PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben trade even up

steelerchad
01-03-2009, 03:42 PM
I was arguing with a Packer fan about Big Ben. He said he sucked and I basically said there was no other QB in the league I'd rather have. Clarifying this statement, I explained that if the Steelers could trade Big Ben for any QB in the league that I couldn't think of one that I would trade him for.

Post which QB, if any you would trade for. Salary is not a factor, but age is. So whoever you choose would play out their days in Pittsburgh and Big Ben would finish his career on that team.

Shoes
01-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Guess you got your answer...:chuckle:

paw-n-maul-u
01-03-2009, 04:39 PM
there are only a handful of QB's that I believe are better than Ben.

Brees
Manning (Not Eli)
Rivers
Cutler

But there is no other QB I would want in the league other than a healthy Tom Brady or Peyton Manning captaining a 2 minute drill to win the game.

HOTDOG
01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Franchise QBs don't grow on trees. And Ben is a franchise QB!

Preacher
01-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Including age? No one.

tony hipchest
01-03-2009, 04:54 PM
But there is no other QB I would want in the league other than a healthy Tom Brady or Peyton Manning captaining a 2 minute drill to win the game.brady hasnt led a 2 minute drill to win a game since 04 SB (and even then it was won on the foot of vinatieri.)

Frankie3521
01-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Brees or Manning, thats the only two. I'm not completely sold on Cutler, and Rivers to me isn't as good as Ben.

cowboykilla
01-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Brees
Manning (Not Eli)
Rivers
Cutler

But there is no other QB I would want in the league other than a healthy Tom Brady or Peyton Manning captaining a 2 minute drill to win the game.Cutler sucks,you have been listening to the talking heads too much. ROETHLISBERGER is our qb so stop dreaming:tt02:

steelreserve
01-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Would Tom Brady suffer another career-threatening injury if we put him behind our OL? If so, I'd make that trade and then just make sure we have a good backup to play the next couple years. Otherwise, nothing out there is really worth it in my eyes.

paw-n-maul-u
01-03-2009, 05:14 PM
brady hasnt led a 2 minute drill to win a game since 04 SB (and even then it was won on the foot of vinatieri.)

Whatever ... sure, he might not have winning drives in two minutes if you want to pick apart my post. But I guarantee you he plays huge in the fourth quarter when it counts.

i.e. 2007 16-0 Season ... 14 fourth quarter pts. to come back and beat Indy (both brady TD passes) ... and 21 pts in essentially 15 minutes in the latter part of the second half to save a perfect season vs. the Giants.

Tom brady in the fourth quarter is money in the bank. We, as steeler fans, should know. you can't deny that.

steel striker
01-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Why are we even talking about this? We have our qb.

Preacher
01-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Why are we even talking about this? We have our qb.

I think SC answers that question in his first post.

Steelers & I
01-03-2009, 06:32 PM
NO ONE! If the Steelers ABSOLUTELY HAD TO TRADE FOR ANOTHER QB, I would probably hope for Matt Ryan. He's a safe choice, young, nice arm, moves around a bit but the main thing is that he has no baggage.

stillers4me
01-03-2009, 06:41 PM
NO ONE! If the Steelers ABSOLUTELY HAD TO TRADE FOR ANOTHER QB, I would probably hope for Matt Ryan. He's a safe choice, young, nice arm, moves around a bit but the main thing is that he has no baggage.

And is one and done in the playoffs.

GodofGridiron
01-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I swear, there needs to be some censoring of these threads. The fellatio of quarterbacks in this era is troubling. Gawd people...........enough deepthroating please........

steel striker
01-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I think SC answers that question in his first post.

Opps sorry my bad.

LambertIsGod58
01-03-2009, 06:58 PM
I thought for sure lambertisgod would be all over this thread

Just so I don't disappoint you......

