PDA

View Full Version : Why I Fear The Chargers...

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Really, I don't. But, just like the Colts, it seems like the last two times we've played the Bolts the officiating has been HORRENDOUS. The most egregious example was when we played them in '05 and the officials basically gave them a mulligan on a muffed punt. The only call I've EVER seen that was worse than that was the Troy INT against Peyton that the officials gave back. We're talking "Tuck Rule" Twilight Zone type bad calls here...

The last time we played the Chargers the officials also seemed to be out selling pencils before the game to the Bolts. It's hard enough to beat a good team in the playoffs when you only have to play them, but it becomes almost insurmountable when you have to battle the refs too.

I'm not making excuses, really I'm not. I'm merely pointing out that when we play the Chargers and Colts, there is a whole other variable we have to gameplan for.

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 10:42 AM
The refs kept it close for sure...but...

The Steelers DOMINATED the Bolts in that game

Steelers DOMINATED on offense, 410 yards to 218 yards.

Steelers DOMINATED TOP,36:21 to their 23:29.

...and that's with a LT healthy.

Ben had 300+ yds passing
Willie had 100+ yds rushing

I ain't ascared

Good thing I saved the game on DVR - I will watch it again for all the penalties that stopped our drives and the bullcrap refs that stole Troy's TD's from him at the end of the game and all the talk of a "close" win would be over.

eafratitpm3
01-05-2009, 10:46 AM
The only thing I fear about the Chargers is their Special Teams. I fear that if this game is close at the end this will be the turning point. We have to dominate and dominate early! GO STEELERS!!! SB Championship #6

ts888
01-05-2009, 10:47 AM
a superior team wins regardless of a few bad calls. I'm not worried about the refs. I am worried about a good Charger team that has thrived in the underdog role many times before. They were 14 pt dogs to NE last year and kept that game damn close and may have won had LT, Gates, and Rivers not all been severely limited and/or out. They were 11 pt dogs to Indy the week before. Then, this year, they were home dogs to Indy again.

I think we will win but I'm scared. We can't put this whole thing on our D since they will likely score some. Ben and the Offense will need to come through also.

and then there's always that 94 game too. Different players but it still haunts me.

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Ben had 300+ yds passing

I ain't ascared

Good thing I saved the game on DVR - I will watch it again for all the penalties that stopped our drives and the bullcrap refs that stole Troy's TD's from him at the end of the game and all the talk of a "close" win would be over.

Thank you. We're having it tossed back in our face that we barely won, but the game itself was much more lopsided than the score indicated.

fansince'76
01-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Thank you. We're having it tossed back in our face that we barely won, but the game itself was much more lopsided than the score indicated.

Be that as it may, we need to stop leaving points on the field (which we've had an annoying habit of doing all year) and put the ball in the end zone when given the opportunity.

Steel_Bus_24
01-05-2009, 11:05 AM
If we protect the ball we should be ok

we can't be spotting them points like we did last year with the jags. If we give our D a fair shot to stop them then we should be around at the end at the least

Dizzle43
01-05-2009, 11:06 AM

Ben had 300+ yds passing

I ain't ascared

Yes we did dominate that game, but we must remember that this is not the same Chargers team we played a couple months back. They have a new DC and their defense is playing a whole lot better than they were at the beginning of the season. This is why they are in the playoffs and in the position they are in now. With that said if our offense can hold on to the football and not commit turnovers we will have a great chance of moving on to the AFC championship game.

steelreserve
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
What worried me more than anything was the Falcons-Cardinals game, because THAT'S our recipe for losing. Fall behind early, lackluster on offense, suddenly unable to stop the run for no good reason, and a few bad mistakes at key times. If we come out playing like that, it could be trouble. I worry more about us playing badly ourselves than I do about us getting pushed around by the opponent.

chargertom
01-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Ummmm....no....not the same team.
To the rocket scientist who said all we have is special teams, our QB led the league in passer rating, our WR'S caught 20 td passes, we have an all world TE, some guy named Sproles and a coach who is hard to beat twice in the same season.(See Colts and broncos).

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 11:15 AM
What's ironic is that we can actually sell out against the pass, since the Bolts have actually become a passing team now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 11:34 AM
The only thing I fear about the Chargers is their Special Teams. I fear that if this game is close at the end this will be the turning point. We have to dominate and dominate early! GO STEELERS!!! SB Championship #6

The only thing I fear is getting stuffed on the goal line on 4th down and again on 4th at midfield because Carey Davis cannot block Steven Cooper. Please show me more McHugh lead blocking for Gary Russell in short yardage. Davis is terrible!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 11:37 AM
What's ironic is that we can actually sell out against the pass, since the Bolts have actually become a passing team now.

Yes, but they actually execute the screen pass quite well, unlike the Steelers. So we cant entirely sell out vs the pass.

Is amazing that all the elements that slow down a pass rush, like screen passes, throw quick slants or just straight up block ...............we just don't do well.

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Yes, but they actually execute the screen pass quite well, unlike the Steelers. So we cant entirely sell out vs the pass.

Is amazing that all the elements that slow down a pass rush, like screen passes, throw quick slants or just straight up block ...............we just don't do well.

I'm guessing the Steelers coaches have watched just a little film on the Chargers. I don't expect the Bolts to do anything we aren't prepared for.

T.Richardson
01-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Heres what scares me. Bolts 0-13 all time during the regular season against Pitt, but 2-0 all time in the playoffs against Pitt. They are a different team.

memphissteelergirl
01-05-2009, 11:56 AM
What I fear the most is the Steeler's shooting themselves in the foot. They are going to have to play a complete game similiar to the one they played against New England, IMO.

It's going to come down to execution on both sides of the ball as well as special teams/field position.

I don't think the Chargers can beat us, but we can beat ourselves.

OX1947
01-05-2009, 12:00 PM
No one shoots themselves in the foot more then Willie Colon and Big Ben. Those two schmucks need to not make mistakes at the worst time in the game.

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Heres what scares me. Bolts 0-13 all time during the regular season against Pitt, but 2-0 all time in the playoffs against Pitt. They are a different team.

That inferior Chargers team in 94 beating us in 3 Rivers will ALWAYS haunt me. Then they got thumped by the 49ers...I've always wondered how much better we would have fared in that Super Bowl.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm guessing the Steelers coaches have watched just a little film on the Chargers. I don't expect the Bolts to do anything we aren't prepared for.

And the Chargers coaches have watched tons of film on the Steelers too. There is always a weakness somewhere and the coaches can always add a wrinkle or 20 to disguise pre snap reads. I dont think it will be a matter of not being prepared, but more a case of making the opponent think you are doing one thing, but doing another.

Its really a game of human chess to line up the players in the best possible position to make plays before the ball is snapped. Its possible to be prepared for everything, but not see the move until its checkmate.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 12:04 PM
No one shoots themselves in the foot more then Willie Colon and Big Ben. Those two schmucks need to not make mistakes at the worst time in the game.

Thanks for that thoughtful insight. :chair:

HOTDOG
01-05-2009, 12:05 PM
The Chargers are a beat up team. No LT. I think they'll have a tough time in Pitt. What are the weather conditions for this weekend anyway?

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Yes we did dominate that game, but we must remember that this is not the same Chargers team we played a couple months back. .

And it's not the same Steelers team either.

While the Steelers were blowing through the Pats, Cowboys and Ratbirds in a 3 game stretch late in the year the Bolts got beat by Atlanta then were playing the Raiders and KC at the time..........big deal.

verks36
01-05-2009, 12:11 PM
their is one thing i worry about.

1. If ben just has one of those games. Where he can single handidly lose us the game a la the raiders game a year ago. If he commits 3 or more turnovers i dont see us winning the game. The perfect gameplan would be get ahead early and then just run willie till the game is voer

fansince'76
01-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Wonder if guys like Stan Humphries, Natrone Means, Neil O'Donnell, and Barry Foster will be suiting up for this game? Irrelevant. And the loss to them in the '82 playoffs is possibly even more irrelevant.

T.Richardson
01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Wonder if guys like Stan Humphries, Natrone Means, Neil O'Donnell, and Barry Foster will be suiting up for this game? Irrelevant. And the loss to them in the '82 playoffs is possibly even more irrelevant.

true...but still!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-05-2009, 12:22 PM

My glass is half full....I will take a 13-2 record. All the two wins tell me is that they were able to field two strong playoff teams in the past...They cant say that THIS year.

OX1947
01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for that thoughtful insight. :chair:

Sorry. But Colon always has that holding call that brings back a good play every game. And Big Ben plays like Tony Romo sometimes. I just don't want him to ruin this defense from being one of the greatest because of stupid plays.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes we did dominate that game, but we must remember that this is not the same Chargers team we played a couple months back. They have a new DC and their defense is playing a whole lot better than they were at the beginning of the season. This is why they are in the playoffs and in the position they are in now. With that said if our offense can hold on to the football and not commit turnovers we will have a great chance of moving on to the AFC championship game.

Yep. It's true the Chargers needed an epic collapse by the gutless, Cutler-led donkeys. But they've focused on getting better every week and the defense is night and day from where they were in week 11.

It's still gonna come down to basics: running the ball, stopping the run, and not turning it over. Both teams will have trouble finding the endzone. But the Steelers are built for this type of grinding game. The Chargers offense won't miss the Tomlinson who played vs. the Steelers in that previous game though.

Many of us have been screaming for Sproles to get more carries all season long. It was clear LT wasn't healthy up until the last couple of weeks. Sucks he won't be able to help us right now. But screw it. At this point, 8-8 doesn't matter... LT doesn't matter... what matters is that the defense continues to improve and if they stop the running game of the Steelers... it's a toss up.

I love this stuff. Whoever wins this game is going to the Superbowl.

Who could ask for anything more? Good luck people. :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Sorry. But Colon always has that holding call that brings back a good play every game. And Big Ben plays like Tony Romo sometimes. I just don't want him to ruin this defense from being one of the greatest because of stupid plays.

Sorry to bring out the chair, but words like "always" and "every" are classic overreaction signs that imply Colon should have 40 holding calls per game, which he doesnt. If Colon would do what Kemo sometimes does, in not recognize the delay blitz and let the defender run freely at Ben...........would that be better??

Colon lacks the size to play RT and does the best he can at the position. The coaches should have him inside at guard. Ben sometimes makes mistakes and I dont like it either, but when he takes a chance and throws a 50 yard bomb everybody is on his bandwagon.

We all make mistakes and if you are gonna wrongly categorize guys for always making mistakes, when they only sometimes do.....then we might as well all be Eagles fans and boo Santa Claus.

43Hitman
01-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Don't forget Rodney Harrison and Junior Seau.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-05-2009, 01:16 PM

If Ben played like Tony Romo then he wouldn't be 5-2 in the playoffs.

As for Colon, he is a gauranteed holding/false start penalty a game. Hopefully he gets replaced at RT this offseason, he's much better suited to be a gaurd than a tackle.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Don't forget Rodney Harrison and Junior Seau.

I used to love hearing Berman call out Marion Butts name.

But still not better than Martin Meh, Meh, Meh-hew! or Alexander "if lovin' you is wrong then I dont wanna be" Wright !! But............I digress.

stlrtruck
01-05-2009, 01:22 PM
I have an idea - let's start blaming the refs and sound like a bunch of seahawk fans from back on '06.

I'll say it again, good teams overcome obstacles and sometimes those obstacles are the officials.

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 01:25 PM
the game will not be settled b/c of the refs...

i'm thinking that if LT can't play sproles won't be able 2 do what he did against the colts.. he won't be able to handle that many touches 2 weeks in a row.. i expect 2 see more of micheal bennett

ND_Charger
01-05-2009, 01:43 PM

Not going to deny you beat the Chargers up pretty good on the stat sheet, but keep in mind the Steelers kicked a FG with 11 seconds left to put them ahead 11-10. The TD by Troy (while it should have counted) was just a garbage time TD.

ts888
01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
the game will not be settled b/c of the refs...

i'm thinking that if LT can't play sproles won't be able 2 do what he did against the colts.. he won't be able to handle that many touches 2 weeks in a row.. i expect 2 see more of micheal bennett

amen.

43Hitman
01-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Not going to deny you beat the Chargers up pretty good on the stat sheet, but keep in mind the Steelers kicked a FG with 11 seconds left to put them ahead 11-10. The TD by Troy (while it should have counted) was just a garbage time TD.

I agree, scoreboard is all that matters in the end. Thankfully we were on top then and I feel we will be on top again on Sunday.

SteelCityMom
01-05-2009, 02:07 PM

Don't forget a Willie Parker TD that was called back on a ticky tacky holding call as well (that's what ultimately led to the FG). Also please don't forget that your only TD came off of a PI call against our CB Ike Taylor when Jackson turned around and ran into him in the endzone setting SD up at the 1 yard line. What should have resulted as an incomplete pass and a 3rd & 8 play or OPI ended up giving SD a lucky TD.

At worst that game should have been 11-3 or 18-3 if they had counted Troys TD.

Honestly, I'm not one to complain about penalties, especially after winning a game, but how anyone who actually watched that game could think it was a fairly called game and that the score shouldn't have been extremely more lopsided is kidding themselves. I'm just proud that our guys played one of their best games of the season that day and managed to overcome 115 yards in penalties to still win the game. SD was given every opportunity to run away with that game and they couldn't get it done in the end.

stlrtruck
01-05-2009, 02:08 PM

Garbage TD? Seriously? A garbage TD is what you get when the defense has shut you out for 58 1/2 minutes and the defense takes a breath.

That last second TD was Troy playing to his fullest through the entire game while the Chargers were trying to pull off the upset!

Garbage TD?

What will chargers fans think of next? :popcorn:

T.Richardson
01-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Here are chargers fans after the Steelers win!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/CWEBB04_/onoes_2.gif

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Garbage TD? Seriously? A garbage TD is what you get when the defense has shut you out for 58 1/2 minutes and the defense takes a breath.

That last second TD was Troy playing to his fullest through the entire game while the Chargers were trying to pull off the upset!

Garbage TD?

I think he just means it didn't affect the outcome. It was the final play of the game and the Chargers were in no position to get anything close to field goal position by running around aimlessly. Did you really think the Chargers lateralling the ball was going to lead to an upset at that point? The game was over. At least he acknowledged that the points should have counted.

Troy's a stud and was doing what he always does. Go 100% and wreak havoc.

If anything, I saw that as the Chargers not even being able to LOSE PROPERLY. That's how bad this team was back then.

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Here how it needs to go in my case.
1.L.T. Won't play so containing and holding Sproles and the run game first off.
2.Forcing Rivers to win the game
3.Offense scoring points at least 20
4. NO TURNOVERS!

Preacher
01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
I always have a healthy fear for another NFL team. "Any Given Sunday" is not just a saying-- well, except for Detroit.

In the playoffs, I have an even healthier fear. Trust me we could play good and lose any of these games coming up. That is what happens when we come to the playoffs.

ND_Charger
01-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Garbage TD?

dude, i didn't say garbage td i said garbage TIME td.. you scored with 11 seconds left to take the lead. obviously the game was over. we did some bullshit lateral desperation play that happened to get picked up and ran in for a TD..

i'm not trying to start any arguments, i said we were out played and statistically dominated, i just pointed out that the game still came down to a fg with 11 seconds left. the steelers aren't 6 point favorites for no reason. the chargers need to play well, but I think it will be a close game.

stlrtruck
01-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I think he just means it didn't affect the outcome. It was the final play of the game and the Chargers were in no position to get anything close to field goal position by running around aimlessly. Did you really think the Chargers lateralling the ball was going to lead to an upset at that point? The game was over. At least he acknowledged that the points should have counted.

Troy's a stud and was doing what he always does. Go 100% and wreak havoc.

If anything, I saw that as the Chargers not even being able to LOSE PROPERLY. That's how bad this team was back then.

Remember the Music City Miracle - Titans and Bills and what got pulled off there. So to think that it couldn't be done is like just stopping with 30 seconds to go because you've got the lead. Doesn't work that way. He may have acknowledged it should have counted but that doesn't mean the rest of his comments were "ok"!

ND_Charger
01-05-2009, 03:36 PM
wow, im not getting in this argument. I dont even care if we say the final score was 18-10 it doesn't make a difference now. With 12 seconds left to go in the game, your team was still losing. You can blame the refs all you want, just like I can sit here and say that TD was in "garbage time". It doesn't matter. You won the game, I was just trying to say it was still a close game irregardless of that TD.

Steelers have the best D in the NFL. Chargers have a decent offense, which drove the ball well on the first or second (can't remember) drive of the game and was then shutdown. I don't expect many points out of the SD offense, but I also don't expect to be completley shutdown.

Let me set this straight however, if Pitt puts up even close to similar offensive numbers as it did in our last meeting (Ben 300+ yds, Parker 100+ yds), this game won't be even close. Chargers obviously need to play a hell of a lot better on d. The chargers have been getting off the field on 3rd down a lot more lately, which was their biggest weakness at the beginning of the year.

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 03:42 PM
hopefully BA and some steeler players saw the game this past weekend between the colts and bolts.. and saw what manning saw with the substitution and caught them off guard..

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Don't forget a Willie Parker TD that was called back on a ticky tacky holding call as well (that's what ultimately led to the FG). Also please don't forget that your only TD came off of a PI call against our CB Ike Taylor when Jackson turned around and ran into him in the endzone setting SD up at the 1 yard line. What should have resulted as an incomplete pass and a 3rd & 8 play or OPI ended up giving SD a lucky TD.

At worst that game should have been 11-3 or 18-3 if they had counted Troys TD.

Honestly, I'm not one to complain about penalties, especially after winning a game, but how anyone who actually watched that game could think it was a fairly called game and that the score shouldn't have been extremely more lopsided is kidding themselves. I'm just proud that our guys played one of their best games of the season that day and managed to overcome 115 yards in penalties to still win the game. SD was given every opportunity to run away with that game and they couldn't get it done in the end.

nice post

ts888
01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Chargers O vs. Steelers D

"This matchup will likely determine the outcome of the game. The Chargers finished the year second in scoring and have notched 30 points or more seven times this season. Pittsburgh has the NFL's top-rated defense and has held opponents to 10 points or less eight times. Something has to give when these two teams clash for the second time this season."

43Hitman
01-05-2009, 05:59 PM
wow, im not getting in this argument. I dont even care if we say the final score was 18-10 it doesn't make a difference now. With 12 seconds left to go in the game, your team was still losing. You can blame the refs all you want, just like I can sit here and say that TD was in "garbage time". It doesn't matter. You won the game, I was just trying to say it was still a close game irregardless of that TD.

Steelers have the best D in the NFL. Chargers have a decent offense, which drove the ball well on the first or second (can't remember) drive of the game and was then shutdown. I don't expect many points out of the SD offense, but I also don't expect to be completley shutdown.

Let me set this straight however, if Pitt puts up even close to similar offensive numbers as it did in our last meeting (Ben 300+ yds, Parker 100+ yds), this game won't be even close. Chargers obviously need to play a hell of a lot better on d. The chargers have been getting off the field on 3rd down a lot more lately, which was their biggest weakness at the beginning of the year.

Good points and nice post. I like your style. You're a realist which is hard to find in football fans. Especially when their team is in the playoffs. This will be hard fought game by both teams

sdchargeher
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM

Ben had 300+ yds passing

I ain't ascared

Actually it was with a hurt LT. He had no burst at that point he was still suffering from the toe injury. Plus this isn't the same defense you played that week. The Chargers are playing much better ball now. Heck we lost to the colts too in the reg season. Plus how big ben will perform after a head injury is not really known.

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 07:46 PM
I love this stuff. Whoever wins this game is going to the Superbowl.

I like that kind of thinking. We'll bring you back a hat and a t-shirt.

sdnunes
01-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I like that kind of thinking. We'll bring you back a hat and a t-shirt.

While you're at the pro shop, can you also bring back a box of logo'd balls and a bag tag?

sdchargeher
01-05-2009, 08:20 PM
a superior team wins regardless of a few bad calls. I'm not worried about the refs. I am worried about a good Charger team that has thrived in the underdog role many times before. They were 14 pt dogs to NE last year and kept that game damn close and may have won had LT, Gates, and Rivers not all been severely limited and/or out. They were 11 pt dogs to Indy the week before. Then, this year, they were home dogs to Indy again.

I think we will win but I'm scared. We can't put this whole thing on our D since they will likely score some. Ben and the Offense will need to come through also.

and then there's always that 94 game too. Different players but it still haunts me.

gotta love that 94 game man. Humphries to a wide open pupunu and the deep bomb to tony martin. Then the neil odonell 4th n 3 knocked down by dennis gibson CHARGERS GO TO THE SUPER BOWL. The Pittsburgh Steelers have NEVER beat the Chargers in the playoffs. I do not see this week being any different. The Chargers almost ran the colts off the field if not for 2 red zone turnovers. Then consider the previous weeks we've scored 52,41 abd 34 points. Then I don't see your offense being effective ENOUGH to come out on top of a well playing chargers team.

sdchargeher
01-05-2009, 08:25 PM
I ain't skeered of the Chargers, but I do have respect for 'em. They're a good enough team that victory is within the margin of error (meaning we can't expect a win while playing sloppy ball), but if we bring our "A" game we can handle 'em. :tt02:

My prediction for this weekend: Pittsburgh unveils a ferocious ground game that nobody (including most Pittsburgh fans) suspected we had, causing Willie Parker to rack up more yards on the ground than the combined SD offense (air and ground).

Riiight I'm sure Jamal Williams and Stephen Cooper will have something to say about all these Rush yards against our defense. The Chargers have been playing great run d as of late and are going to force big ben to make plays while being pressured.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I can see Colon just blowing the game for us. Like a holding call that we just scored on or something like that. Move him to Guard.

steeltheone
01-05-2009, 08:29 PM
That inferior Chargers team in 94 beating us in 3 Rivers will ALWAYS haunt me. Then they got thumped by the 49ers...I've always wondered how much better we would have fared in that Super Bowl.

I really believe the Niners were not to be denied that year.....1997 was the year if we beat the Broncos we would have killed choke Farve and the Packers

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 08:30 PM
gotta love that 94 game man. Humphries to a wide open pupunu and the deep bomb to tony martin. Then the neil odonell 4th n 3 knocked down by dennis gibson CHARGERS GO TO THE SUPER BOWL. The Pittsburgh Steelers have NEVER beat the Chargers in the playoffs. I do not see this week being any different. The Chargers almost ran the colts off the field if not for 2 red zone turnovers. Then consider the previous weeks we've scored 52,41 abd 34 points. Then I don't see your offense being effective ENOUGH to come out on top of a well playing chargers team.weve held half of our opponents to 10 points or less. i dont see your offense being effective ENOUGH to beat the leagues best defense and a team that is as hot as any.

to be fair, the steelers are 0-2 against the chargers in the playoffs. that probably has alot to do with the chargers not actually being in the playoffs many times. what is it now? 6 times since the merger?

on the other hand the steelers lead the afc in playoff appearances over that span. :noidea:

what you did against the colts at home really has no bearing, and i dont care if you bring air coryelle back... just remember...

defense wins championships! :tt03:

BehindSteelCurtain
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
I just love how Chargers fans are trying to compare their D with the Steelers D. Please just stop your making a fool out of your selfs.

steeltheone
01-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Sproles will leave on a stretcher if they run him alot.

steeltheone
01-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I just love how Chargers fans are trying to compare their D with the Steelers D. Please just stop your making a fool out of your selfs.

That just shows pure stupidity!

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah I know not too much cause we won't need too much this time. Your team has done well this year but I know this time will be different with us. Congrats on having the #1 D.
:drink: and congrats on having the #1 passer.

defense wins championships. :tt03:

(except for in fantasy football where the #1 "scoring" qb usually does.)

cubanstogie
01-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah I know not too much cause we won't need too much this time. Your team has done well this year but I know this time will be different with us. Congrats on having the #1 D.

Why is it the Charger fans come here and try to convince us they aren't the same team. It doesn't matter, our D is the same. No LT, your right you aren't the same team. I liked what Sproles did, I was rooting for you guys. I thought and still think Chargers easier to beat the Indy. Your offense isn't as good as Indy's. Sproles will not do the same against us,don't be delusional. If he was that phenominal he would have proved it throughout the year. I am not saying he doesn't have talent, but to think he will produce anywhere close to last week against our D is delusional. I would be happy with a win myself if I were you or if the Steelers beat the Colts but It took a huge game by your punter, and a third down back who had the game of his life. Oh and I forgot the 3rd and 2 sack you guys had. So yes congratulations you won, but it was far from dominance, it was a game of inches and you guys prevailed. Again I say congrats, but Indy's finesse D(except Sanders) is a far cry from ours. Your O line looked the best I have seen all year as well, can they continue that ? We will see. I am a positive guy so I admit If I were a bolt fan the glass is half full, but there is another non homer perspective. You guys are susceptible to the run which will alllow us to be balanced. If Rivers doesn't have huge game you guys can't win. SD will have less the 90 yds rushing.

stillers4me
01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Can someone please change the name of this post?

It's embarrassing.

dekkerbasser
01-05-2009, 10:03 PM

C'mon now. Hoping or even predicting that a player leaves injured (and on a stretcher) is in poor taste!

Damn.

cubanstogie
01-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Can someone please change the name of this post?

It's embarrassing.

no chit, 8-8 with a playoff win anchored by a punter and 3rd down back/special teamer.

dekkerbasser
01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
no chit, 8-8 with a playoff win anchored by a punter and 3rd down back/special teamer.

So you're saying that's not a good reason to at least fear 1/3 of our team?

The guy straight coffin punted and played like a superstar.

I'm not saying he's gonna win the game. But I am saying that he could be a very very very big threat to your guys' ST.

cubanstogie
01-05-2009, 10:36 PM

I'm not saying he's gonna win the game. But I am saying that he could be a very very very big threat to your guys' ST.

I don't fear any part, especially without the old healthy LT, but I do respect the punter and Sproles.I just don't think its fair to ask a 3rd down 5'6" back and a punter to win 2 straight playoff games. If they do hats off to them, I think they shot their wad though. Will Scifers still boom some yes, will he pin us deep maybe once or twice but like I stated earlier it is a game of inches and if the punt goes in end zone then its a totally different game. I just don't think you can bank on that crap happening again. Then again we may play like last time and not be able to score. Its all speculation obviously, I like our chances with number 1 D, and an experienced QB in playoffs. Ben has been pressured all year for the most part, I just don't see the Chargers pressuring him like the Cowboys, Eagles or Ravens did which hopefully means no pics.

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
C'mon now. Hoping or even predicting that a player leaves injured (and on a stretcher) is in poor taste!

Damn.

I have to agree with you dekkerbasser. That was in extremely poor taste. I apologize on his behalf - most Steelers fans don't wish or predict injury on other players.

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 10:38 PM

I'm not saying he's gonna win the game. But I am saying that he could be a very very very big threat to your guys' ST.steelers dont fear nobody, let alone 1/3 of anybody.

the chargers better fear james harrison on ST.

Boltheads
01-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Really, I don't. But, just like the Colts, it seems like the last two times we've played the Bolts the officiating has been HORRENDOUS. The most egregious example was when we played them in '05 and the officials basically gave them a mulligan on a muffed punt. The only call I've EVER seen that was worse than that was the Troy INT against Peyton that the officials gave back. We're talking "Tuck Rule" Twilight Zone type bad calls here...

I'm not making excuses, really I'm not. I'm merely pointing out that when we play the Chargers and Colts, there is a whole other variable we have to gameplan for.

Really? It's only Monday and the "excuses" are already being laid down? I guess this will give you the right to talk smack the rest of the week and then come back in here (if you show up) next Monday to blame the officials.

GridironWarrior
01-05-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm a Steelers fan but man some of you guys have are waaay to confident . At least show the Chargers some respect. They're not New England.

SteelCityMom
01-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Really? It's only Monday and the "excuses" are already being laid down? I guess this will give you the right to talk smack the rest of the week and then come back in here (if you show up) next Monday to blame the officials.

Well it's not really excuses because we won both of those games despite the multitude of bad calls....it's just kind of noticing the obvious at that point.

Honestly though, I'm not the type of fan that blames losses on the refs. Take for example the Jax playoff game last year, many fans complain that a missed holding call that would have kept Jax out of the endzone cost us the game, I disagree...there were lots of things they could have done differently as a team to win that game, I don't like to think that a game is won or lost on one or two bad calls. But really, after that game in week 11, I've lost nearly all sympathy for any teams fans that want to complain about bad/missed calls. I think the Steelers kind of proved that it's quite possible to overcome even the most biased officiating.

How any Chargers fan can seriously think that their defense played a major part in that game and not the refs is beyond me. After all the complaining that was done after the first Denver game, you'd think they would notice that the Steelers were called 13 times for 115 yards to 2 times for 5 yards (with the second penalty actually reversing a TD for Pitt). If situations were reversed all we as Steeler fans would be hearing this week is what a bunch of cheaters we are and how they hope the Steelers don't have to pay the refs to try and win the game for them.

sdchargeher
01-06-2009, 01:23 AM

how did u get 0-13 in the regular season? i dont know the actual number but i know in 94 we beat u in the reg season and a couple years ago we beat you reg season too. thats at least 2 probably more.

SteelCityKing
01-06-2009, 01:26 AM
how did u get 0-13 in the regular season? i dont know the actual number but i know in 94 we beat u in the reg season and a couple years ago we beat you reg season too. thats at least 2 probably more.

quit living in the past and bringing up old sh*t!!! okay!? haha!

all you fans ever want to talk about is how you beat us...14 YEARS AGO! time to move on dude. get over yourself. we all know the stats...2-0 in the playoffs vs. the Steelers. NOBODY CARES!!!

why can't you open up your eyes and realize something, we live in the present and we are focusing on January 11th. THIS SUNDAY! quit talking about the olden days when things where bright and shiny and you took a game away from us and went on to get smashed in the Super Bowl. you live in this dream world where your beloved Chargers are perfect! get over it man...sing us a new song. =)

The Duke
01-06-2009, 01:29 AM

Don't know for sure, but I think it's 0-13 in pittsburgh

I could be wrong though :noidea:

Steelman16
01-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Don't know for sure, but I think it's 0-13 in pittsburgh

I could be wrong though :noidea:

Well, Coach End-A-Streak might have something to say to that come Sunday.

:tt03:

sdchargeher
01-06-2009, 01:42 AM
weve held half of our opponents to 10 points or less. i dont see your offense being effective ENOUGH to beat the leagues best defense and a team that is as hot as any.

to be fair, the steelers are 0-2 against the chargers in the playoffs. that probably has alot to do with the chargers not actually being in the playoffs many times. what is it now? 6 times since the merger?

on the other hand the steelers lead the afc in playoff appearances over that span. :noidea:

what you did against the colts at home really has no bearing, and i dont care if you bring air coryelle back... just remember...

defense wins championships! :tt03:

Actually its more like 11 times or more. Between fouts humphries brees and Rivers there are much more than 6 appearances. 78 79 80 81 82 92 94 95 04 06 07 08 and i probably left some out.

SteelersinCA
01-06-2009, 02:08 AM
Actually its more like 11 times or more. Between fouts humphries brees and Rivers there are much more than 6 appearances. 78 79 80 81 82 92 94 95 04 06 07 08 and i probably left some out.

Just add this Sunday to your long list of playoff success then, at least we'll keep it consistent for you, you made it, you lost. There's always next year to win the big one.:flap:

DJfan
01-06-2009, 03:10 AM
Living in So Cal is annoying right now. Can't wait until Sunday.

steeltheone
01-06-2009, 05:53 AM

I in no way wish or hope this on any player. Please leave the soft American i can't say anything mean for political posts. But if any team tries to run a 180 pounder 20x againts us bad things are gonna happen. We are NOT the Indy D.

SteelCurtain7
01-06-2009, 05:55 AM
"Fear no one. Respect all."

Reco'nize. :cool: