convicts vs the catholics.....its amazing to me that the "u" gets a bad name like this,and that fight,i believe there were fighting another team,so why does the canes get the black eye for it "pr" wise then,what are they suppose to do let a team beat them down like that............well i think they should get back to the days of butch davis and coker and even more jimmy johnson-let them out and play thier game,that coach now has taken the fun out of it,and thats why i think the kids dont want to go there,they want to have fun,not be hounded over.I mean come on,he yelled at his players for celebrating a touchdown during a game,its canes football,the home of trash talking.....i know its not just about the football,and youre also a student but i think hes getting over board with it.:tt:

revefsreleets
01-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Miami has an image problem because they created it themselves. Actually, the program has been pretty clean lately, but you can blame Howard Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson for recruiting players based on talent and talent alone, with no regard for character.

Miami is also a private school, so they can "adjust" their standards accordingly (I'm wlling to bet there were a lot of kids in the 80's who couldn't even read on the team), and they also handle issues "in-house", meaning there isn't much oversight. Finally, the program just kind of came out of nowhere in the 80's, so there is no tradition or history of excellence, no standard to live up to.

Like I said, they've been cleaner than a lot of other big programs lately, but it takes a long time to live down a bad rep, and that big fight set them back a few years. There is a definite sign that they have turned things around: OSU scheduled a home/home series with them, and the Buckeyes would NOT have done that even 10 years ago, since it would be legitimizing a seemingly illegitimate program.

lambertlunaticfan
01-08-2009, 07:33 PM
revefsreleets-your hater colors are showing....kids on the canes team that can't even read-nice.....and by the way,osu,yeah they are a legit program,didnt they have a running back or some player who palyed for thier national championship team that beat the canes that turned out to be a stand-up kind of person.....i mean come on,legitimizing a illegitimate program...they want to play a home and home so they can beat down the canes,they wouldnt have done it 10 years ago cause they wouldve been in a game,but as long as they are down,hell yeah we'll play them....:tt:

TheWarDen86
01-08-2009, 07:41 PM
i knew someone would post something like this-even though i said -NO HATERS PLEASE....:doh:

FINE! Then I'll keep my "potential recruits haven't been paroled yet" comments to myself! :hmmph:

lambertlunaticfan
01-08-2009, 11:54 PM
:monkey:..hey thewarden86-the adults were having a talk, go back to the kids table...trash talking,when you have nothing intelligent to add to a topic....FINE! Then I'll keep my "potential recruits haven't been paroled yet" comments to myself! :hmmph:

revefsreleets
01-09-2009, 09:02 AM
It is what it is. It ain't called "Thug U' for nuthin.

lambertlunaticfan
01-10-2009, 01:29 AM
i really hate fighting with fellow steelers fans....and i started this thread just to talk to other canes fans to find out what they think abot the direction of our team.....but i get responses that just puzzle me,and i just have to say something about them.............like that nickname "thug u",just cause you make up a nickname doesnt mean its true...."it is what it is"......what the heck does that mean?.....as ive never heard that before you guys said it..............explain to me,why do you guys call them thug u....as it would be nice to know that......:tt:

RoethlisBURGHer
01-10-2009, 07:55 AM
You expect everyone to have a roseya ttitude about Miami U?

Here's some history:

A long-time booster of Hurricanes Football, 2 Live Crew member and local philanthropist Luther Campbell was said to have been behind what was referred to as a "pay-for-play" system, which involved cash rewards for things such as touchdowns and big hits.[17] His ties to the program were at one point so close that former Hurricanes coach Dennis Erickson used to occasionally call upon Campbell as an intermediary when he was having a problem with his players.

On October 14, 2006, in the first meeting of cross-town programs, Miami and the Florida International Golden Panthers brawled after a PAT.

FIU cornerback Chris Smith wrestled Miami holder Matt Perelli to the ground after the kick and appeared to punch him in the chin. Another FIU cornerback, Marshall McDuffie, Jr., kicked Perelli in the head.[20] Miami's Anthony Reddick swung his helmet at FIU players and Miami's Brandon Meriweather kicked an FIU player. FIU's A'Mod Ned, who was injured, came onto the field and swung at Miami players with his crutches. The fight lasted just over one minute [3] before the coaches of both teams were able to separate the players. The Miami-Dade County police arrived on the field shortly afterward and remained a visual presence on the field and in the stands to prevent further fighting. The game was delayed approximately 15 to 20 minutes as the officials attempted to sort out which players were ejected and what, if any, penalty yards needed to be enforced.

The next day, 31 players from both schools 18 from FIU, 13 from Miami were handed one-game suspensions.

Those are the two most lasting images. Miami has also given the NFL a few less-than-classy players such as Warren Sapp, Micahel Irvin, and Kellen Winslow...who's "Soldier" remarks also shine a bad light on the program.

So Miami has a history, "Thug U" didn't just come out of nowhere. So stop calling all of us haters because we don't view Miami through the same rose colored glasses that you do. If you don't like our opinions, then ask a mod to close the thread.

lambertlunaticfan
01-11-2009, 02:57 AM
IM SORRY BUT WHY IN THE HECK SHOULD I ASK TO CLOSE THIS THREAD...HOW ABOUT YOU AND THE "U" HATERS KEEP YOUR OPINIONS TO YOURSELF,AS I DIDNT ASK FOR THEM......this thread was for canes fans,and was asking them about our team........:rose color glasses,thats funny...its called being a fan of a team.....this thread wasnt for you,so please dont respond to it,i have no idea why you would other than to be a hater.........thanks for the history lesson...wow,two examples that convince me your right they are deserving of that nickname....and who started that fiu fight?......so a fiu player punches your player and then another kicks him in the head,and then another player hits your teammate with crutches and youre not suppose to do anything about it.....so cause the canes fought back,you think this makes your point for that nickname,to me its what youre suppose to do when a teammate gets hit like that....but im sure in the narrow minds that would call a team thug u would think they derserve to get beat down like that,....thier to blame not the team that started it...i said no haters cause i only wanted to hear from canes fans but i knew on a message board that wasnt going to happen cause some people just like to start things like this:stirthepot:You expect everyone to have a roseya ttitude about Miami U?

Here's some history:

Those are the two most lasting images. Miami has also given the NFL a few less-than-classy players such as Warren Sapp, Micahel Irvin, and Kellen Winslow...who's "Soldier" remarks also shine a bad light on the program.

So Miami has a history, "Thug U" didn't just come out of nowhere. So stop calling all of us haters because we don't view Miami through the same rose colored glasses that you do. If you don't like our opinions, then ask a mod to close the thread.

revefsreleets
01-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Overreact much?

You get reasoned and sound arguments and because they aren't 100% favorable you cry a little and expect that to make things better?

Thug U is living down it's rep, BUT IT WAS A WELL EARNED REP, and it will take years to live it down. When better programs with real tradition have criminals and guys of low character, they get rid of them, or try to help them. Miami at one time embraced that type of player. I, along with most other reasonable people, will not quickly forget that.

If you bring up Nixon, people will talk Watergate. Marion Barry, cocaine. OJ Simpson, murder. The U? Thug U. That's just the way it is...

lambertlunaticfan
01-11-2009, 11:51 PM
overreact much...im asking canes fans about our team and you haters come onto my thread and spread your hateful nicknames.....i can take they have a bad reputation as a reason,but you guys are going beyond saying that when you call them thug u and you keep calling them that.............and noone who has used the word "thug" on here has explained what they mean when they call my team that.....im not crying about what you guys are saying,i just dont understand why you feel to post on my thread when youre obviously not fans of the team.........i mean i'm not a fan of the buckeyes,and if someone posted a thread asking what was wrong with thier team,i wouldnt post on it,and if i did,i certainley would respect the person enough being a fan that i wouldnt express that i hated the team by calling them a terrible nickname like you guys have with thie thread here....................how many "criminals" do they have on the team,how many "criminals have they had on thier team.....cause if im not mistaken you cant play college football if you are a "criminal" as youd be in jail and couldnt play....i was trying to have a intelligent discussion about canes football but i guess that was too much to ask for on this board as you guys just like to resort to childlike name calling.......i can take people having complaints about my team,but bring actually facts and reasons,not just ripping on them,you guys are just saying,"well its cause they are thug u"and they are that,why?cause you say they are....they have players that are all thugs,ok...and no other team has thugs playing for them,they are all outstanding people,wow,i cant believe my canes are the only team that recuit them..............so they recuit thier players from the jail like the longest yard or something......so the canes are like a prison football team according to you guys.....well not to bad for a team of thugs to win that many national championships.......thug u...i get it,is that all you got?....cause im tired of hearing it,youve made your point,now go away:wave:

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Is this your board? You don't "own" this thread. It's a public thread, in an open forum. And you are posting about one of the more notoriously corrupt programs in the history of college football.

I guarantee if you posted this thread abouyt OJ and tried to limit it to his football days, the same exact thing would happen. And, guess what? That's exactly what message boards are for. You can't control the subject matter. You can't direct the threads. You can't censor what people say.

You probably need to find a different board to post on, like "sensitivesouls.com" or something.

TheWarDen86
01-12-2009, 08:58 AM
:monkey:..hey thewarden86-the adults were having a talk, go back to the kids table...trash talking,when you have nothing intelligent to add to a topic....

LOL whatever NEWBIE! Learn to take a joke and lighten up there Francis! :flipoff:

lambertlunaticfan
01-13-2009, 01:29 AM
warden and rev...you both seem to have a problem with the "u" so why do you feel a need to keep posting on my thread.....i realize i dont own the board,,when did i say i did?.....and i know i cant control it,obviously...but i thought if i said "no hater ,please" that the people that hate the "u"(as i know there is alot of them out there)would read that and have enough respect and maturity to not post thier hate for "the u" on here......and i just cant understand the concept of why you would....just to be mean?....i understand how a message board works,i just dont understand the logic of posting about a team you dont like,especially when the person who started the thread nicly asks not to,that the person just wants to discuss thier team with fans of the team or people that can bring something other than hate and name calling to the topic.....and i just wanted to hear from "u" fans,but i guess that was that too much to ask.....why you felt a need to post on here is beyond me,what does it make you feel good to be a hater and make fun of someones team.......as i said i was looking for insight about my favorite team,a intelligent discussion....i was not asking,"hey what does EVERYONE think about the "u",please share with me......and youre right,this wasnt the board for it,i thought it was as it seems to have alot of in the know football people on here but i guess i was wrong about it,and for that im sorry for asking.........and youre right,im a newbie(whatever thats suppose to mean,was that suppose to be a insult towards me cause i happen to be new to this board,ok,good one,you got me:applaudit:....and i realize i cant control and censor people on here,...i said no haters as i was just trying to contact other "u" fans but for whatever reasons you both seem to feel a need and just had to share your hate for my team to me,...and then after i ask you,alright,i get your point move on you still feel a need to post on here,and i know i cant stop you but can we build a bridge and get over it....please.......

revefsreleets
01-13-2009, 10:37 AM
You have very poor reading comprehension along with your sensitivity problem. Not everything I said was "hater talk", as I gave the U some props for cleaning their act up.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-17-2009, 02:13 PM
You asked what the problem was with The U? Part of that problem is thier rep as Thug U. What do you not understand about that?

I give Randy Shannon props for starting the clean up, but some players, especially high school recruits...will want it to stay Thug U so they can act how they want and play football. Problem is, a lot of those players are the more talented ones.

Also, you'll have the talented players who don't want to go to Miami because of the Thug U rep. They don't want to be misconstrued at a thug or even a slightly bad person...so they will go somewhere else.

Don't worry, Miami U will clean up thier rep and soon I think thier football program will be back to being one of the best in the country.

But Shannon needs to avoid something like the brawl with the cross-city school...something else like that can wipe the talent out of the program, because I wouldn't be surprised of Randy Shannon cut any player involved in a fracas like that again.

paw-n-maul-u
05-04-2009, 05:16 AM
The U is going to be a force again, they seem to have finally found a QB and the talent is flooding in.

Still won't touch the Hokies tho. That defense is going to be stout as always, only really losing Victor Macho Harris as a true playmaker. And they are going to have one of the best rushing attacks in the nation.

Tyrod Taylor

Darren Evans

and now the emergence of Ryan Williams (a top 5 RB recruit from last year) and another top 5 RB recruit this year in David Wilson). They are going to play some ugly games, But if they take down Alabama first game of the year, you can book Nat'l Championship tickets because they are going to roll through the ACC.

texas and okla will all beat each other up out in the midwest.

SEC always beats itself up, and VT will be preseason top 10 and even higher after smoking Bama in the GA dome.