View Full Version : Atlanta's Mike Smith coach of the year

tony hipchest
01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
:rolleyes:

tony sparano runner up missing it by 1 vote. :rolleyes:

tomlin probably didnt get a single vote. :doh:

SteelCityMan786
01-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Especially after winning so many games by so close of a margin. Yep, no surprise.

stillers4me
01-04-2009, 11:32 AM
People expect excellence from a Pittsburgh head coach.

That we have an excellent one is not a novelty, nor a surprise. While I believe he deserves it, considering the schedule he just coached through, I believe he would rather add to the Steelers Lomabrdi collection than win an award.

SteelCityMan786
01-04-2009, 11:38 AM
People expect excellence from a Pittsburgh head coach.

That we have an excellent one is not a novelty, nor a surprise. While I believe he deserves it, considering the schedule he just coached through, I believe he would rather add to the Steelers Lomabrdi collection than win an award.

I'd take a Lombardi Trophy again.

tony hipchest
01-04-2009, 11:44 AM
AP NFL Coach of the Year voting

Mike Smith, Atlanta 23
Tony Sparano, Miami 22
Jeff Fisher, Tennessee 3
Bill Belichick, New England 1

whadda you know? as predicted, it looks like tomlin didnt even get a single vote. :dang:

"es rachel esay"!

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/01/02/smith-sparano-share-nfl-coach-of-the-year-award/

[A pair of first-year coaches made a splash in the post-season in more ways than one as it was announced that Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith and Miami Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano will share the USA TODAY’s NFL Coach of the Year Award. The award was well-deserved for both coaches as they both engineered a dramatic improvement to their team’s win-loss bottom line.

The turnarounds were nothing short of amazing; the Dolphins were 1-15 before they hired Sparano, whose team tied the record for the best single-season turnaround in NFL history. Miami went 11-5 in 2008, won the AFC East and reached the playoffs. Meanwhile, the Falcons - trying to recover from the Michael Vick episode and head coach Bobby Petrino resigning - grabbed Smith from the Jacksonville Jaguars where he was the defensive coordinator. He turned the Falcons from a laughing-stock to legitimate contenders as the team went 11-5 and earend the fifth seed in the NFC playoffs.

Below is the NFL Coach of the Year voting breakdown; first-place votes are in parentheses:

Mike Smith, Atlanta, 30 (7)
Tony Sparano, Miami, 30 (6)
John Harbaugh, Baltimore, 10.5
Tony Dungy, Indianapolis, 6
Bill Belichick, New England, 5.5
Brad Childress, Minnesota, 1
John Fox, Carolina, 1

freaking morons. bill belichick? because he had to use a 4 year veteran back-up and was graced with the easiest schedule in years?

dissed. steelers need to go win a ring for him, and for lebeau being slighted from the hall of fame.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Congrats to Mike Smith. I saw a feature on him in preseason and he is a coach with such energy, passion for the game and embraces the job of Coach as a teacher. He is most deserved of it.

Dude made lemon-aid from lemons, where for the most part, Sparano just added water to the Countrytime that Parcells brought.

fansince'76
01-04-2009, 11:59 AM
whadda you know? as predicted, it looks like tomlin didnt even get a single vote. :dang:

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/01/02/smith-sparano-share-nfl-coach-of-the-year-award/

A pair of first-year coaches made a splash in the post-season in more ways than one as it was announced that Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith and Miami Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano will share the USA TODAY’s NFL Coach of the Year Award. The award was well-deserved for both coaches as they both engineered a dramatic improvement to their team’s win-loss bottom line.

The turnarounds were nothing short of amazing; the Dolphins were 1-15 before they hired Sparano, whose team tied the record for the best single-season turnaround in NFL history. Miami went 11-5 in 2008, won the AFC East and reached the playoffs. Meanwhile, the Falcons - trying to recover from the Michael Vick episode and head coach Bobby Petrino resigning - grabbed Smith from the Jacksonville Jaguars where he was the defensive coordinator. He turned the Falcons from a laughing-stock to legitimate contenders as the team went 11-5 and earend the fifth seed in the NFC playoffs.

Below is the NFL Coach of the Year voting breakdown; first-place votes are in parentheses:

Mike Smith, Atlanta, 30 (7)
Tony Sparano, Miami, 30 (6)
John Harbaugh, Baltimore, 10.5
Tony Dungy, Indianapolis, 6
Bill Belichick, New England, 5.5
Brad Childress, Minnesota, 1
John Fox, Carolina, 1

freaking morons. bill belichick? because he had to use a 4 year veteran back-up and was graced with the easiest schedule in years?

dissed. steelers need to go win a ring for him, and for lebeau being slighted from the hall of fame.

Can't say I'm surprised. These "awards" become a bigger joke every year. Won't be surprised if Reed or Ware get DPOY over Harrison either. :coffee:

Getting Lombardi #6 to shove up the media's collective ass would be so sweet.

Big D
01-04-2009, 12:18 PM
I think that sparano should have won it. I think that parcells gets to much credit for the dolphins turnaround.

SteelCityMan786
01-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Surprised ol Bill got a Vote.

Godfather
01-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Can't argue with Smith and Sparano. Those were huge turnarounds from a year ago.

stillers4me
01-04-2009, 01:51 PM
While I'm always the first to congratulate a Steeler on any award, they mean nothing in the end.

Both the league MVP and the Rookie of the Year are watching the rest of the playoffs at home.

Oh......and the Comeback Player of the Year isn't looking too hot right now.

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
i think he does deserve the award.. the man took a franchise that hit rock bottom with petrino dipping out ealry, the vick ordeal and evrything else..

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Surprised ol Bill got a Vote.

Turns out that Bob Costas voted for him.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/01/vote_for_belich.html

he didnt think Belijerk would win, but thought he deserved recognition for bringing Cassell along after Brady got hurt. :puke: