PDA

View Full Version : Chargers don't scare me.

Pages : 1 [2]

LVSteelersfan
01-05-2009, 05:22 AM
OMG, that is freaking HILARIOUS. About as hilarious as all these Dolts fans predicting they are coming out of Pittsburgh with a win next weekend. It is possible, but highly unlikely. I see Ben having an epiphany and throwing for about 350 on these clowns. Rivers will be sacked about 5 times and hurried into 2 INTS, at least one a pick six. I see the Patsies game all over again.

If the Chargers don't scare you their theme song should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCxhtGMhc

Is that the Village People singing that tune?

GBMelBlount
01-05-2009, 06:55 AM
If the Chargers don't scare you their theme song should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCxhtGMhc

Is that the Village People singing that tune?

"Hey we went 8-8! Let's find the Village People, make a video and post it on youtube!" Wooooohoooo!!!!!

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-05-2009, 12:12 PM
This is gonna be one long week... :coffee:

Steeler nation, kiddo. Don't be hatin'. :tt02:
-Ol' Slashy
Cedar Rapids, IA

Hate all you want. You got the 5 rings. We got nada. That gives you squatters rights. And I'd be a fool to think that we can manhandle a DL coached by John Mitchell. You guys have some serious rock in the middle of the field.

My point is that I've lived this Charger season on every play, so the ebb and flow is that much more intrinsic to what needs to be done, and predicting what needs to be done. And part of Rivers' success that he's had is having a credible rushing attack.

On a side note, it would be interesting to compare statistics in "strength of schedule" light. In other words, a 200 yard passing game against the Steelers would be calculated as equal with, say, a 300 yard passing game against a team like the Raiders. I think a lot of my fellow Bolt fans would be wise to take note with regard to raw numbers.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
On a side note, it would be interesting to compare statistics in "strength of schedule" light. In other words, a 200 yard passing game against the Steelers would be calculated as equal with, say, a 300 yard passing game against a team like the Raiders. I think a lot of my fellow Bolt fans would be wise to take note with regard to raw numbers.

Excellent point by this man.

ts888
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
strength of schedule wise, Steelers played 5th hardest. Chargers played 12th hardest. A definite difference but maybe not quite as great as some would think.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Steelers were my pick for the Superbowl many weeks ago.

Now, I only can hope that I was wrong about that prediction. But that Steeler defense still scares the piss outta' me. Our tackles are dogshiit vs. this kind of pass rush.

Look. The chargers are not likely to get more than 100 on the ground. But if they can find some favorable matchups in open space with Sproles, Gates, & even Hester... they will have a good shot. I don't see more than 1 TD for the Chargers offense, though.

The key to this game will be stuffing Willie & the running game and forcing Ben or Byron into bad throws. If the Steelers get this running game going, we're screwed.

Good luck. This is going to be the best game of the weekend.

chargertom
01-05-2009, 12:43 PM
What is with all these whiny steeler fans demanding respect?
Earn it first.
You've played pretty well all year, just like the Colts.
17 is all you'll score and that won't be enough. Period.
As for Rivers v. Concussion boy, go to NFL.COM and click on QB stats....Rivers by a mile. Don't personally CARE for stats but that's where you'll find the numbers regarding who dinks and dunks.
Whether it's luck, Karma, skill....don't care; pitt and their obnoxious, blowhard fans are eliminated this week.

chargertom
01-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Oh yeah...the song was recorded about 20+ years ago, mensa.

fansince'76
Earn it first.
As for Rivers v. Concussion boy, go to NFL.COM and click on QB stats....Rivers by a mile. Don't personally CARE for stats but that's where you'll find the numbers regarding who dinks and dunks.
Whether it's luck, Karma, skill....don't care; pitt and their obnoxious, blowhard fans are eliminated this week.

If you're so damn great, why did you only go 8-8? You made the playoffs by default because the rest of your division sucks even worse than you do. See ya, troll. Jagoff. :wave:

memphissteelergirl
Listen, I take no team lightly. In the playoffs, any team is capable of beating anyone. But I just do not see the Chargers beating the Steelers at home. I just don't.

I do know one thing - the Steelers themselves will not take the Chargers lightly. Mike Tomlin will not allow it to happen.

What he said...

cubanstogie
01-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Steelers were my pick for the Superbowl many weeks ago.

Now, I only can hope that I was wrong about that prediction. But that Steeler defense still scares the piss outta' me. Our tackles are dogshiit vs. this kind of pass rush.

Look. The chargers are not likely to get more than 100 on the ground. But if they can find some favorable matchups in open space with Sproles, Gates, & even Hester... they will have a good shot. I don't see more than 1 TD for the Chargers offense, though.

The key to this game will be stuffing Willie & the running game and forcing Ben or Byron into bad throws. If the Steelers get this running game going, we're screwed.

Good luck. This is going to be the best game of the weekend.

there is a post that makes sense. That is how I see Chargers moving ball, Gates over middle, and sproles out of backfield. Which is fine, I just don't want to see them throw deep with big receivers and I don't see them running for over 100 either.You can't shut everything down. If Ben doesn't turn it over more than once we win IMO.

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Earn it first.

stfu

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29685&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2008&week=REG11

rivers dinked and dunked his way to a loos with a puny 6.31 ypa.

rivers dinked and dunked his way to a paltry 6.9 ypa last year.

ben's carreer is 7.9 (one of the greatest of all time)

rivers had an 8.4 this year to raise his to a 7.5

youre a joke.

kmsteelerwr15
01-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Earn it first.

well we dont whine about we respect, we prefer to be under the radar.
well 17 is all we need when the Chargers struggle to get double digits against the #1 D
ok you want stats....how many wins does Rivers have in his career ya thats what i thought and calling him concussion boy is real classy especially when no Steelers fan was calling him gimp last year in the playoffs or is calling LT groin boy, or Merriman ACL Tear

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 01:16 PM
there is a post that makes sense. That is how I see Chargers moving ball, Gates over middle, and sproles out of backfield. Which is fine, I just don't want to see them throw deep with big receivers and I don't see them running for over 100 either.You can't shut everything down. If Ben doesn't turn it over more than once we win IMO.

Agree. This game is all about the basics. Most games are this time of year, but I see both teams struggling to get the ball in the endzone. The steelers usually win these types of battles.

I am done doubting this Chargers team though. Norv the Alien has mindf*cked me into oblivion at this point. I swear... Norv defies football logic. At the same time, these Charger players were so friggin' soft through 12 games that there was no reason to believe they had anything left.

Thank gawd for the hapless, Jay Cutler-led Donkeys and their epic collapse.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Earn it first.

This retard is a moderator on the chargers forums, haha. Typical hypocrite Dolt fan. Chad Pennington is the #2 rated QB, you still want to talk about stats?

fansince'76
01-05-2009, 01:27 PM
This retard is a moderator on the chargers forums, haha.

Really? From his birthdate he registered with here at least, he's 50+ years old. Yet he gets his kicks trolling other boards like a 12-year-old? Sad.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Really? From his birthdate he registered with here at least, he's 50+ years old. Yet he gets his kicks trolling other boards like a 12-year-old? Sad.

Well I suppose someone could have taken his name, but if it's the same Chargertom on the Chargers forum, he is definitely a mod. Their fans are weak, way weak. It's the plethora of guys like that that give people like that TDsan Diego guy a bad name. At least he is respectable.

fansince'76
01-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Well I suppose someone could have taken his name, but if it's the same Chargertom on the Chargers forum, he is definitely a mod. Their fans are weak, way weak. It's the plethora of guys like that that give people like that TDsan Diego guy a bad name. At least he is respectable.

Most of the Chargers fans that have been coming here have been really cool so far.

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I am done doubting this Chargers team though. Norv the Alien has mindf*cked me into oblivion at this point. I swear... Norv defies football logic. At the same time, these Charger players were so friggin' soft through 12 games that there was no reason to believe they had anything left.
:chuckle:

actually, i watched tomlinsons press conference after their 8th loss and that was some pretty compelling stuff. i feel that had more to do with their turn around more than anything turner or rivera said or did.

i wasnt positive they would make the playoffs, but i knew they would come out and fight (especially with 3 games to go and the likelyhood/hope of denver slipping).

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 01:39 PM

Only board I "troll" is Orangemane.com - because I just hate the Broncos so much I can't help myself.

Other than that, I promise not to bring that BS here. The Steelers are worthy of my respect.

BTW - I confess I'm not a Charger lifer. The first team I can ever remember "liking" was the Steelers. But that was when I was 7yrs old, before I started playing football. When I was 8 I started playing Pop Warner and wanted to catch like Winslow, Joiner, & Co.

The winner of this game... goes to the Superbowl. Bank it. :drink:

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Most of the Chargers fans that have been coming here have been really cool so far.

I'll second that. :drink:

Out of the 40 or so that have registered since yesterday, we've only had a couple of trolls. Sure beats the hell out of having to constantly lower the ban hammer on those Tites trolls that were infecting our board.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey I just found out Darren Sproles and Cletis Gordon live in my complex. I know a person who works here, anyone think I should decorate their doors with some Steelers stickers????

43Hitman
01-05-2009, 01:44 PM
This retard is a moderator on the chargers forums, haha. Typical hypocrite Dolt fan. Chad Pennington is the #2 rated QB, you still want to talk about stats?

:nono:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
But that was when I was 7yrs old, before I started playing football. When I was 8 I started playing Pop Warner and wanted to catch like Winslow, Joiner, & Co.

:
Wes Chandler, Kellen Winslow, Chuck Muncie, James Brooks..........the good Ole days huh?

I always liked watching the Bolts back then, but they couldnt spell "D" let alone play it. Whoever has the football last won most of those games.......good times.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey I just found out Darren Sproles and Cletis Gordon live in my complex. I know a person who works here, anyone think I should decorate their doors with some Steelers stickers????

Darren would love some more ice at this point. He'd probably laugh if you wrapped it in a terrible towel. :thumbsup:

Poor little guy is worn out.

rbryan
01-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Gotta love the Dolts fair weather fans, check thier boards 6 weeks ago, they were jumping off the wagon like it was the Titanic.

There were more "Fire Norv" and "LT is done" threads than all other topics put together. Manage to squeak out a lucky win against the Colts and all of a sudden you're back in the saddle.

Enjoy this week.......I'll say my goodbyes now because none of you will be around next Monday.

43Hitman
01-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Ya like the steelers hard core fans that want to get rid of ben and put leftwich . Saying willi parker sucks, and bashing holmes. Please you guys are just as bad as anyone else!

Dude, your giving the rest of the cool Charger fans a bad name. You should stop while your ahead.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 02:18 PM
I was one Charger fan who threw the season in the shiiter. @ 4 - 8, there was little hope... especially after seeing that horrible performance at home vs. Atlanta.

The Raider game was a solid performance.
KC... awful performance except for the final 4 minutes or so.
It wasn't until that Tampa game that we actually could believe that this team had some fire, some pride, and some noticeable turn around in attitude.

It is what it is. This Chargers team is playing A LOT better now than they were even 3 weeks ago. It's obvious in the performance of the defense. A simplified game plan, healthier Luis Castillo (big key), and special teams have brought us here. Not to mention the epic donkey collapse.

But so what? Throw the records out. This is probably where the Chargers would have ended up had they gone 12-4 anyways. right?

They're playing their best football of the year when it matters most. If the Steelers play their best then Pitt should win. If not, it's a damn good bet that the Chargers could walk out of there with the victory.

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 02:29 PM
i just don't think that sproles can have that many touches again for a 2nd straight week.... i betting we'll see more of bennett if LT can't go..

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 03:39 PM
i just don't think that sproles can have that many touches again for a 2nd straight week.... i betting we'll see more of bennett if LT can't go..

Sproles can tote the rock for a few weeks as a RB. But Norv may need to give one of the return roles to someone else.

But yeah, Norv's already stated that Bennett will play more this week. That's actually good news for us. He's big enough to play the Michael Turner role for a couple of games. I'd expect him to get 5-10 touches this week.

Steelers & I
01-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Sproles can tote the rock for a few weeks as a RB. But Norv may need to give one of the return roles to someone else.

But yeah, Norv's already stated that Bennett will play more this week. That's actually good news for us. He's big enough to play the Michael Turner role for a couple of games. I'd expect him to get 5-10 touches this week.

Be careful with Bennett, he may kill the Chargers hopes with his fumbling problem.
I'm hoping that he does get 10 or so carries, that's more opportunites for him to cough it up.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Isn't Sproles pretty sore? I think he better get ready for the Steelers D, you know they hit harder than the Colts.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Be careful with Bennett, he may kill the Chargers hopes with his fumbling problem.
I'm hoping that he does get 10 or so carries, that's more opportunites for him to cough it up.

Guess we have no choice, right?

Jacob Hester is a rookie RB. But he's playing FB right now. He could be a factor, but more as a receiver I think.

sdchargeher
01-05-2009, 08:27 PM

cromartie is expected to do kick returns with cletis gordon. sproles on punt returns

sdnunes
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
cromartie is expected to do kick returns with cletis gordon. sproles on punt returns

That makes sense. Sproles needs his load lightened, and Cro and Cletis are the fastest guys on the team. Maybe a nice kickoff return early in the game will get Cro going... he hasn't taken an INT back since the Jets game in Week 3...

Edman
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm not being completely fair to the Chargers.

Yes, their Defense has improved, and they did shut down Peyton Manning in the playoffs, but the Chargers have always done that. They own the Colts. In fact, Peyton has rarely played well in the playoffs.

There is one thing that concerns me about the Chargers. Their punter. He's the best in the league and everyone ignores the important aspect of special teams. Scifres can really influence the outcome of the game with his booming punts. I can hope he has an off day against the Steelers.

Chargers17
01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
I LOVE these forums. You have fans on both sides saying "Dont live in the past, then using the past to win thier arguements. Steeler fans in here saying, "Don't bring up the 94 Championship Game", then saying things like "look at our 5 Lombardi's."
Then they say "Dont look at what Phillip Rivers #''s were this year, they dont matter, and follow that up with reciting his stats against them earlier this year. I have TONS of repsect for your franshise and your fans, but the dude who said Leftwich throws a better ball than Rivers, might be getting his prescriptions from the same guy that Merriman does :noidea:

Chargers17
01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
There is one thing that concerns me about the Chargers. Their punter. He's the best in the league and everyone ignores the important aspect of special teams. Scifres can really influence the outcome of the game with his booming punts. I can hope he has an off day against the Steelers.

Good point, fans dont pay enough attention to SP Teams, but I've also read where Pitt has great SP Teams coverage units, which is something im not overlooking.

sdchargeher
01-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Yes, their Defense has improved, and they did shut down Peyton Manning in the playoffs, but the Chargers have always done that. They own the Colts. In fact, Peyton has rarely played well in the playoffs.

Scifres was on pace to break the punting avg. record this year. I highly doubt he has an off day now and he already has the most hang time in the league. A high punt in the cold with a bunch of guys running at you can be difficult to field.. .or you can let it bounce and have pro bowl special teamer kassim osgood down it inside the 20 for sure.

43Hitman
01-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Scifres was on pace to break the punting avg. record this year. I highly doubt he has an off day now and he already has the most hang time in the league. A high punt in the cold with a bunch of guys running at you can be difficult to field.. .or you can let it bounce and have pro bowl special teamer kassim osgood down it inside the 20 for sure.

Well to break the punting average record, don't you have to be punting alot to do that? Yeah, you guys can have that record, cause you'll be punting a whole lot on Sunday. If we don't force fumbles and picks of course.:chuckle:

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Scifres was on pace to break the punting avg. record this year. I highly doubt he has an off day now and he already has the most hang time in the league. A high punt in the cold with a bunch of guys running at you can be difficult to field.. .or you can let it bounce and have pro bowl special teamer kassim osgood down it inside the 20 for sure.weve been dealing with that all year. its nothing new.

why do you think ben had to drive 92 yards to beat the 2nd best defense in the league in the final 2 minutes against the ravens?

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-05-2009, 09:46 PM

Scifres performance was the best punting performance in NFL playoff history. He set records in BOTH longest net yardage (51.7 yards) and in average starting position for the opponent (8-yard line). Not one punt was downed or returned past the 19 yard line.

In fact, i will concede that if two or three of his punts go into the endzone, you would be facing Peyton Manning and the crew today.

However, to business: in the colder weather, the ball will not travel as far, so it will be more important to punt toward the coverage zone than for distance.

X-Terminator
01-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Scifres performance was the best punting performance in NFL playoff history. He set records in BOTH longest net yardage (51.7 yards) and in average starting position for the opponent (8-yard line). Not one punt was downed or returned past the 19 yard line.

In fact, i will concede that if two or three of his punts go into the endzone, you would be facing Peyton Manning and the crew today.

However, to business: in the colder weather, the ball will not travel as far, so it will be more important to punt toward the coverage zone than for distance.

Not only that, but if it's windy, it will play havoc with the ball on top of it not traveling very far. I don't see Scifres having a 50+ yard average, but he seems to have excellent control of his kicks which will be far more beneficial if he has to kick low line drives to cut through the wind.

Steelers & I
01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Guess we have no choice, right?

Jacob Hester is a rookie RB. But he's playing FB right now. He could be a factor, but more as a receiver I think.

I like Jacob Hester, I was kind of hoping that the Steelers would have picked him up in the middle rounds.

Seeing that he is Terry Bradshaw's nephew, I thought that there may be a chance.

markymarc
01-06-2009, 07:44 AM

Scifres is a great punter and IMO I don't see him having another field day in Pittsburgh in that cold wintery weather. But field position will be big for the game.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I LOVE these forums. You have fans on both sides saying "Dont live in the past, then using the past to win thier arguements. Steeler fans in here saying, "Don't bring up the 94 Championship Game", then saying things like "look at our 5 Lombardi's."
Then they say "Dont look at what Phillip Rivers #''s were this year, they dont matter, and follow that up with reciting his stats against them earlier this year. I have TONS of repsect for your franshise and your fans, but the dude who said Leftwich throws a better ball than Rivers, might be getting his prescriptions from the same guy that Merriman does :noidea:

You can bring up 94, you can bring up the 70's and 80's, and I'll definitely bring up the 5 Lombardi Trophies!!! And while historical facts are fun, there is one thing that many fans (and I myself drive down this road from time to time) fail to recognize - the past is just that the past and it will have no bearing on this game.

I mean really, if we look at the past here's what you get:
1) Tomlin is 0-1 in the playoffs, according to that the Steelers can't win on Sunday
2) Rivers notoriously finds himself out of the playoffs after having a huge game (like he did against the colts). So according to that he and the chargers can't win
3) Coach Norv Turner somehow forgets how to coach in bigger games and the closer we get to the Super Bowl the bigger the game. According to that the chargers can't win.

See it's all irrelevant. What matters is what the 53 men in Black and Gold and the 53 men in baby blue do on Sunday starting at 4:45pm. Fans can spew out any stats and all the history they want. What will matter is if the 11 men on the field can beat the living will out of the other 11 men.

And that's why I believe the Steelers can win. While the chargers have been playing playoff football for 5 weeks, they haven't played a schedule that says, "Battle tested!" The Steelers have and while the games have been close, I believe that the Steelers Defense will pound the chargers offense. And while I respect what the chargers defense has done lately, I just think that Ben will lead the offense and eventually wear out the chargers defense. I don't think the chargers can handle another game like they played last week and flying across the country after such a game - it makes me think they are a little weary - but then again, the Steelers did it in the '06 playoffs. But this group of chargers aren't the '06 playoff Steelers!

