PDA

View Full Version : Steelers penalties

steelerchad
01-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Looking at penalties called against us, the Steelers are ranked 21st with about 6 per game. The Patriots get the least called against them with about 3.5 per game and the Cowboys are the worst with about 7.5 per game.

Nothing out of the ordinary looking at first glance, but my concern is not about penalties in general. More about the subjective calls like holding. If you false start, everyone sees it and it's getting called. Holding on the other hand can be called on any play, but rarely is. And almost never is called on our opponents offensive line against our excellent pass rush. As aggressive and dominant as our defense is, it would seem to make sense that we would draw more holding calls than the average team. Yet, when I watch the games rarely does our D get the holding calls. If anyone has any data or knows where to go to look at it I would be interested.

Maybe, I'm off base on this because I'm a fan. But, I'd like to find out.

Crushzilla
01-03-2009, 04:17 PM
You're not just being a homer.

There is validity to this. I think the Steelers went a month without having a hold called on the opposing offense.

Hopefully someone has an actual stat for you, but I'll be the first to offer an agreement.

steelreserve
01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, at least it's not like a couple years ago, when it seemed like every time you turned around there was a bogus late hit out of bounds that bailed our opponents out on a key third-and-long. I hated that. Seems like we get a lot of offensive holding penalties and deserve most of them. Although the absence of same while we're on defense definitely stands out.

steelreserve
01-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Also, you might find this article interesting:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1068287/index.htm

There was a study done in the late 1980s showing that NHL and NFL teams with black uniforms did indeed get penalized more than average over a period of 17 years. There was a theory that's because the color fired them up a little extra and those teams played more aggressively, and there was a theory it was because black subconsciously suggests evil or dirty play to the referees.

Interesting. I wonder if it still holds true today.

lilyoder6
01-03-2009, 04:52 PM
thats is interesting... but lately the steelers haven't been getting many pen

MasterOfPuppets
01-03-2009, 06:23 PM
all i know is, that willie colon is GUARANTEED to kill at least one drive every game with a false start.:banging:

fansince'76
01-03-2009, 06:30 PM
all i know is, that willie colon is GUARANTEED to kill at least one drive every game with a false start.:banging:

....or a hold. :banging:

Texasteel
01-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Thats what worries me the most. Seems like evertime we get in the red zone, he's holding or taking off to soon.

steel striker
01-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah we have had about four td's called back because of holding on colon. Harrison is always being held it is not good.

beSteelmyheart
01-03-2009, 08:06 PM
"The Patriots get the least called against them with about 3.5 per game"

Why does this not surprise me?

HometownGal
01-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Wow they should hire colorblind referees so that penalizing is a little more equal...

What the refs need is seeing eye dogs. :chuckle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/PGHLADYmlg/RefereeDog.jpg

WWIIOwheelz
01-03-2009, 10:34 PM

When I saw this thread, he was the first image that popped into my mind. That's also when I miss Cowher (or his mannerisms, rather) the most....... him getting pissed when stupid penalties hurt the team. Tomlin rolls with the punches really well, but I quietly liked it when my feelings were mirrored by the coach in real time .

VegasStlrFan
01-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Looking at penalties called against us, the Steelers are ranked 21st with about 6 per game. The Patriots get the least called against them with about 3.5 per game and the Cowboys are the worst with about 7.5 per game.

Nothing out of the ordinary looking at first glance, but my concern is not about penalties in general. More about the subjective calls like holding. If you false start, everyone sees it and it's getting called. Holding on the other hand can be called on any play, but rarely is. And almost never is called on our opponents offensive line against our excellent pass rush. As aggressive and dominant as our defense is, it would seem to make sense that we would draw more holding calls than the average team. Yet, when I watch the games rarely does our D get the holding calls. If anyone has any data or knows where to go to look at it I would be interested.

Maybe, I'm off base on this because I'm a fan. But, I'd like to find out.

We had a similar thread to this specifically on holding calls on the opposing teams O-Line. I believe it was 29 consecutive qtrs with no holding penalties - the Skins game to the 2nd qtr of the Browns game. Total BS!!!! We should get at least 4 a game.