PDA

View Full Version : Potential Chargers vs. Steelers match-up

tony hipchest
01-04-2009, 12:05 AM
im one who believes the ravens are gonna take it to the dolphins, therefore im pretty confident we will be facing the chargers next week.

ben 31/41 308 yds 0td/0int
parker 25/115
ward 11/124

rivers 15/26 164 yds 0td/2int
tomlinson 18/57 1td

tomlinson leads all chargers wr's with 3 rec and 45 yds.

one of our finest offensive showings of the year and we score no td's and need miracle plays by the defense to win.

sproles is a bigger threat than tomlinson was (at that time) and san deigo's defense has stepped it up to another level. meanwhile, the steelers rush defense has taken a hit in its past 4 games and the chargers will most likely be looking at tape of m. jones drew carving up the steelers d.

this will be no easy out if it comes to pass. i'd much rather face miami in the cold, but i highly doubt that will happen.

Dynasty
01-04-2009, 12:21 AM
man there defense is not holding us to no touchdowns if ben goes 31 for 300 and willie gets 4.5 yards a carry... no way in hell haha

SteelersGirlTN7
01-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Remember a big part of that game was the difference in the amount of penalties. Chargers had 1 the whole game (until the illegal forward pass penalty). The Steelers had like, 13? Those helped to keep points otf the board!!

Unless the fix is really in, I don't see that same thing happening to us, if they Chargers should come to us!

GO STEELERS!!

joeyssteelcurtain
01-04-2009, 12:34 AM
I think we win 24 to 10

Steel_Bus_24
01-04-2009, 12:35 AM
13 to 1 was BullS****

If we get fired up too and protect the ball we'll be tough to stop

GridironWarrior
01-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Pitt 10
SD 3

Ben throws a pick Oline gives up 5 sacks. D picks Rivers 3 times. Nobody cracks 100 yards rushing.

section514
01-04-2009, 01:04 AM
http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/product/4284966/view/1/producttypecolor/2/type/png/width/280/height/280http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/product/4284962/view/1/producttypecolor/2/type/png/width/280/height/280 (http://madeyoulook.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/Index/Index/category/15333)

Steelers Win 24 - 13

augustashark
01-04-2009, 01:18 AM
im one who believes the ravens are gonna take it to the dolphins, therefore im pretty confident we will be facing the chargers next week.

parker 25/115
ward 11/124

tomlinson 18/57 1td

one of our finest offensive showings of the year and we score no td's and need miracle plays by the defense to win.

sproles is a bigger threat than tomlinson was (at that time) and san deigo's defense has stepped it up to another level. meanwhile, the steelers rush defense has taken a hit in its past 4 games and the chargers will most likely be looking at tape of m. jones drew carving up the steelers d.

this will be no easy out if it comes to pass. i'd much rather face miami in the cold, but i highly doubt that will happen.

Either warm weather team will be ok with me. Lets hope for some chilly temps. This is why you want games at home.

jcdavey08
01-04-2009, 01:42 AM
good luck next week guys

i expect a close game like sd pitt games always are

i believe pitt still owes us a little payback for that 17-13 superbowl trip we made at their expense in 95

tony hipchest
01-04-2009, 01:51 AM
good luck next week guys

i expect a close game like sd pitt games always are

i believe pitt still owes us a little payback for that 17-13 superbowl trip we made at their expense in 95
well, its not set in stone yet.

last year we saw an inferior miami team, take it to an ok-medium suck ravens team.

you guys may still be going to see the titans, but thanks for the "good luck".

if y'all go to tennessucks, i will be wishing the chargers the same. :drink:

Steeldude
01-04-2009, 01:57 AM
hopefully the steelers don't choke like they did in 94.

tony hipchest
01-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Either warm weather team will be ok with me. Lets hope for some chilly temps. This is why you want games at home.yeah, miami usually sucks everytime they have to face the patriots in foxboro in the winter.

however the steelers could feel "let off the hook" if they dont have to face the hot chargers. its probably a wash either way.

