PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reported Harrison won DPOTY

T.Richardson
01-05-2009, 12:11 PM
:tt02:

XxKnightxX
01-05-2009, 12:12 PM
:applaudit:CONGRATULATIONS JAMES AKA SILVERBACK AKA DEEBO AKA GET OUT OF MY WAY OR ILL DESTROY YOU:applaudit::tt02::tt02::hatsoff:

DACEB
01-05-2009, 12:13 PM
He damn well better have!!

Congrats James you deserve it more than anyone!!

The Duke
01-05-2009, 12:14 PM
I wonder if he'll give a speech

You know james loves to talk :chuckle:

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Too lazy to give a link?

Harrison has death grip on defensive award

NEW YORK -- Linebacker James Harrison, the best player on the NFL's best defense, won The Associated Press 2008 Defensive Player of the Year award.

The announcement was made Monday.

Harrison, whose career-high 16 sacks set a team record, also led the NFL with a career-high seven forced fumbles. He beat Dallas' DeMarcus Ware in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcaster. Pittsburgh's latest version of the Steel Curtain was the league's stingiest in total defense, pass defense and points allowed.

Harrison earned 22 votes to 13 for Ware.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3811266

kmsteelerwr15
01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
HELL YA!!!!! :tt03:

i thought he was going to be robbed but they got it right

Congrats Silverback now lets add a ring to it :helmet:

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Just imagine how much more dominant he'd have been had he EVER gotten the call for being held?

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Down goes Reed...that should piss off the Ratbirds fans

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2007-11/33649872.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFq9GoiDyIEc3DqikFC1PvH0Snt6g

memphissteelergirl
01-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Was there any other choice? :wink02:

Congrats, Silverback!

:tt02::tt02::tt02:

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Well deserved James! :applaudit::hatsoff::drink::tt03:

How's dat Ratfinks fans? :chuckle:

Hey Patty Cake - beware the Silverback. That is all. :tt02:

T.Richardson
01-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Too lazy to give a link?

Harrison has death grip on defensive award

NEW YORK -- Linebacker James Harrison, the best player on the NFL's best defense, won The Associated Press 2008 Defensive Player of the Year award.

The announcement was made Monday.

Harrison, whose career-high 16 sacks set a team record, also led the NFL with a career-high seven forced fumbles. He beat Dallas' DeMarcus Ware in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcaster. Pittsburgh's latest version of the Steel Curtain was the league's stingiest in total defense, pass defense and points allowed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3811266

I saw it on T.V. didnt see it on website.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Justice is served!!

For sure I thought James would get robbed and Reed would get it. Ware had a lot of sacks on a defense that was OK, but the Cowpokes were supposed to win the SB this year and didnt even make the playoffs.

Silverback is most deserved, but Reed should have got more votes than Ware.

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 12:44 PM
I saw it on T.V.

I was ready to copy&paste the story when you slapped it up here. You win. I'm no mesa.

jjpro11
01-05-2009, 12:51 PM
ed reed and his "vaunted" defense let us walk down the field on them and win the division. give me a profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterin break. harrison hands down deserved it.

kmsteelerwr15
01-05-2009, 12:56 PM
ed reed and his "vaunted" defense let us walk down the field on them and win the division. give me a profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterin break. harrison hands down deserved it.

oh we know but you know as well as all of us know how much the media drops to their knees for Ed Reed

verks36
01-05-2009, 01:02 PM
if any one besides harrison got it it must have been rigged.

One question why the hell do the announcers vote? What makes them no more about football than the average fan?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
One question why the hell do the announcers vote? What makes them no more about football than the average fan?
Its not the announcers. Its members of the Pro Football Writers Association. So guys like Peter King and Don Banks vote......not Steve Tasker and Beasley Reece.

Crow-Magnon
01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Down goes Reed...that should piss off the Ratbirds fans

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2007-11/33649872.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFq9GoiDyIEc3DqikFC1PvH0Snt6g

Not if Harrison joins the ranks of MVP, ROY, COY, etc, etc. :thumbsup:

Harrison had a great year. I'll still take Reed.

Steelerstrength
01-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I was both confident and nervous about Silverback winning this much deserved award. Today is the beginning of yet another great week!

SILVERBACK! THE VERY BEST IN THE NFL! :tt03::banging::tt03::banging:

GutterflowerSteel
01-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I just saw it on SI.com, too.

:tt02:CONGRATS, SILVERBACK!:tt02:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/05/defensive-poy.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- James Harrison slams down the current version of the Steel Curtain better than any Pittsburgh Steeler, earning him The Associated Press 2008 Defensive Player of the Year award.

The linebacker who had a career-high 16 sacks, setting a team record, and led the NFL with a career-high seven forced fumbles, beat Dallas' DeMarcus Ware in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters announced Monday. Pittsburgh defense was the league's stingiest in total defense, pass defense and points allowed. Harrison was its main hammer.

"That's something that everybody in the league would love to have, to be voted the top player in the league for that year," Harrison said. "In my mind, I think I do -- and it's going to sound boring -- what the defense allows me to do and what my teammates allow me to do."

Baltimore safety Ed Reed, the 2004 winner, got eight votes. Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth had five and Harrison's teammate, safety Troy Polamalu, got two.

Harrison credited defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau's schemes with allowing him, an undrafted free agent from Kent State who was cut several times by Pittsburgh and once by Baltimore, to eventually become a star.

"The defense is built to play with 11 guys, and if all 11 guys are on the same page, playing the same defense on the same play, there's nothing that can go wrong and that's just how we feel about it," Harrison said.

But fellow linebacker James Farrior, who has seen Harrison develop from a backup to Joey Porter into one of the game's biggest playmakers, sees Harrison as the key.

"His whole attitude about football, I think he works harder than anybody else in this locker room," Farrior said. "He has a great work ethic. He's very tuned in to what he has to do to make himself better. That's all he strives for, to try to be better than anybody else, and you can see his determination when he's out there on the field.

"We've got good players on this team, and every team has good players, but he seems to be -- this year and last year -- making the plays that made the difference in the game."

Harrison is the fifth Steeler to win the award, including three Hall of Famers from the original Steel Curtain: Joe Greene (1974), Mel Blount (1975) and Jack Lambert (1976). In 1993, Rod Woodson was AP Defensive Player of the Year, and he is eligible for the Hall for the first time this year.

The Steelers did not allow a 100-yard rusher or 300-yard passer in 2008. Harrison didn't limit his work to that stingy unit, though: Harrison also had 12 special teams tackles.

"People said I couldn't do this or couldn't do that," he noted. "I was too short, too slow. Basically, I play and prepare myself in the offseason with the thoughts of what people said I couldn't do."

And he's proven he can do just about everything.

43Hitman
01-05-2009, 01:18 PM

IMO. I think Reed should have been a close second to Harrison (okay I'm biased) But Reed is a freaking beast in the defensive backfield. It is going to be awesome to see him and Troy play together in the pro-bowl. I would take Reed on this team anyday and twice on Sunday.

steveironcity
01-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Congrats to Harrison,

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Not if Harrison joins the ranks of MVP, ROY, COY, etc, etc.

I knew someone would bring this up...

Mike Smith Coach of the Year: ......0-1 post season
Matt Ryan Rookie of the Year: .......0-1 postseason
Peyton Manning MVP: ....................0-1 postseason
Jerod Mayo Defensive Rookie of the year:.......... missed playoffs with an 11-5 record
Chad Pennington comeback player of the year: .........0-1 postseason

...but the fact is Player of the YEAR is for the WHOLE year - Reed didn't do much the first half of the season.

Harrison was a monster this year. Over a 100 tackles, 16 sacks, led the league in forced fumbles, Plus, he did a lot of his damage on the national stage, under the lights in PRIMETIME games on the big stage.

The sack/force fumble returned for a TD against the Ravens, the safety against the Chargers, the two sacks/forced fumbles against the Pats back to back in the second half.

And he sat out Week 17 as well, he could have padded his stats some more against the Browns.

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 01:22 PM
oh we know but you know as well as all of us know how much the media drops to their knees for Ed Reed

Especially today.

It's brutal.

klick81
01-05-2009, 01:27 PM
WOOT WOOT!!! Hellz yeah Harrison...you deserve it. Now go kill yourself a Charger on Sunday.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Harrison scares the shiit outta me this weekend. I just hope Norv doesn't try to pass from the goal line again. :mad:

Steeldude
01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
comes to no surprise to me.

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 01:50 PM
IMO. I think Reed should have been a close second to Harrison (okay I'm biased) But Reed is a freaking beast in the defensive backfield. It is going to be awesome to see him and Troy play together in the pro-bowl. I would take Reed on this team anyday and twice on Sunday.

Reed is one of the few Rats I have any degree of respect for and I agree - he should have been behind Harrison instead of Ware.

The only way I'd take Reed on this team is if he were totally disinfected first. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Harrison scares the shiit outta me this weekend. I just hope Norv doesn't try to pass from the goal line again. :mad:

Yeah, actually Marcus McNeil is one of my favorite LT's in the league and he struggled with Freeney last weekend. Harrison brings way more leverage than Freeney, but doesnt have a spin move.

Better get McNeil some help on the left side this week.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-05-2009, 01:53 PM
HELL YEAH!

I thought he was going to get robbed by Ware or possibly even Reed.

Silverback is the most deserving out of any other defensive player in the NFL. He's just flat out DOMINATING.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Yeah, actually Marcus McNeil is one of my favorite LT's in the league and he struggled with Freeney last weekend. Harrison brings way more leverage than Freeney, but doesnt have a spin move.

Better get McNeil some help on the left side this week.

They finally did get the kid some help near the end.

Marcus had a back issue coming out of college. This was known and didn't appear to hamper him last year. I just hope he gets some serious flexibility training in the offseason. Also needs to drop a few LBs I think...

Jammer
01-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Harrison should have been league MVP!

Hapa
01-05-2009, 02:25 PM
YAYAY!!!! Isn't it funny that the DPOTY plays special teams? That's a true football player.

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 02:30 PM
james harrison is the AP def player of the yr.. good for him.. i think the fumbles and int helped him out

Rhee Rhee
01-05-2009, 03:08 PM
...but the fact is Player of the YEAR is for the WHOLE year - Reed didn't do much the first half of the season.

very good point. although it may seem harrison's first half of the season was much better than his second half, but i think we can attribute it to teams double-teaming and at one point i did see a triple team and giving respect to the best defensive player in the league...

congrats and hats off to mr. harrison... now if he can single handedly beat the chargers again....:sofunny:

SteelerFanInCA
01-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Congrats Silverback. Well deserved.

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Congrats to James Harrison for one hell of a season SO FAR for the Steelers and giving the defense it's #1 ranks and making our pass rush the best around. So deserved for him and lets hope he keeps his name shining through the playoffs.

Stlrs4Life
01-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Well deserved James!

Phoenixus
01-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I saw this coming years ago.

When Harrison was a backup to Porter he was racking up "starter" style stats while playing from the Bench.

A few years ago when he was still a backup, they paid him starter money just to keep him.

The Steelers knew talent when they saw it.

Hines0wnz
01-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Congrats to the Beast. I had a feeling he would win. :tt02:

KeiselPower99
01-05-2009, 04:11 PM
No one deserved it more then Silverback. Best player on the number 1 defense!!!!! Congrats my freind you deserve it.

CanadianSteel
01-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Wow ! very surprised he didnt get jobbed here. He definately deserved it as he made big plays in our big games at the right times. He is a beast plain and simple ! I wish someone would put togther a clip of all the times he was friggin held (and I mean choke hold, submission type held and dragged down) His stats are evn more impressive considering this takedowns game aftre game... as only real Steeler fans would know.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Harrison is on Sirius NFL Radio right now...

Great interview. Class guy. Well deserved.

I hope he catches the flu on Saturday. :chuckle:

chenzzo
01-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Congrats Silverback! :thumbsup::hatsoff:

St33lersguy
01-05-2009, 04:44 PM
:tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:
CONGRADULATIONS SILVERBACK
He deserves it to.Best player in the league this season hands down. Not to mention he was also the only defensive player to get votes for NFL MVP

HughC
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
They got this one right. No offense to Ware or Reed but Harrison was by far the logical choice. Though I still don't understand why he didn't get more votes for the MVP - I know that traditionally goes to a QB or RB, but the name of that award is "Most Valuable Player" and not "Most Valuable Offensive Player".

westcoastransplant
01-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Justice after all the pro bowl snubs. I thought Reed would take it away with his interception streak. Thankfully the playoffs are not taken into consideration.

Silverback definately deserves this one though. He's going to show why on Sunday! :tt::tt:

WWIIOwheelz
01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm thrilled for James, because there's no player in football who makes more of an impact on the defensive side of the ball like he does.

They got one right, I must say.

SoCalSteelersFan
01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
yes I got my vote in.

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
(Gotta do it)

Much love to another Akron guy made good. LeBron and Beanie Wells and now Harrison.

steelers3131
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-1089-Baltimore-Sports-Examiner~y2009m1d5-Harrison-wins-DPOY-Reed-shut-out

stillers4me
01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Congrats, James! :tt03:

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
That guy is a tard. How does he justify his own contradictions? Either it's a joke or he really does respect Harrison...he can't have it both ways.

Then again, the kid looks like he's about 15, and he writes for a Baltimore paper, so....

BehindSteelCurtain
01-05-2009, 09:11 PM
YAY

43Hitman
01-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Reed is one of the few Rats I have any degree of respect for and I agree - he should have been behind Harrison instead of Ware.

The only way I'd take Reed on this team is if he were totally disinfected first. :chuckle:

Lol....you made me smile:wave:

touchdownward
01-05-2009, 10:06 PM

I'm greedy, I'd like to have both. :flap:

markymarc
01-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Congrats to James Harrison for winning this award. He had a special season and was awarded for it. Now Silverback just needs to focus on beating up the Bolts.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 06:30 PM
fun facts:

Steelers all-time DPOTY winners.....awesome dude!

LB James Harrison 2008
CB Rod Woodson 1993
LB Jack Lambert 1976
CB Mel Blount 1975
DT Joe Greene 1972, 74

Danger DANJ
01-06-2009, 11:58 PM
fun facts:

LB James Harrison 2008
CB Rod Woodson 1993
LB Jack Lambert 1976
CB Mel Blount 1975
DT Joe Greene 1972, 74

That's good company. I'd like to point out that a lot of those guys went on to win Super Bowls the year they won DPOTY. So, for the list posted erlier about the different players who won awards this year and were one and done in the playoffs, don't worry about it.

Anyway, Congrats to Harrison. Well deserved! Anyone notice that Polamalu got a couple of votes too? Nice!

markymarc
01-07-2009, 07:36 AM
fun facts:

LB James Harrison 2008
CB Rod Woodson 1993
LB Jack Lambert 1976
CB Mel Blount 1975
DT Joe Greene 1972, 74

Nice list and thanks for posting. James Farrior should be on there too because he got robbed the year Ed Reed won it.