PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Salary Chart

Atlanta Dan
12-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Attached is a link to a chart in today's P-G on Steelers salaries

http://www.post-gazette.com/downloads/20051220_steelerssalaries.htm

Also attached is a link to a related article

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05354/625129.stm

Unrestricted FAs next year are Charlie Batch, Verron Haynes, Chris Hope, Brett Keisel, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Clint Kriewaldt, Quincy Morgan, Antwaan Randle El, Deshea Townsend, Jerame Tuman and Barrett Brooks. Sean Morey and Ike Taylor are the two restricted free agents.

Unless he agrees to some serious rework on his contract, say goodbye to Jeff Hartings, who counts $8 million against the cap next year.

With regard to bonuses, Maddox is due $100,000 if he is on the roster in March - hopefully he gets cut in February :)

clevestinks
12-20-2005, 09:28 AM
I`m really surprised that Hartings knees have held out this long. I remember two years ago him saying that he would be lucky to get two more seasons from his knees. He has no cartlidge left in the knee. Bone on Bone! OUCH!

Suitanim
12-20-2005, 09:50 AM
I think Hartings and Bettis retiring will free up so much cap space (including the cap being raised as well for '06) that the Steelers will actually be in better shape than most years...

In looking at this list:
The unrestricted free agents are: Batch, Verron Haynes, Chris Hope, Brett Keisel, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Clint Kriewaldt, Quincy Morgan, Antwaan Randle El, Deshea Townsend, Jerame Tuman and Barrett Brooks. Sean Morey and Ike Taylor are the two restricted free agents.

I think we keep Batch, Haynes, Hope, Keisel, Kriewaldt, Townsend and both Ike and Morey. Tommy is obviously gone...

Koopa
12-20-2005, 03:25 PM
i really hope we keep hope, ike, and townsend, gotta keep that secondary together they are gonna get better. ARE i wouldn't seeing back but not as a number 2 reciever, hopefully we can pick up one in the draft or free agencie. tommy better be cut he is worthless. batch will probably come back cause he isn't going to start anywhere so he might as well stay close to home and be our number 2.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
12-20-2005, 03:47 PM
we need IKE back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whats going on with our new receiver WASHINGTON, is he ever activated??
i think he could be good....
I hope we can keep our secondary together

Sharkissle29
12-20-2005, 04:45 PM
we need IKE back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whats going on with our new receiver WASHINGTON, is he ever activated??
i think he could be good....
I hope we can keep our secondary together
i've said it before and i'll say it again, IKE IS A FUTURE STAR IN THIS LEAGUE

Suitanim
12-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Future? He's a star now!

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2992

Dook
12-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Batch, good backup, sign to 4 year contract for about $500k a year.

Bettis is gone.

Carter makes $697k next year? He hardly plays. Restructure or cut him.

Colclough makes $978k next year? Restructure or cut him.

Frazier is a bargain.

Harrison, sign him to a 3 year contract for about $800k a year

Hartings is a ten year veteran but can still play but since he is getting into the meat of his contract he is likely gone. We aren't going to pay him $8m for one year with a young Okobi making $2.2 and waiting to take over. Jeff may restructure his contract to play one more year though, which I wouldn't mind seeing.

Haynes gets $659k? That's too much. Cut him and draft a RB in the 1st or 2nd round.

Hope we need to sign as long as he doesn't want way more than he is worth. Sign to a 4 year contract for about $1m a year.

Iwuoma, we need a backup CB, probably worth $570k

Kemo is a bargain and may just start next year in place of Simmons.

Keisel, good backup, sign to a cap friendly 2-3 year contract.

Maddox has to be gone. He just has to be. Go after Josh McCown for about $1.2m a year. If not, draft a QB in the 4th or 5th round.

Quincy Morgan, sign him to a very cap friendly 3 year contract with incentives for performance but draft a WR and have them
compete in the preseason for the #2 WR spot. If Morgan doesn't get it use him as #3 and have him run back kicks.

Polo, sign him NOW to a 6 year contract before anyone else comes sniffing around. I know we are going to have to pay him but, PAY HIM!

Porter, he's not worth $5.4 million. I would ask him to take a pay cut (call it restructure), if he won't accept it then let him test the market, draft a LB in the 3rd round, and play Frazier next year.

Randel El, offer him a 4 year contract for the same amount he is making now. If he doesn't like it then let him go elsewhere. We should draft a WR anyway, 1st or 2nd round.

Simmons, keep as a backup to Kemo next year. Draft an OG in the 3rd or 4th.

