PDA

View Full Version : Not looking past San Diego but ..

mesaSteeler
01-05-2009, 05:55 AM
Not looking past San Diego but ..
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/04/sports/steelers/doc49619381963a5260315518.txt

By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Sunday, January 4, 2009 11:58 PM EST

PITTSBURGH ó Now that Wild Card Weekend is in the books, next up in the AFC is Rematch Weekend. And what a blockbuster pair of playoff games there will be.

Baltimore (12-5) vs. Tennessee (13-3) on Saturday.

San Diego (9-8) vs. Pittsburgh (12-4) on Sunday.

It doesnít get much better than that.

Both of those divisional round games are play-it-again affairs with a trip to the AFC Championship Game at stake.

In Week 5, the Titans scored a touchdown with less than two minutes to go for a 13-10 road rally over the Ravens.

In Week 11, the Steelers rallied past the Chargers in the last minute of play. Jeff Reedís chip-shot field goal with 11 seconds left gave the Steelers the victory in the only 11-10 score in NFL history.

This weekend in the rematches, it could be more of the same.

In Nashville, the top-seeded Titans may have a slight home-field advantage. Theyíre also expected to get back injured defensive linemen Albert Haynesworth and Kyle Vanden Bosch. But you have to wonder how Tennessee quarterback Kerry Collins feels about facing the vaunted Ravens in a postseason game.

The Ravens sure looked impressive Sunday in dismantling Miami, 27-9.

And donít forget about Super Bowl XXXV when the Ravens routed the New York Giants, 34-7. Playing QB for the Big Blue at the time was Collins, who served up four interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown.

So donít be surprised if the Ravens shock the Titans and play the Steelers at Heinz Field on Jan. 18 for the right to go to the Super Bowl.

With five straight wins including Saturdayís 23-17 overtime win over Indianapolis, the Chargers are one of the hottest teams in the league. Still, the Steelers have the NFLís top-ranked defense.

You might remember in that wild 1-point win on Nov. 16, the Steelers out-gained the Bolts, 410-to-213. Philip Rivers, who led the NFL this year with a 105.5 passer rating, posted a season-low 44.4 against the Steelers.

The Chargers are playing with so much confidence right now. And who knows how Ben Roethlisberger will bounce back after suffering a concussion last week. But all in all, the Steelers are the better team.

I expect the Steelers to play in the AFC Championship Game Ö at home against the Ravens in yet another rematch.

markymarc
01-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Bolts first and then worry about the next game.

BlastFurnace
01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Every time we play the Chargers, I think of 1994-5. This time, I want "Football Postseason Payback".

Chargers first and foremost. I don't care about our next opponent yet.

SteelerFanInCA
01-05-2009, 09:55 AM
One game at a time please.

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 09:56 AM
we need to murder this team.. show that our off can play some ball

Jammer
01-05-2009, 10:00 AM
hi all chargers fans here...

hope to a competitive game

chargers 2-0 in Pittsburgh in playoff :)

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 10:20 AM
hi all chargers fans here...

hope to a competitive game

chargers 2-0 in Pittsburgh in playoff :)

We don't worry about the past - only about the present.

That 2-0 is about to become 2-1. You read it here first. :tt02:

stlrtruck
01-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Damn media types just wanting to sell more papers with this fantasy living.

This week - the bolts! I'll worry about those 53 men wearing a lightning bolt on their helmet today, tomorrow, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun!