PDA

View Full Version : LT's injury may be more serious

mesaSteeler
01-04-2009, 07:43 PM
LT's injury may be more serious
ESPN.com news services
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3810100

SAN DIEGO -- LaDainian Tomlinson is perhaps hurt worse than the team is letting on, Darren Sproles is sore from all the running he did in a thrilling wild-card win, and the San Diego Chargers are worried about the weather and the Pittsburgh Steelers' defense.

Still the playoffs march on.

The Chargers finally jumped above .500 and earned a rematch against the Steelers by outlasting Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts 23-17 in overtime Saturday night.

Tomlinson didn't play after scoring on a 3-yard run in the second quarter. He looked uncomfortable standing on the sideline, appearing to have a hard time standing straight up.

Asked about his short-term health, Tomlinson said: "I'm worried about my health. I'm very concerned."

The Chargers continue to say Tomlinson has a strained groin. Reports surfaced Saturday that Tomlinson has a detached tendon.

"It's a strained groin. That's what our medical report is," Chargers coach Norv Turner said.

"I don't think it's any worse, but it isn't any better," Turner said. "They said he was pretty sore around that area, probably from compensating for the injury. It was obvious once he got going, to him and to us, that he would not be able to play the way he'd like to. At halftime they worked on him, tried to get him to where he could go in the second half. But it just wasn't going to happen."

A glum Tomlinson didn't clarify the nature of his injury after the win over the Colts.

"It's a medical issue," he said. "That's all I'll say about it. I'm not a doctor, and I'm not going to stand up here and act like one."

Asked if he was advised to have surgery, he said: "I can't answer that."

Is it realistic to think Tomlinson will get better in a week?

"To be honest with you, I don't know," Turner said. "That sounds like the questions I was asking about two hours ago, you know, how much better can he get? Is time the factor? If he didn't play this week, would it be better if we were fortunate enough to win, would it be better in two weeks, where it would give him a realistic chance to be at his best?

"It's not fair to him," Turner added. "He wanted to go. Anyone that questions his mental toughness, his physical toughness, his competitiveness from a year ago, he's one of the great competitors I've been around. We've got to make the right decision and I think L.T. wants to make the right decision, too, so that's why we'll evaluate as the week goes on."

The Chargers anticipate a cold, hard-hitting divisional-round game Sunday at Pittsburgh.

"That'll be a factor in how you play the game, and when you get in those games, obviously running the ball and playing defense are critical," Turner said.

It will be a rematch of a Steelers win at home Nov. 16. Not only was it the first 11-10 score in NFL history, but it was the first of three straight losses that appeared to all but doom the Chargers.

"We did a great job defensively back there," said Turner, whose team got into the playoffs after winning the AFC West at 8-8. "We gave up a lot of yards, but we had a great goal-line stand and we held them out. We had some missed opportunities on offense.

"As I said before the Indianapolis game, I believe we're a lot better team now than we were six weeks ago or eight weeks ago. So that's going to be a part of it. You're in the playoffs and you're playing a team that's got home-field advantage and is an outstanding team. We're going to have to be at our best."

The Chargers held the Steelers without a touchdown that day, although the officials errantly took away a last-second touchdown by safety Troy Polamalu.

The Chargers fell to 0-13 in regular-season games in Pittsburgh. However, they've won twice there in the playoffs, in a wild-card game in January 1983 and a shocking upset in the AFC Championship Game in January 1995, resulting in the only Super Bowl appearance in franchise history.

Sproles had 328 all-purpose yards against the Colts, including the winning 22-yard touchdown run in overtime.

"We've got him packed in ice back in the training room right now," Turner said jokingly. "We'll let him out on Friday.

"He was absolutely exhausted," Turner added. "If we gave him the ball one more time, he would have done anything he could to get in the end zone. He's an unbelievable guy and we'll get him a lot of rest this week."

They may need him again.

Tomlinson missed most of last season's AFC Championship Game with a sprained ligament in his left knee and stood on the sidelines huddled in a parka, wearing his helmet with a tinted visor. Some people criticized Tomlinson's toughness then, but the Chargers themselves had provided an optimistic update on his injury, announcing in the press box that Tomlinson had a "sore knee" and that he "can return."

