PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Pats to franchise Cassel

nojobny
01-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Sources: Pats to franchise Cassel

ESPN.com news services
Updated: January 4, 2009, 1:29 PM ET

The New England Patriots have decided to ensure that quarterback Matt Cassel won't be an unrestricted free agent, as scheduled in March.

Sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the Patriots will use a franchise tag on Cassel that will give the team two options: Trade him if all goes well with Tom Brady's rehabilitation from a knee injury or keep him because all is not well with Brady.

The Patriots' intention to franchise Cassel was first reported by the National Football Post.

That would mean the Patriots would have about $29 million in salary cap space tied up in two quarterbacks, with Brady earning almost $15 million and Cassel guaranteed over $14 million.

However, the cap jumps to $123 million per team, which gives the Patriots $94 million to manage the rest of their roster.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3809444

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 02:09 PM
it's a smart move.. no one knows the situation w/ brady and then they have the option of having cassel start another yr.. or at least get something out of him by trading him

steelreserve
01-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Well, let's just hope that turns out to be too much money for them to waste and they have problems on the line or on defense, or something like that.

The Patriot
01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
You guys can have him if you're willing to spend a pretty penny. :wink02:

RunWillieRun
01-04-2009, 03:27 PM
You guys can have him if you're willing to spend a pretty penny. :wink02:

We don't need the Pats' sloppy seconds. :wink02:

SteelCityKing
01-04-2009, 05:59 PM
the Patriots are like the Yankees...too much money and everything that is wrong with America. =)

Crushzilla
01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
How can they have enough cap space to have two QBs making that much money?

Especially with all the veterans they have.

steelreserve
01-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I guess they've been added to the Cowboys and Redskins as teams that are exempt from the salary cap. I mean, what difference do one or two extra $15-million-a-year contracts make in the grand scheme of things?

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 06:27 PM
either way.. i hope this does bite them in the asses

missedgehead
01-04-2009, 07:43 PM
the Patriots are like the Yankees...too much money and everything that is wrong with America. =)

LOL Any more jokes? Good grief. Give it a rest. 26 rings for my Yankees, and 3 rings for the Pats. Hardly evil. LOL :rofl::rofl:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-04-2009, 07:48 PM
How can they have enough cap space to have two QBs making that much money?

Especially with all the veterans they have.

They only franchised him so that they would have complete control over his trade...Someone like the Lions...Chiefs..or Bears will overpay for him.

Preacher
01-04-2009, 10:59 PM
They only franchised him so that they would have complete control over his trade...Someone like the Lions...Chiefs..or Bears will overpay for him.

Absolutely!

It is also going to be an insurance policy in case Brady doesn't come back.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Great move for the Pats. If Brady is out another year, they have cassell. If Brady is good to go they can trade him.

steelreserve
01-05-2009, 01:07 AM

Is anyone really dumb enough to pay $14 million for Matt Cassel? Or would they be able to renegotiate it to like a third of that long-term? Because that guy on any other team is going to be as average as they get.

Galax Steeler
01-05-2009, 04:00 AM
Could the Brady era in new england be coming to an end soon if he gets hurt or can't play this year and Cassell does good you never know what they are thinking.

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Could the Brady era in new england be coming to an end soon if he gets hurt or can't play this year and Cassell does good you never know what they are thinking.

Ya, but for two million in difference I would take a 50% Brady over Matt Cassel

The Patriot
01-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Ya, but for two million in difference I would take a 50% Brady over Matt Cassel

:iagree:

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 10:00 AM
This years Derek Anderson...

stlrtruck
01-05-2009, 11:02 AM
So for a backup, proven only one year you're going to give him the top 5% money in the league (if I'm correct that's what the franchise tag does)!?

Strange move.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Cassel better negotiate a deal that gets him free agency after the 2009 season if he doesn't see 80% of the offensive snaps in 2009 or does see 80% of the offensive snaps in 2009.

This way if Brady's back and they dont trade him, he's gauranteed free agency and if Brady isn't back he is gauranteed free agency.

That way if the Pats want him permanently, they are forced to work out a long-term deal and will have to deal with other teams courting him.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Goodell fudge the rule for the Pats so they can find a way to keep Cassel without having to compete with other teams.

HughC
01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I saw an interesting comment in The National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/monday-money-matters-18/) - the site espn based their story on - about Cassel. Aside from the obvious angles - insurance if Brady is still hurt, trade him if Brady is healthy - it says that New England would still be $18 million under the cap. Apparently they're in a favorable cap situation so they might be able to afford to do this.

The other thing that caught my eye was in regards to the following year; remember right now 2010 is an uncapped year - with different rules regarding free agency if the league and players don't work out an agreement before then.

One final note on Cassel. As it stands now, with 2010 an uncapped year due to the NFL owners opting out of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, six years of service will be required for unrestricted free agency. Cassel, should he play for the franchise tag number in 2009, will be a restricted free agent in 2010, his services still controlled by the New England Patriots. This presents another reason why the Patriots have to tag him.

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Why all the hubbub? He played like shit against most of the quality teams they faced, he benefited from the "call no holding against thy Pats" rule, teams had no film against him, and he'll end up a career back-up just like DA.

It really makes me laugh to see people jump on these one-hit-wonders bandwagons...

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Why all the hubbub? He played like shit against most of the quality teams they faced, he benefited from the "call no holding against thy Pats" rule, teams had no film against him, and he'll end up a career back-up just like DA.

It really makes me laugh to see people jump on these one-hit-wonders bandwagons...

He already is a career back-up.

He just accidentally stumbled into the foreground.

:shout: "Matt, you're in the shot. Take a step back."

Ishkabibble
01-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm in Houston. A couple seasons ago the Texans traded two 2nd round picks to ATL for Matt Schuab and that trade's starting to look pretty good right now. And they made that deal after he'd had only two career starts.
Does giving $30 million+ guaranteed to Alex Smith, David Carr or Vince Young sound like such a better alternative? Sam Bradford and Matthew Stafford are big, fat "maybe's" at this juncture, and nothing more. Cassell's 26, a very good athlete and now he's got a season's worth of experience under his belt. He improved steadily every week and by seasons end, his numbers were damn good. If you're Detroit, KC, St Louis or any other QB-needy team, you can hope and pray that Stafford or Bradford plays like Roethlisberger or Ryan did as a rookie but I'll take the under on that....the WAY WAY under.

Steeler in Carolina
01-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I think it is a pretty good move for them, but that is a lot of money tied up at the QB position. I don't think Brady will be with them. They will either cut or trade him.

The Patriot
01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
I think it is a pretty good move for them, but that is a lot of money tied up at the QB position. I don't think Brady will be with them. They will either cut or trade him.

:toofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
01-07-2009, 09:38 PM
. He improved steadily every week. thats odd ....so that big game he had against the steelers was an improvement from the week before ??? :popcorn:

HughC
01-07-2009, 10:02 PM
thats odd ....so that big game he had against the steelers was an improvement from the week before ??? :popcorn:
Once the Steelers took the lead they took their TE out and went to a 3-WR set. Calculated move, turned out to be the wrong one for them. Without TE help, he was a sitting duck. If they want to blame somebody for the loss, it's the guy who muffed that kickoff, not Cassel. They fell behind and decided to roll the dice rather than be patient - and lost.

Ishkabibble
01-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah, one week. Last I checked, the Steelers defense was tough on everyone this season. But you're right, one week vs. the NFL's best defense trumps the other 14 starts. Pretty convincing argument. Cassell sucks; what was I thinking? $30+ million guaranteed for Matthew Stafford...that's the route to go.

revefsreleets
01-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I think what we are finding is that NE has a very friendly system for QB's. Cassell is an average QB playing behind a good line against weak competition, just like DA last year. Ship him to 28 other teams and he'll show his true colors.

BUT anything that eats up the evil empires resources works for me...

Stlrs4Life
01-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to offer him a decent contract?

revefsreleets
01-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Probably, but the NFL is a copycat league, and some idiot team or other probably would have offered him $150 million or something. If there are problems with Brady (and there are reports that there may be) they have a system QB who knows the playbook who can help them win.

The Duke
01-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Panthers maybe?

Delhomme just turned 34, and we all saw his performance on saturday. They need a future qb, and if they are desperate they may go for it

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 09:04 AM
I think the Panthers address it in the draft next year (they have no 1st rd pick, so take a QB in rd 2 and groom him for a year under Delhomme).

Just MHO.