PDA

View Full Version : Steelers wont be smashmouth on offense anymore.

T.Richardson
01-04-2009, 01:59 PM
At RB there are 4 average backs. Parker, Moore, Mendenhall, and Russel. They are not the big back that can run up the middle and run guys over. The Steelers I believe are now more finesse. Finesse does not neccessairly mean that the Steelers will be a worse team, because finesse teams are successful in this league, look at the Colts, Patriots.

So I think that this Steelers team will not be able to grind out the football like in years past. Im thinking with Ben, and these small backs, it will be more of a pass first team.

I know you guys hate that the steelers pass the ball much more, but we should accept what Arians wants to do, theres a reason why he is the OC and we are just fans. Though his playcalling is a bit...odd.

T.Richardson
01-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Lol look how brainwashed people get after one year of sub-par offense.

its not the first time the Steelers were a pass first team, Maddox attempted 500 passes back in '03.

stillers4me
01-04-2009, 02:35 PM
I know you guys hate that the steelers pass the ball much more, but we should accept what Arians wants to do, theres a reason why he is the OC and we are just fans.

No we don't. Not when it doesn't work and the entire league knows it. It's awful. Yea...yea. We're 12-4 but it's not because we have a fearsome offense. Are you all that happy with "just enough to get by".? Because one day, real soon, that may not be enough. I hate when Ben has to pull a win straight out of ass. We can be better than that.

It would be easier to be all rah rah about the offense at 12-4 if the entire football world wasn't constantly commenting about how weak it is. Doesn't that give you a clue? It is our Achilles heel.

And from comments made by the players, they aren't happy with it, either.

Hapa
01-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I honestly believe if we had, say, the 15th best offense in the league, we'd be more like 14-2.

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 03:00 PM
how do u know that mendenhall won't be a bruiser back.. it's not like we got to see a lot of him this yr

Sharkissle29
01-04-2009, 03:14 PM
how do u know that mendenhall won't be a bruiser back.. it's not like we got to see a lot of him this yr

any word on how mendenhall is recovering?

GridironWarrior
01-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Arians and the Oline is what keeps this team from being a Super Bowl Team. Look at how the Ravens are running out the clock on the Fins. Wish the Steelers could do that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2009, 03:58 PM
A RB doesnt have to be 250lbs to have a power running game. He just needs to run strong. Some committment to the running game and a decent lead blocker will help.

Anybody notice that the Colts had a 3rd and 2 in their final drive, went empty backfield and Manning got sacked on the 5 yard line?? Look familiar?? That is what not having a strong running game can do in the playoffs!!

SteelCityKing
01-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Whats THAT supposed to mean? :mad:

i think he was asking, how is Mendenhall recovering!? kind of obvious! haha!

in my eyes, the Steelers need to revaluate a bit of their running game. Willie Parker didn't catch the Browns on fire...but he was hot. what were they doing right? was it a decent blocking game? was it a good formation? was Willie that much more healthier!? -- Willie isn't a smashmouth player. he's fast and finesse and he's quick. since he's been injured he's been a bit down and out. we ALL know that. so, why not take the same formula we used on the Clevelanatti Browngels and bust it out on the "Whale's Vagina" Chargers! i'm sure it'll work...probably even better than it did against the Browns.

Shoes
01-04-2009, 06:04 PM
That is why we have Sweeeeeeeed! :chuckle:

welder4pit
01-04-2009, 06:06 PM
A RB doesnt have to be 250lbs to have a power running game. He just needs to run strong. Some committment to the running game and a decent lead blocker will help.

Anybody notice that the Colts had a 3rd and 2 in their final drive, went empty backfield and Manning got sacked on the 5 yard line?? Look familiar?? That is what not having a strong running game can do in the playoffs!!it does seem ben gets in ttrouble on 3rd and short.why did they let go of najeh davenport

Steeldude
01-04-2009, 08:34 PM
the running game is mostly about the O-line, not the RB

stlrtruck
01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Don't you also need an offensive line that can make holes for the RB? Is it just me or does everyone want to lay the woes of this season at the feet of Roethlisberger, Parker, or Arians without once acknowledging the fact that our offensive line has been, well, offensive more times than not.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2009, 09:06 PM
it does seem ben gets in ttrouble on 3rd and short.why did they let go of najeh davenport

Because he ran too upright and was a worse 3rd down RB than either Mewelde Moore or Gary Russell.

ricksteelers55
01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Because he ran too upright and was a worse 3rd down RB than either Mewelde Moore or Gary Russell.

Maybe but he was our best player on short yardage.

he converted 2 out of 2 3rd and short this year and 9 out of 10 last year,and when i see our % on goal line ...I know he wasnt the most popular player but you have to wonder they didnt keep the guy,at least he was good for something very usefull

Dino 6 Rings
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Maybe but he was our best player on short yardage.

he converted 2 out of 2 3rd and short this year and 9 out of 10 last year,and when i see our % on goal line ...I know he wasnt the most popular player but you have to wonder they didnt keep the guy,at least he was good for something very usefull

Because that's all he was good at. He didn't pick up blitzes well at all, and wasn't very good in passing routes because he couldn't grasp the playbook.

Also, it appears he's home again this Post Season. Colts had him, and didn't use him often this post season. I wonder why? Cause he's no good.

As for Smash Mouth. We still play smashmouth. Our Defense Smashes People in the mouth every week and Hines smashes people in the mouth every running play.

I'm all about that type of smash mouth.

stlrz fan
01-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Give Mendenhall the chance to be that guy. He could explode next year. I miss Kreider!

markymarc
01-05-2009, 07:35 AM

I really believe Mendenhall can be our bruiser back. Can't wait to get him back 100% and see what he can do in 2009.

markymarc
01-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Don't you also need an offensive line that can make holes for the RB? Is it just me or does everyone want to lay the woes of this season at the feet of Roethlisberger, Parker, or Arians without once acknowledging the fact that our offensive line has been, well, offensive more times than not.

Yes our OL is pretty bad, but that's just silly to not think Arians isn't part of the problem either.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Um, we don't even know what we have in Mendenhall yet, he got injured for the season in the first Ravens game.

He was supposed to be the Smash in our Smash and Dash. So why don't we wait and see what he can do next season before saying this team doesn't have a smashmouth RB?

Fordy
01-05-2009, 09:18 AM

:thmbup: Both Mewelde Moore and Russell both gain alot of yards after contact. Parker is the only finesse back we have, the jury is still out on Mendenhall.

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Um, we don't even know what we have in Mendenhall yet, he got injured for the season in the first Ravens game.

He was supposed to be the Smash in our Smash and Dash. So why don't we wait and see what he can do next season before saying this team doesn't have a smashmouth RB?

:thumbsup:

Patience is a virtue Steelers fans. Right now, we've got to go with what we've got in Parker, MeMo and Russell. There are teams out there who wished they had our "dilemna" (without the swiss cheese OL, of course).

stlrtruck
01-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Yes our OL is pretty bad, but that's just silly to not think Arians isn't part of the problem either.

I'm not saying he's not part of the problem but rarely have I seen people on this forum throw the O-line under the bus the way they have Arians or Ben or Willie. My point being, maybe Arians isn't as bad as we thought if they can get an O-line in place that can give 60% better protection than what they have this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 12:40 PM
but rarely have I seen people on this forum throw the O-line under the bus the way they have Arians or Ben or Willie. .

Have you been reading the same forum?? I think if you polled this forum, at least 75% would blame the offensive line first, then Arians playcalling, followed by Parker and finally Ben.

T.Richardson
01-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Have you been reading the same forum?? I think if you polled this forum, at least 75% would blame the offensive line first, then Arians playcalling, followed by Parker and finally Ben.

actually I believe Ben gets blamed first.