Afterward, Tomlinson said: "It's obvious that I couldn't play. If I could have played, I would have been in there."

General manager A.J. Smith did not return calls seeking comment on Tomlinson's injury.

Turner said the Chargers would get Michael Bennett ready to play more. He was signed in November.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-04-2009, 07:45 PM
For those of you who were worried...its "LT"...not "LLT" who is injured. I'm okay.

carry on.

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Actually, LT has not been that major of a factor all year for us. So his injury is not as bad as last year, even though we also had Turner. Sproles has done remarkable, although in my opinion he should be used a bit less on offense.

However, Michael Bennet had better not be an afterthought to the Pittsburgh DC. He had four runs in the Indy game, but three of them for significant gains that helped sustain drives. It should also be noted that Philip Rivers has never worked with Bennet with significance until the past week. With a full week to prepare, Bennet should provide at least a threat to watch for to allow a vastly improved Rivers run a reenergized offense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2009, 08:15 PM
First, I am glad that LLT is OK. Second, I read that Tomlinson has a detached hip aductor, so really dont think he would be a factor anyways.

Finally, Michael Bennett is an afterthought, just as he was in Minnesota, Tampa and KC. The Steelers run Defense has seen much better RB's all season and Sproles is the only real threat on the ground. The real threat will be Gates, as there is no way Vinny Jackson gets anything on Ike Taylor. In fact, I would chalk up one big hit on a WR by Ryan Clark. The guy has been off for 3 weeks and is Jonesin' to get another fine.

devilsdancefloor
01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
For those of you who were worried...its "LT"...not "LLT" who is injured. I'm okay.

carry on.

*wipes brow* now that is good news! :tt03::tt03:

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 08:25 PM
no shit it's worse than thought.. it's not a sprain groin..

u don't come out and say the guy has a detached tendon w/o any evidence.. The man is effed til next yr

Dino 6 Rings
01-04-2009, 08:27 PM
What kills me is the "more serious" idea.

A detached tendon in the groin...I can't think of anything more serious than that.

I mentioned it my wife earlier and she said "ouch" that even hurts me to hear.

Torn Tendon in the Groin.

OUCH!

SteelersinCA
01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
You know what's crazy, Chargers fans act like LT isn't the guy that got them everywhere. Like Sproles can just come in and take up the slack for a real deal legitimate future HOFer. What a joke these SD fans are.

JackHammer
01-04-2009, 09:03 PM
However, Michael Bennet had better not be an afterthought to the Pittsburgh DC

I don't think you'll have to worry about that happening. If he runs well against us, it'll be because he earned it. Darkside Dick won't overlook anybody.

hindes204
01-04-2009, 09:05 PM
sproles has the ability to be an effective back...but not against the steelers, i dont see him gaining more than 55 yards on the ground

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-04-2009, 09:16 PM
The same goes for your defense. It has picked up throughout the season as well. Other than the fact I'd like to see the AFCC game go through Mission Valley (which can only happen with our victory along with Baltimore over Tenn), I realistically would have rather faced Tennessee than you guys.

JackHammer
01-04-2009, 09:20 PM
This is going to be a very difficult game for us, largely because there's a tendency to underestimate these guys. We're not going to be facing the same team we beat last time. They've figured out what they did wrong, fixed it, and they're clicking like a playoff team.
Sproles may be a relative nobody, but if you've seen his performances these last couple games you should realize that he's a threat. Don't think SD's running game is dead just 'cuz LT is benched.
/no room for trap games in the playoffs. :tt02:

IMO, I think their running game is dead because they're playing against our D, in our house. It has nothing to do with LT. We stop the run. Rivers and the Chargers D and ST are gonna have to win this game for them.

SteelersinCA
01-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I know this might be old news but I go back to Sproles in the Fiesta Bowl against OSU where he was supposed to dominate. I'm pretty sure they held him in check. I just can't see him as an every down back and Bennett is HAHA.

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-04-2009, 09:40 PM
IMO, I think their running game is dead because they're playing against our D, in our house. It has nothing to do with LT. We stop the run. Rivers and the Chargers D and ST are gonna have to win this game for them.

And of course the same has to be said about your offense. If Scifres keeps giving you a long field like we did against Indy, it's going to make for a long day for both offenses.

SteelersinCA
01-04-2009, 09:43 PM
And of course the same has to be said about your offense. If Scifres keeps giving you a long field like we did against Indy, it's going to make for a long day for both offenses.

What exactly is the same about that? It's in your house, you stop offenses? Come on.

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-04-2009, 09:56 PM
What exactly is the same about that? It's in your house, you stop offenses? Come on.

Simply put, your offense is rated 17th and 23rd on the pass and run (or vice versa), and is the 21st total offense in the league. Our defense has stepped it up a notch since our last meeting, notably on the DL but our receiver coverages have also improved. That's why I can at least identify a credible challenge in that fact.

If you stop the Chargers offense, you still have to convert on your own. That's all I'm saying. It MAY come down to special teams or turnovers, which of course can't be predicted with any degree of certainty. Indy had proven that our offense is not infallible, as we had two certain scores negated by turnovers.

VegasStlrFan
01-04-2009, 09:58 PM
To the point of this thread, I don't like seeing LT with a serious injury. I'm not a fan of many non Steelers, but LT is a class act.

SteelersinCA
01-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Simply put, your offense is rated 17th and 23rd on the pass and run (or vice versa), and is the 21st total offense in the league. Our defense has stepped it up a notch since our last meeting, notably on the DL but our receiver coverages have also improved. That's why I can at least identify a credible challenge in that fact.

If you stop the Chargers offense, you still have to convert on your own. That's all I'm saying. It MAY come down to special teams or turnovers, which of course can't be predicted with any degree of certainty. Indy had proven that our offense is not infallible, as we had two certain scores negated by turnovers.

I'm pretty sure we played much tougher teams and much tougher defenses. Could be an explanation for why our offense is ranked there. Ben gets the job done, he may not put up Manning or Rivers numbers, but he wins. You can score 50 all you want, if it doesn't result in a win, what good did it do?

SteelersinCA
01-04-2009, 10:00 PM
To the point of this thread, I don't like seeing LT with a serious injury. I'm not a fan of many non Steelers, but LT is a class act.

Agreed completely.

tony hipchest
01-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Actually, LT has not been that major of a factor all year for us. So his injury is not as bad as last year, even though we also had Turner. Sproles has done remarkable, although in my opinion he should be used a bit less on offense.

However, Michael Bennet had better not be an afterthought to the Pittsburgh DC. He had four runs in the Indy game, but three of them for significant gains that helped sustain drives. It should also be noted that Philip Rivers has never worked with Bennet with significance until the past week. With a full week to prepare, Bennet should provide at least a threat to watch for to allow a vastly improved Rivers run a reenergized offense.LT is done and its the chargers DC who better be worried about m. moore as opposed to the all time great, dick lebeau, losing sleep over a back who has been out of significant work for 3 years.

tony hipchest
01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
This is going to be a very difficult game for us, largely because there's a tendency to underestimate these guys. We're not going to be facing the same team we beat last time. They've figured out what they did wrong, fixed it, and they're clicking like a playoff team.
Sproles may be a relative nobody, but if you've seen his performances these last couple games you should realize that he's a threat. Don't think SD's running game is dead just 'cuz LT is benched.
/no room for trap games in the playoffs. :tt02:so all of a sudden, were not clicking like a playoff team? i think the steelers have had time to figure out what they have done wrong too.

it could be a difficult game, but in all reality we should smear them.

the chargers playoff tendency is to beat their first opponent and then screw the pooch in their following game.

im not gonna discount a close game, just like im not gonna discount the refs keeping them into it. i can admit the refs robbed them of a week 2 victory against the broncos, just as i am sure they can admit the refs absolutely murdered the steelers in our first match up.

anything can happen, but odds say that leads to a steelers victory at home.

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
i just hope that they don't push L.T. to play and make the injury worse

tony hipchest
01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
i just hope that they don't push L.T. to play and make the injury worsehis muscle tendon is shredded from the bone. it cant get no worse. and as we saw against the colts, it aint getting no better either.

realdeal
01-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Who cares? LT is finished! Sproles is more of a factor right now.

Boltz
01-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Trade LT, Im tired of him letting our team down in the Playoffs , last year, now this year , Beside we wont need him until the Raven's come to SD for the AFC Championship game, if at all.

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Trade LT, Im tired of him letting our team down in the Playoffs , last year, now this year , Beside we wont need him until the Raven's come to SD for the AFC Championship game, if at all.

Looks like the Raider trolls are masquerading again...

NO real Charger fan would ever diss LT. Just for the record. Imagine someone wanting to trade Franco because he was a step slower and you will know what I mean...

Boltz
01-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Lt has always been about Lt, we should have kept Turner. Stop living in the past and think about what is best for the team, besides we still have our passing game that they wont be able to contain, Chambers, jackson, osgood, floyd, and the better QB.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 12:28 AM

Told you, they're heeeeeerrrrreeeeeee......:blah:

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Are you talking to me DOLTZ? I'm not in the Navy, but I did proudly serve my country for 8 years. By the way, your intelligence continues to spew forth like the verbal diarrhea from Rivers' mouth. Have you ever heard of the Armed Forces Network, they tend to show big sporting events, you know like the NFL playoffs. Keep up the good work, representing your team proudly, window licker :applaudit:

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-05-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm pretty sure we played much tougher teams and much tougher defenses. Could be an explanation for why our offense is ranked there. Ben gets the job done, he may not put up Manning or Rivers numbers, but he wins. You can score 50 all you want, if it doesn't result in a win, what good did it do?

The fact that we were "handicapped" by being in a weak division still cannot hide the fact that our team went through two different phases. The first phase was Ted Cotrell's unmitigated disaster as DC that put us in the position of losing, and not being able to stop 4 final drives in the first 6 games.

While we had 8 losses, we lost by a cumulative total of 30 points, 36 if you want to throw in the stolen TD by the refs at Heinz at the end of the game (in which it can be considered a "garbage" TD, but I digress). Of those 30 points, a full 21 were scored IN THE LAST MINUTE OF THE GAME.

So it's not like we went into a stadium and were blown out by three touchdowns in our losses. Granted, WE should have been doing the "blowing out" in several cases, but I"m satisfied where we are at now.

Finally, I believe you are better than Tennessee; in fact I think you are as good as NY or us. I'm not really being overconfident, but I think if you looked at the quality of the WC games, the Bolts-Colts were head and shoulders above the other three games.

As far as LT's injury: I will be blunt, he's done for the year. I sincerely hope he doesn't play, and I would wager that he's not going to play and risk his career any more. I realize, though, that LT's a competitor and just can't STAND being on the sidelines at this time. But I think the Chargers have at least three or four more good years with a nucleus of salary-cap manageable talent.

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Again, "Boltz" is a troll, and no real Charger fan speaks for him. He's done this before. Do with what you will with him.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 12:55 AM
The fact that we were "handicapped" by being in a weak division still cannot hide the fact that our team went through two different phases. The first phase was Ted Cotrell's unmitigated disaster as DC that put us in the position of losing, and not being able to stop 4 final drives in the first 6 games.

While we had 8 losses, we lost by a cumulative total of 30 points, 36 if you want to throw in the stolen TD by the refs at Heinz at the end of the game (in which it can be considered a "garbage" TD, but I digress). Of those 30 points, a full 21 were scored IN THE LAST MINUTE OF THE GAME.

So it's not like we went into a stadium and were blown out by three touchdowns in our losses. Granted, WE should have been doing the "blowing out" in several cases, but I"m satisfied where we are at now.

Finally, I believe you are better than Tennessee; in fact I think you are as good as NY or us. I'm not really being overconfident, but I think if you looked at the quality of the WC games, the Bolts-Colts were head and shoulders above the other three games.

As far as LT's injury: I will be blunt, he's done for the year. I sincerely hope he doesn't play, and I would wager that he's not going to play and risk his career any more. I realize, though, that LT's a competitor and just can't STAND being on the sidelines at this time. But I think the Chargers have at least three or four more good years with a nucleus of salary-cap manageable talent.

You definitely did go through 2 phases, and with that type of insight I would suspect you can easily see why the Steeler's offense isn't as bad as the numbers indicate. You should be happy with where you are, you're in the divisional playoff.

I would only caution against putting too much stock in one WC playoff game. Just as I would caution Steelers fans about discounting your 8-8 regular season record. It really seems like the Chargers fans are flying a little too high after that win. Indeed it was a good win, but it will be interesting to see how the team does when it faces some adversity. I think the Steelers are the ones to test how much they have improved.

Galax Steeler
01-05-2009, 03:35 AM
I like LT and I like watching him run I think our focus will have to be on Sprolls if that cat gets out into the open field he is gone so hopefully we will be able to containg him.

markymarc
01-05-2009, 07:32 AM
That totally sucks for LT. He is a class act and has been a stud at the RB position. The only thing that concerns me with Sproles is in the return game.

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-05-2009, 10:46 AM
That totally sucks for LT. He is a class act and has been a stud at the RB position. The only thing that concerns me with Sproles is in the return game.

That is why Michael Bennett is going to be very important, and I'm sure the Steeler defensive staff are breaking out some old archive film of the guy. Bennett has what I call "smashmouth finesse", and with a good OL performance can give that ability to let Rivers operate a bit more freely in the cold.

I'm sure that John Mitchell will make the adjustments and plan for an absent LT. Your line is too damn good and this will definitely be a battle that I will enjoy watching.

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 05:34 PM
LT is done .

That's all folks.

L.T. won't play against Steelers on Sunday

SAN DIEGO - LaDainian Tomlinson will stay on the 53-man roster in the hope his strained groin is healthy enough to allow him to play if the Chargers advance to the AFC Championship or Super Bowl.

The star running back is not expected to play Sunday at Pittsburgh, but he is also not considered any worse than he was going into Saturday's victory over Indianapolis, in which he carried five times before being unable to go on.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28496668/

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 05:36 PM
That's all folks.

L.T. won't play against Steelers on Sunday

SAN DIEGO - LaDainian Tomlinson will stay on the 53-man roster in the hope his strained groin is healthy enough to allow him to play if the Chargers advance to the AFC Championship or Super Bowl.

The star running back is not expected to play Sunday at Pittsburgh, but he is also not considered any worse than he was going into Saturday's victory over Indianapolis, in which he carried five times before being unable to go on.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28496668/

This was expected.

At least now the Chargers can prepare without the distraction.

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 07:17 PM
And the Steelers can prepare their plan to stomp the squirt into the icy mud while Sproles is skating around in his ballerina slippers.

sdnunes
01-05-2009, 07:24 PM
There's a hyper awareness of Sproles right now. I'm guessing Norv will try to use that against agressive defenders who will go into the game with a "we won't let Sproles beat us" attitude, and hit them in the spaces left open...

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
There's a hyper awareness of Sproles right now. I'm guessing Norv will try to use that against agressive defenders who will go into the game with a "we won't let Sproles beat us" attitude, and hit them in the spaces left open...
i bet that will work real great next season in the afc west...

seriously, lebeau and the steelers will be aware of him, but will not focus the gameplan around him.

sdnunes
01-05-2009, 08:09 PM
seriously, lebeau and the steelers will be aware of him, but will not focus the gameplan around him.

The first time some guy lays out Sproles and then gets up and does the "incomplete" sign as if to say "not today," you'll know the Steelers were more than simply aware of him...

markymarc
01-06-2009, 06:26 AM
That is why Michael Bennett is going to be very important, and I'm sure the Steeler defensive staff are breaking out some old archive film of the guy. Bennett has what I call "smashmouth finesse", and with a good OL performance can give that ability to let Rivers operate a bit more freely in the cold.

I'm sure that John Mitchell will make the adjustments and plan for an absent LT. Your line is too damn good and this will definitely be a battle that I will enjoy watching.

You are definitely right about breaking out the old archive film on Bennett :chuckle: It will be a fun game to watch.

markymarc
01-06-2009, 06:27 AM
The first time some guy lays out Sproles and then gets up and does the "incomplete" sign as if to say "not today," you'll know the Steelers were more than simply aware of him...

LeBeau is aware of Sproles and I guarantee that he will have a different wrinkle for Rivers and the offense in this rematch. And yes Sproles will be hit hard and often on Sunday.

JackHammer
01-07-2009, 06:24 PM

I don't see what this has to do with what I said since I was responding to someone that said: Don't think SD's running game is dead just 'cuz LT is benched.

I was just saying why I thought the Chargers run game is dead this week. VERY RARELY do we let anyone have a good day running against us. The Steelers' offense is another conversation, considering this is a thread about LT.