i think the dolphins will be taking a "glad to be here" approach, whereas the chargers still remember many thinking of them as superbowl favorites the past few years.

i'd prefer the dolphins in round 2, but the steelers may actually be better off facing an opponent they cant take for granted.

jcdavey08
01-04-2009, 02:18 AM
hopefully the steelers don't choke like they did in 94.man i thought sd was going to choke big time tonight, we shoulda been up 28-10 but we played way too stupid.

i'm just looking forward to another good playoff game hopefully

Polamalu43
01-04-2009, 02:23 AM
I hope so cause i hate the damn chargers seriously. they are a bunch of loud mouth punks on that team, especially rivers.

augustashark
01-04-2009, 03:02 AM
yeah, miami usually sucks everytime they have to face the patriots in foxboro in the winter.

however the steelers could feel "let off the hook" if they dont have to face the hot chargers. its probably a wash either way.

i think the dolphins will be taking a "glad to be here" approach, whereas the chargers still remember many thinking of them as superbowl favorites the past few years.

i'd prefer the dolphins in round 2, but the steelers may actually be better off facing an opponent they cant take for granted.

It will come down to Pennington and Porter to have their team ready. I agree that just about all the other phins will be "just happy to be there". Pen and Porter however will not be just happy.

Having the Chargers will keep the Steelers on their toes this week for sure. They will know that the Chargers will be looking for payback and are on a roll.

This injury to LT is very important, I know that Sproles can play but lets get real, he is no LT! Plus with the speed we have on D I think we can contain "the little guy".

Fan Of STEEL
01-04-2009, 03:22 AM
I'd love to see the STEELERS play the Chargers and have a river/Ben matchup. Our defense will prevail and they have a fairly poor pass defense. Steelers in this game hands down.

paw-n-maul-u
01-04-2009, 05:12 AM
Chargers got absolutely NO pressure on manning. On the other side, the colts had 4 sacks.

There is no way sproles is going to run on this D like he did Indy. I'm sorry, it just isn't going to happen. Steelers will shut down the run, put it all on rivers shoulders, and let the blitzes go wild.

Same with Miami, it doesn't matter. steelers match up well vs. both of them.

I just hope we get the same officiating crew that did the colts-chargers game ... Maybe there might finally be a holding call for james harrison.

This would be perfect if the ravens won. Then next week they can beat the living sh*t out of each other and hopefully come out a lot more banged up, regardless of which team advances.

Fire Haley
01-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Charger fans prefer Steelers

Steelers are a weaker team, their offense is TERRIBLE, Big Ben fumbles, throws picks and their O-Line has more holes than any team ever.

I really think we can go to PIT and get up 14 - 0 and it will be over, their O is too weak.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=64071

GBMelBlount
01-04-2009, 07:44 AM
hopefully the steelers don't choke like they did in 94.

Dude, you should know that it is important to put one of these -> :smile: at the end of a comment like that to avoid this -> :bricks:

:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
01-04-2009, 08:05 AM

Steelers are a weaker team, their offense is TERRIBLE, Big Ben fumbles, throws picks and their O-Line has more holes than any team ever.

I really think we can go to PIT and get up 14 - 0 and it will be over, their O is too weak.

They better watch what they wish for I don't think our offense is that bad yes the line sucks but I didn't see the chargers getting alot of pressure on Manning so there pass rush didn't look so hot to me.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-04-2009, 08:06 AM

:rofl:

Stupid Charger fans. They couldn't score 14 points on on us last time we played, and the only reason we didn't annialate them is because of craptastic penalties on us.

Do they not realize that last time we played, their team was held to 9 points, as in three field goals?

Go Ravens today, I want the Chargers now.

Let the Ravens and the Titans beat up on each other next week, make it easier on us come the AFC Championship Game.

cubanstogie
01-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Stupid Charger fans. They couldn't score 14 points on on us last time we played, and the only reason we didn't annialate them is because of craptastic penalties on us.

Do they not realize that last time we played, their team was held to 9 points, as in three field goals?

Let the Ravens and the Titans beat up on each other next week, make it easier on us come the AFC Championship Game.

