View Full Version : Curran: Offense will be downfall of Steelers, Titans

mesaSteeler
01-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Curran: Offense will be downfall of Steelers, Titans
AFC's top teams face opponents that can exploit their weaknesses
OPINION
By Tom E. Curran
updated 7:55 p.m. MT, Sun., Jan. 4, 2009

Pittsburgh, Nashville? I got a bad feeling. I don’t think your teams are going to be playing for a title.

No, this isn’t some “flavor of the week” thing. The Ravens and Chargers played and won this weekend, but we haven’t forgotten how good your teams are.

Pittsburgh and Tennessee are the AFC's best two teams by seed and regular-season performance. But the top-seeded Titans and second-seeded Steelers are staring at unkind matchups in the AFC Divisional playoffs.

Their postseason runs may end up being shorter than Sterling Sharpe’s eyebrows.

Start with the Chargers and Steelers. Might as well get this out of the way because — as Steelers fans have happily shown in the past — they have e-mail accounts and aren’t afraid to use 'em. They will spend the early part of this week abusing my Blackberry.

Recall that these teams met before this season. The Steelers couldn’t score a single touchdown against the Chargers during an 11-10 home win over San Diego back in November. The Steelers outgained San Diego by nearly 200 yards (410 to 218) and, while Ben Roethlisberger threw for 308 yards and no picks, Philip Rivers managed only 164 passing yards and threw two interceptions.

How, despite the statistical lopsidedness did this happen? Niggling little details. A pass interference put the Chargers at the Pittsburgh 3 and set up a touchdown. The Steelers got stopped four times inside the Chargers' 10 on their next drive.

That field position led to a strip-sack safety to make it 7-2 and the Steelers added a long field goal before the half to make it 7-5. Another Steelers field goal made it 8-7. The Chargers added a short field goal of their own, re-taking the lead. And then the Steelers put together a 13-play, gut-check drive at the end of the game to set Reed up for the game-winner with 15 seconds left.

What really hurt Pittsburgh that day was penalties. Thirteen for 115 yards. A hold wiped out a Willie Parker touchdown. Another at the game's beginning set up the Chargers' touchdown.

But those details are less important than this one: The Chargers are a much better team right now than they were in November.

They are more potent offensively. Rivers is playing far better (one pick in his final six regular season games, a cool, late-game dissection of Indy on Saturday night).

They can and will score on Pittsburgh’s potent, disruptive defense. I don’t think the Steelers can score enough against San Diego. The Colts managed just one “normal” touchdown Saturday night against San Diego. The other came thanks to Peyton Manning being smart enough to notice the Chargers weren’t paying attention and he threw a 62-yard touchdown.

The Chargers are playing good defense. And the Steelers' offense is struggling, at least against good teams. They managed three offensive touchdowns in 180 minutes against the Cowboys, Ravens and Titans before drubbing the already-on-vacation Browns, 31-0 in the season finale.

San Diego’s going to get to 21 points. Will the Steelers? I don’t think so.

Same problem for the Titans, but even more pronounced.

Baltimore’s defense has been, well, ravenous since Thanksgiving. The Ravens have allowed 64 points in their last six games, 24 in a win over the Cowboys. Of course, the Titans can play a little defense too. But this game isn’t going to come down to defense — both will show up. Rather, it comes down to which team has a greater capability to score.

When the Ravens lost to Tennessee 13-10 on October 5, the Titans managed just 14 first downs and 47 rushing yards. The Titans didn’t claim a lead until two minutes remained and that game-winning drive was extended by a roughing the passer call on a third-and-10 incompletion. Tennessee got fat rushing numbers running against the shoddy run defenses in the AFC South during the regular season.

That won’t be the case against Baltimore. It leaves Kerry Collins and his complement of so-so receivers to try and make a go of it against the Ed Reed-led Ravens secondary.

That's bad for business.

I’m well aware of the old saw that defense wins championships. But that only holds true if the offenses can score a little.

And I don’t think either the Steelers or Titans are going to score enough next weekend to get themselves to the doorstep of the Super Bowl.

(Ducking).

© 2009 NBC Sports.com Reprints

URL: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28497215/

GridironWarrior
01-04-2009, 10:06 PM
I've been saying this all season. This O and Arians keep them held back. And it's sad cause the D has had an excellent year.

lilyoder6
01-04-2009, 10:09 PM
but did this writer notice that L.T. is hurt badly and right there was most of there off production... sproles is not gonna be running against a shitty colts def

cubanstogie
01-04-2009, 10:20 PM
but did this writer notice that L.T. is hurt badly and right there was most of there off production... sproles is not gonna be running against a shitty colts def

This overweight writer wearing glasses, balding, and cotton pants has never heard the phrase "defense wins championships". If we have a bad day offensively we still have a shot at winning. If we have an average to good game offensively we win. I like our chances. No way Sproles runs on us, maybe a big play thats it. Rivers is going to have to have a huge game in the cold, on the road, and flying east in a hostile environment. I actually think we will run the ball well and silence a lot of people. Close until half time and we pull away. 31-20 Steelers.

realdeal
01-04-2009, 10:23 PM

LT has been a non-factor all year! If we lose it will be because of turnovers!

steelpride12
01-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Supporting the Steelers or not these reports have the same thing in common. There guessing and making a prediction everyone will comment on the next day in the paper. These guys get paid to bullcrap about a subject and get some drama going in the sports world. Think what they want i have my own opinion.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Curran picked the Bolts to win the Superbowl at the begining of the year.....can anyone say...desperation?

cubanstogie
01-04-2009, 10:26 PM
spread is Steelers -6, I thought it would be -3.

MJ5150
01-04-2009, 10:54 PM
I said it in another thread, but I don't agree that the Chargers are way better than they were when we beat them. Not better enough to beat us at home in the cold. Especially with LT out.

Sproles isn't going anywhere against our defense. Our LB's will crush him, and if they don't, Troy will.

-Mike

Edman
01-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Then why did the Steelers go 12-4, and the Chargers went 8-8?

After all, Offense is all that matters right?

Galax Steeler
01-05-2009, 03:45 AM
Just some sports writer looking for a dollar.:coffee:

LVSteelersfan
01-05-2009, 04:29 AM
He is an idiot. That is obvious. Chargers could win, but he talks like it is in the books. Steelers have a 12-4 record for a reason. Chargers were 8-8 for a reason. They are very inconsistent. They back doored into the playoffs by beating some very lousy teams at the end. They got lucky that Manning had a bad day and their defense could not stop a midget. Our defense will crush that midget because they stay in their gaps and cover each others' butts. Period. The game will be on Rivers and he will falter in the cold yet again.

JackHammer
01-05-2009, 05:17 AM
I wonder how Curran is gonna be covering his ass on Sunday night :noidea:

markymarc
01-05-2009, 07:56 AM
That is hilarious Curran actually thinks the Bolts are going to put up 21 points on the Steelers defense. The bye week is only going to help the Steelers defense. They are rested now and no doubt are going to play with a chip on their shoulder. Curran is right about 1 thing though, his blackberry is going to get flooded with emails from Steelers fans.

KeiselPower99
01-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Everybody in the media is drinking the Charger and Raven Kool Aid right now. Rivers and Flacco are in no way better qbs then Rotherlisberger and Sproles dosent scare me with our defense playing the way they have all season. Our offense will come alive and shut up all the haters this week.

fansince'76
01-05-2009, 08:38 AM
They can and will score on Pittsburgh’s potent, disruptive defense.

Been hearing this all year, but have yet to really see it. :coffee:

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Then why did the Steelers go 12-4, and the Chargers went 8-8?

After all, Offense is all that matters right?

:applaudit::hatsoff::applaudit:

As another poster so correctly stated - DEFENSE wins championships. If the Steelers can put 17 points on the board, which I believe they can and will, our D can (and will) hold the Chargers to 10 points or less. I'm THAT confident in our D.

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 08:42 AM
I wonder how Curran is gonna be covering his ass on Sunday night :noidea:

He'll be too busy trying to wipe that egg of his puss come Sunday night. :egg:

GodofGridiron
01-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Why do you all feel that San Diego will not be able to put up points ? Comments about Sproles and how he wont be able to run....

Listen........Im the biggest proponent of Steeler football and wish for the better outcome, but you have to understand whats at stake here. Sproles wont run between tackles for 120 yrds against this defense. He doesnt have to. Where Sproles can/will kill this defense is in the short passing game that Rivers will resort to. Again, folks.....Do you really believe that Rivers is gonna think he can have success with straight dropbacks goin vertical against this team ? Hell f'in no...............What you saw from them in the regular season is bound to change from what you see in the postseason offensively AND defensively.

Someone answer this for me: who on this Steeler defense can matchup with Sproles coming out of the backfield in the OPEN FIELD ? Who ? One name people. Its all about strategy and mismatches and this is the glaring mismatch in their favor. Sproles has speed that kills and one missed tackle in the open field and he can take it home.

Now, i dont necessarily agree with everything this writer says--21 pts is a lot. But 17 might be enough to give Norv a victory especially--ESPECIALLY if our offense and Ben struggles. All it takes is a Sproles broken tackle and run for 6. One huge turnover deep in our territory that they somehow convert to a touchdown and a field goal and theres 17. Not a reach. And lets be real here........San Diego knows the pressure of having their backs against the wall and theyve been fighting from a corner for the last 5 weeks. Overconfidence kills. We have to be prepared for anything, cuz we just might see everything.

The_WARDen
01-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Why do you all feel that San Diego will not be able to put up points ? Comments about Sproles and how he wont be able to run....

Listen........Im the biggest proponent of Steeler football and wish for the better outcome, but you have to understand whats at stake here. Sproles wont run between tackles for 120 yrds against this defense. He doesnt have to. Where Sproles can/will kill this defense is in the short passing game that Rivers will resort to. Again, folks.....Do you really believe that Rivers is gonna think he can have success with straight dropbacks goin vertical against this team ? Hell f'in no...............What you saw from them in the regular season is bound to change from what you see in the postseason offensively AND defensively.

Someone answer this for me: who on this Steeler defense can matchup with Sproles coming out of the backfield in the OPEN FIELD ? Who ? One name people. Its all about strategy and mismatches and this is the glaring mismatch in their favor. Sproles has speed that kills and one missed tackle in the open field and he can take it home.

Now, i dont necessarily agree with everything this writer says--21 pts is a lot. But 17 might be enough to give Norv a victory especially--ESPECIALLY if our offense and Ben struggles. All it takes is a Sproles broken tackle and run for 6. One huge turnover deep in our territory that they somehow convert to a touchdown and a field goal and theres 17. Not a reach. And lets be real here........San Diego knows the pressure of having their backs against the wall and theyve been fighting from a corner for the last 5 weeks. Overconfidence kills. We have to be prepared for anything, cuz we just might see everything.

obviously, you missed your daily dose of the kool-aid!

:flap:

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2009, 09:06 AM
yet there's no mention of baltimores 18. or tennessee's 21 ranked D's ???

eafratitpm3
01-05-2009, 09:11 AM

As most people on this forum will bash you to no end. I completely agree with you. As I stated in a different thread, I think that Special Teams will win/lose this game if it is close and our ST's, even though they have played pretty well (with the exception of the Punter) is not as good as San Diego's.

I'm a true Steeler's fan and no one gets more upset at this team then I but if we don't turn the ball over we will win this game going away!

GodofGridiron
01-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I feel SD is the toughest remaining opponent in these playoffs especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Tennessee we've proven we can contain.......Baltimore--Flacco wilts like an eastern fern in the Mojave desert sun when faced with pressure.

I guess the Kool-Aid ran out by the time i received my cup.........there wasnt any ice either. Damn !!!

fansince'76
01-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Yer right, we iz doomed! Run for the hills, ma! Sprolez iz-a-comin'! Might as well forfeit the game now!

Better?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 09:26 AM
The inability to convert short yardage might hurt us like the last game we played the Chargers, or we might review that film and find a way to convert and put some TD's on the board.

Nice article written to stir the pot. Not really stressing over what Tom Curran writes..............BTW, who is Tom Curran??

GodofGridiron
01-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Yer right, we iz doomed! Run for the hills, ma! Sprolez iz-a-comin'! Might as well forfeit the game now!

Better?

So thats how you interpret my post ? No middle ground with you is there.........?

I guess one cant be cautiously optimistic around here, or not take anything for granted. Wow........just fkin wow !!!

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 09:27 AM
I believe this game will be decided by turnovers. Whoever wins that battle will win the war.

Sproles had 2 TD's in the Bolts matchup with the Colts but coughed the ball up at the goal line and it was recovered by the Colts D. The key here is for the Steelers to consistently go after the ball, pressure the living hell out of Patty Cake, get Sproles and the Bolts wideouts to cough it up and drive down the field and score on every turnover, whether it's 3 or 7. Hit hard and often.

fansince'76
01-05-2009, 09:28 AM
So thats how you interpret my post ? No middle ground with you is there.........?

I guess one cant be cautiously optimistic around here, or not take anything for granted. Wow........just fkin wow !!!

Yeah, there's PLENTY of middle ground in this statement:

I guess the Kool-Aid ran out by the time i received my cup.........there wasnt any ice either. Damn !!!

IOW, since I think we'll win this game (sorry, but I do) I'm a Kool-Aid drinker? OK.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Why do I think the Chargers wont put up a lot of points on us?

Because we have the best defense in the NFL, that's why.

Also, it's not like the Chargers have a great defense this year. Penalties killed us the last game against SD. If we didn't have some of those stupid penalties we win that game by at least two touchdowns.

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 09:31 AM
I feel SD is the toughest remaining opponent in these playoffs especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Tennessee we've proven we can contain.......Baltimore--Flacco wilts like an eastern fern in the Mojave desert sun when faced with pressure.

I respect your opinion, GOG, but honestly - is there anything wrong with Steelers fans going into this game as I am - with a positive 'tude? :noidea: I don't think there is a Steelers fan on this board who doesn't realize that this game is not going to be a walk in the park, but is going to continue to believe in this team as I do.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I guess I just have the attitude that one game does not make an NFL career. Sure Sproles had a monster day against the Colts, sure he's been a great spell for LT, but he isn't a proven every down back. I think the combination of getting pounded by the hard hitting steelers D and the kickoff return duties will take a toll on him one way or another.

He has a big heart, but he is not a big bruising guy. There is a reason there aren't many 5'6" NFL RBs, and I don't think Sproles has the talent to prove me wrong.

Let me throw a name out there that I would liken to this situation, Derek Anderson. How'd that turn out for the Browns vs. the Steelers?:rofl:

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 10:03 AM
we have used timmons during the season to match up with back's and what not on 3rd situations.. so maybe we'll see more of tiimons out there covering sproles

ts888
01-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Tennessee we've proven we can contain.......

um, huh ????

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 10:13 AM
we have used timmons during the season to match up with back's and what not on 3rd situations.. so maybe we'll see more of tiimons out there covering sproles

I think our OLBs are fast enough to get out and cover the screen. All you have to do is be close and Rivers will throw it at your feet.

GodofGridiron
01-05-2009, 10:31 AM
I guess I just have the attitude that one game does not make an NFL career. Sure Sproles had a monster day against the Colts, sure he's been a great spell for LT, but he isn't a proven every down back. I think the combination of getting pounded by the hard hitting steelers D and the kickoff return duties will take a toll on him one way or another.

He has a big heart, but he is not a big bruising guy. There is a reason there aren't many 5'6" NFL RBs, and I don't think Sproles has the talent to prove me wrong.

Let me throw a name out there that I would liken to this situation, Derek Anderson. How'd that turn out for the Browns vs. the Steelers?:rofl:

Derek Anderson and a running back have little in common. A back relies on instinct mostly while a QB relies on reading defenses and recognizing coverages and deciding protection packages not to mention executing throws. Big difference there.

Have you watched many Charger highlights this year ? Have you seen any content from the first game vs Denver ? And......Sproles doesnt HAVE to bear the burden of toting the rock 25 times against us or running over us to hurt us. He is a big play threat coming out of the backfield with screen passes or as an outlet receiver. Give a player like that, space in which to work (he is a returner) and break one tackle and with his elusiveness and explosiveness he can hurt us. Im not being negative here, but just being somewhat concerned. Ive seen guys like Leon Washington, Reggie Bush and Westbrook take over games with three or four plays NOT RUNNING BETWEEN THE TACKLES. .

Indy is sitting at home today awaiting next season because they didnt match up well with Sproles. And they (Colts) did a spectacular job shutting out Jackson.

joeyssteelcurtain
01-05-2009, 10:36 AM
No way the bolts put up 21 on are D no way

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Derek Anderson and a running back have little in common. A back relies on instinct mostly while a QB relies on reading defenses and recognizing coverages and deciding protection packages not to mention executing throws. Big difference there.

Have you watched many Charger highlights this year ? Have you seen any content from the first game vs Denver ? And......Sproles doesnt HAVE to bear the burden of toting the rock 25 times against us or running over us to hurt us. He is a big play threat coming out of the backfield with screen passes or as an outlet receiver. Give a player like that, space in which to work (he is a returner) and break one tackle and with his elusiveness and explosiveness he can hurt us. Im not being negative here, but just being somewhat concerned. Ive seen guys like Leon Washington, Reggie Bush and Westbrook take over games with three or four plays NOT RUNNING BETWEEN THE TACKLES. .

Indy is sitting at home today awaiting next season because they didnt match up well with Sproles. And they (Colts) did a spectacular job shutting out Jackson.

Actually I have been to every Chargers game, I like NFL football what can I say?? I've thought the same thing all season long when I hear the fans get mad when LT was in, they all say bench LT, start Sproles. The one continuing thought I have had is, without LT Sproles doesn't get set up to be a change of pace.

Look I'm not saying the guy can't break a run or that he doesn't have talent. I don't think he's as good as the Chargers believe he is. I have every confidence in the world we will have a plan for him.

GodofGridiron
01-05-2009, 10:38 AM
um, huh ????

Ummm huh ?? That 31-14 score wasnt indicative of how well we played for 3.5 quarters and remember if not for the Lendale score and Griffin's 83-yd pick return of Ben it would only be a 3-pt deficit.

ts888
01-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Ummm huh ?? That 31-14 score wasnt indicative of how well we played for 3.5 quarters and remember if not for the Lendale score and Griffin's 83-yd pick return of Ben it would only be a 3-pt deficit.

maybe so but the plays still happened and the game was still a blowout. At the very least, there is no way we can say "we've PROVEN we can contain Ten". Do I think we can beat them in a rematch? hell yeah, but we have yet to prove anything versus Tenn.

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Why would the Chargers put up so many points against us? I think they manage about 17 tops, and I means TOPS.

Dizzle43
01-05-2009, 10:56 AM

I agree with you. I immediately thought of Timmons when the other poster asked who could match up with Sproles. I don't understand how this writer thinks the Chargers will score 21 points against us when they only put up 17 at home against the Colts. Turnovers would be the only feasible way. Let's hope Ben's experience in the playoffs helps to prevent turnovers.

ts888
01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Why would the Chargers put up so many points against us? I think they manage about 17 tops, and I means TOPS.

they are the #2 offense in the NFL. I know we all love our D (and rightfully so) but the Chargers will score some points. Ben and the O just have to get their act together and score at least 1 more :)

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
they are the #2 offense in the NFL. I know we all love our D (and rightfully so) but the Chargers will score some points. Ben and the O just have to get their act together and score at least 1 more :)

They are the #11 offense in the league.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2008&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

They are the #25 defense in the league.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

The Duke
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Derrick Ward, Steve Slaton, Kevin Faulk, and Brian Westbrook ( before he got injured) were all stopped in the passing game when they were "supposed to hurt us"

Why would sproles be any different? LeBeau knows what he is facing and he will stop it

Might as well add maurice drew to that list

steelreserve
01-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Why is everyone suddenly on the Ravens' knob so much? They're basically the same team as us, only with an even worse offense and a worse defense.

ts888
01-05-2009, 11:24 AM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2008&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

my mistake, the NFL stats thing defaulted to postseason when I looked.

stlrz fan
01-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Look who the cahargers put up all of this offense against in thr regular season. They played some real fish! And you knew that as soon as the Colts were eliminated the Ravens would become flavor of the week.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 12:48 PM

Yeah, I cant remember the ESPN analyst around week 6 that called the Chargers D coordinator T.E. Cottrell...................because there is no "D" in San-iego. :laughing:

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
that is true bout rivers.. if a def player is withing 5 feet of the player doing the screen rivers will throw it away.. but i still look to see more of timmons out there to cover sproles or even bennett

Jammer
01-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I agree with you. I immediately thought of Timmons when the other poster asked who could match up with Sproles. I don't understand how this writer thinks the Chargers will score 21 points against us when they only put up 17 at home against the Colts. Turnovers would be the only feasible way. Let's hope Ben's experience in the playoffs helps to prevent turnovers.

chargers could have score 31 easily on colts... sproles fumble at the end zone and int in endzone chargers moved the ball on the colts

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
chargers could have score 31 easily on colts... sproles fumble at the end zone and int in endzone chargers moved the ball on the colts

Would have, could have, should have.

If the Steelers played the same schedue as the Chargers, they would have been 14-2. Come on over to Heinz field with your montreal smoked meat and poutine and take the a$$ whoopin on sunday.

stlrtruck
01-05-2009, 02:11 PM

You do realize that fumbles and ints are part of the game right? I mean that is why the defense is out there. I mean really if you want to discount those then you should discount all the colts miscues.

Oh, wait, why would we do that? Your argument holds no water.

But again, it will be interesting to see what chargers fans think of next. :popcorn:

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 05:39 PM
The Chargers could have scored 31 against the Colts? At home? In favorable conditions? Really? COULD have?

Yikes.

I AM still scared of the Bolts. They have beaten Steelers teams that were better than them before in the playoffs.

Shoes
01-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Curran has been in the outhouse too long sniffing :poop:

missedgehead
01-05-2009, 06:46 PM
While I think that the STeelers should handle the Chargers, and I don't think Sproles will have the same success against us that he did against the Colts, and such, I am not surprised at the attacks on Curran here when the guy was a hero in the other thread when he wrote the article about a certain party possibly missing 2009 with his knee injury. I mean, make up your minds, is Curran a heel or a hero?

Edman
01-05-2009, 06:52 PM
-The Ravens won the '00 Super Bowl because their Defense was spectacular throughout the playoffs.
-The Giants won XLII because their Defense was spectacular throughout the playoffs as well as shutting down the most potent offense ever seen to 14 points in the big game.
-The Steelers won XL because the Defense was spectacular throughout the playoffs, shutting down Peyton Manning and Matt Hasselbeck.
-The Colts won XLI because their seive of a Run Defense became stout. It wasn't because of Peyton Manning, who was mostly pedestrian execept in the AFC Title game.
-We lost to Jacksonville twice last year including the playoffs because our winded down Defense couldn't stop them when it counted.
-The Ravens won 27-9 yesterday despite Flacco playing like crap.

We just need the Steelers Defense to show up big time in the playoffs, and we have a shot at beating anybody. We don't need Ben to play Superman like last year. Just manage the game and don't make dumb mistakes.

This playoff run is all on Ben and the Defense. We need both to do great.

markymarc
01-06-2009, 06:07 AM
This playoff run is all on Ben and the Defense. We need both to do great.

That will be the key to our success in the playoffs beginning on Sunday. I have no doubt Ben and the defense will be up to the task.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Again, good luck to the Chargers in their quest to hang 21 on us.

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I mean, make up your minds, is Curran a heel or a hero?you spend more time commenting on the people who post here like one large collective group as if they share a single brain, than you do actually talking about football. :coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 09:42 AM
I think the one thing the author misses here is that the Steelers losses all have come against teams that play a 4-3. My hypothesis is because most notably, Stapleton is better at getting to LB's than taking on a 300lb DT.

The Chargers play a 3-4 and Stapleton will be called upon to either double on Williams, then scrape to the 2nd level LB's, or go straight to the 2nd level. The Steelers need to look at the Miami-Baltimore game for a nice inside trap play that the Dolphins ran to Patrick Cobbs against a 3-4.....it hit right over the RG and would work 2-3 times against the Chargers to keep them guessing.

The "bubble" is over the guards in a 3-4 and their D linemen pinch down on those gaps with straight leads, but Arians has this neat double pull, where he pulls both Kemo and Miller from the left to the right that can be productive. Bottom line, I think we run better against a 3-4 alignment....especially with McHugh.

Dino 6 Rings
01-06-2009, 09:50 AM
How do I get ratings and visits to my website or get people to read my article?

I know...I'll say the Steelers can't do something. We all know that the Steelers fans will flood my site with visits and I'll look awesome in the eyes of my boss.

:coffee:

bigmaq
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
1) While this offense may not be the Brady-led Pats or Manning-led Colts, it is far superior to the Dilfer-led SB Ravens and Johnson-led SB Bucks and at least the equal of the Rivers-led Chargers.
2) When you add the Steelers D vs the Chargers D and home field advantage, we should win this one.
3) Barring penalties, the Steelers dominated the Chargers in the last go around.
4) The law of averages tells us that Kharma is not likely to similarly benefit the Chargers again at Heinz Field or as it did them against the Colts last week.
5) Dino - provides the most insight behind Curran's article - he just wants to gain some eyeballs - as journalists will tell you "if it bleeds, it reads - otherwise write about the Steelers or Cowboys". Since the Cowboys are done there will be more of same from the press about the Steelers.