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Phillip Rivers
Tony Romo
Eli Manning
Jay Cutler
Aaron Rodgers

Fan Of STEEL
01-03-2009, 07:04 PM
There are a handful of great QBs in this league but I would not trade for any one of them over Ben. Every QB in the league has it's strong and weak points, including Ben. Ben just has fewer weak points.

cubanstogie
01-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I thought for sure lambertisgod would be all over this thread
He doesn't have a leg to stand on thats why. He likes Romo(choke artist), Cutler(good arm thats it), Brees(what has he ever done, except throw for a lot of yards, usually garbage time) Rivers( one good year) and Favre( self desctructed down the stretch and single handidly lost a few games as well as his team, nice veteran move there). Can't compare against Ben. Last year Garrard, this year Rivers, next year it will be someone else having big year. Probably Ryan( Matty ice, laughter the guy had a good rookie year and announcers already jumped on his bandwagon) . It is flavor of the day for these guys who bash Ben. Bottom line these no one except the Big 2, have been as consistent at winning and leading comebacks. This game is about winning not how many yards you throw for, that is unless you are playing Fantasy football. Fantasy is a good name for it. I mean no disrespect toward lambertisgod, I just don't agree with the guys he likes better than Ben thats all.

cubanstogie
01-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Aaron Rodgers, I don't think I really need to stick up for Ben when comparing him to Rodgers. Plus I am too busy laughing my friggin arse off. You have got to be kidding.

steelreserve
01-03-2009, 07:11 PM
One thing I wonder is: Why does everyone think Jay Cutler is so great? He throws for a lot of yards, but he's also right at the top in passing attempts, he threw more interceptions this year than anyone except Brett Favre, and he's never won anything in his life. He's a sub-.500 quarterback for the past three years on a team that by all rights should've been better than that.

Plus, he looks like a molester and a southern hick.

Hapa
01-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Michael Vick!

(before you take a dump on my face, that's a joke)

cubanstogie
01-03-2009, 07:14 PM
One thing I wonder is: Why does everyone think Jay Cutler is so great? He throws for a lot of yards, but he's also right at the top in passing attempts, he threw more interceptions this year than anyone except Brett Favre, and he's never won anything in his life. He's a sub-.500 quarterback for the past three years on a team that by all rights should've been better than that.

Plus, he looks like a molester and a southern hick.

strong arm syndrome. He is slightly better than Jeff George. These are the guys who think Favre and Marino better than a joe montana. They have the physical tools but aren't in the same league when it comes to winning and managing games.

HometownGal
01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Brees, Peytoon, Rivers and Cutler could never have survived the onslaught Ben has had to endure over the last 2 seasons behind that turnstile of an OL the Steelers have. The 4 of them combined don't have the mental or physical agility of Big Ben.

If we could get Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark along with Peytoon, I'd consider it, but only for a minute or two. Throw in Jeff Saturday and I'd consider it for five minutes.

Like him or not - Ben is here to stay and this Steelers fan couldn't be happier. :tt02:

LambertIsGod58
01-03-2009, 07:17 PM
He doesn't have a leg to stand on thats why. He likes Romo(choke artist), Cutler(good arm thats it), Brees(what has he ever done, except throw for a lot of yards, usually garbage time) Rivers( one good year) and Favre( self desctructed down the stretch and single handidly lost a few games as well as his team, nice veteran move there). Can't compare against Ben. Last year Garrard, this year Rivers, next year it will be someone else having big year. Probably Ryan( Matty ice, laughter the guy had a good rookie year and announcers already jumped on his bandwagon) . It is flavor of the day for these guys who bash Ben. Bottom line these no one except the Big 2, have been as consistent at winning and leading comebacks. This game is about winning not how many yards you throw for, that is unless you are playing Fantasy football. Fantasy is a good name for it. I mean no disrespect toward lambertisgod, I just don't agree with the guys he likes better than Ben thats all.

First, I'd argue the comment that I don't have a leg to stand on. The real issue we have here is there really isn't a way to see who's right. I totally believe anyone of the QB's I listed would prove to be better than Ben with our offense. I think Ben is better than average. I just don't think he deserves all the praise and credit that I hear......OH? EVERYDAY!! We can agree to disagree that's cool. And I'd like to apologize for not always getting my point across in the most productive way. But make no bones about it, I do support Ben. Especially on game day. But I am not a huge fan. At least, not yet. He needs to show me more seasons like last year. That he can win without a lights out defense every year. And he needs to get a handle on the turnover issues he has.

paw-n-maul-u
01-03-2009, 07:21 PM
haha I like the matty ice reference, god that was such a gay interview on the pregame ... I'm glad the falcons are out. The only dirty bird team in any playoffs should be led by mike vick and only mike vick. (I hate matt ryan. He cost my hokies a rematch with LSU for the national championship.)

anyways. I mean big ben is awesome and so clutch, but I just like brees, manning and bradys quick release, and brees can move around a lot and make plays. But manning and brady would get killed with this line protecting them, I don't believe brees would.

but who cares ben is our QB anyways

cubanstogie
01-03-2009, 07:28 PM
First, I'd argue the comment that I don't have a leg to stand on. The real issue we have here is there really isn't a way to see who's right. I totally believe anyone of the QB's I listed would prove to be better than Ben with our offense. I think Ben is better than average. I just don't think he deserves all the praise and credit that I hear......OH? EVERYDAY!! We can agree to disagree that's cool. And I'd like to apologize for not always getting my point across in the most productive way. But make no bones about it, I do support Ben. Especially on game day. But I am not a huge fan. At least, not yet. He needs to show me more seasons like last year. That he can win without a lights out defense every year. And he needs to get a handle on the turnover issues he has.

I agree he still has more to prove, this playoff season will be a big test. If he can stop turning it over he will silence a lot of critics.

Preacher
01-03-2009, 07:30 PM
strong arm syndrome. He is slightly better than Jeff George. These are the guys who think Favre and Marino better than a joe montana. They have the physical tools but aren't in the same league when it comes to winning and managing games.

I think you are wrestling with the right issue...

For PURE QB'ing skills, I would put Marino ahead of Montana. However, When you have to factor in leadership skills and the "it" factor, It goes to Montana.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Brees, Peytoon, Rivers and Cutler could never have survived the onslaught Ben has had to endure over the last 2 seasons behind that turnstile of an OL the Steelers have. The 4 of them combined don't have the mental or physical agility of Big Ben.

If we could get Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark along with Peytoon, I'd consider it, but only for a minute or two. Throw in Jeff Saturday and I'd consider it for five minutes.

Like him or not - Ben is here to stay and this Steelers fan couldn't be happier. :tt02:

Great Quote HometownGal

I agree , Peyton and Brady would be obsolete with our offensive line .Look at Tom in this pass superbowl and Peyton vs us in the playoffs in 2006. They both had a hard time vs best defenses at the time.

Now imagine if they were behind our oline where any given sunday against any team our the QB is on the ground for half the game.

People don't give Ben enough credit, for going the extra yard or breaking the extra tackle. These are the qualities I want playing under center for us Ben has an X-Factor a intangible ability to win like the old school QBs had. I feel the Madden and Fantasy football era ruined the perspectives of many fans of a true QB.

Whats more important to you, a QB that throws for 300 Yds a Game and loses the game with one brain fart INT?

or

A QB that may get sacked 5 times , throw a pick , and fumble. But at the last drive can CONSISTENTLY win the close comebacks?

please do answer:hatsoff:

fansince'76
01-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Said it before, and I'll say it again - P. Manning behind our current OL = IR by week 5. Goes for Brady too. :coffee:

X-Terminator
01-03-2009, 08:03 PM

:jawdrop:

I can't believe this post came from you. It's actually...reasonable. And there really isn't much there I can disagree with either. Ben is going to have to have a few more seasons like last year and no more like this year, if he's to be truly considered an elite QB. No question.

I still wouldn't take half those other guys over him, though. Especially not Cutler, Rodgers or Romo the Choker.

MDSteel15
01-03-2009, 08:25 PM
For all you Ben-haters, Peyton-knob-slobbers, Brady lovers, Romo the Homo wanna be's and whatever other damn QB you want over ours, GET OVER IT! Ben takes more punishement and keeps coming back time after time than any other QB in the league! Quit wishing for another quarterback and get us an O-line and then answer this stupid thread..... Like some other on here said, NO other QB could survive behind our piece of work line!

GodofGridiron
01-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Great Quote HometownGal

I agree , Peyton and Brady would be obsolete with our offensive line .Look at Tom in this pass superbowl and Peyton vs us in the playoffs in 2006. They both had a hard time vs best defenses at the time.

Now imagine if they were behind our oline where any given sunday against any team our the QB is on the ground for half the game.

People don't give Ben enough credit, for going the extra yard or breaking the extra tackle. These are the qualities I want playing under center for us Ben has an X-Factor a intangible ability to win like the old school QBs had. I feel the Madden and Fantasy football era ruined the perspectives of many fans of a true QB.

Whats more important to you, a QB that throws for 300 Yds a Game and loses the game with one brain fart INT?

or

A QB that may get sacked 5 times , throw a pick , and fumble. But at the last drive can CONSISTENTLY win the close comebacks?

please do answer:hatsoff:

Ummm....if you throw 5 picks in any game, AND you still have a swingers chance, that tells me more about the DEFENSE than it does about the quarterbacks resilience. I dont care how gifted Ben or any other quarterback is, if your defense isnt very stellar youre not gonna have many if ANY comebacks with a turnover differential of -3 let alone -5. PERIOD. Answer this for me: How many games has "Ben won" where he turned the ball over 5 times ? I'll wait for answer........I gotta hear this one...

Think about what youre saying before you actually say it.

MDSteel15
01-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Ummm....if you throw 5 picks in any game, AND you still have a swingers chance, that tells me more about the DEFENSE than it does about the quarterbacks resilience. I dont care how gifted Ben or any other quarterback is, if your defense isnt very stellar youre not gonna have many if ANY comebacks with a turnover differential of -3 let alone -5. PERIOD. Answer this for me: How many games has "Ben won" where he turned the ball over 5 times ? I'll wait for answer........I gotta hear this one...

Think about what youre saying before you actually say it.

Ummmm, he said sacked 5 times and throw A pick..... :banging:

Not so Godly there Gridiron..!

GodofGridiron
01-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Ummmm, he said sacked 5 times and throw A pick..... :banging:

Not so Godly there Gridiron..!

My bad......continue the fellatio fest.........as you were.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Haha simple mistake Gridiron I forgive you.

augustashark
01-03-2009, 10:56 PM
My bad......continue the fellatio fest.........as you were.

Looks like someone learned a new word today!

Think about what you're going to say before you say it.:chuckle:

joeyssteelcurtain
01-03-2009, 11:25 PM
I would take Ben over any in the league

Steeldude
01-04-2009, 01:05 AM
IMO, BR is a big QB with a strong arm. i don't see him as a cerebral QB at all. at least, not yet. BR has not grown as QB in the NFL since his rookie season.

is he better than average? yes.

is he great? no.

tony hipchest
01-04-2009, 01:16 AM
IMO, BR is a big QB with a strong arm. i don't see him as a cerebral QB at all. at least, not yet. BR has not grown as QB in the NFL since his rookie season.

is he better than average? yes.

is he great? no.

chad pennington, jason garrett, and gary kubiak were/are all "cerebral QB's".

ben, on the other hand is a football champion and winner.

i certainly dont expect ben to go into coaching when his career is done.

i never expected t. bradshaw to be a coach either.

devilsdancefloor
01-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Whatever ... sure, he might not have winning drives in two minutes if you want to pick apart my post. But I guarantee you he plays huge in the fourth quarter when it counts.

i.e. 2007 16-0 Season ... 14 fourth quarter pts. to come back and beat Indy (both brady TD passes) ... and 21 pts in essentially 15 minutes in the latter part of the second half to save a perfect season vs. the Giants.

Tom brady in the fourth quarter is money in the bank. We, as steeler fans, should know. you can't deny that.

um not to put a damper on your point but um um what has ben done well baically all year? and no one ben is our QB get over it if ya cant get under it.

Polamalu43
01-04-2009, 01:45 AM

Brees
Manning (Not Eli)
Rivers
Cutler

But there is no other QB I would want in the league other than a healthy Tom Brady or Peyton Manning captaining a 2 minute drill to win the game.

hahha you think that tool rivers is better then ben?? umm i dont think so. how many SB rings does rivers have ?? also how many rings does jay gutless have??

MJ5150
01-04-2009, 01:47 AM

Just like us last year.

Ryan is on his way to being a good QB. Not as good as Ben right now, but I could easily see him being so in a couple years.

-Mike

steelreserve
01-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Said it before, and I'll say it again - P. Manning behind our current OL = IR by week 5. Goes for Brady too. :coffee:

Can we trade for Brady?

RoethlisBURGHer
01-04-2009, 06:41 AM
Who would I trade Ben for?

Peyton Manning: He'd be IR quickly, especially after how poorly he played after knee surgery, so nope!

Eli Manning: He has played a lot better this year than his first few seasons, but hasn't done enough to impress me to rather have him than Big Ben.

Tom Brady: Haha, no thank you, I don't want the goat screwer.

Brett Favre: He's the King of Interceptions, especially game losing ones. So for those that bitch about Ben's turnovers but drool over Favre...all I gotta say is "HYPOCRITE".

Drew Brees: This ones tough, because I really like Brees. The only reason the Saints have been mediocre these past few seasons is their defense. Lets just say I would consider it, but I doubt I would do it.

Rick5895
01-04-2009, 07:19 AM
There is more to the QB position than just talent. Ben fits the style and personality of this team better than anyone else in the league, also overlooked way too many times is the effect on the locker room, IMO there is no other QB in the league worthy of being a Steeler, so I wouldn't trade ben for anyone.

Galax Steeler
01-04-2009, 07:20 AM
The only one I would consider would be Manning he is just awesome at finding his recievers and making last minute drives but I like who we have.

TheManOfSteel
01-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Age a factor....

TRADE PARKER. NEVER TRADE BEN!

steelerchad
01-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Most seem to like our QB situation the way it is. I agree totally that there is no QB in the league I'd rather have.

Although, I agree Peyton Manning is probably a little better now, I think the upside is better with Ben. And there is no way I trade the next 10 years with Ben for the 5 years left in Manning.

plenewken
01-04-2009, 09:17 AM
1) P. Manning
2) Brees
3) Brady

and that's it.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-04-2009, 11:00 AM

Brees
Manning (Not Eli)
Rivers
Cutler

Cutler is not a better QB than Ben..

You have to look at the QBs we are talking about here.

Lets go with Manning (not Eli).....if you pressure him....he basically sucks...
... but.....his offensive line usually gives him time..

And the other three quarterbacks would not survive behind the Steelers offensive line.

The steelers are the only team that I watch that constantly allow defenders to get their hands on the QB..... I understand that Ben needs to throw the ball "quicker" but more often than not Ben is running for his life and trying to make a play....
AND its "Making that Play" that the other quarterbacks listed could not do as well as Big Ben

millwalldavey
01-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Ben is my quarterback. The only other ones I wouls even want to see on the field and Leftwich, Batch and Dixon.

JanBr7
01-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Ben is a Steeler. He has a great mentality, and is a top 5 QB. We can't ask for better than that. He has the blue collar mentality and with every QB you have to take the great with the not-so-great. I wouldn't trade him for any of them.

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
i would trade ben to the vikings for T.J. if the vikings threw in A.P.. hehehe

Steelers & I
01-05-2009, 01:38 AM

So is Peyton Manning.