I realize its hard not to be a "homer" , we all have it in us but the Chargers are the biggest homers I have ever seen. I read some responses after Killers link. They won on the shoulders of a 5'6" RB and a punter. Great for them, but to think they will continue against NUMBER 1 D in pretty much every stat is homerism at its best. They think Rivers is Johnny Unitas. Now I really don't care if Ravens win because I want to smack Rivers in mouth as soon as possible. I would think a teams fans would be more humble after squeeking into playoffs when a few weeks earlier they were calling for Norvell to be fired and their season was in disarray.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I realize its hard not to be a "homer" , we all have it in us but the Chargers are the biggest homers I have ever seen. I read some responses after Killers link. They won on the shoulders of a 5'6" RB and a punter. Great for them, but to think they will continue against NUMBER 1 D in pretty much every stat is homerism at its best. They think Rivers is Johnny Unitas. Now I really don't care if Ravens win because I want to smack Rivers in mouth as soon as possible. I would think a teams fans would be more humble after squeeking into playoffs when a few weeks earlier they were calling for Norvell to be fired and their season was in disarray.

What do you expect with all the sun those jerkoffs get? It goes to their head.

They could have just as easily lost that game as they won it. If they think that Sproles is going to run like that in Pittsburgh, then they truly are delusional.

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
i can't beleive this guy going off.. the team the i watched last night got a lil lucky forcing 2 T.O's and still winning... rivers was not good at all in that game..

i'll give the props to the def and to sproles for playing great ball.. and if they didn't have there punter they would of lost

jcdavey08
01-04-2009, 11:43 AM
i like our chances, i think we should be able to pressure ben, pitt's oline is worse than ours in pass protection i believe, which is saying something

pitt's obviously got the better D

i hope my chargers can get lucky

i expect a close game like pitt and sd usually have

i expected a close indy sd game too

even being a chargers fan, i actually like pitt, how can anyone not like polamalu and that defense, and hines ward breaking LBs is great lol, hope he doesn't break any of ours

Fire Haley
01-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Stupid Charger fans.

I knew I could get some fire-breathing going here.:tt02:

GodofGridiron
01-04-2009, 12:35 PM
If we play San Diego, Sproles scares me. Not for his running between the tackles.......he may have some success there, maybe not. Where Darren can kill our defense is in the open field with screen passes or swing passes. No one can match that kinda speed from our defense. So, all it would take is one missed tackle and he could run for 6.

The problem for the Chargers is Darren isnt an everydown back and the added workload isnt something he's shown he can handle, so when we are tackling him, he will wear down. It also helps that he wont be returning kicks if he starts.

But im not gonna take this team lightly. They've got players with heart and tenacity and theyve been fighting elimination for over a month now so they know all about pressure. Theyre battle-tested to the nth degree and everyones doubting them. Theyre trying to make some noise along with history. This aint gonna be easy and i believe they are the toughest out remaining and that includes Tennesee.

Dr. Steel
01-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Didn't both OLB's for the Chargers leave the game last night? I'm pretty sure and if we do then having both of their OLB's nicked up would help our offensive line. I'm also not worried about the Chargers.

Sproles won't be able to run the ball against our defense and Tomlinson with his groin injury probably won't even be a factor. Our defense already showed they can handle Rivers and the Chargers passing game. The Steelers coverage units also have been real solid all season so I wouldn't even worry about Sproles in the return game.

Now the Chargers punter pinning our offense deep concerns me. But other then that I like the Steelers vs the Charger and I think the Steelers are a lock for the AFC title game. Just as long Alfred Pupunu and Tim McKyer don't play in this game then I really like our chances.

But really if the Dolphins beat the Raven today then we face the Dolphins. I don't think the Dolphins are going to win. But I picked the Falcons and Colts yesterday.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Defense and a running game wins in the playoffs. The Chargers have a better defense than the Dolphins.

If you take away Sproles long runs......his YPC average is not great. Just like Parker. :chuckle:

jcdavey08
01-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Defense and a running game wins in the playoffs. The Chargers have a better defense than the Dolphins.

If you take away Sproles long runs......his YPC average is not great. Just like Parker. :chuckle:i still can't believe we help peyton fn manning to only 17 points, and 7 on a trick play

i literally can't believe that

Fire Haley
01-04-2009, 01:15 PM
What do you expect with all the sun those jerkoffs get? It goes to their head.

They are funny though...

Who do you want: PIT or TEN. Why?

I have a bunch of Steeler fan buddies who won't shut up and makes me want to punch them in the face.

And I'd rather see Rothlesberger and his scrambly brains in thier than Leftwich.

http://forums.signonsandiego.com/showthread.php?t=91814

MaidenIndiana
01-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Bring on the Lightning Dolts, I mean Bolts. Indy was the one team I didn't want to play again so thank you San Diego.Your reward will be a good old fashioned beat down. Hope you enjoyed the playoffs.:thumbsup:

SteelersinCA
01-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Living in San Diego, these Chargers fans think they are invincible now. It's amusing. They are always always crying about how they got screwed by he refs and the ball didn't bounce their way.

Easiest way to tell what kind of fan you are dealing with in SD is to listen to the stadium when the Chargers Offense has the ball, people still scream. I imagine if the Ravens win the boards will be flooded with their idiot fans.

SteelersGirlTN7
01-04-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't understand why all these people think the Chargers should have won our first meeting? Phillip Rivers couldn't do anything by air and they weren't running on us. Given Ben's passing stats and the negated Troy TD at the end, I'm going to say we should have at least won that game by 2 TDs . That game was definitely NOT as close as the score was, but yet their fans still have the blinders on! I don't get it!

SteelersinCA
01-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Dolts fan do have blinders, they look through powder blue glasses at everything. They were all jumping off the bandwagon in droves halfway through the season, now every swinging d*ck wears some kind of chargers gear. It's pathetic.

There is no point arguing with them, it's blind fandom.

steelpride12
01-04-2009, 02:24 PM

parker 25/115
ward 11/124

tomlinson 18/57 1td

Tomlinson wont see much action at all probably after only rushing 5 times then sitting out the rest of the game VS the Colts as he aggravated his groin.

JanBr7
01-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Well, it looks like it'll be the Bolts, and I'm guessing the media is gonna be all over them. I hope they even make them the faves coming in to Heinz Field. Then the Steelers will feel dissed, and get fired up. That is all they need to win this game!

Crushzilla
01-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Well, it looks like it'll be the Bolts, and I'm guessing the media is gonna be all over them. I hope they even make them the faves coming in to Heinz Field. Then the Steelers will feel dissed, and get fired up. That is all they need to win this game!

I doubt the Bolts will be favored.

I've already heard a few analysts call a Pittsburgh championship.

Looks like we're back on the radar.

SteelersinCA
01-04-2009, 02:46 PM
No way they are favorites coming in to Heinz. LT isn't going to be playing so now we can gameplan for Sproles.

stillers4me
i still can't believe we help peyton fn manning to only 17 points, and 7 on a trick play

i literally can't believe that

huh?

Crushzilla
No way they are favorites coming in to Heinz. LT isn't going to be playing so now we can gameplan for Sproles.

I missed this.

Is this official?

Crushzilla
01-04-2009, 02:48 PM
huh?

I think he's rolling with SD.

EDIT: replace help with held

EDIT2: 7/10, Chargers fan.

SteelersinCA
01-04-2009, 02:52 PM
I missed this.

Is this official?

Not official, I should have clarified, call it an educated guess. It's not like a detached tendon heals in a week you know?

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
the bolts are a lil banged up right now.. i think that some of the earlier statements about lt having a detached tendon in his groin were partially true since he couldn't play from the 2nd on...

and they are gonna have to get there wr's more involved b/c we can shut gates down unlike the colts did..

SteelersinCA
01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah, maybe they can put them on the line to help stop the pass rush, cause throwing to them is like throwing to Troy!:tt03:

Edman
01-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Baltimore has a 20-3 lead on Miami in the middle of the 3rd Quarter.

The Chargers are returning to Heinz next week.

56SD
01-04-2009, 04:13 PM
first things first, good luck next week. I have respect for this team, and one of my favorite players is Troy Polamalu, hell i didn't even get that mad when he made that crazy interception earlier in the season.

To clear a few things up, our OLBs are fine, LT has a STRAINED groin, a detached tendon would have made it nearly impossible to walk, and the only way to heal it is by really doing nothing but waiting it out. Gates seems okay.

My thoughts on this game:
Another low scoring game and big defensive performances on both sides. Yeah I know, pretty obvious.

I'm kind of disappointed that so many people on here dislike Rivers though.

HometownGal
01-04-2009, 04:21 PM
first things first, good luck next week. I have respect for this team, and one of my favorite players is Troy Polamalu, hell i didn't even get that mad when he made that crazy interception earlier in the season.

To clear a few things up, our OLBs are fine, LT has a STRAINED groin, a detached tendon would have made it nearly impossible to walk, and the only way to heal it is by really doing nothing but waiting it out. Gates seems okay.

My thoughts on this game:
Another low scoring game and big defensive performances on both sides. Yeah I know, pretty obvious.

I'm kind of disappointed that so many people on here dislike Rivers though.

Hey 56SD - welcome to Steelers Fever! :drink:

I think we're in for a WOW of a game but I think the Steelers D is just too powerful for the Bolts O. If they can get in Rivers face early and often, he's in for a long day. I also think our DL can well handle the Bolts running game.

The question remains - will we see a healthy Ben? A healthy Ben is a very dangerous Ben, as you well know.

Sorry about hatin' on Rivers. I see him as an arrogant, spoiled little brat. The Bolts won yesterday despite his turnovers and it gagged me to see him raising his arms at game's end like he was the game hero. :yuck:

I do have a lot of respect for the Bolts and especially LT.

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 04:25 PM
i agree. i like the colts a lot but rivers acts like a total d-bag... the fued between him and culter is funny tho..

56SD
01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Lol, thanks for the warm welcome, and its fine, everyone has their opinion. And yes, I agree, the Chargers offense must have a brilliant day in order to come away with a victory against your D. If we can hold ourselves to not giving you guys the ball when we have it, than we have a chance.

Either way, here's to a good game.

56SD
01-04-2009, 04:30 PM
i agree. i like the colts a lot but rivers acts like a total d-bag... the fued between him and culter is funny tho..

I know it sounds cliche, but it seems he is misunderstood by alot of the NFL. Oh well, its his fault.

Bolts
01-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Heres to a good game next weeks steeler fans :drink:

With the transformation of our D under rivera, and our offensive weapons i really think we're gonna put up a good fight. Thought it will be hard putting up points on your D.

HometownGal
01-04-2009, 04:56 PM

With the transformation of our D under rivera, and our offensive weapons i really think we're gonna put up a good fight. Thought it will be hard putting up points on your D.

Right back atcha! :drink:

BehindSteelCurtain
01-04-2009, 05:37 PM
17-13.........Don't know who wins though. Hopefully last minute TD by Hines just like against Jacksonville.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Isn't it funny how for the whole game Ben can't move the ball down field but when theres 2 minutes left in the 4th and we're down he moves the ball right down the field with no problem?

HometownGal
01-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Isn't it funny how for the whole game Ben can't move the ball down field but when theres 2 minutes left in the 4th and we're down he moves the ball right down the field with no problem?

It's not funny - it's downright awesome imho. :tt03::applaudit:

When the going gets tough, Ben and the Steelers O get going. :tt:

jcdavey08
01-04-2009, 06:43 PM
huh?meant to say 'held' lol

43Hitman
01-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Same to ya. Should be a good game....for us!:drink:

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-04-2009, 07:10 PM

Yep. Downright hilarious. We had to endure that &$*^(! six times...SIX TIMES! this year, and we only won one of them.

Closing the deal has been our major Achilles heel, particularly earlier in the season. But we've pretty much shut the door on the final drives as of late, so if the same situation occurs, hopefully we will have a better outcome.

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 07:28 PM
well when ur punter puts the opposing team inside the 10.. it's hard for any off to move the ball w/o the risk of getting a safety..

Dino 6 Rings
01-04-2009, 07:38 PM
The Chargers Huh?

Bring em on. I look forward to our defense destroying their offense and for our offense to be made to look like a jaugernaut against that pathetic secondary they have.

The Colts have No Running game at all, not even the threat of a running game. Can't say that about the Steelers. As soon as the Chargers see a fullback in the back field they are going to pucker up and realize, the beating is coming.

SteelCityKing
01-04-2009, 07:40 PM
The Chargers Huh?

Bring em on. I look forward to our defense destroying their offense and for our offense to be made to look like a jaugernaut against that pathetic secondary they have.

The Colts have No Running game at all, not even the threat of a running game. Can't say that about the Steelers. As soon as the Chargers see a fullback in the back field they are going to pucker up and realize, the beating is coming.

i couldn't help but notice something...

...your signature has ALL the championship winning teams over the last 42 years. i like the touch. how come you don't have the Chargers on there!? OH YES...they suck. no rings. thanks. =)

jcdavey08
01-04-2009, 07:56 PM
i couldn't help but notice something...

...your signature has ALL the championship winning teams over the last 42 years. i like the touch. how come you don't have the Chargers on there!? OH YES...they suck. no rings. thanks. =)we didn't do enough steroids says jim haslett or cheat the salary cap as well says john elway, and camcorders? chargers wouldn't know what to do with those either, says bill belichik haha

415NavyChief
01-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Well its definitely a match up now! This is the game I wanted to see.
This is going to be a good match up. Steelers do have an excellent Defense but is it good enough to stop the Chargers Offense. I think the Chargers receivers have a leg up on the Steelers pass coverage. Chargers have 2 very deadly running backs, one with power and finesse and the other with speed and finesse. If you look at the stats it looks like the Steelers have the edge. But you can't go on stats. Right now it is an all new season. You can't live in the past you have to perform in the now. The Chargers have made some changes and and they are the team right now with the fire. The edge right now goes to the Chargers they are performing. Good luck Steelers fans, see you all Sunday.

56SD
01-04-2009, 08:33 PM
i see alot of smack talk in here, not as much football talk...

SteelersinCA
01-04-2009, 09:47 PM
The chargers have faced a grand total of 3 decent defenses this year, 4 if you count the Bills when they were playing well. They did NOTHING against us when they played us. We would have beat them by 21 more if it weren't for stupid penalties. They caught the Bucs when they were tired from being old and they lost to the Panthers on opening day.

What is it about the Chargers that makes you think you can do anything to overcome our D or stop our offense to give you a shot? LT isn't playing, you can spin it however you want, but the dude isn't playing. That's a shame but face reality. You are willing to place your faith in a 5'6" RB against the Steelers D. Good luck.:blah:

stillers4me
01-04-2009, 09:57 PM
We would have beat them by 21 more if it weren't for stupid penalties.

And don't forget Troy's TD that was taken away by the refs. The one they admitted they screwed up on.

VegasStlrFan
01-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Note to the Charger fans: if your trying to make a point about your offense out playing the Steelers "D"; prepare for a large dose STFU from the Steeler faithful. Everyone on this board will agree on one thing for certain, "The "D" will not be the weak link", Not this year, no way, no how. Take that crazy talk to some dope smokin southern cal surfer board cause it ain't gonna fly here! Oh, and no one gives a ratsass what the Indy faithful said last week, their "D" isn't on the same level as ours (not even close).

Now, If you want to talk about play calling, punting game, running game, passing game or any other part of the game you will get some good interaction.

Just a suggestion.

SteelersinCA
01-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Um....u gotta show some respect for Sproles tho. He's played really well when called upon, including his 320+ somethin yard performance on Saturday. Him and Rivers will be THE matchups against our Defense to look for.

He has, but he is going to have to be the feature back against our D. I just can't see him getting it done. I'm sorry, I can't. :popcorn: