PDA

View Full Version : Ron Rivera and SD's defensive "revival"

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 10:02 AM
the chargerfans seem to think rivera has magically turned around their defense into a world beater because they had a good game against the colts. supposedly he has revived them since his second game as coordinator which was vs the steelers. i dont know if allowing 20+ points to every opponent since then is something to brag about.

IND-23
ATL-22
OAK-7
KC-21
TB-24
DEN-21

:hunch: so they hold the raiders to seven and win a coinflip in overtime against the colts. im not impressed but then again i watch the steelers defense every weekend.

these guys are pretty delusional.

if were just basing everything off the last game played i guess we will be fine and hang 30 on their offense. :rolleyes:

Jammer
01-05-2009, 10:07 AM
the chargerfans seem to think rivera has magically turned around their defense into a world beater because they had a good game against the colts. supposedly he has revived them since his second game as coordinator which was vs the steelers. i dont know if allowing 20+ points to every opponent since then is something to brag about.

IND-23
ATL-22
OAK-7
KC-21
TB-24
DEN-21

:hunch: so they hold the raiders to seven and win a coinflip in overtime against the colts. im not impressed but then again i watch the steelers defense every weekend.

these guys are pretty delusional.

if were just basing everything off the last game played i guess we will be fine and hang 30 on their offense. :rolleyes:

Colts Score 10 PTS...the 2nd half TD was a huge sleeping mistake on Defense substitution :)

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Colts Score 10 PTS...the 2nd half TD was a huge sleeping mistake on Defense substitution :)

Always conditionals with Charger fans. The Colts scored 17 pts, just like Denver beat you in week 2, just like we only beat you by 1 pt even though the TD should have counted. You can dress it up however you want, Manning does that stuff all the time, you knew it and you got caught with your pants down.

Like it doesn't count against your D because they were "sleeping." Excuses.

Jammer
01-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Always conditionals with Charger fans. The Colts scored 17 pts, just like Denver beat you in week 2, just like we only beat you by 1 pt even though the TD should have counted. You can dress it up however you want, Manning does that stuff all the time, you knew it and you got caught with your pants down.

Like it doesn't count against your D because they were "sleeping." Excuses.

OK other plays in second have were NIL MVP did do nothing... 3 and 2 and getting sack priceless

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 10:14 AM
OK other plays in second have were NIL MVP did do nothing... 3 and 2 and getting sack priceless

Huh?

Jammer
01-05-2009, 10:16 AM
seriously, i expect the GAME to be very physical Chargers OLine playing alot better and PITT always physical Defense...

i expect a close game 17-14 type of game

SteelersinCA

It was a great sack, but how many times prior to that did you get to him? It was obvious the crowd affected him, very obvious. Constantly talked to his O to change the play, some good false starts, your crowd was there for you. I believe that helped your D, you should believe it helped your D. You won't have that in the Steel City, best believe.

Jammer
Huh?

my first language is french so be nice to me :)

Jammer
01-05-2009, 10:17 AM
It was a great sack, but how many times prior to that did you get to him? It was obvious the crowd affected him, very obvious. Constantly talked to his O to change the play, some good false starts, your crowd was there for you. I believe that helped your D, you should believe it helped your D. You won't have that in the Steel City, best believe.

i know terrible yellow towel will be rocking!

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 10:17 AM

Just a tip here.

Post away, but take your time and re-read your post before you hit the submit button. That way, everyone will understand your posts. :drink:

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 10:22 AM
i know terrible yellow towel will be rocking!

I'll be rocking it here in SD too, just so you know. I also saw lots of yellow towels at the Chargers game, I wondered if some people were using them as Charger towels......:doh:

KeiselPower99
01-05-2009, 03:17 PM

Your from Montreal huh??? Hook a brother up with some Alouettes threads lol

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm not delusional about Rivera's "turnaround". But the fact is the defense is playing a lot better now. Ted Cottrell had these guys constantly out of position and playing with no intensity whatsoever. I believe they're giving up at least 7 points less per game since Rivera took over at mid-season.

Yeah, pretty underwhelming compared to the Steelers. But it at least gives us "hope".

I mean, the Steelers put up 11 points on the Chargers in the last game. I don't see them putting up 30 now.

Matter of fact, i don't see either team putting up more than 20. Probably more like a 13-10 final.

Edman
01-05-2009, 03:27 PM
The Steelers Offense put up 400+ yards of offense last game. Obviously things are going to be different.

sunbiz1
01-05-2009, 03:34 PM
The Bolts have something that is being overlooked. When Ron Rivera was here in Chicago, the Bears won the NFC b/c of the turnover ratio. For the Bolts to pull an unlikely upset, they will have to exploit the Steelers O. Ben in particular, who can be prone to making mistakes when frustrated(very similar attitude as Brett Favre IMHO).

In the first eight games, the Charger defense allowed 24.8 points per game. In the last nine, it has allowed 18.3. After having 11 takeaways in their first 11 games, the Chargers have 13 in their last six.

The only way to negate a Steeler D with almost no weakness is to win the turnover battle. The Bolts will need to be +2 in this game for any hope of a W.

I'm not delusional about Rivera's "turnaround". But the fact is the defense is playing a lot better now. Ted Cottrell had these guys constantly out of position and playing with no intensity whatsoever. I believe they're giving up at least 7 points less per game since Rivera took over at mid-season.

Yeah, pretty underwhelming compared to the Steelers. But it at least gives us "hope".

I mean, the Steelers put up 11 points on the Chargers in the last game. I don't see them putting up 30 now.

Matter of fact, i don't see either team putting up more than 20. Probably more like a 13-10 final.

sunbiz1
01-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Hmm, I guess my last posting made too much sense.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
The Bolts have something that is being overlooked. When Ron Rivera was here in Chicago, the Bears won the NFC b/c of the turnover ratio. For the Bolts to pull an unlikely upset, they will have to exploit the Steelers O. Ben in particular, who can be prone to making mistakes when frustrated(very similar attitude as Brett Favre IMHO).

In the first eight games, the Charger defense allowed 24.8 points per game. In the last nine, it has allowed 18.3. After having 11 takeaways in their first 11 games, the Chargers have 13 in their last six.

The only way to negate a Steeler D with almost no weakness is to win the turnover battle. The Bolts will need to be +2 in this game for any hope of a W.

Yes. Turnovers have been key. Cooper has played much better in coverage and his 3 INTs in 3 weeks was a huge factor in the winning streak.

Luis Castillo has also finally returned to playing real football.

I usually don't even bring up the "turnover battle" because it goes without saying. Although last week we lost the turnover battle and still won the game.

Rivera has been praised for his attention to detail. so I still can't figure out how he overlooked that friggin' quick snap by Peyton for 6 last week.

BTW - Cromartie is our worst CB. If the steelers attack him, their receiver will win the battle. He's a mental midget with a football IQ of -1.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Over half of your turnovers came from the Broncos and the Raiders, that's 2 games. Let's not make it sound like the Chargers are consistently causing a huge difference in the turnover battle.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Over half of your turnovers came from the Broncos and the Raiders, that's 2 games. Let's not make it sound like the Chargers are consistently causing a huge difference in the turnover battle.

Turnovers helped vs. Tampa and KC also. Although with KC it was an onside kick that saved our ass.

You gotta count turnovers as a factor during a winning streak, just as you had to count a lack of them as a factor during the losing streak.

Like I said, I rarely bring 'em up because it's a given that if you take the ball away more times than you give it away... the results are usually very good. :whistle:

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Turnovers helped vs. Tampa and KC also. Although with KC it was an onside kick that saved our ass.

You gotta count turnovers as a factor during a winning streak, just as you had to count a lack of them as a factor during the losing streak.

Like I said, I rarely bring 'em up because it's a given that if you take the ball away more times than you give it away... the results are usually very good. :whistle:

Anyone of you Bolt fans have a breakdown on where exactly your "improved" defense ranks during your winning streak? I'd like to see those numbers.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Anyone of you Bolt fans have a breakdown on where exactly your "improved" defense ranks during your winning streak? I'd like to see those numbers.

I will look into it. But someone had broken it down at another site and I believe they are 10th overall during that time.

I'll see if I can dig it up.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Here you go:

Chargers | Rivera has improved defense
Sat, 20 Dec 2008 06:57:27 -0800

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the San Diego Chargers defense ranks 10th in the NFL in yards allowed and seventh in points allowed in the six games since new defensive coordinator Ron Rivera took over.

http://www.kffl.com/player/10900/NFL

If I can find more I'll post it

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Hmm, I guess my last posting made too much sense.
fair enough. rivera is definitely an upgrade and i was thinking he raised them from a piss poor defense to an average one. 18 PA would actually be in the top ten...

However, the chargers have played 6 teams in the top 16 (top half) in scoring. 4 of those were in the 1st 8 games, winning just 2 against the jets and patriots.

they lost both games against indy and atlanta in the 2nd half. did rivera make them better or did their opponents just get easier?

on the flipside is the steelers who faced 8 teams in the upper half in scoring. all 4 of their losses came against those teams.

our defensive scoring actually improved as we went into the tougher portion and latter part of our schedule.

in other words, the steelers got better as the schedule got harder, and the chargers got better as theirs got easier.

so while i can appreciate the chargers improvement, i cant be too impressed or scared of it.

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Your offense is nothing to write home about. The only thing that has kept your team in the running is your defense.

Defense wins championships.

If you really want to look at it realistically, however, the only thing that kept your team in Saturday's game against the Colts was the referees.

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Not much but against your offense it will do just fine. :chuckle:chargers high powered offense only scores 6 points more per game than the steelers.

of course the steelers have played all the leagues best defenses this year.

the chargers have played..... denver. :noidea:

:laughing:

:coffee:

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Your offense is nothing to write home about. The only thing that has kept your team in the running is your defense.the only thing that has kept your team in the running is denvers defense. :toofunny:

and kc's....

and tampa's :sofunny:

good luck with that :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 09:44 PM
And the only thing that kept us from winning game 2 against the the donks was a ref. tThere would have been no last game drama against them if the plays were called correct. And it shouldn't matter if the refs call bad plays in that game we blew it early it should have been no object but it happens in every game ours included. Get over it when your supposed great team only wins by one point in the first game. C'mon man!!!!!!!!!!!!

week 11-

refs take 14 points off the board for steelers = chargers lose by 1

week 2- refs take 0 points off board for denver = chargers lose by 1

c'mon maaaan!!!!!!

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
And us if we haven't won the games we did.:yawn: so now only the chargers can "win as a team"? did they invent that, or what?

ben and the offense led the steelers on 4 last minute wins aganst the chargers, jax, and twice against the ravens. if they hadnt, i guess we would be the chargers at 8-8. :flap:

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Like I said we are a different team now .........so are you !!!!!!!!!:flap:
what exactly is that supposed to mean?

sure you guys are a bit better than a 4-8 team *snicker*.

and we are the best team ever who overcame the toughest schedule ever. not to mention we ruined 3 sb favorites playoff dreams (dallas, patriots, SD).

whats your point?

sdnunes
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
and we are the best team ever who overcame the toughest schedule ever. not to mention we ruined 3 sb favorites playoff dreams (dallas, patriots, SD).

KC ruined New England's playoff dreams, Philly ruined Dallas'... and I'm guessing the SD was a typo...

And I couldn't decide if you were being facetious about that first sentence, but then I remembered that Tennessee dropped 31 on you in a game for the #1 seed and realized you must have been...

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Who did you ruin us ...........not quite.....we are still here!!!!!!!:wave:oh, was that you? i thought it was just a fly....

:tt02:

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 10:28 PM
KC ruined New England's playoff dreams, Philly ruined Dallas'... and I'm guessing the SD was a typo...

And I couldn't decide if you were being facetious about that first sentence, but then I remembered that Tennessee dropped 31 on you in a game for the #1 seed and realized you must have been...lol. whatever makes you feel better.

When Lightning Strikes
01-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Defense wins championships.

If you really want to look at it realistically, however, the only thing that kept your team in Saturday's game against the Colts was the referees.

Wrong HGal - it was the Colts making the penalties that the refs called! The refs didnt do anything extra and tape proves the penalties were real!

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I thought you stiller fans had class apparently not living and working in coal dust and smoke has worked your brains. Is it always the refs fault now ....sounds like Donkie fans talking and you see where they are now.!!!!!!!!!!!!!:chuckle::wave: Here we come!!!!!!:chuckle:have you ever heard of a donkey show? chargers are right near the boarder, right?

you sound just like one of the donkeys props. :thumbsup:

ooooooohhh "here we come!!!!!!". *shaking in boots*

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

get real, pretenderfan. i havent witnessed this type of machismo and false bravado here since the SBXL seasquackfans thought they had a fighting chance.

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 11:02 PM
:yawn: we can take this to the blastfurnace and i will be more than pleased to answer.

otherwise you can address the actual football related topic and explain how rivera's 'revival" is nothing more than "fools gold".

weak sauce, boss

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 11:10 PM
And we are the donkeys this time:toofunny:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/random-37.jpg

no doubt. you are an ass.

BTW... nice quick edit :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 11:29 PM
And we did the donkey this time:toofunny:so youre a boardertown ho who takes donkeyschlong in the vag for a quick $50?

seriously, which one is it gonna be?

you can try to run some smack, but out of respect for the board and the younger viewers, please take it to the "blast furnace" and i will be more than happy to reply to this rhetoric without wrecking and hijacking my own thread.

:helmet:

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 11:36 PM
You are from pittsbutt same to you!!!!!!!! and by the way sounds like you have participated in a donkey show.........how was it ?did the donkey get you off?????

:cya:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/random-37.jpg

its been "real" and its been fun....

but it hasnt been real fun. :yawn:

dumbass :wave:

baphamet
01-06-2009, 02:28 AM
hey guys! my first post over here so don't be to hard on me lol

i see a lot of fixation on defensive comparisons, obviously because the steelers are better in this department with or without Rivera.

but our offense defiantly cancels that out a bit, our offense is defiantly better than yours. and the strength of our defense is the running defense, your strength is your running game.

its going to be a hard fought game just like last time, i think the chargers are playing much better and with a lot more confidence, so its going to be an even more difficult game for you guys this time around. :wink02:

DJfan
01-06-2009, 02:47 AM
Just for the record, the NFL apologized for the bad call on Troy's TD in the last game. We should have won by 7 (or 8) not one.

SteelCityMom
01-06-2009, 04:21 AM
hey guys! my first post over here so don't be to hard on me lol

i see a lot of fixation on defensive comparisons, obviously because the steelers are better in this department with or without Rivera.

but our offense defiantly cancels that out a bit, our offense is defiantly better than yours. and the strength of our defense is the running defense, your strength is your running game.

its going to be a hard fought game just like last time, i think the chargers are playing much better and with a lot more confidence, so its going to be an even more difficult game for you guys this time around. :wink02:

Our strength is our running game? Really? Well I mean, Parker did put up decent numbers against your D last time, but our running game has not been our strength this year at all.

Your offense, is good, but like many other top offenses that have faced the Steelers #1 D, it was very weak against us. Rivers had his worst game this season against our D in our house (44.4% 0 TD 2INTs). This isn't a KC, Denver, Oakland or Indy defense you are facing.

I know Charger fans are extremely confident, and that's great, you have good reason to be after beating Indy, but believe me, it's not high powered offenses that scare Steelers fans. The only thing that scares Steelers fans is Ben allowing TO's. That's the only thing that will lose the game for us Sunday, and in a playoff game I don't think Tomlin will hesitate to put Lefty in (or at least I hope he doesn't hesitate).

I don't think many Chargers fans take into consideration that our offense has dealt with all the top defenses already this year, and won most of those games. We have played 7 of the top 10 defenses ( the #2 Ravens twice) and won 5 of those games, 2 of them in landslide victories and 3 in 4th quarter comebacks. They are battle tested and ready to go.

markymarc
01-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Well come Sunday we shall see how "revamped" the Bolts defense really is. And I guarantee Rivers and company will see a revamped Steelers defense.