View Full Version : BC threatens coach over Jets interview

nojobny
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Sources: BC threatens coach over Jets interview

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: January 4, 2009, 9:34 PM ET

Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski has been told he will be fired if he interviews for the head coaching vacancy with the New York Jets, which is scheduled for Monday, according to sources.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0104/ncf_i_jagodzinski01_200.jpg
Jeff Jagodzinski has been head coach at Boston College the past two seasons.

Despite the threat from athletic director Gene DeFilippo, Jagodzinski plans to do the interview with the Jets, the sources said. Those sources said that in the event Jagodzinski is fired, BC would promote offensive coordinator Steve Logan to head coach.

According to the sources, DeFilippo first told Jagodzinski on Saturday that he would fired if he interviewed and then reinforced the school's position Sunday. Jagodzinski declined to comment when reached by ESPN.

BC spokesman Chris Cameron told ESPN's Joe Schad the school would have no comment. But another BC source said Jagodzinski informed his coaching staff of the development this weekend after at least two discussions with DeFilippo.

The Jets did not have a reaction or confirm they are interested in Jagodzinski, but ESPN and other news outlets have reported his candidacy.

Jagodzinski, 45, has been head coach at Boston College the past two seasons, with the team finishing first in the ACC's Atlantic Division each year. In 2007 the Eagles went 11-3, including a victory over Michigan State in the Champs Sports Bowl. This past season, BC finished 9-5 after losing to Vanderbilt in the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl.

Prior to coming to BC, Jagodzinski had worked as an NFL assistant since 1999. He was tight ends coach for the Packers from 1999-2002, then served in the same role for the Falcons in 2003 and '04 before moving up to be Atlanta's offensive line coach in '05. He then went back to Green Bay as offensive coordinator for the 2006 season before BC came calling.

Before coming to the NFL, Jagodzinski served on college staffs since 1989 with East Carolina, LSU, Northern Illinois, and Wisconsin-Whitewater (his alma mater).

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=381018)

stillers4me
01-04-2009, 08:54 PM
And here I was expecting BC to be Bill Cowher. :chuckle:

Crushzilla
01-04-2009, 09:17 PM
If he's interviewing for pro jobs I have a feeling he wouldn't be unemployed for long.

I've been fired from a job for not buckling to an employers power move.

Strangely satisfying. Then again, I was only waiting tables :chuckle:

steelreserve
01-05-2009, 01:11 AM
I don't think he has much to worry about. Oh no, will he ever get a job as good as Boston College again? They literally went to the Gaylord Bowl.

SteelCurtain7
01-05-2009, 01:57 AM
For a minute there, I thought the coach was either threatened with death or a good, sound thrashing. :rofl:

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
i think that this situation could be a lawsuit in the waiting.. but what do i know

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 11:09 AM
It's about time contracts mean something.

If you're a coach and sign a contract you should work until it's done. These guys sign 5 year contracts and they tear it up and leave after a year or whenever they want.

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 01:50 PM
It's about time contracts mean something.

If you're a coach and sign a contract you should work until it's done. These guys sign 5 year contracts and they tear it up and leave after a year or whenever they want.

and that can be said from the other side...the teams sign these coaches to mult yr deals and then fire them half way thru the season or after 1 disappointing yr

RoethlisBURGHer
01-05-2009, 01:58 PM
In this type of atmosphere, contracts are moot.

People complain when a coach leaves for a better school or to go to the pros.

But everyone looks the other way when a coach is fired midway through his contract because the school thinks he's done a subpar job.

And if he gets fired, he won't have to wait long to find a job. I am sure another school would hire him to be their HC or a pro team would pick him up as a coordinator.

Not to mention BC would have to pay him the rest of his contract anyhow, so it's not like he'd be broke like me if I got fired.

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Fire the bitch....he's the one saying he's going looking for a new job.

It's not like teams are coming around asking him or the school.

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Fire the bitch....he's the one saying he's going looking for a new job.

It's not like teams are coming around asking him or the school.

i would beleive that the jets are the ones that are flying him in and setting evrything up

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
I kind of want to see an open tryout for a head coaching vacancy.

I want a walk-on head coach in the NFL.

I'm sure the Fords can be talked into it.

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 03:53 PM
The point is I have no problem with a COLLEGE saying you are ruining our recruiting year just by interviewing for another job.

COLLEGE'S recruit high school players who believe they will be playing for the coach that signs them for 4 YEARS.

Get rid of the bum if he's going to cost your school recruits.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm not one for holding back an employee's ability to progress his career. Its kind of a crappy move by BC to tell a guy not to take an interview or you are fired.

I hope he takes the interview and gets fired. Then he can collect his paycheck that BC owes him and either get an NFL job as a coordinator, or get another job in the NCAA and collect 2 paychecks.

Go J.G. !!! Stick it to the man!!!

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 06:07 PM
latest rumour is if he is fired russ grimm will be the new BC head coach.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Hey, I say when they fire him we take a look at him. He was Atlanta's O line coach back in 2004-05 when Warrick Dunn had a 1400 yard season and was a pupil of Alex Gibbs....the guru of the zone block.

He also was BC offensive coordinator when Matt Hasselbeck was the QB, Mike Cloud RB and Damian Woody OG. I think we can find a spot for him in February!!!

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Eh, they're all catholic kids anyway - let them go to Notre Dame.

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 07:24 PM
i think that if he does get fired he'll be able to find another job real quick

millwalldavey
01-05-2009, 07:40 PM
i think that if he does get fired he'll be able to find another job real quick

Ann Arbor anyone? Please? Seriously........ please?

jasonhightower
01-07-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm not one for holding back an employee's ability to progress his career. Its kind of a crappy move by BC to tell a guy not to take an interview or you are fired.

I hope he takes the interview and gets fired. Then he can collect his paycheck that BC owes him and either get an NFL job as a coordinator, or get another job in the NCAA and collect 2 paychecks.

Go J.G. !!! Stick it to the man!!!

I completely agree. The guy has an opportunity to advance his career and some frickin' jerk off wants to fire him because of it. Ridiculous. I hope he gets fired and the Offensive Coordinator they want to promote to HC actually leaves with him. Who they hell would want to go work for a place where you'll be expected to never look for a better position unless your contract expires. BC needs to join the rest of the NCAA Division 1 and just deal with it!