Staley, I would ask him to restructure (pay cut) if he isn't happy about it then keep him anyway.

Stuvaints, cut

Taylor, sign him to 5-6 year contract. Pay him.

Townsend, sign him to 5-6 year contract. Pay him.

Tuman, sign to 2 year contract for about as much as he makes now.

Olhoffen, in his 12th year now, sign to 3 year contract.

Wilson, cut him. Ain't worth $2.4m.

Suitanim
12-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Can't quote all that, but there are a few things off here...

The Steelers aren't going to be inking any deals for players whose contracts aren't up, with the possible exception of Max Starks

Carter is a nickel back and has played okay in that role. He's older, though, so cut him AND use that money to pay Colclough. You don't cut contributing players going into their 3rd year, especially at CB.

Harrison is worth more than 800k.

Hartings will almost certainly retire, but, if he doesn't, he'd have to restructure. I think him and Jerome are going to hang it up though...

Forget Josh McCown. They'll sign a QB late.

Porter bought another year by his versatility.

ARE will be gone...too many teams will like his slot play and his return abilities, and the Steelers aren't gonna pay what he wants.

Staley will be cut.

Townsend has absolutely no chance of making this team for next year. Forget it. He's at the end of his contract, is aging, and will not be resigned. Some other team will gladly overpay him. The Steelers have too many young CB's on the team.

Von Oelhoffen is just as gone.

Dook
12-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Another Steelers Salary Chart

http://burghsportsguys.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=35

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Okobi has been waiting a LONG time to get his shot at the starting job.. he's built alot like Webster was.. stocky, tough, strong and will hopefully seize the opportunity when it comes to him.

Dont count on Duce being cut... if Jerome and Jeff retire we'll save alot of money and the Steelers will not to into a new season w/ the only vet running back as willie.... Kimo is still playing beastly and I hate to see him go but his salary is getting bigger...

Dook
12-20-2005, 07:37 PM
I think the Steelers can benefit from renewing contracts before they are up. Why wait until Polo's contract is up before re-signing him? Look what happened with Hines Ward? Polo is going to get a lot of attention from other teams. Secure him long term now.

Carter only plays special teams and makes almost $700k a year? Colclough hasn't come through. If he won't take a pay cut then cut him clean. We have enough depth in our secondary with Townsend, Taylor, Williams, Iwuoma, Hope, Polo, Logan, and McFadden.

Harrison worth more than $800k, yeah probably, but not a lot more because he hasn't had a great pro bowl year. He doesn't have much bargaining power other than to say "I'm average." All the other LB's are making $2-5m but honestly they are a little overpaid considering none of them made the pro bowl this year.

After what happened this year with Ben I'm sticking by signing Josh McCown but not if he wants more than $1.4m a year. We can and should still draft a QB in the 5th or 6th.

ARE gone? So...draft a WR in the 1st and sign Quincy Morgan cheap.

I thought Duce would be cut too, hoped for it. But then I read that he is not hurt and is being held back so Bettis can get more carries since it is his last year. If so, then I think Duce is our #1 RB next year. If he really is hurt then cut him and try and trade up in the 2nd to get an RB in the draft.

Townsend is at 8 years and definately worth more than the $1.4 cap hit he is getting now. I would try to keep him but he is probably going to get more money somewhere else.

Even at 12 years I think Von Olhoffen is too valuable to lose. He's getting $3.2 this year but we should offer him $4 to $4.5 a year for a short term contract. His backup is Kirschke at 9 years making $2.1m but I think Kimo is the man.

Suitanim
12-20-2005, 07:55 PM
The cap will keep Troy from being signed to more jack...it IS a business.

Duce will be cut, and here's why. The rumor is that Cowher isn't happy with him, and it's a rumor that I believe.

Carter only plays special teams and makes almost $700k a year? Colclough hasn't come through. If he won't take a pay cut then cut him clean. We have enough depth in our secondary with Townsend, Taylor, Williams, Iwuoma, Hope, Polo, Logan, and McFadden

I said Carter will be gone. Colclough is in the EXACT same position Ike was last year..small college player trying to catch on to the NFL game. Ike got 3 years, why wouldn't Coke?

The Pro Bowl ain't what it was as a gauge of talent. It's more popularity contest. Haggins and Farrior both deserve it, as do Ike and Casey Hampton. Harrison will get a raise...he'll become the next great Steelers linebacker, too.

The Steelers will keep Batch as #2 and draft a 3rd QB and bring in an UFA to compete.

The Steelers are one of the best teams in the league at evaluating other teams talent for their system, as well as when a player has run out of steam. Kimo will be gone.

TasmanianTroy271
12-20-2005, 08:43 PM
aww man, you gotta love Kimo!

Suitanim
12-20-2005, 09:04 PM
aww man, you gotta love Kimo!

I do...I remember thinking "WTF?" when we picked him up from Cincy back in the day. He was a very undistinguished DT on a bad team, but the players and coaches saw that he had what it takes to play in the 3-4, and the rest is history.

But history is catching up, and it's time for us to find another Kimo...

Dook
12-20-2005, 09:12 PM
One site I found says the Steelers 2006 salary cap is $88.7m with $12.19m cap room. I'm not sure if this includes the increase cap up to $94m (maybe $96m). If we can't sign Polo with $12.19m and then another $5m then we need to get better lawyers.

I'm trying to verify that we are indeed $12.19m under in 2006, sounds a bit too much.

Or, even better, trade Joey Porter and our #2 draft choice to San Francisco for their #2 pick in the draft so we can get WR Nance with our 1st and then pick up RB Lendale White with our 2nd. Use the money saved by trading Porter to pay Polo.

Ike Taylor made $475k this year and is worth much more. He's the tenth ranked defensive player and in the NFL, second in return average (only 1 return). Colclough got $903k this year and will get $978k next year. If they want to keep him as a backup then pay him a backup salary, $400k.

Sharkissle29
12-21-2005, 02:27 PM
The cap will keep Troy from being signed to more jack...it IS a business.

Duce will be cut, and here's why. The rumor is that Cowher isn't happy with him, and it's a rumor that I believe.

I said Carter will be gone. Colclough is in the EXACT same position Ike was last year..small college player trying to catch on to the NFL game. Ike got 3 years, why wouldn't Coke?

The Pro Bowl ain't what it was as a gauge of talent. It's more popularity contest. Haggins and Farrior both deserve it, as do Ike and Casey Hampton. Harrison will get a raise...he'll become the next great Steelers linebacker, too.

The Steelers will keep Batch as #2 and draft a 3rd QB and bring in an UFA to compete.

The Steelers are one of the best teams in the league at evaluating other teams talent for their system, as well as when a player has run out of steam. Kimo will be gone.
how do you see harrison being a star? who's position is he going to fill? he's great but i still do feel the best LB's are on the field. the 2 games he started didnt show me that he was better than porter. do you think he'll be a starter for us next year?

Sharkissle29
12-21-2005, 02:29 PM
One site I found says the Steelers 2006 salary cap is $88.7m with $12.19m cap room. I'm not sure if this includes the increase cap up to $94m (maybe $96m). If we can't sign Polo with $12.19m and then another $5m then we need to get better lawyers.

I'm trying to verify that we are indeed $12.19m under in 2006, sounds a bit too much.

Or, even better, trade Joey Porter and our #2 draft choice to San Francisco for their #2 pick in the draft so we can get WR Nance with our 1st and then pick up RB Lendale White with our 2nd. Use the money saved by trading Porter to pay Polo.

Ike Taylor made $475k this year and is worth much more. He's the tenth ranked defensive player and in the NFL, second in return average (only 1 return). Colclough got $903k this year and will get $978k next year. If they want to keep him as a backup then pay him a backup salary, $400k.
im not sure if 2nd round rookie will fill the void were looking for at the #2 spot on the depth chart. it will definitly take time, but right off the bat we wont see much out of nance. thats why i dont necessarily agree with trading porter, he still has gas in the tank. all rookie recievers take too much time to develop, and im too impatient :bouncy:

tony hipchest
12-21-2005, 03:11 PM
i dont like the idea of cutting ties with porter. some may see this as a great move like letting kirkland or gildon go. i think it would be more in the lines of letting k. green or r. woodson go to early. in a defense full of leaders joey seems to be the heart and soul. hes paid for more than just his production and numbers on the field. he is paid for his presense and fire. cowher loves him and he epitomizes what being a steeler is all about.

losing kimo will hurt

webster-dawson-hartings: those are hard shoes to fill. is okolbi the real deal?

polamalu must be paid. he is the hines ward of the defense. the steelers know this.

why not re-sign hope? a new safety would be a liability.

taylor and colclough must stay. we could be like the lions and keep drafting cb's every year (like they do with wr's) otherwise we need to continue developing these youngsters. look how long deshea waited in the wings. willie williams is not an answer.

losing ARE would hurt but he needs to think about what happened to az hakim once he left the rams. sure his wallet was thick but has anyone heard from him outside of a rams uniform? el is better than wilson and we might have been better served extending el 4 years for 8 mil and bringing in morgan.

id have to say harrison, haynes and carter are all earning the $$$ they make right now. they are definitely not overpaid. if we cant pay them the patriots will probably take all 3 off of our hands without blinking.

Sharkissle29
12-21-2005, 04:50 PM
taylor and colclough must stay. we could be like the lions and keep drafting cb's every year (like they do with wr's) otherwise we need to continue developing these youngsters. look how long deshea waited in the wings. willie williams is not an answer.
coclough has yet to prove anything in his days with the steelers. i think i see a lot more talent in McFadden. work with him, not coclough. ike is the man, imo the most underrated player in the leauge/and team for that matter. in 2 years, these are our starting corners. Ike and McFadden. :)

Dook
12-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Porter is an average NFL LB but in our system our LB's need to be the best. But we are doing okay with them, not getting a lot of sacks or a lot of pressure on the QB's but we are still a top ranked defense. The main problem I have with Porter is his worth, he's not worth $5.4m this year and $6.6m next year. Twice as much as Ben? Come on. You know we can plug Frazier in there and he will develop into another Haggans or Harrison for half the cost. And yes I want an improved LB who can really get us some sacks but Porter certainly hasn't done it. So why continue to pay him $5 to almost $7m a year for the same performance that I can get from my backup who makes less than $1m a year?

Losing Kimo will really hurt.

Okobi, big question mark right now.

Keep Taylor, cut Colclough and don't even think twice about it. He's a backup, not worth $978k next year. He doesn't get to start unless someone else is hurt and he isn't used on kick returns anymore.

Randel El, I don't think he is worth $8m for 4 years. I'm sure someone will though but then someone thought Kendrel Bell was all that too.

I don't think Haynes is earning or worth $687k for what he does. If we do not draft an RB high next year then we may not have a choice but to keep Haynes around.

Carter plays once in a blue moon. I've only seen his name on the field during last weeks Vikings game. That's not worth $700k.

WR Martin Nance as our first draft pick should develop quicker than another because he was Ben's college WR. Tough to pass that up especially when ARE may be gone and we might have to start Quincy Morgan as our #2, or even worse, Cedric Wilson...

Sharkissle29
12-21-2005, 07:36 PM
WR Martin Nance as our first draft pick should develop quicker than another because he was Ben's college WR. Tough to pass that up especially when ARE may be gone and we might have to start Quincy Morgan as our #2, or even worse, Cedric Wilson...

out of all those choices...i wouldnt mind drafting nance as a 2nd round (next to lendale white; unless the steelers plan on picking up duckett or dayne) but would nance be availbale in the 2nd, i dunno. but the idea of quincy morgan starting doesnt sound all that bad to me. he has dropped a few balls this year, but i love his height and speed. as for cedric, cya later?

Suitanim
12-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Again, why did Ike get 3 years to develop, and you are only giving Coke 2? That makes no sense at all...

Martin Nance will not be a 1st rd draft pick. He was injured at the end of last year, and that always hurts...but I bet the Steelers take look at hm.

Dook
12-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Ike Taylor made his way slowly up the ladder and earns $471k in 2005.

Compare that with Colclough's $903k in 2005, then $976k in 2006.

Ike is due for a raise, so is Townsend, cut Colclough and use it to help pay those who actually start.

Nance is ranked 5th and may very well be a 2nd rounder.

I keep going back and forth on the WR or RB in the 1st round. We could take the chance and pass on Nance and take RB Lendale White in the first.

Sharkissle29
12-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Again, why did Ike get 3 years to develop, and you are only giving Coke 2? That makes no sense at all...

Martin Nance will not be a 1st rd draft pick. He was injured at the end of last year, and that always hurts...but I bet the Steelers take look at hm.
because ike showed he had potential. remember that INT he had last year where he leaped up ridiculously high and snagged the ball? forget what game it was, but that was an extremely athletic move. coclough has done a whole lot of nothing this year to prove he's worth the money.

3 words
ike and mcfadden

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Remember all, I was not a CB coming out of college, the Steelers drafted him with the intent of grooming him to be a CB and he's adjusted well.

Coc has been injured off and on and has made some plays, but not to the degree that Ike has. yet.

Atlanta Dan
12-21-2005, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=Suitanim]Again, why did Ike get 3 years to develop, and you are only giving Coke 2? That makes no sense at all...QUOTE]

I think Colclough makes a recurring number of dumb plays (his trifecta of forgetting how to down a punt on the 1 yard line and then being called for a false start twice on the same punt in the Ravens loss comes to mind) and brings zero to the table as a kickoff returner. As far as the future, McFadden has far more upside.

Need to bring Townsend back, perhaps sign Hope, and start builing the rainy day fund for getting Troy locked up sooner rather than later - shedding Colclough is a good place to start in balancing your DB budget.

TasmanianTroy271
12-21-2005, 10:50 PM
I thought that was McFadden with the 2 false starts

If you had told me that Ike Taylor would be our starting cornerback this year and would shut down Chad Johnson last year, I would have laughed in your face. We owe Colclough another year.

I'll be happy if we keep Hope or draft a new FS. I still like Mike Logan for the start... :P

LondonSteeler
12-21-2005, 11:15 PM
my 2cents would be get rid of wilson & carter for a start, im tempted to say simmons as well, cutting duce would cost us 2.1 mill in dead money so i cant see that happening,
hartings and porter should restructure, agree that porter isnt worth the cap figure, but we'd miss the attitude and image he brings.
if we're tight for money, id let hope go and just have mike logan stand in.

clevestinks
12-21-2005, 11:28 PM

I know I was guilty in preseason of saying that enough is enough, ike isn`t going to cut it. But prior to that I was in his corner. Boy did I make a mistake this preseason! Ike is a keeper

Atlanta Dan
12-22-2005, 12:06 AM
I thought that was McFadden with the 2 false starts

If you had told me that Ike Taylor would be our starting cornerback this year and would shut down Chad Johnson last year, I would have laughed in your face. We owe Colclough another year.

I'll be happy if we keep Hope or draft a new FS. I still like Mike Logan for the start... :P

It was McFadden - my bad.

Suitanim
12-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Coke also came from a small school (just like Ike), and when they drafted him, they knew it was going to takle a couple years to get him up to speed. I'm positive the Steelers will cut Deshea and go with Ike, Chidi, Coke and McFadden as their 4 next year (and probably draft someone laste and pick up a FA). Townsend will be 31 next year, and the Steelers will NOT make the same mistake with him (signing big $$$ deal for his waning years) that they did with Chad Scott.

clevestinks
12-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Coke also came from a small school (just like Ike), and when they drafted him, they knew it was going to takle a couple years to get him up to speed. I'm positive the Steelers will cut Deshea and go with Ike, Chidi, Coke and McFadden as their 4 next year (and probably draft someone laste and pick up a FA). Townsend will be 31 next year, and the Steelers will NOT make the same mistake with him (signing big $$$ deal for his waning years) that they did with Chad Scott.
Chad Scott and Washington getting big pay days really set me off, i was always complaining that we needed new corners, not those two. Chad before the knee injury wasn`t bad, but his big pay day came after the knee

Suitanim
12-22-2005, 10:37 AM
..and, until Ben got all his bonuses, Chad Scott was the highest paid Steeler in HISTORY! You cannot award players with big contracts based only on past performance, but on what kind of performance you anticipate from them in the future. Townsend no doubt will want some kind of 4-5 year deal, and he'd be 35-36 at the end of it. If he'd take a 1 year deal, fine, but some team out there with short term needs will be willing to give him a longer deal for more money just to take advantage of the year or two he has left in him...

LondonSteeler
12-22-2005, 11:31 AM
dewayne washington was the worst corner ive ever seen play for us, you could argue some scrub was worse but at least they never got on the field, how that idiot replaced the legend that is rod ill never know

Dook
12-22-2005, 01:48 PM
I would give Townsend a 5 year deal if that is what he wants. NFL contracts are really backloaded anyway, most of the big cash is towards the end. The players mostly just care about the big signing bonus so they are instant millionaires and can go out and get the bling bling and Mercedes SUV.

Give Townsend a 5 year deal, seriously backloaded, with a nice ($3m) signing bonus so he stays. Then after 4 years we replace him.

That's how it works everyday in the NFL.

Suitanim
12-22-2005, 03:59 PM
He has one more year left in him, if that, and by signing him, we delay the inevitable battle between Coke and McFadden, and I'm 100% sure whomever wins that battle will make the defense stronger than it is now.

I just don't see the Steelers signing Townsend...sorry.

BB2W
12-22-2005, 04:06 PM
I think they should let go of Deshea too... I know he may be our best coverman, but we have drafted corner early in the last couple drafts and it is time to let them play. We saw Scott and Washington lose a step around this time in their career after singing a contract extension.