PDA

View Full Version : Will Ben be playing this weekend?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Interesting conversation on NFL Network last night by Mariucci and Deion. Mooch was asked if Ben struggles in the game, post concussion, how long do you wait to make a change to Byron Leftwich.

Mariucci then eluded to the fact that the Steelers have been very quiet about Ben's concussion and they were not even sure if he will be the starter. I thought that was strange, but cant find much news about his injury. Mariucci then went on to say that based on his experience with Steve Young and his concussions, you dont start Ben if he has headaches or seems mentally unclear....and if he is medically cleared to play, you keep and eye on him to make a change to Leftwich if he faulters.

Has anybody heard anything lately on Ben's condition?? The NFL Network crew seemed to not have any recent info.

The_WARDen
01-05-2009, 10:58 AM
If I'm the Steelers, I make it a "game time decision" just to keep the Dolts guessing...

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
I would greatly appreciate info on Ben, I don't get much out here in Dolt land.

X-Terminator
01-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Mum's been the word ever since he got out of the hospital. All we know is that he's had "a battery of tests" according to MT, but we don't know anything about the results, if/when he plans to practice, anything. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but if he doesn't practice today or tomorrow, then something's up.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 11:29 AM
That's what I'm thinking too. Here's to hope.

eafratitpm3
01-05-2009, 11:44 AM
As I stated before, I don't see any considerable drop off in the offense this year if either Ben or Byron starts so I think they should think long term.

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 11:48 AM
If anything I think that hit might have cleared some cobwebs from Ben's already damaged brain.

It's just a bump on the head - he'll be fine.

...and that was Rich Eisen that couldn't wait to bring up Ben's wreck as evidence that we should worry about his head.

They made it sound like he should be retired.

Smack Rich and Mooch both in the face with a bag of nickles, I say.

SteelersGirlTN7
01-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm watching PTI and Sports Center ... and they did a clip of a Ben interview.

He said he had just passed a concussion test, and he wants to play this weekend, and thinks the only way he won't play is if Coach says no.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm watching PTI and Sports Center ... and they did a clip of a Ben interview.

He said he had just passed a concussion test, and he wants to play this weekend, and thinks the only way he won't play is if Coach says no.

That explains why things were quiet all last week. He JUST passed the concussion tests, which means last friday he probably still wasnt all together from a neurological perspective.

He WILL play, but I think Coach T will have a quick hook out if things go bad early.

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 07:49 PM
That explains why things were quiet all last week. He JUST passed the concussion tests, which means last friday he probably still wasnt all together from a neurological perspective..

Or he has been taking tests all week and has passed them ALL, including the latest and the team doctors are happy where he was with the baseline tests and he was just getting some extra rest since they didn't practice for real until today.

You're worse than Rich Eisen.

The medical staff has cleared him to practice and play, and that's all that really matters and all anyone needs to hear.

I just watched Hines say he's good as new.

Go Ben!

Pentheon
01-06-2009, 12:24 AM
They said he will be practicing this week and starting for the game against the chargers.

he passed the final concussion test or whatever

Boltheads
01-06-2009, 12:36 AM
I think he will start....but, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leftwich in the second half.

Preacher
01-06-2009, 12:46 AM
If we are up by a couple touchdowns, then I see Byron coming in. . . or if there is some SERIOUS problems, I see Byron coming in. outside of those two, I doubt Ben would be in.

24seven
01-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Knowing Ben's past.. He's gonna tell everyone he's fine regardless of how he ACTUALLY feels. This is the side of Ben I'm disliking up to this point.. I hope he can make the right TEAM decision weather to play or not. He's decided poorly that he was fine and dandy to play in the past after an injury and he clearly was not supposed to be on the field. For the love of God PLEASE BEN!! Don't let ego make this decision. If Ben tells coach he's fine .. coach is gonna play him.. I think he in some ways has steered the boat even Cowers last year. Lets hope Tomlinson can see the truth if he's not up to the challenge.. Either way it's gonna be a sweet ass game .. Can't get much closer of a game than 11-10.. controversy or not it was a tight game all night. Look forward to another brawl.

markymarc
01-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Ben will be playing on Sunday and leading us to victory.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Knowing Ben's past.. He's gonna tell everyone he's fine regardless of how he ACTUALLY feels. This is the side of Ben I'm disliking up to this point.. I hope he can make the right TEAM decision weather to play or not. He's decided poorly that he was fine and dandy to play in the past after an injury and he clearly was not supposed to be on the field. For the love of God PLEASE BEN!! Don't let ego make this decision. If Ben tells coach he's fine .. coach is gonna play him.. I think he in some ways has steered the boat even Cowers last year. Lets hope Tomlinson can see the truth if he's not up to the challenge.. Either way it's gonna be a sweet ass game .. Can't get much closer of a game than 11-10.. controversy or not it was a tight game all night. Look forward to another brawl.
and if ben says i am not fine, then everyone will be ripping on him saying he is wimpy. its a no win situation. if he tells tomlin that he is fine, then its up to tomlin and the coaching/medical staff to determine if he is well enough to play. i think if tomlin thinks he isnt 100% he(tomlin) has no qualms about telling him you are the backup. you play to win the game, and if that means benching your star qb, then so beit. if they lose because tomlin played ben and he wasnt 100%, it will be on tomlin, not ben.. so i think tomlin will look out for the team.

The_WARDen
01-06-2009, 10:47 AM

??? I want my QB to WANT to play and not wimp out...

It's up to the coach to decide if he's gonna hurt the team or not.

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I think he will start....but, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leftwich in the second half.yeah, me neither. we should be up by 4 td's by then and steelers traditionally give their back up plenty of mop up time.

but in the case of the ravens game last year, this usually prevents ben from setting league records.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2009, 10:52 AM
yeah, me neither. we should be up by 4 td's by then and steelers traditionally give their back up plenty of mop up time.

but in the case of the ravens game last year, this usually prevents ben from setting league records.
the only record we want is the first team to 6 lombardis... individual records dont matter if you put the team first.:wink02:

SteelMember
01-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Unless the NFL moves the game to Monday night...Ben will start this weekend.