PDA

View Full Version : You can say Ben is the best, but you KNOW this is true.

Hapa
01-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Ben has been the variable this season. When he plays good, we win, when he makes a lot of mistakes, we sometimes win anyway, but we lose a lot.

Never does he play good and we lose.

Ben just needs to be average and not make mistakes! I honestly believed if he didn't commit so many turnovers, he would never need those amazing comebacks which he is so great at.

TackleMeBen
01-04-2009, 05:10 PM
i am pretty sure we all agree that we win or lose by ben. but is he the reason washington cant catch the ball when its thrown right on the numbers for him? so its not all on ben, alot of it yes, but not all.

Edman
01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Ben is the fine line seperating the Steelers from victory and defeat. Which makes the concussion and the extended time a question mark.

If he plays good and sharp, the Steelers are a nigh unbeatable machine. If he plays average, the Steelers still has a likely shot at winning. If he's horrible, well, the whole team goes south. We need Ben to be Jacksonville, New England and last-drive @Baltimore good. If he's any thing resembling the Ben we saw against Indy and Tennesee, we lose, plain and simple.

Of course, the O-Line plays a factor too. We just need them to be average.

BlackAndGold4Ever
01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Lets hope that he will be healthy and the be good Ben next week against the Chargers

steelpride12
01-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Been needs to play smart. Throw the ball short, rely on the OL and the run game to keep him out of trouble.
The Chargers are not a pass rush happy team so Ben def. will have time to play the smart football game and not cause any turnovers.

GodofGridiron
01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
This article by Greg Cosell (SportingNews) hits it right on the head when he talks about Ben and his tendencies (both good and bad)..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=steelersdefenseputsbigbe&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Points made:
The bottom line: The Steelers have allowed the fewest points in the NFL, less than 14 per game. The beneficiary of this dominant defense is Ben Roethlisberger, one of the most frustrating quarterbacks to evaluate on film. His inconsistency drives me crazy, particularly because his physical gifts are so special......

I really struggle with Roethlisberger’s maddening tendency to play sandlot football. After five years in the NFL, he still is not comfortable in the pocket. When the coverage dictates the throw before the snap, Roethlisberger can look very good, delivering with rhythm, timing and accuracy. When the throw is not evident right away, his predisposition is to rely purely on instincts, not a refined sense of reading progressions.

He struggles with blitz recognition before the snap. Every blitz, no matter how well disguised, has a pre-snap indicator, and Roethlisberger too often fails to identify those keys.

He often moves when he does not need to, when he’s not being pressured. He has a very quick clock in his head, with a penchant for hurrying himself and playing a little fast and undisciplined.

VTsteel
01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Bens Chances for success is greatly increased with good protection. If Ben feels comfortable in the pocket . . . we will be fine.

If Starks, Colon (et al.) are turnstiles . . . we have very slim chances of winning all three remaining games.

For me this is the largest variable.

Steeldude
01-04-2009, 08:32 PM
he needs to be a game manager.

Fire Haley
01-04-2009, 08:46 PM
He has a very quick clock in his head

Gee - I wonder why?

Bens is lucky to be alive and walking at this point behind his sieve of a line.

You can throw all that "tendencies" crap out the window when it's only after he survives the first wave of rushers does he have time to throw.

43Hitman
01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
he needs to be a game manager.

:thumbsup:

Edman
01-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Is it a coincidence Ben plays better when he doesn't have to think? Because when he does, he tends to ovethink things too much and gets skittish.

He runs the no-huddle offense like a master. And another reason why Bruce Arians is the most incompetant OC in the game. Instead of saving the no-huddle until the end of the game and forcing Ben to mount game winning drives, why not use it early to jump on teams with leads and get Ben in a rhythm, THEN slow the game down. No, we slow the game down first until we are forced to play quickly when the game is on the line.

MJ5150
01-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Ben just needs to be average and not make mistakes!

He needs to hang out with Trent Dilfer.

-Mike

markymarc
01-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Is it a coincidence Ben plays better when he doesn't have to think? Because when he does, he tends to ovethink things too much and gets skittish.

He runs the no-huddle offense like a master. And another reason why Bruce Arians is the most incompetant OC in the game. Instead of saving the no-huddle until the end of the game and forcing Ben to mount game winning drives, why not use it early to jump on teams with leads and get Ben in a rhythm, THEN slow the game down. No, we slow the game down first until we are forced to play quickly when the game is on the line.

That is a money post!

Phoenixus
01-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Ben has been the variable this season. When he plays good, we win, when he makes a lot of mistakes, we sometimes win anyway, but we lose a lot.

Never does he play good and we lose.

Ben just needs to be average and not make mistakes! I honestly believed if he didn't commit so many turnovers, he would never need those amazing comebacks which he is so great at.

Ben is quite frankly the best quarterback I've ever seen come through the Steelers. I've never seen anyone put up this kind of performances.

This year I've given a little slack because he's been playing hurt, but sometimes he can be a little inconsistent and he does play by instinct more often than not.

It's so hard to be down on Ben because his instincts are so good and he is tough and never gets frustrated. But they are right, he doesn't look at the IQ side of the game as well as he probably should.

He should probably attempt to improve that side of his game.

But i will never downgrade his abillity as a quarterback, because quite frankly he's still one of the best.