Chargers17
01-06-2009, 11:07 AM
You can bring up 94, you can bring up the 70's and 80's, and I'll definitely bring up the 5 Lombardi Trophies!!! And while historical facts are fun, there is one thing that many fans (and I myself drive down this road from time to time) fail to recognize - the past is just that the past and it will have no bearing on this game.

I mean really, if we look at the past here's what you get:
1) Tomlin is 0-1 in the playoffs, according to that the Steelers can't win on Sunday
2) Rivers notoriously finds himself out of the playoffs after having a huge game (like he did against the colts). So according to that he and the chargers can't win
3) Coach Norv Turner somehow forgets how to coach in bigger games and the closer we get to the Super Bowl the bigger the game. According to that the chargers can't win.

See it's all irrelevant. What matters is what the 53 men in Black and Gold and the 53 men in baby blue do on Sunday starting at 4:45pm. Fans can spew out any stats and all the history they want. What will matter is if the 11 men on the field can beat the living will out of the other 11 men.

And that's why I believe the Steelers can win. While the chargers have been playing playoff football for 5 weeks, they haven't played a schedule that says, "Battle tested!" The Steelers have and while the games have been close, I believe that the Steelers Defense will pound the chargers offense. And while I respect what the chargers defense has done lately, I just think that Ben will lead the offense and eventually wear out the chargers defense. I don't think the chargers can handle another game like they played last week and flying across the country after such a game - it makes me think they are a little weary - but then again, the Steelers did it in the '06 playoffs. But this group of chargers aren't the '06 playoff Steelers!\

ubelievable post! There ARE people on here in touch with reality! Nice thoughts!
While i do disagree with some of your assements, you are not making your prediction based on emotions but on solid takes. I would agree that our last five games with the exception of the Colts game were not much of an opponent. (Though i do think going to Tampa and them needing a win to get in, was a pretty decent win, considering its on the East Coast and we dropped 40 plus on them)
But what i WILL say, and I dont use this as an excuse, just on observation. We were 8-8, no question about that. But we werent an 8-8 team that would win one and then get blown out, we lost quite a few games on a last second play. Does that make us a great team? NO! But it does mean that we can play with anybody and that if a couple bounces go our way, we might be playing this round in SD. I do think the chargers will struggle with moving the ball on Sunday, but of anyone left in the playoffs, in anyone can go to Pitt and win, its SD.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
\

ubelievable post! There ARE people on here in touch with reality! Nice thoughts!
While i do disagree with some of your assements, you are not making your prediction based on emotions but on solid takes. I would agree that our last five games with the exception of the Colts game were not much of an opponent. (Though i do think going to Tampa and them needing a win to get in, was a pretty decent win, considering its on the East Coast and we dropped 40 plus on them)
But what i WILL say, and I dont use this as an excuse, just on observation. We were 8-8, no question about that. But we werent an 8-8 team that would win one and then get blown out, we lost quite a few games on a last second play. Does that make us a great team? NO! But it does mean that we can play with anybody and that if a couple bounces go our way, we might be playing this round in SD. I do think the chargers will struggle with moving the ball on Sunday, but of anyone left in the playoffs, in anyone can go to Pitt and win, its SD.

Don't know if we'd be playing in SD if the bolts got a few of those bounces or calls, but you're record would be more playoff worthy - so to speak! But I do agree that the chargers have the talent to play with any team in the league. The problem I've seen with them over the last couple of seasons is not being able to put it all together for a stretch run in to the playoffs. It seems they get one great game and then forget that the next game is 60 minutes too. Maybe this is the year to break that trend, but Mr. Tomlin also has some things he'd like to prove to and being 0-for in the playoffs is one of them, especially at home!

To be honest with you, any team left in the playoffs - not just SD - can win in Pittsburgh. But just like playing in a different stadium, it's difficult to do so!

baphamet
01-06-2009, 11:52 AM
nothing has to concern you, the steelers have it wrapped up already....the chargers don't stand a chance. :fro:

love these smiles you guys have here!

Binary Bolt Fan
01-06-2009, 12:08 PM
YI mean really, if we look at the past here's what you get:

These are the type of statements I don't get... Rivers has lost two playoff games. One of them was "one and done" against the Pats, so there was no "huge game" before the loss, in fact, it was a bye.

River finally failed with bad knee and no running game.

Then there's the Norv statement... He's 3-1 in the playoffs as a Chargers coach. With no Gates, no LT, and Rivers playing with a torn ACL, they gave the undefeated Pats all they could handle.

I enjoy arguing the facts. But c'mon guys. Don't make em up! Whether you like it or not, Norv has better playoff experience that Tomlin. What's that mean? Nothing really. But that's the facts.

Oh, BTW, last week Rivers had 0 TDs, 1 Int and just over 200 yards. Didn't even throw to Jackson. I wouldn't call that "HUGE", which is your contention that he fails after huge games. It was very substandard for him.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
These are the type of statements I don't get... Rivers has lost two playoff games. One of them was "one and done" against the Pats, so there was no "huge game" before the loss, in fact, it was a bye.

River finally failed with bad knee and no running game.

Then there's the Norv statement... He's 3-1 in the playoffs as a Chargers coach. With no Gates, no LT, and Rivers playing with a torn ACL, they gave the undefeated Pats all they could handle.

I enjoy arguing the facts. But c'mon guys. Don't make em up! Whether you like it or not, Norv has better playoff experience that Tomlin. What's that mean? Nothing really. But that's the facts.

Oh, BTW, last week Rivers had 0 TDs, 1 Int and just over 200 yards. Didn't even throw to Jackson. I wouldn't call that "HUGE", which is your contention that he fails after huge games. It was very substandard for him.

You obviously missed the point I was making. Fans of other teams bring up this stats, history, etc. on players and coaches and they don't mean squat.

Please read the post I responded to and then try to understand why I made those comments. It was to point out that those things are insignificant.

And by HUGE GAME I meant his opponent and the fact that he came out with a victory. What I should have said was that he won a HUGE GAME. And yes you are correct that the year they lost the patriots* they had the bye week - sorry I didn't provide enough information for you to wrap your head around it but I'm hoping that those reading it would have some level of comprehension about football.

At least chargers17 gets it, so if you don't get it after re-reading the his original post and my comments - ask him!

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 12:24 PM
nothing has to concern you, the steelers have it wrapped up already....the chargers don't stand a chance. :fro:

According to some in the media, the bolts are Tampa bound - baby! Of course last time the Steelers were overlooked in the playoffs - well, you know what happened!

sunbiz1
01-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Well hello there Baph!, fancy meeting you here.:yeehaw::yeehaw:

Chargers17
01-06-2009, 12:44 PM
I know this is embarasssing to say, but I'm actually glad to have N. turner coaching this team. People can talk all day about that he "brought this talented team down to 8-8" but a bad coached teams that dont come to play, get blown out, not lose by an unlucky bounce, or a turnover in the waning moments of the came. No way Marty would have been 3-1 in the past two years in the playoffs! People underestimate his coaching ability but look at the teams he has had a chance to coach in the past. With this team he lost to an undefeated Patriots team in the AFC CG with an injury ridden team on the road, and darn near pulled the upset, and in his second year he is one win away from being back in the AFC CG. (I know the Steelers will have someone to say about that, but you get my point. Look back at his years as a coodinator, he's won when he's had talent. People keep saying he doesnt run enough. He ran F. Gore into the pro bowl in SF, he ran E. Smith into the Hall of Fame, he ran a guy named T. Allen (Who?) into the pro bowl in DC, dude works with what he has. People were calling for his head mid-season when he wasnt giving LT carries, do you think he knew LT wasnt right? And guess what he did when LT became fully healthy? He gave TB and Denver all they could handle of LT. Yes, it would be an upset to pull off a win this Sunday, buy all i ever hear is N. Turner sucks. By that logic M. Shot-me-heimer should be working the high school sideline.

nickelbolt
01-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Can we all agree on this?:::::::

THE WINNER OF THIS GAME WILL GO TO THE SUPERBOWL

:noidea:

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I know this is embarasssing to say, but I'm actually glad to have N. turner coaching this team. People can talk all day about that he "brought this talented team down to 8-8" but a bad coached teams that dont come to play, get blown out, not lose by an unlucky bounce, or a turnover in the waning moments of the came. No way Marty would have been 3-1 in the past two years in the playoffs! People underestimate his coaching ability but look at the teams he has had a chance to coach in the past. With this team he lost to an undefeated Patriots team in the AFC CG with an injury ridden team on the road, and darn near pulled the upset, and in his second year he is one win away from being back in the AFC CG. (I know the Steelers will have someone to say about that, but you get my point. Look back at his years as a coodinator, he's won when he's had talent. People keep saying he doesnt run enough. He ran F. Gore into the pro bowl in SF, he ran E. Smith into the Hall of Fame, he ran a guy named T. Allen (Who?) into the pro bowl in DC, dude works with what he has. People were calling for his head mid-season when he wasnt giving LT carries, do you think he knew LT wasnt right? And guess what he did when LT became fully healthy? He gave TB and Denver all they could handle of LT. Yes, it would be an upset to pull off a win this Sunday, buy all i ever hear is N. Turner sucks. By that logic M. Shot-me-heimer should be working the high school sideline.

Great post with the exception of the Marty comment - he shouldn't be on any sideline unless he's carrying the chains!!!

But it kind of goes back to my post about all of that "stuff" will stay with him until he can move a team into the Super Bowl and win it.

Chargers17
01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Can we all agree on this?:::::::

THE WINNER OF THIS GAME WILL GO TO THE SUPERBOWL

:noidea:

I think some people in Tenn and Balt might have something to say about this. But from what ive seen so far in the NFC playoffs, I'm beginning to think the AFC will dominate in the big dance this year. If we played Philly or ATL or MIA or ARI this past weekend, we'd have dropped 50 on them.

Let me ask you Steeler fans: Do you see this matchup as "Whew, it was a fluke to beat the Colts, and we're stoked to not have to face P. Manning (the classy Manning)"
or do you look at it like "Wow, if they took down Indy, the Chargers are for real"

baphamet
01-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Well hello there Baph!, fancy meeting you here.:yeehaw::yeehaw:

whats up biz! :wave:

Chargers17
01-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Great post with the exception of the Marty comment - he shouldn't be on any sideline unless he's carrying the chains!!!

But it kind of goes back to my post about all of that "stuff" will stay with him until he can move a team into the Super Bowl and win it.

:rofl: at the Marty comment, but heres 10o big ones that says he gets a job real soon.

And youre right, Norv cant shake that stuff till he wins the big one.

Heres a question: In Steeler world, whats the sentiment toward B. Cowher. Is he still liked? It almost seems like they havent missed a beat with Tomlin.

BullockBlitz
01-06-2009, 12:57 PM
I think some people in Tenn and Balt might have something to say about this.

Ya everyone here is rooting for the Steelers. Sorry guys but the Chargers look like they are running on all cylinders! never thought I say this but

GO STEELERS :tt:

Chargers17
01-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for letting me into this Forum BTW, guys. Im a long time Charger fan, and i played in high school and college. Im now a Student Ministries Pastor is so-cal and try my best to still be an informed fan while keeping my priorities straight (God, Wife, Family, then football :thumbsup: )

People like to point out that the Chargers defense has stepped up, and they have. But to me the GLARING difference in the past five games is the O-line. I dont know if its health or scheme or both, but they have been dramically better in the run blocking department lately. Lt is well Lt, and Sproles is dangerous, but B. Sanders (man do i miss watching him) would have had a terrible season behind these guys the way they were playing. The first play of the colts game LT went outside (at like half speed) and gained 13. No way that happens 6 games ago.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Let me ask you Steeler fans: Do you see this matchup as "Whew, it was a fluke to beat the Colts, and we're stoked to not have to face P. Manning (the classy Manning)"
or do you look at it like "Wow, if they took down Indy, the Chargers are for real"

I don't think it was a fluke that they beat the colts. As I've mentioned, they've been red hot just as much as the colts were but because manning is a media darling they got very little play. The chargers have a talented group of players on both sides of the ball but it just seems that year in and year out they fail to put it together for a complete stretch through the playoffs and in to the Super Bowl.

I think any team that's in the playoffs are for real. Look at what the cardinals did to the falcons. It was the same that the chargers did to the peyton colts.

I believe that the chargers are better than their 8-8 record but ask yourself this question - which team is going to show up? The one that is 8-8 or the one that beat the colts?

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Ya everyone here is rooting for the Steelers. Sorry guys but the Chargers look like they are running on all cylinders! never thought I say this but

GO STEELERS :tt:

Doesn't matter - the Ratbirds are going to knock you out anyway. :coffee:

BullockBlitz
01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for letting me into this Forum BTW, guys.

Ya me too!! :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Heres a question: In Steeler world, whats the sentiment toward B. Cowher. Is he still liked? It almost seems like they havent missed a beat with Tomlin.

Bill Cowher is the adopted son of the Rooney's and he will remain as such until he returns to coach another team other than the Steelers and while some may still cheer for him, many (me included) will let him know he isn't liked so much anymore.

I think as Steelers fans we've been blessed with the fact that we haven't had a coaching carousel over the last 15 years. I mean the last 30 were only two coaches - Noll and Cowher.

Chargers17
01-06-2009, 01:18 PM
I believe that the chargers are better than their 8-8 record but ask yourself this question - which team is going to show up? The one that is 8-8 or the one that beat the colts?

I am not sure which team shows up. But i know this. The O-line is finally blocking. Does that mean they'll be able to stop Pitts' front 7. I dont know. But if they can, watch out. This game has all the makings of a great one. The #2 scoring offense vs. the #1 scoring defense. I always give the edge to the defense, but heres to hoping that im wrong! :drink:

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Bill Cowher is the adopted son of the Rooney's and he will remain as such until he returns to coach another team other than the Steelers and while some may still cheer for him, many (me included) will let him know he isn't liked so much anymore.

I think as Steelers fans we've been blessed with the fact that we haven't had a coaching carousel over the last 15 years. I mean the last 30 were only two coaches - Noll and Cowher.

Cowher is the kind of man that will force a square peg in to a circle hole (thats what she said). But what I am trying to say he was very stubborn with his formula of winning. I almost got the feeling like he wanted to win the superbowl for his own legacy, and the team was used a means to an end.For the longest time i thought the players loved cowher, but when tomlin came into office it seems that wasnt the case. I could recall ben roethlisberger being very hesitent to answer a question on his thought on Cowher in a interview;.

But ya I am with StlrTruck he has done a great job in his career, but Tomlin is our guy now.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 01:51 PM
I am not sure which team shows up. But i know this. The O-line is finally blocking. Does that mean they'll be able to stop Pitts' front 7. I dont know. But if they can, watch out. This game has all the makings of a great one. The #2 scoring offense vs. the #1 scoring defense. I always give the edge to the defense, but heres to hoping that im wrong! :drink:

Dude, I give you props for being able to talk football but your :troll: fans are really taking away credit from the rest of you.

Anyway, to be honest with you, I believe that Dickie LeBeau will be using a lot more game film from the last few games than he will from earlier in the season. The chargers are definitely a different team but I still think the Steelers can outlast them.

And here's to hoping you are right about the defense having the edge :drink:

Chargers17
01-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Dude, I give you props for being able to talk football but your :troll: fans are really taking away credit from the rest of you.

Anyway, to be honest with you, I believe that Dickie LeBeau will be using a lot more game film from the last few games than he will from earlier in the season. The chargers are definitely a different team but I still think the Steelers can outlast them.

And here's to hoping you are right about the defense having the edge :drink:

There are uninformed, unknowlegable football fans for every team. I'll overlook the ones on your forum if you overlook the ones coming here with some type of Charger or SD name. :wink02:

So tell me more about your defense, as i havent seen more than a couple of Pitt games all year. I know about the DPOY linebacker and anyone who isnt in a buble knows about #43, but what makes them so good. Is it pass rush? Secondary play? Run defense? I know for us big #76 in the middle pretty much sets the tone, and we are able to get away with average linebacking. M. Wilhelm on our team #57 ILB sucks. S. Cooper is playing well and we have some promisiing young talent, but have overall had a sup-par year from our inside linebackers. Is your D-line big and strong or small and quick?

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 02:17 PM
There are uninformed, unknowlegable football fans for every team. I'll overlook the ones on your forum if you overlook the ones coming here with some type of Charger or SD name. :wink02:

So tell me more about your defense, as i havent seen more than a couple of Pitt games all year. I know about the DPOY linebacker and anyone who isnt in a buble knows about #43, but what makes them so good. Is it pass rush? Secondary play? Run defense? I know for us big #76 in the middle pretty much sets the tone, and we are able to get away with average linebacking. M. Wilhelm on our team #57 ILB sucks. S. Cooper is playing well and we have some promisiing young talent, but have overall had a sup-par year from our inside linebackers. Is your D-line big and strong or small and quick?

I'll do my best to overlook the SD :troll:s coming into the forum but they seem to becoming in boatloads.

Anyway. Our defense - what makes them great:

1) Run Defense
2) A corner that can isolate a top WR by himself (Ike Taylor)
3) Pass Rush (barring any chokeholds by the O-lineman)
4) A defensive coordinator that can confuse the best QBs in the league

Our front 3 are a mixed combination. Big Snack - Casey Hampton can stuff the middle while the two ends can beat the best of them.

Our middle 4 are some of the best LBs in the league and even our second stringers could be starters on other teams.

Our DBs are also tops in the league. As previously mentioned, Ike Taylor can shut down a top WR. Troy Polamalu can either blitz you, read you for a pass deflection or INT, or blanket coverage helping the front 7 get a sack.

From what I can tell, our glaring weakness on defense is the cushion our safeties give up on the outside WRs. They give up a good 10 yards and this opens up the short passing game or they bite on the play action or pump fake and off the WRs go. It's a double edged sword - Live by the Blitz, Die by the Blitz!

The difference in this game isn't going to be the chargers ability to run - because I don't think they'll be able to do so. But instead, it will be their ability to pass in order to open up the run. The Steelers have shut down some pretty good tandums at RB this year. I also think the Steelers are suspect against the middle screen and delayed hand offs (see the dallas game with Choice)

Chargers17
01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
The difference in this game isn't going to be the chargers ability to run - because I don't think they'll be able to do so. But instead, it will be their ability to pass in order to open up the run. The Steelers have shut down some pretty good tandums at RB this year. I also think the Steelers are suspect against the middle screen and delayed hand offs (see the dallas game with Choice)

Wow, someone that actually knows that sometimes you have to pass to run. Amazing. Norv has been doing that in quite a few games, and people are all over his butt. I even heard LT say it in an interview. When people stack 8-9 in the box, you gotta make them pay in the passing game, or it'll be a long day.

And here's a gem for you non-informed fans out there: Guess what? Even a long, INCOMPLETE pass is effective to make the defense play honest. Sometimes that leads to a 3-and-out and sets up something later in the game. People keep asking why Norv runs LT into the middle of the line only to get trounced when everyone knows its coming, THEN THEY CHEER when Rivers hits V. Jackson deep off of a play fake to LT up the middle..lol Wonder how those plays would work if nobody bit on the fake? People amaze me.

thanks for all the 411 on your D. How the heck did i forget about C. Hampton. dude is a beast. Its been a long year i guess. I usually dont have to break down the denver and KC games, but this year has been rough..lol

I read in an article that you guys have had trouble with pass rush. Is that true over the course of the season? I know sometimes you give up a few sacks in the game, and the media starts saying the OLINE is horrible, when it may have just been a few blown blocks.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Wow, someone that actually knows that sometimes you have to pass to run. Amazing. Norv has been doing that in quite a few games, and people are all over his butt. I even heard LT say it in an interview. When people stack 8-9 in the box, you gotta make them pay in the passing game, or it'll be a long day.

And here's a gem for you non-informed fans out there: Guess what? Even a long, INCOMPLETE pass is effective to make the defense play honest. Sometimes that leads to a 3-and-out and sets up something later in the game. People keep asking why Norv runs LT into the middle of the line only to get trounced when everyone knows its coming, THEN THEY CHEER when Rivers hits V. Jackson deep off of a play fake to LT up the middle..lol Wonder how those plays would work if nobody bit on the fake? People amaze me.

thanks for all the 411 on your D. How the heck did i forget about C. Hampton. dude is a beast. Its been a long year i guess. I usually dont have to break down the denver and KC games, but this year has been rough..lol

I read in an article that you guys have had trouble with pass rush. Is that true over the course of the season? I know sometimes you give up a few sacks in the game, and the media starts saying the OLINE is horrible, when it may have just been a few blown blocks.

Here's the dilemma for coach Norv. If he tries to set up the run via the pass he's got to bank that the front 7 won't get to Rivers. If that happens early, it's going to happen often and then he'll have to adjust to max protect meaning Rivers won't have as many reads and the defense will still be up on the run. If he tries to establish the run to set up the pass, then he's hoping that LT or Sproles will be able to do some damage early against the #1 ranked defense against the run.

I think it will come down to Rivers actually being able to read the defense correctly which QBs across the league have said it's a very difficult thing to do especially with Troy back there playing his tricks.

As for our O-line, yes they've had problems with protection this year. But it seems that when we need it most they've been able to deliver. But you've got to be careful. Ben has a better rating after contact. Also, if the chargers get to him it opens the door for Leftwich to come in who has proven he can move the offense with efficiency against tough opponents.

Chargers17
01-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Here's the dilemma for coach Norv. If he tries to set up the run via the pass he's got to bank that the front 7 won't get to Rivers. If that happens early, it's going to happen often and then he'll have to adjust to max protect meaning Rivers won't have as many reads and the defense will still be up on the run. If he tries to establish the run to set up the pass, then he's hoping that LT or Sproles will be able to do some damage early against the #1 ranked defense against the run.

I think it will come down to Rivers actually being able to read the defense correctly which QBs across the league have said it's a very difficult thing to do especially with Troy back there playing his tricks.

As for our O-line, yes they've had problems with protection this year. But it seems that when we need it most they've been able to deliver. But you've got to be careful. Ben has a better rating after contact. Also, if the chargers get to him it opens the door for Leftwich to come in who has proven he can move the offense with efficiency against tough opponents.

You're right about the max protect. And what scares me about that, is that Sproles is NOT the blocker that LT is picking up the blitz. I'm sure you will see plenty of screens and maybe a reverse or two to slow down the blitz. I'd actually be surprised to not see quite a few draws and delayed handoffs in the first quarter to try to slow down the pass rush. Our O-Tackles did not look great against Indy, but who does against Thier two speed rushers, so it was hard to assess.

youve mentioned Ike Taylor. How is the corner on the other side? We have some really big recievers and lots of talent at WR, so maybe we can exploit the other side? If we went to a 3 or 4 WR set, do you have some good nickel and dime DBs?

the other thing i hope we can exploit is timing our calls right and catch #43 on a blitz or two. He is a beast against the run, bun if he is blitzing someone is open, hope Rivers can find out who in time. :drink:

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 03:02 PM
You're right about the max protect. And what scares me about that, is that Sproles is NOT the blocker that LT is picking up the blitz. I'm sure you will see plenty of screens and maybe a reverse or two to slow down the blitz. I'd actually be surprised to not see quite a few draws and delayed handoffs in the first quarter to try to slow down the pass rush. Our O-Tackles did not look great against Indy, but who does against Thier two speed rushers, so it was hard to assess.

youve mentioned Ike Taylor. How is the corner on the other side? We have some really big recievers and lots of talent at WR, so maybe we can exploit the other side? If we went to a 3 or 4 WR set, do you have some good nickel and dime DBs?

the other thing i hope we can exploit is timing our calls right and catch #43 on a blitz or two. He is a beast against the run, bun if he is blitzing someone is open, hope Rivers can find out who in time. :drink:

And if Sproles has to protect against Harrison or Woodley or Timmons - chances are he's going to get run over unless he just dives at their legs. Then Rivers will have approxiately 2 seconds to get rid of the ball as they jump over top of Sproles.

I don't think the reverse will be effective. We've got some pretty good disciplined players that stay at home for that type of stuff. It would be just as much a sack as anything else. The screen pass and delayed hand offs would be more effective in controlling the pass rush.

DeShea Townsend is our other CB and he's reliable (at least in my eyes), but a better veteran so he seems to know the game better and is able to make up for various mistakes he makes in coverage. As for Troy, he can make up ground quickly and isn't afraid to throw his body around to make plays. And just because Troy blitzes doesn't mean that someone is open, it could mean someone else is covering and that's usually where the INTs come in to play. QBs think that the WR is open but instead you've got a LB sliding back in to coverage who reads the QBs eyes and down the field they go with an INT.

As for the chargers, I think they're going to have another problem with the outside rush. We've got speed on the corners. And as we all know, SPEED KILLS! I also think the chargers are trying to compensate for their LBs and could very well be taken advantage of by the dink and dunk plays to our TE, RBs, and even the slants by Santonio Holmes. The decoy could very well be Hines Ward while everyone else has massive stats. That's another issue for the chargers - where is Hines Ward. He's a tough SOB and isn't afraid to lay the lumber on a defensive player.

Bolts+-
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Although I see a few good 'football' posts in here, I do see a lot of homers thinking that the Steelers are going to have an easy game. Please, I heard the same thing from Colts fans last week... oh, the Chargers are an 8-8 team, they're defense sucks, etc. Yes, your team did great this year and they have a strong defense, but your not playing the Browns or Bungles. I see this being a close game that will come down to a last second field goal... which the Chargers will hit for the game winner ;)
As has already been mentioned, the Chargers that you are playing this week are running on all cylinders. The Colts found that out last week. You will find out this week.

Here is to a great game...

The_WARDen
01-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Although I see a few good 'football' posts in here, I do see a lot of homers thinking that the Steelers are going to have an easy game. Please, I heard the same thing from Colts fans last week... oh, the Chargers are an 8-8 team, they're defense sucks, etc. Yes, your team did great this year and they have a strong defense, but your not playing the Browns or Bungles. I see this being a close game that will come down to a last second field goal... which the Chargers will hit for the game winner ;)
As has already been mentioned, the Chargers that you are playing this week are running on all cylinders. The Colts found that out last week. You will find out this week.

and your team isn't playing the Broncos, Chiefs or Raiders...
:coffee:

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM

I've seen my fair share of chargers :troll:s thinking the bolts are going to have an easy time with the Steelers. So exactly what did you think you were going to find on a Steelers board?

But I digress. I don't think anyone is under estimating the bolts at this point. The fact that they have been playing playoff football for 5 weeks now makes them a dangerous team. Their defense is their strong point and their offense while not hitting on all cylinders is definitely a threat. However, the Steelers still have the #1 ranked defense and are a beast of a different kind. Fans point at the refs about the last game but I hope that the refs stick to the major penalties and let these two teams go at it for 60 minutes. I'd hate to see the refs ruin a good game.

The problem for the chargers, from my perspective, is that they just played a very emotional game against the colts and an OT game at that. They also get to fly across country and play away from home where they are 3-5 on the year. If you think the game earlier was loud - you haven't seen playoff football in Pittsburgh!

I don't believe the game will be easy but what I see is the Steelers defense leading the way for Ben to manage the game and making Rivers life a living hell. chargers fans mention that this is not the same team we faced a few weeks ago but they want to ignore the fact that neither is this Steelers team.

Here's to a good game :drink: One that the Steelers win on a Polamalu INT for 6

Steelers - 24
bolts - 13

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-06-2009, 03:44 PM
How many games have we lost this year because Ben didn't play well?

Indianapolis is the only one that comes to mind. Philadelphia was due to the line, NY was due to an injured Greg Warren, and Tennessee was due to the entire team really.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Steelers 24
Chargers 7

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Indianapolis is the only one that comes to mind. Philadelphia was due to the line, NY was due to an injured Greg Warren, and Tennessee was due to the entire team really.

Agree with all except TN - Ben doesn't turn the ball over 4 times, we win that game by 10+.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Well, since we're giving predictions in this thread....

Steelers - 20

Chargers - 14

sunbiz1
01-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Ditto, I posted the same score yesterday on Chargers.com. I think the Bolts come up one turnover short of winning this game but cover the spread.

Well, since we're giving predictions in this thread....

Steelers - 20

Chargers - 14

Bolts+-
01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I've seen my fair share of chargers :troll:s thinking the bolts are going to have an easy time with the Steelers. So exactly what did you think you were going to find on a Steelers board?

Of course, every teams/forums have their share of homers but trust me when I tell you any Charger homer fan who thinks that the Chargers are going to "blow out" the Steelers has been given a 'what the hell u talking about' look. I do expect the fans for both teams to be confident. But when I see threads that talk about how the Steelers rather play Tits or BlueBirds (i.e looking ahead) makes me wonder.

But I digress. I don't think anyone is under estimating the bolts at this point. The fact that they have been playing playoff football for 5 weeks now makes them a dangerous team. Their defense is their strong point and their offense while not hitting on all cylinders is definitely a threat. However, the Steelers still have the #1 ranked defense and are a beast of a different kind. Fans point at the refs about the last game but I hope that the refs stick to the major penalties and let these two teams go at it for 60 minutes. I'd hate to see the refs ruin a good game.

The problem for the chargers, from my perspective, is that they just played a very emotional game against the colts and an OT game at that. They also get to fly across country and play away from home where they are 3-5 on the year. If you think the game earlier was loud - you haven't seen playoff football in Pittsburgh!

I don't believe the game will be easy but what I see is the Steelers defense leading the way for Ben to manage the game and making Rivers life a living hell. chargers fans mention that this is not the same team we faced a few weeks ago but they want to ignore the fact that neither is this Steelers team.

Here's to a good game :drink: One that the Steelers win on a Polamalu INT for 6

Steelers - 24
bolts - 13

All good points... except when it comes to the score. I don't see anyone winning by that big of a margin.
Also, in all the years that I've watched the Chargers, I've never seen a Charger team make such a turn around so late in the season. A lot of the Steeler fans are saying how even Miami beat SD. Yeah, its true but this wasn't a 1-15 team that made a miraculous turn around in year (talking about Miami). This is talented team that played in the AFC Championship game last year and was picked to play in SB by many. I can't explain why they start so bad but they always finish strong (13-0) in December the past 3 years.

No team, with the exception of the Colts, has improved in the 2nd half of the year more than the Chargers. The Steelers have been playing well all season. But as we all know, its how you are playing at the end of the season that matters most in the playoffs.

Vis
01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Steelers offense - 13
Chargers offense - 10

Steelers defense - 7
Chargers defense - 2 (after one of those amazing punts they get)

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Of course, every teams/forums have their share of homers but trust me when I tell you any Charger homer fan who thinks that the Chargers are going to "blow out" the Steelers has been given a 'what the hell u talking about' look. I do expect the fans for both teams to be confident. But when I see threads that talk about how the Steelers rather play Tits or BlueBirds (i.e looking ahead) makes me wonder.

All good points... except when it comes to the score. I don't see anyone winning by that big of a margin.
Also, in all the years that I've watched the Chargers, I've never seen a Charger team make such a turn around so late in the season. A lot of the Steeler fans are saying how even Miami beat SD. Yeah, its true but this wasn't a 1-15 team that made a miraculous turn around in year (talking about Miami). This is talented team that played in the AFC Championship game last year and was picked to play in SB by many. I can't explain why they start so bad but they always finish strong (13-0) in December the past 3 years.

No team, with the exception of the Colts, has improved in the 2nd half of the year more than the Chargers. The Steelers have been playing well all season. But as we all know, its how you are playing at the end of the season that matters most in the playoffs.

Are you telling me that you haven't looked ahead to next week and thought about "IF" we win, who would I rather face? I think it's part of being a fan. I mean not that you want to look past your current week's opponent but at the same time - given my choices type thing.

Nothing matters more than how you play in January. We've all seen teams that start off red hot and falter - the Steelers last year lost 4 of their last 5 and it showed in the playoffs. This year, the chargers started off cold and ended hot. The Steelers have also played hot all year, winning 6 of their last 7.

I think really you'll know what Steelers team is going to show up but the question remains, what chargers team will show up? The one that has been red hot the last few weeks or the one that started off so dismel. I'm sure the Steelers coaching staff and players are preparing for the one that is red hot and beat the colts. I guess that's the problem with having a team having two different seasons.

jasonhightower
01-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Sunday can not come soon enough. With the intensity of our defense I think they'll need to bring an ample supply of body bags for Sunday's show.

May peace be with you.

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Steelers offense - 13
Chargers offense - 10

Steelers defense - 7
Chargers defense - 2 (after one of those amazing punts they get)

nah, they only average 43.5 in pgh.

markymarc
01-07-2009, 07:14 AM
With the week off I believe the defense will come out firing on all cylinders. Ben will come back and show why he is such a great QB.

Steelers - 21
Bolts - 10