PDA

View Full Version : Does Tomlin "stay the course" or make adjustments?

klick81
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM
It's pretty well known that Ben does not do too well when coming off of concussions.

Without getting too far ahead of ourselves (and hoping for the best), let's say that Ben doesn't brush off the cob-webs on time. I think we all know Cowher would have "stayed the course" as he did several times.

Does Tomlin do the same? Or does he see a viable option in Leftwich? If so, how long before he makes the decision?

OX1947
01-05-2009, 12:26 PM
A good coach always makes adjustments. The thing is, Ben needs to go into Baltimore mode and play like that from here on out. No more cowboy crap. This defense is good enough to win it all. Do not give the other team a short field.

fansince'76
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
If he's obviously suffering from the after effects of the concussion, as was evident from VERY early on in the '06 Raiders game for instance, I would hope that Tomlin will pull him.

43Hitman
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
If he's obviously suffereing the effects of the concussion, as was evident from VERY early on in the '06 Raiders game for instance, I would hope that Tomlin will pull him.

I agree, Tomlin needs to do his job, and put this team in the best possible position to win the game. Even if that mean pulling Ben.

Dino 6 Rings
01-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Hand the ball off more and he won't have to worry about it.

Plus this is after a 2 week break, not the week right after, so Ben should be fine. Now if he comes into the game and starts running toward his own endzone, drops his pants and takes a pee right there on the field....then I say maybe he isn't recovered fully and we might want to think about pulling him.

43Hitman
01-05-2009, 12:36 PM

Plus this is after a 2 week break, not the week right after, so Ben should be fine. Now if he comes into the game and starts running toward his own endzone, drops his pants and takes a pee right there on the field....then I say maybe he isn't recovered fully and we might want to think about pulling him.

:laughing:

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 12:42 PM

You would pull him for that.

I would say let the man live his own dream.

I think Ben will have all those cobwebs out by Sunday. This, however, is coming from someone who has never been concussed...

RoethlisBURGHer
01-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I think Tomlin will make adjustments for the following reasons:

1. This is the playoffs. There is no time to let a QB work out the kinks in his game. It's win or go home, and Tomlin knows that. A simply bad desicion pick might cause him to pull Roethlisberger. But something like a tipped ball that gets picked won't.

2. It's better for Ben long term. Not just football wise, but health wise also. Tomlin isn't going to let Ben stay out there if it's obvious that he's not all there. He doesn't wanna be responsible if Ben's brain turns to mush because of not pulling Ben.

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 12:46 PM
If he's obviously suffering from the after effects of the concussion, as was evident from VERY early on in the '06 Raiders game for instance, I would hope that Tomlin will pull him.

Absolutely. If Ben is having problems, I don't have any doubts that Mike T will yank him and put in Lefty. As I said in another thread - I think Lefty is going to get more work with the first team O in practice this week, just in case.

fansince'76
01-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Absolutely. If Ben is having problems, I don't have any doubts that Mike T will yank him and put in Lefty. As I said in another thread - I think Lefty is going to get more work with the first team O in practice this week, just in case.

I agree - I think it would be very smart for Tomlin to hedge his bets and give BL more reps with the first team this week, just in case.

steelreserve
01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
I would hope he's quicker to make adjustments in any phase of the game if something's not working. If Ben still has oatmeal in his brains, get him out of there. If Parker starts out with 10 yards on 8 carries, get his ass out of there and try something else. If the Chargers are blitzing every down and getting pressure, change the playcalling. The games where we really get in trouble, it seems, are the ones where some aspect of the offense just isn't working but we still "stay the course" for too long and end up needing a big finish to pull it off.

eafratitpm3
01-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Ben will indeed have the happy feet in the pocket this weekend. Hopefully the O will be able to score first and turn this game over to the D. As we all know as Steelers fans especially this year, the Offense usually doesn't show up until they have to come behind and hasn't given the D a lead in most of the games. Maybe the O can turn over a new leaf, since it is a New Year.

DACEB
01-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm actually excited to see if Tomlin takes things to another level. He's played everything well this year, I'm hoping he really puts his stamp on this postseason.

This is a team effort, let's keep rotating all the guys. There's been great rotation on the D-line, let's keep it up. Let's keep the RBs fresh by utilizing them all. Timmons and Foote, make the most of your time on the field.

I have no allegiance to one player, my allegiance is to the STEELERS!!
Three wins away from #6!!

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 01:43 PM
ben will start and i think that if tomlin see's ben acting a lil funny he would put lefty in.. or maybe we just run the wildcat

Dino 6 Rings
01-05-2009, 04:08 PM
You would pull him for that.

I would say let the man live his own dream.

I think Ben will have all those cobwebs out by Sunday. This, however, is coming from someone who has never been concussed...

Notice, I said Think About pulling him.

Sometimes, goofy plays win games...so...:sofunny:

stillers4me
01-05-2009, 05:34 PM
ben will start and i think that if tomlin see's ben acting a lil funny he would put lefty in..

And.....we'll actually be able to tell the difference between a goofy brained Ben and the regular Ben? :wink02:

Just kidding...........really. :chuckle:

stlrz fan
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Ben looked pretty good and seemed pretty comfortable on TV tonight-Says he's100%

Steelman16
01-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Ben looked pretty good and seemed pretty comfortable on TV tonight-Says he's100%

Ya sure he didn't say, "Fwum pweety swure I'm fwun-fundred phercent, phonest." :chuckle:

markymarc
01-06-2009, 07:16 AM
I have complete faith in Tomlin that if Ben is still having issues with his concussion that he would put Lefty in the game on Sunday. This is a playoff game and Tomlin knows what's at stake.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2009, 09:25 AM
i think tomlin wants to win and if that means pulling ben then he will. this is much different than in 06, we all knew that cowher was going to retire and didnt think things through all the way. if he had then in no way would he had played ben in that raiders game.

i dont think tomlin is afraid of anyone. and if he had to bench his star qb i think he would do it without thinking twice.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 10:25 AM
It's not like we are playing the 99 Rams. The Bolts aren't going to hang a whole bunch of points on us regardless, so I'd give Ben at least 1 half to get rolling, and probably a full 3 quarters unless it's obvious he's just not "on".

Regardless, I think he'll be just fine...

ts888
01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
while I'm of course concerned about the concussion, I'm more concerned about our o-line and being able to run the ball. Everything functions off of that. You can blame injuries or whatever, but the facts are that Ben was 24th in the NFL this year in rating and 21st in completion percentage. I really don't want the game in his hands, concussion or not.

defense, run the ball (hopefully), and a few short passes to Hines and Heath, that's it. Santonio can run fly patterns every down to keep the safeties deep.

SteelMember
01-06-2009, 11:04 AM
i think tomlin wants to win and if that means pulling ben then he will. this is much different than in 06, we all knew that cowher was going to retire and didnt think things through all the way. if he had then in no way would he had played ben in that raiders game.

i dont think tomlin is afraid of anyone. and if he had to bench his star qb i think he would do it without thinking twice.

I would be more inclined to believe this if I had seen Tomlin pull anyone from a game because of play, let alone the starting QB. Coach Tomlin seems to trust and support the people around him. Ben will have to be stinking it up pretty good before there is a change, and by then it could be too late.

With that, the power of positive thinking tells me that that decision will not need to be made.:tt03: