PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Receivers

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Lets discuss this offense. Yes Rivers has been reliable, but at the WR position they have depth as well as their TE.
Having Gates who i find as one big threat def. on a final drive who can make big plays all game long. Chambers and Jackson who has become a tough opponent can def have a good game on any day.
I feel pressure on Rivers is Key to stop this potent passing game, and not giving him time to step up in the pocket and make a play. Ideas?

lilyoder6
01-05-2009, 03:39 PM
the wr's were rarely used in the 1st half of the game against the colts.. i just don't see jackson and chambers being a real threat against anyone

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 03:42 PM
I see more work in the flats, to be honest.

I know our new SD friends will immediately begin to stir, but I see a dink and dunk approach.

I'm not saying Rivers can't go down the field, but he's going to have to respect 25 & 43.

Lots of work for Sproles and Gates, who will have Troy bearing down on him often.

The_WARDen
01-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Rivers can't complete passes if he's on his back.

Hit him and keep hitting him...and then hit him again.

:tt03:

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Chambers isn't the deep threat, and from the looks of it that's all Jackson is. He was taken out of the game easily by the Colts, I'm not sure he even had a reception. The key is to not give Rivers the time to let deep plays develop. We can handle everything in front of us.

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 03:55 PM
McFadden and Jackson ran almost an identical 40 (4.47:4.46 respectively).

Let him run with Jackson and pressure Rivers.

It's that simple! :chuckle:

Get me Dick LeBeau!

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Chambers isn't the deep threat, and from the looks of it that's all Jackson is. He was taken out of the game easily by the Colts, I'm not sure he even had a reception. The key is to not give Rivers the time to let deep plays develop. We can handle everything in front of us.

This is it in a nutshell. The thing that drives me crazy about Norv's offense is this "plays in chunks" passing mentality. It has worked most of the year WITHOUT a running game. But facing a fierce pass rush it's pretty futile.

One player to consider is a guy named Legedu Naanee (#11). The kid is a playmaker and always seems to be forgotten by the defense when he's in. He came in when Malcolm Floyd was injured. Malcolm is an incredible playmaker, but I don't think his collapsed lung has healed fully yet.

Only other "receiver" who could be a factor is Brandon Manumaleuna. He's mostly a blocking TE, but he's sneaky too... and BIG.

This is not a dink and dunk offense, but I actually think it would be more effective like that in a game vs. this Steelers defense.

I'm assuming we would also count the screen passes as dink & dunk. Sproles is the king of taking these to the house. But I figure this option will be removed by the Steelers. Still, he's deadly on those swing passes that LT either dropped or ran out of bounds on all year long.

Last... you may see Sproles actually run a route or two over the middle. If he can get loose he'll cause some problems in the middle of the field.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 04:03 PM
This is it in a nutshell. The thing that drives me crazy about Norv's offense is this "plays in chunks" passing mentality. It has worked most of the year WITHOUT a running game. But facing a fierce pass rush it's pretty futile.

One player to consider is a guy named Legedu Naanee (#11). The kid is a playmaker and always seems to be forgotten by the defense when he's in. He came in when Malcolm Floyd was injured. Malcolm is an incredible playmaker, but I don't think his collapsed lung has healed fully yet.

Only other guy who could be a factor is Brandon Manumaleuna. He's mostly a blocking TE, but he's sneaky too... and BIG.

This is not a dink and dunk offense, but I actually think it would be more effective like that in a game vs. this Steelers defense.

I'm assuming we would also count the screen passes as dink & dunk. Sproles is the king of taking these to the house. But I figure this option will be removed by the Steelers. Still, he's deadly on those swing passes that LT either dropped or ran out of bounds on all year long.

Last... you may see Sproles actually run a route or two over the middle. If he can get loose he'll cause some problems in the middle of the field.

I have to think you are right, Sproles will get some swing passes and a few passes over the middle. Likewise, you know he's going to catch a brutal hit when he does that too. How he bounces back will be critical to how well that works.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
I have to think you are right, Sproles will get some swing passes and a few passes over the middle. Likewise, you know he's going to catch a brutal hit when he does that too. How he bounces back will be critical to how well that works.

He got lit up pretty good in that Indy game and bounced back nicely.

Kid can take a hit. His fumble was a little troubling to me. I've always thought that is his weakness. He had some trouble handling the ball a couple years ago, but for the most part he worked it out.

With so many touches coming his way, this is the only thing I worry about with him.

bradness113
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
BTW, we did NOT have McFadden the last time we played them...

bradness113
01-05-2009, 04:18 PM
ALSO,

we didnt have HEEEEEEEEEEEEATH!!!!

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 04:21 PM
He got lit up pretty good in that Indy game and bounced back nicely.

Kid can take a hit. His fumble was a little troubling to me. I've always thought that is his weakness. He had some trouble handling the ball a couple years ago, but for the most part he worked it out.

With so many touches coming his way, this is the only thing I worry about with him.

That's what I was getting at, his soreness, his workload, all will play a factor. Bennett is known for having trouble hanging onto the ball. Didn't Hester fumble a couple times too?

westcoastransplant
01-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Whats the word on Gates? If his ankle still bothering him, he wont have the impact he's capeable of.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey did fine against the Colts, drug some defenders for a while. He looked OK to me, didn't run too many deep routes like he usually does so maybe his speed is off. I think they say he will keep himself in a walking boot until the game.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 04:27 PM
That's what I was getting at, his soreness, his workload, all will play a factor. Bennett is known for having trouble hanging onto the ball. Didn't Hester fumble a couple times too?

Yes. Hester did fumble... on his first ever carry. :laughing:

But then Norv didn't let him run the ball nearly the rest of the season. It kind of pissed me off because you could see the kid was upset.

Norv has mindf*cked Charger fans all season long. His reluctance to commit to the run was baffling. Now it looks like he finally pulled his head out of his ass and realized how they won games last year.

I know about Bennett's troubles. But we don't have any choice. All I can do is hope for the best at this point.

I do think that our team will show up ready to play this time. We all know what the Steelers are capable of. We're just interested to see if this Chargers team can prove they are a different team now.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Yes. Hester did fumble... on his first ever carry. :laughing:

But then Norv didn't let him run the ball nearly the rest of the season. It kind of pissed me off because you could see the kid was upset.

Norv has mindf*cked Charger fans all season long. His reluctance to commit to the run was baffling. Now it looks like he finally pulled his head out of his ass and realized how they won games last year.

I know about Bennett's troubles. But we don't have any choice. All I can do is hope for the best at this point.

I do think that our team will show up ready to play this time. We all know what the Steelers are capable of. We're just interested to see if this Chargers team can prove they are a different team now.

Good point they don't have much of a choice. I wish LT could play. I just want Rivers to eat the grass at Heinz field all day long.

HughC
01-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I always had the impression that the Chargers passing game was based first on Gates, second on the RB (Tomlinson, or Sproles if LT is out), and receivers third. I found these stats on the receivers.

Wide Receivers
Jackson - 59 catches for 1098 yards, 7 TD; targeted 102 times
Chambers - 37 catches for 519 yards, 5 TD in 12 games; targeted 71 times
Floyd - 27 catches for 465 yards, 4 TD; targeted 37 times
Davis - 4 catches for 59 yards, 0 TD; targeted 7 times

Tight End
Gates - 68 catches for 791 yards, 8 TD; targeted 101 times
Manumaleuna - 15 catches for 127 yards, 2 TD; targeted 20 times
Naanee - 9 catches for 79 yards, 0 TD; targeted 13 times

Running Backs
Tomlinson - 52 catches for 426 yards, 1 TD; targeted 78 times
Sproles - 34 catches for 387 yards, 5 TD; targeted 44 times
Tolbert - 13 catches for 171 yards, 1 ID; targeted 15 times
Hester - 13 catches for 97 yards, 1 TD; targeted 15 times

That's 217 passes thrown to WR, 134 thrown to TE, and 152 thrown to RB.

Jackson is a deep threat but averages less than 4 receptions per game. As mentioned earlier, put McFadden on him and we're set.

Gates and Sproles/Tomlinson are where the point of emphasis should be. The primary concern is when they peel off their blocks, letting pass rushers go by them in anticipation of a screen pass in an open area of the field. The San Diego wide receivers are much further down the list when it comes to game planning against their offense.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Good point they don't have much of a choice. I wish LT could play. I just want Rivers to eat the grass at Heinz field all day long.

If the Chargers win, it will be Rivers who leads the way. So I pray that he gets very little ruffage in his diet during the game. :laughing:

SteelCityMom
01-05-2009, 04:44 PM
BTW, we did NOT have McFadden the last time we played them...

Yeah that was the first game Gay came in as a started and shared game time with Bryant, who we had just picked up, I believe. Carter was also sharing time with Taylor since Townsend was out for that game as well. Can't remember how it all broke down, but our secondary was pretty depleted for that game.

SteelersinCA
01-05-2009, 04:54 PM
That's 217 passes thrown to WR, 134 thrown to TE, and 152 thrown to RB.

Jackson is a deep threat but averages less than 4 receptions per game. As mentioned earlier, put McFadden on him and we're set.

Gates and Sproles/Tomlinson are where the point of emphasis should be. The primary concern is when they peel off their blocks, letting pass rushers go by them in anticipation of a screen pass in an open area of the field. The San Diego wide receivers are much further down the list when it comes to game planning against their offense.

You know an interesting matchup will be who stays back to block Polamalu or whoever rushes. I'm not so sure Hester or Sproles are going to be effective at stopping that type of blitz. I think they are going to have to use Manumaleuna as a FB. Or drop Gates back there, they do that sometimes. Which is fine by me, take Gates out of the list of options and me likey!!!

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 04:59 PM
You know an interesting matchup will be who stays back to block Polamalu or whoever rushes. I'm not so sure Hester or Sproles are going to be effective at stopping that type of blitz. I think they are going to have to use Manumaleuna as a FB. Or drop Gates back there, they do that sometimes. Which is fine by me, take Gates out of the list of options and me likey!!!

Yeah. I think Lebeau is gonna just bring heat all day long and leave it up to his secondary to make some big plays.

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Yeah. I think Lebeau is gonna just bring heat all day long and leave it up to his secondary to make some big plays.

I would say you are correct in that assumption! Patty Cake is going to be facing pressure from everywhere - he's not going to know where it's coming from most of the time, but in his favor - he has that quick release and the common sense to throw it away when he has defenders in his face.

sdchargeher
01-05-2009, 08:00 PM
the wr's were rarely used in the 1st half of the game against the colts.. i just don't see jackson and chambers being a real threat against anyone

Your kidding right? Jackson is one of the best big play threats in the league. He avgs 18 yards a catch on 59 catches with 7 touchdowns. Not to mention 1100 yards receiving. Chambers is a beast too and there is also a guy named Antonio Gates to throw to... oh and its not exactly a bad thing to dump it to sproles and gates for a half.... jus sayin.

sdchargeher
01-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Theyre tall, but not tall enough. The height of wide receivers is an overrated factor in this league, We just need to bring up pressure from anywhere. Have u guys SEEN Phillip Rivers run? I mean dam! I think my 6 year old cousin can run better than that. Seriously, if any of our guys pass through, he cant do much. He really isnt that great under pressure. Remember, their O-line is highly underrated, one of the best in the league if u ask me.

You forget this is Rivers first season back from a completely blown out knee. He has been wearing a brace all year of course he is slower. Still he is shifty in the pocket and has started protecting the ball more now even on a sack. He always tucks it when he rolls now whether he needs to or not. I mean really with our offense if we avoid the sack fumble strip we can convert a 2nd or 3rd n long with our guys. Plus if we don't we have the punter and a very well playing defense that can pin the steelers all day long. Throw out the fact we're 31 pass defense and 25th. We're a better defensee than that and to deny that is to be asanine and ignorant. We are good... very good right now. You guys better bring it this week.

43Hitman
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
You forget this is Rivers first season back from a completely blown out knee. He has been wearing a brace all year of course he is slower. Still he is shifty in the pocket and has started protecting the ball more now even on a sack. He always tucks it when he rolls now whether he needs to or not. I mean really with our offense if we avoid the sack fumble strip we can convert a 2nd or 3rd n long with our guys. Plus if we don't we have the punter and a very well playing defense that can pin the steelers all day long. Throw out the fact we're 31 pass defense and 25th. We're a better defensee than that and to deny that is to be asanine and ignorant. We are good... very good right now. You guys better bring it this week.

Sounds like your trying to convince yourself more than your trying to convince us. We do have the #1 defense, and to think your boys are gonna move the ball at will is ignorant if you ask me and just about all other Steeler fans.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-05-2009, 08:35 PM
I dont think Jackson and Chambers will have a big effect because their deep threats and I don't think Rivers will have enough time to throw deep. Gates is a bigger concern.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I just want to see Rivers cry when the games over because he lost.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 08:42 PM
I dont think Jackson and Chambers will have a big effect because their deep threats and I don't think Rivers will have enough time to throw deep. Gates is a bigger concern.

Chambers isn't really a deep threat now. He's become the possession receiver, while Jackson runs the deep stuff.

Also, Jackson abused Champ Bailey a couple of weeks ago. Matter of fact, Gates abused him too. He was coming off injury, but still... these receivers can make plays.

This is going to be a much more dynamic offense than what was on the field in week 11. Whether it's more effective remains to be seen. But without LT... we're better off. because he was injured and obviously not the same player he used to be.

Sproles is tired and sore right now for sure. But I think Norv will have some wrinkles that will offset the touches that would have gone to LT.

TDs will be at a premium for both teams.

43Hitman
01-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Chambers isn't really a deep threat now. He's become the possession receiver, while Jackson runs the deep stuff.

Also, Jackson abused Champ Bailey a couple of weeks ago. Matter of fact, Gates abused him too. He was coming off injury, but still... these receivers can make plays.

This is going to be a much more dynamic offense than what was on the field in week 11. Whether it's more effective remains to be seen. But without LT... we're better off. because he was injured and obviously not the same player he used to be.

Sproles is tired and sore right now for sure. But I think Norv will have some wrinkles that will offset the touches that would have gone to LT.

TDs will be at a premium for both teams.

Not to take anything from your guys, cause I think Gates is a beast of a TE. But Bailey has been getting burned for 2 years now at least.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
I just want to see Rivers cry when the games over because he lost.

I think you're mistaking Rivers for Jay Cutler. It's ok. We forgive you.

http://sportsreport.freedomblogging.com/files/2007/12/rivers1214.jpg

NOT

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6897/13641cutlert220vs6.jpg

See the difference? :noidea::chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Can someone PLEASE find the stats for Chambers and Jackson the first time we played. If I remember correctly, it was practically NOTHING. What makes you Dolts fans think that is going to change a second time around? The Steelers will be bringing it even harder and faster to Rivers this time. Chambers and Jackson will be nonexistant.

markymarc
01-06-2009, 06:38 AM
While I respect Chambers and Jackson as WRs, I am only worried about Gates and Sproles in the passing game. And this should be a game where Timmons sees a lot of playing time with their offense.

Jammer
01-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Chargers receivers are TALL 6.5: GATES, VJAX and Floyd... Nanee and Chambers play tall also...

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Rivers can't complete passes if he's on his back.

Hit him and keep hitting him...and then hit him again.

:tt03:

And while the defense is at....hit him again only harder!

nickelbolt
01-06-2009, 08:36 AM

Last game I think your D got two sacks. They were costly, for sure. But I think Norv wll be smarter this time around.

That said, Gates, Sproles, Hester, bennett, Manu, Chambers, Naanee... those will be the dink & dunk guys.

Jackson will probably get a shot at a reverse or some kind of bubble screen. Other than that, he's the deep guy for sure. And I do think Norv will take his shots downfield. VJ will be a tough matchup for any of your DBs one on one. But I'm sure your safeties will be playing head games with Philip all game long like Indy did... so it'll be a guessing game for him as to whether or not VJ is double covered.

GodofGridiron
01-06-2009, 09:08 AM

Nah.......the last thing we need is an aggressive penalty for roughing, that keeps their drive alive. Penalties killed us the last time we competed against these guys. Thats one of the reasons the game was kept close.

The_WARDen
01-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Last game I think your D got two sacks. They were costly, for sure. But I think Norv wll be smarter this time around.

That said, Gates, Sproles, Hester, bennett, Manu, Chambers, Naanee... those will be the dink & dunk guys.

Jackson will probably get a shot at a reverse or some kind of bubble screen. Other than that, he's the deep guy for sure. And I do think Norv will take his shots downfield. VJ will be a tough matchup for any of your DBs one on one. But I'm sure your safeties will be playing head games with Philip all game long like Indy did... so it'll be a guessing game for him as to whether or not VJ is double covered.

hahahahahahahaha... Norv Turner and smart in the same sentence? Now that's good stuff, I don't care who you are!

:rofl:

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 09:59 AM

I appreciate your fandom but I've been around a Norv Turner coached team in the playoffs and I've also seen from afar how "smart" he is during those games. You better hope he doesn't get a hold of the reigns too tight or the chargers and their fans will be sitting with their heads spinning all day on Sunday.

The reverse - not such a good idea against the Steelers Defense. I understand the need for a little trickery but with our speed on the outside, it would be just as costly as a sack. I could see the chargers using the ole flea flicker - now that one concerns me.

As for VJ being a tough coverage for our DBs isn't exactly accurate. It seems a lot of none Steelers fans have forgotten about #24 Ike Taylor. He has played shut down corner on a lot of top WRs in the league and done it one-on-one.

My biggest concern with your WR core is Gates. He's a big boy and can find the open areas. With that being said we've also got some LBs that can make his life a living hell all game long. Sproles is another fast one but I think he'll have to stay in more to block the rush then he'll be out of the back field but if the chargers can stop the surge he'd have some ground to run with if he can get the ball.

nickelbolt
01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
You know what guys. You're right.

The Chargers WR will have zero catches for zero yards. Philip will be sacked every time he drops back. Norv Turner is the worst play caller in the history of football. Any sort of imagination or creative play calling will be sniffed out immediately and shut down completely.

Vincent Jackson is the worst receiver in the league and won't possibly be able to catch a pass in single coverage.

(Yes, Ike has been outstanding - I loved what he did this season)

So you know what? This thread should probably be closed because apparently no one actually wants to know about the Chargers receivers.

ts888
01-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I appreciate your fandom but I've been around a Norv Turner coached team in the playoffs and I've also seen from afar how "smart" he is during those games.

before you guys go all crazy on me, I'm NOT (repeat NOT) saying Turner is a better coach than Tomlin........however, Turner with the Chargers is 3-1 in playoff games, Tomlin is 0-1. I just think the widespread idea that Turner is a joke as a coach is inaccurate. The Chargers are the first team with any talent he's coached in his career.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 10:43 AM
before you guys go all crazy on me, I'm NOT (repeat NOT) saying Turner is a better coach than Tomlin........however, Turner with the Chargers is 3-1 in playoff games, Tomlin is 0-1. I just think the widespread idea that Turner is a joke as a coach is inaccurate. The Chargers are the first team with any talent he's coached in his career.

I think Turner is an alright HC but his talents are within an OC's description and he responds better in that position. And according to the Press Release Turner is 4-2 in the playoffs. But as I've previously posted, that's just history and it's the past.

However, Turner has proven time and time again that the big game eludes him. Just like Cowher and Dungy that moniker will follow him until he can prove it wrong.

ts888
01-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I think Turner is an alright HC but his talents are within an OC's description and he responds better in that position. And according to the Press Release Turner is 4-2 in the playoffs. But as I've previously posted, that's just history and it's the past.

However, Turner has proven time and time again that the big game eludes him. Just like Cowher and Dungy that moniker will follow him until he can prove it wrong.

I meant he's 3-1 in playoffs with Chargers, yes, career he is 4-2. I personally don't really care about what a coach has done with past teams as it's a whole different squad, coordinators, etc.

my point was not directed so much at you as at the the many on this board and everywhere that seem to think the guy is a total joke. Once people get an idea, they seem to just run with it regardless of whether or not there is much basis for it. Heck, Turner has been given opportunities with multiple teams and I doubt the GM's of multiple teams are all stupider than the general NFL fan base who paint Turner as stupid.

Binary Bolt Fan
01-06-2009, 10:55 AM
What many have missed is that Bob Sanders did nearly nothing in last week's game because he spent the night double teaming Jackson. Dungy apparently decided he wasn't going to get beat deep and rolled his safeties toward Jackson the whole game.

This explains why Sproles and Gates were so effective underneath. So, that said, what does Tomlin do? Blitz his safeties to get Rivers feet moving, or double Jackson?

Binary Bolt Fan
01-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I meant he's 3-1 in playoffs with Chargers, yes, career he is 4-2. I personally don't really care about what a coach has done with past teams as it's a whole different squad, coordinators, etc.

my point was not directed so much at you as at the the many on this board and everywhere that seem to think the guy is a total joke. Once people get an idea, they seem to just run with it regardless of whether or not there is much basis for it. Heck, Turner has been given opportunities with multiple teams and I doubt the GM's of multiple teams are all stupider than the general NFL fan base who paint Turner as stupid.
Jerry Jones was considering Turner for his Cowboys, but picked Wade instead. Apparently, he did that because he was enamored with Jason Garrett.

Anybody here think Jerry Jones wishes he went with Turner? ...I'd take that bet.

baphamet
01-06-2009, 10:57 AM
yes the chargers WR's don't have a chance at completing a pass against your unstoppable defense, rivers will get sacked on every play.....book it!

The_WARDen
01-06-2009, 11:00 AM
I can't wait til the Dolt fans slither back into their holes after Sunday...

:helmet:

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
yes the chargers WR's don't have a chance at completing a pass against your unstoppable defense, rivers will get sacked on every play.....book it!not true. rivers will only get sacked until he gets hurt and then billie joe tolliver (or whoever your back up is) will get sacked on every play. if the wr's try to complete a pass they will get sacked too. we may just sack tomlinson on the sideline, just for the hell of it.

thats how we roll.

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Jerry Jones was considering Turner for his Cowboys, but picked Wade instead. Apparently, he did that because he was enamored with Jason Garrett.

Anybody here think Jerry Jones wishes he went with Turner? ...I'd take that bet.TO would yell at turner and make him cry.

really i think the cowboys woulda had the same problems with either coach. they need someone to kick their ass.

Binary Bolt Fan
01-06-2009, 11:13 AM
TO would yell at turner and make him cry.

really i think the cowboys woulda had the same problems with either coach. they need someone to kick their ass.
Great points. No coach could succeed there. Many Chargers fans lamented that Wade should of been the new guy after Marty bounced out. I'm thankful he wasn't. Wade will never HC a SuperBowl.

Binary Bolt Fan
01-06-2009, 11:15 AM
I can't wait til the Dolt fans slither back into their holes after Sunday...

:helmet:
There's a 50/50 chance we'll be slithering on Titan or Raven's boards... :hatsoff:

HughC
01-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Can someone PLEASE find the stats for Chambers and Jackson the first time we played. If I remember correctly, it was practically NOTHING. What makes you Dolts fans think that is going to change a second time around? The Steelers will be bringing it even harder and faster to Rivers this time. Chambers and Jackson will be nonexistant.
Steelers 11, Chargers 10 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29685&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2008&week=REG11)
Rivers completed 15 of 26 passes for 164 yards; 0 TD & 2 INT.
He was sacked twice.

Here are the Chargers receiving stats from that game:
Yards-Rcpt-Player
45 ---- 3 ---- Tomlinson
29 ---- 2 ---- Floyd
25 ---- 2 ---- Jackson
21 ---- 3 ---- Chambers
17 ---- 1 ---- Manumaleuna
10 ---- 2 ---- Gates
9 ------ 1 ---- Sproles
8 ------ 1 ---- Naanee

The Steelers had 69 offensive plays and held the ball for 36:31
The Chargers had 48 offensive plays and held the ball for 23:29

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 11:39 AM
What many have missed is that Bob Sanders did nearly nothing in last week's game because he spent the night double teaming Jackson. Dungy apparently decided he wasn't going to get beat deep and rolled his safeties toward Jackson the whole game.

This explains why Sproles and Gates were so effective underneath. So, that said, what does Tomlin do? Blitz his safeties to get Rivers feet moving, or double Jackson?

I stated it earlier that people want to forget about Ike Tayler #24. Maybe because he's not in the pro bowl. But the man has shut down a lot of good WRs this year and fans of other teams seem to think that our secondary can't cover a WR. That's not true, our greatest weakness on defense has been covering the TE - that's why Gates is my main concern but I also know that we've got talented and speedy LBs that can cover him. But maybe Rivers and VJ will cry enough that the refs will find a reason to throw the yellow flag when it's nothing but good defense. With that being said, I hope the refs let them play the game on Sunday and don't interfere unless it's a blatant penalty.

I'm sure Rivers is about to see his fair share of blitzes this game. He'll probably also see some exotic packages that look like blitzes but are more coverage.

ts888
01-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I and fans of other teams seem to think that our secondary can't cover a WR. .

considering we are # 1 against the pass, I don't know how any opposing fan could think that we don't limit WR's.

LVSteelersfan
01-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Thank you sir. Proves my point exactly. There is nothing the Chargers have done recently that make me think this game will be any different as far as Jackson and Chambers are concerned. Gates is the only concern. I read on some other board today a Chargers fan stating they had the best WR corps in the entire league with Jackson, Chambers and Gates. I almost blew a gut reading that one especially with Fitzgerald, Boldin and Breaston playing for the Cards and TO, WItten and Williams playing in Dallas.

Steelers 11, Chargers 10 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29685&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2008&week=REG11)
Rivers completed 15 of 26 passes for 164 yards; 0 TD & 2 INT.
He was sacked twice.

Here are the Chargers receiving stats from that game:
Yards-Rcpt-Player
45 ---- 3 ---- Tomlinson
29 ---- 2 ---- Floyd
25 ---- 2 ---- Jackson
21 ---- 3 ---- Chambers
17 ---- 1 ---- Manumaleuna
10 ---- 2 ---- Gates
9 ------ 1 ---- Sproles
8 ------ 1 ---- Naanee

The Steelers had 69 offensive plays and held the ball for 36:31
The Chargers had 48 offensive plays and held the ball for 23:29

BehindSteelCurtain
01-07-2009, 03:09 AM
The only Receivers I see hurting us in this game are Sproles and Gates.

stlrtruck
01-07-2009, 07:53 AM
The only Receivers I see hurting us in this game are Sproles and Gates.

The only WRs I see hurting us is our own if they drop balls