PDA

View Full Version : Officiating Crew for Sundays game?

TailgateMel
01-05-2009, 08:39 AM
I know during the Chargers/Colts game, they mentioned the crew that was working that was the most flag-happy crew in the NFL... considering we had 13 penalties las time vs. San Diego (and they had 2)... that a real big difference in our game vs. them last time.

Calls that affected the game:

- Pass INT call led to them getting to the 3 & their (only) TD by LT in 1st qtr.
- That fair catch interference call on Anothy Smith because their punt returner barely waved (was questionable if he got the wave over his head)
- Two false start penalties on a drive in the 3rd quarter that stifled the drive
- Touchdown called back due to McHugh offensive holding in 4th qtr (we got the go ahead field goal then)
- DUMB DUMB DUMB callback on the TD by Polamalu at the end of the game.

We DOMINATED the game statistically:
Steelers vs. Chargers:
Total Yards: 410 - 218
Time of Possession: 36:31 - 23:29
Turnovers: 0-2

Ben 31/41 308 yards 0 INT
Rivers 15/26 164 yards 2 INT

PENALTIES:
Steelers: 13 for 115 yards
Chargers: 2 for 5 yards

The_WARDen
01-05-2009, 08:58 AM
I already blame Sunday on the refs!

:mad:

eafratitpm3
01-05-2009, 09:00 AM
I didn't see any officials throwing INTs or fumbling the ball this year. Again witht he Refs, another horse that has been beat to death. NO TURNOVERS = WINS!

TailgateMel
01-05-2009, 09:17 AM
I wasn't blaming anything on the refs, specifically.. (with the exception of the blown call on the last play)

What I meant was more asking if anyone knew if we were going to have the "super tight" crew that was with the colts/chargers.

The # of penalties we had helped the previous Steelers/Chargers game be much closer than it should have been. So why shouldn't the number of penalties be brought up in regard to this game, it is a serious concern! Something the Steelers need to work on and be aware of.

We had 13.. they had TWO! Nowhere in my post did I state Refs were to blame for that big of a disparity? I wasn't denying the penalties happened... hopefully we won't MAKE that many penalties & not having a "super tight" crew certainly wouldnt hurt.

We won the turnover battle last time 2-0 and still only won the game by 1 point!

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I don't think we will know who the officiating crew will be for Sunday's game until at least Saturday, Mel.

As much as I used to love Ed Hochuli, he's been a blundering fool this season. :doh:

eafratitpm3
01-05-2009, 09:20 AM
I wasn't blaming anything on the refs, specifically.. (with the exception of the blown call on the last play)

What I meant was more asking if anyone knew if we were going to have the "super tight" crew that was with the colts/chargers.

The # of penalties we had helped the previous Steelers/Chargers game be much closer than it should have been. So why shouldn't the number of penalties be brought up in regard to this game, it is a serious concern! Something the Steelers need to work on and be aware of.

We had 13.. they had TWO! Nowhere in my post did I state Refs were to blame for that big of a disparity? I wasn't denying the penalties happened... hopefully we won't MAKE that many penalties & not having a "super tight" crew certainly wouldnt hurt.

We won the turnover battle last time 2-0 and still only won the game by 1 point!

I hope you didn't think I was trying to bash your post. The Refs thing really hits a nerve because no matter how many penalties we get called for the turnivers are what really kills this team. If our D was just average we wouldn't be having this discussion because we would be at home watching the playoffs.

GodofGridiron
01-05-2009, 09:22 AM
I don't think we will know who the officiating crew will be for Sunday's game until at least Saturday, Mel.

As much as I used to love Ed Hochuli, he's been a blundering fool this season. :doh:

Wanna see the Chargers freak out ? Announce Ed Hochuli as the ref for this game. I bet they (Chargers) wont show up.

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Wanna see the Chargers freak out ? Announce Ed Hochuli as the ref for this game. I bet they (Chargers) wont show up.

I think you may be right there, GOG! :chuckle:

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 09:57 AM
that would be a funny sight to see... but i doubt that the nfl would put ed in this game

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 10:26 AM
I was surprised he was officiating the other game, but if he's scored well enough to make it to the playoffs, then I doubt the NFL will care if he has to ref a Chargers game. Oh that would be so funny. I can see the low lying areas of SD flooding with tears already!!

joeyssteelcurtain
01-05-2009, 10:33 AM
As a steelers fan i always think the refs are out to get us

The Duke
01-05-2009, 10:55 AM
As a steelers fan i always think the refs are out to get us

I wouldn't go that far

But that chargers game in november was definitely fishy....

ts888
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
if Ed were to ref this game, I sure hope he doesn't feel like he "owes" the Chargers one.

stlrtruck
01-05-2009, 11:33 AM
I refuse to blame any official for the outcome of the game. Great teams overcome adversity including the refs. The Steelers did it in the '06 playoffs and the chargers did it this year.

The best way to get past the refs is to score points, enough to give yourself a 4 TD lead at all times. Then you won't have to worry about putting yourself in a situation that a bad call can affect the outcome of the game.

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I concur that good teams overcome biased officiating.

HOWEVER...watch the last (game winning) drive the Chargers staged against the Colts. 3 KEY penalties kept that drive alive. 2 of the 3 calls were defensive holding, a call that LITERALLY could be flagged on just about every play. The 3rd and 8 play at the 40 is the most suspect and disturbing. It kept the drive going.

BlastFurnace
01-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Anybody but Ron Winter or Jeff Triplett.

BozMan
01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
The LACK of calls are critical too. As has been well documented, opposing offenses put Harrison in a choke hold seemingly every play and get away with it.

Steelers & I
01-06-2009, 01:05 AM

I believe that Ed Hochuli's crew will probably be assigned to the Chargers/Steelers game. Ed will be alright this weekend, I promise.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/bkakers/referee.jpg

SteelCityKing
01-06-2009, 01:15 AM
I believe that Ed Hochuli's crew will probably be assigned to the Chargers/Steelers game. Ed will be alright this weekend, I promise.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/bkakers/referee.jpg

man, if more refs wore that outfit...they'd get plowed over more often than not on the field. haha!

he looks like the Bumble Bee Guy from The Simpsons! haha!

markymarc
01-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Anybody but Ron Winter or Jeff Triplett.

No doubt. I would hate to see them 2 on Sunday. Actually I would love to get Mike Carey. I think he is the best official out there.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 08:38 AM
I concur that good teams overcome biased officiating.

HOWEVER...watch the last (game winning) drive the Chargers staged against the Colts. 3 KEY penalties kept that drive alive. 2 of the 3 calls were defensive holding, a call that LITERALLY could be flagged on just about every play. The 3rd and 8 play at the 40 is the most suspect and disturbing. It kept the drive going.

I'll admit the calls were questionable but again with such a high powered offense on the other side, it shouldn't have mattered.

Obviously certain refs don't understand the rules of the game or have an interest in the outcome and what we see, they don't and vice versa.

I would just as much come out slinging and get a big league and not have to worry about some bogus calls late in the 4th.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Yes, the best way to overcome horrendous officiating is to post an insurmountable lead.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Yes, the best way to overcome horrendous officiating is to post an insurmountable lead.

And usually right after doing that, you allow the defense to suck the living will out of the other offense!!!!!

The_WARDen
01-06-2009, 10:41 AM

well, if that's all it takes...

:tt02:

TailgateMel
01-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Saw this on another board:

# Referee: 42 - Jeff Triplette
# Umpire: 5 - Jim Quirk
# Head Linesman: 22 - Steve Stelljes
# Line Judge: 45 - Jeff Seeman
# Field Judge: 11 - Duke Carroll
# Side Judge: 78 - Greg Meyer
# Back Judge: 12 - Greg Steed

http://www.football-refs.com/nfl-referees-by-season/2008-crews/playoffssuper-bowl/

TailgateMel
01-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Jeff Triplette was the head ref for us:
Week 17 vs. Browns
We had 8 penalties for 65 yards (3X we were called for O-holding)
Browns had 6 penalties for 47 yards (2X they were called for O-Holding)

Jeff Triplette was the head ref for the Chargers:
Week 7 @ Buffalo (that was the game where the power was out)
Chargers had 5 penalties for 35 yards (1X they were called for O-Holding)
Buffalo had 5 penalties for 35 yards (2X they were called for O-Holding)