PDA

View Full Version : Steelers seem to be under the radar

NmL1232
01-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Don't get me wrong they were pretty hyped with the stout defense that they have.

But, i have watched a lot of sport shows this today and none of the shows even talked about Pittsburgh. I understand that it was wild card and we didn't play but, I mean almost every reporter/writer keeps talking about the ravens. We beat them twice and they are saying that they have a great chance to go to the super bowl. I understand anything can happen but, it seems like they are counting out the steelers.

SoCalSteelersFan
01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
thats great, this is where we want to be.

fansince'76
01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Good - glad to hear it. We seem to play better that way. :thumbsup:

HughC
01-05-2009, 05:50 PM
I think they're still just talking about the teams that played last weekend; I don't hear them talking about the Titans, Giants or Panthers either. However, if Tomlin can use the lack of media exposure as motivation, that's fine with me!

NmL1232
01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
I completely agree with you guys, i just found it to be funny.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Don't get me wrong they were pretty hyped with the stout defense that they have.

But, i have watched a lot of sport shows this today and none of the shows even talked about Pittsburgh. I understand that it was wild card and we didn't play but, I mean almost every reporter/writer keeps talking about the ravens. We beat them twice and they are saying that they have a great chance to go to the super bowl. I understand anything can happen but, it seems like they are counting out the steelers.

There's a Manning remaining in the playoffs.

Once he's out... there will be room for others. :noidea:

NmL1232
01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
I think they're still just talking about the teams that played last weekend; I don't hear them talking about the Titans, Giants or Panthers either. However, if Tomlin can use the lack of media exposure as motivation, that's fine with me!

True but it seems like they haven't even mentioned Steelers except when they say
"Chargers will go to Pittsburgh next week"

"Should they use Tomlinson or Sproles?"

cubanstogie
01-05-2009, 05:57 PM
When you look at it with an open mind, we deserve to be under radar somewhat. We barely beat the solid teams, and our offense has sputtered during most of game. Other people think Ben's "luck" at coming from behind will run out. My personal homer opinion is now the playoffs start and it doesn't matter what happened during regular season. We are capable of beating anyone, but unfortunately we could lose as well if Ben doesn't protect football. I think a different offensive team will show up, thanks to playoff experience for the whole team. Rivers will have to throw for 300 to beat us. I don't see it happening.

NmL1232
01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Very good point, i hope Ben doesn't kill the team with his pesky turn overs

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Very good point, i hope Ben doesn't kill the team with his pesky turn overs

Hey - no pessimism this week, please? :wink02:

Me likey the Steelers flying in under the radar. They were counted out in 2005 and we all know where that story ended. :tt03::tt02:

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 06:14 PM
No one is counting the Steelers out. By Friday it'll be prediction time and 99% of all "experts" will be on the Steeler bandwagon.

The Chargers just took out the "hottest" team in the NFL. But really, the only thing that was so "hot" about them was they beat a bunch of crappy teams (minus the Steelers) to win 9 in a row. Yeah, the Chargers were horrible when they played them during that streak.

So if there's any talk about the Chargers right now, it's only because most of these idiots had to eat their words and come to grips with it.

I had zero doubt the Chargers would give Indy all they could handle. I wasn't surprised when they beat 'em. I was more relieved because Jay Cutler had predicted that we couldn't possibly beat the Colts.

Let the shock subside and you guys will be the toast of the media in a couple of days. Look for Phil Simms to be the ringleader in this little reminder revival.

NmL1232
01-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Give me a break.

The the fans won the game for the bolts.

Not to mention the colts defense is not good at all.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Give me a break.

The the fans won the game for the bolts.

Not to mention the colts defense is not good at all.

Yeah... but the scoreboard says the Chargers won.

Don't worry... Steelers fans will be a big factor for your team. And our defense isn't supposed to be good at all either.

So I guess I can come here and say the same next week. right? :noidea:

SteelCityMom
01-05-2009, 06:27 PM
No one is counting the Steelers out. By Friday it'll be prediction time and 99% of all "experts" will be on the Steeler bandwagon.

The Chargers just took out the "hottest" team in the NFL. But really, the only thing that was so "hot" about them was they beat a bunch of crappy teams (minus the Steelers) to win 9 in a row. Yeah, the Chargers were horrible when they played them during that streak.

So if there's any talk about the Chargers right now, it's only because most of these idiots had to eat their words and come to grips with it.

I had zero doubt the Chargers would give Indy all they could handle. I wasn't surprised when they beat 'em. I was more relieved because Jay Cutler had predicted that we couldn't possibly beat the Colts.

Let the shock subside and you guys will be the toast of the media in a couple of days. Look for Phil Simms to be the ringleader in this little reminder revival.

I agree with you about this, but I think there will be a lot of media picking the Bolts as well and still basing it on their performance against the Colts. The media will be focused only on how Ben performs after having a concussion, talk about our defense will be an afterthought at best.

On a side note, Phil Simms gives me heartburn lol, him and Nantz have got to be my least favorite announcers of all time. I hear they will be doing our game Sunday again (yippee) so it will just be another game where the sound on the TV is turned off and the radio is on lol.

nickelbolt
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I agree with you about this, but I think there will be a lot of media picking the Bolts as well and still basing it on their performance against the Colts. The media will be focused only on how Ben performs after having a concussion, talk about our defense will be an afterthought at best.

On a side note, Phil Simms gives me heartburn lol, him and Nantz have got to be my least favorite announcers of all time. I hear they will be doing our game Sunday again (yippee) so it will just be another game where the sound on the TV is turned off and the radio is on lol.

Could be. But I think with Harrison winning DMVP there will be a big media emphasis on that defense. Of course Ben will be a discussion topic, but your defense is the "star" in Pittsburgh.

Phil always seems to be the "reminder". I listen to Dan patrick and when Phil comes on, he always tries to play up those items that are being forgotten by mainstream media. I kinda' like it on the radio show, but yeah... if he's calling the game I'm tuning into Sirius.

steelpride12
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Love it. Remember what happened when we were under the radar in '05.
Everyone right now is loving the Giants, eagles, and the Panthers to win it all and even bringing up the Ravens as well.
We are being blown right over by the typical Steeler hating sports writing and once again another playoffs team expected to lose. hehe Love it.

Fire Haley
01-05-2009, 06:39 PM
I think they're still just talking about the teams that played last weekend

Exactly.

Give it a day.

The 'match-up' shows haven't even started yet.

sdnunes
01-05-2009, 07:13 PM
The Steelers are not under the radar. Everything I've heard, beginning with yesterday's postgame shows, is that now that Indy is out Pittsburgh has an easier road to the AFC Championship Game. It's a lot like last year when SD beat the Colts, and every columnist, talking head and talking douchebag (Deion Sanders) was just handing the AFC Championship Game to the Pats. Granted, the New England pick made sense on paper... but the dismissiveness that was shown by anyone with a forum and an opinion made it appear as though there was a contest to see who could be the most condescending towards the Chargers... in a Bill Plaschke sort of way (SoCals will know what I mean).

It's already started in Pittsburgh... read Ron Cook in the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09005/939647-87.stm)

When a guy uses the Chargers' 8-8 record as a reason to think they're not very good, it's obvious they don't know enough about the situation in SD to have an informed opinion. Most people who don't give the Chargers a chance invariably end up mentioning the 8-8 record and the 31st ranked pass defense. I know not everyone has DirecTV, and therefore have not watched enough Charger games to really know what they're talking about. But did they not watch the last two games on national TV? Where the Chargers shut down two pro bowl QB's in back to back weeks?
If they had watched the Chargers every week, they'd know that even when the team was in total chaos they were still in every single game right up until the last possession. Find me another team still alive that did not suffer a blowout loss at some point in the season. The Chargers do not have 8-8 talent, they just have an 8-8 record. The record is what it is... but so is the talent. There are so many possible reasons why the regular season didn't turn out the way it was supposed to, and they were lucky the Broncos weren't able to beat the Bills at home in Week 16 and left the door open. But now that they're in, and playing in top form, even good defenses will have trouble stopping them.

fansince'76
01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
The Steelers are not under the radar. Everything I've heard, beginning with yesterday's postgame shows, is that now that Indy is out Pittsburgh has an easier road to the AFC Championship Game. It's a lot like last year when SD beat the Colts, and every columnist, talking head and talking douchebag (Deion Sanders) was just handing the AFC Championship Game to the Pats. Granted, the New England pick made sense on paper... but the dismissiveness that was shown by anyone with a forum and an opinion made it appear as though there was a contest to see who could be the most condescending towards the Chargers... in a Bill Plaschke sort of way (SoCals will know what I mean).

It's already started in Pittsburgh... read Ron Cook in the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09005/939647-87.stm)

When a guy uses the Chargers' 8-8 record as a reason to think they're not very good, it's obvious they don't know enough about the situation in SD to have an informed opinion. Most people who don't give the Chargers a chance invariably end up mentioning the 8-8 record and the 31st ranked pass defense. I know not everyone has DirecTV, and therefore have not watched enough Charger games to really know what they're talking about. But did they not watch the last two games on national TV? Where the Chargers shut down two pro bowl QB's in back to back weeks?
If they had watched the Chargers every week, they'd know that even when the team was in total chaos they were still in every single game right up until the last possession. Find me another team still alive that did not suffer a blowout loss at some point in the season. The Chargers do not have 8-8 talent, they just have an 8-8 record. The record is what it is... but so is the talent. There are so many possible reasons why the regular season didn't turn out the way it was supposed to, and they were lucky the Broncos weren't able to beat the Bills at home in Week 16 and left the door open. But now that they're in, and playing in top form, even good defenses will have trouble stopping them.

They can and will score on Pittsburgh’s potent, disruptive defense. I don’t think the Steelers can score enough against San Diego....San Diego’s going to get to 21 points. Will the Steelers? I don’t think so.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28497215/

IOW, we're going to lose at home to a team that had 1/3 less wins than we did this year against a weaker schedule not only on paper going into this season but also from the final W/L record of all opponents after the final regular season game. Further, we're going to give up more points than we have all year outside of the Colts and Titans games in the process. Again, at home. And this proclamation is coming from an apparently nationally syndicated (NBCsports.com) sportswriter, not some local hack from Pittsburgh like Ron Cook. So please, give it a rest with the "no respect" BS. :coffee:

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 07:43 PM
i dont think the steeler are under the radar at all.

even heard colts lb gary brackett today pick the steelers as his favorite. pat kirwan still has the steelers as the strongest afc team. i guess its what you listen to. just about everyone on the cbs set had the steelers in the SB. :noidea:

joeyssteelcurtain
01-05-2009, 11:04 PM
There are only eight teams left no one is under the radar

stillers4me
01-05-2009, 11:10 PM
I've seen multiple articles predicting a Steelers/Panthers Superbowl.

I hope they're right.

Polamalu43
01-05-2009, 11:30 PM
glad to hear we are under the radar. winning it all that way would be soo much better!!

LVSteelersfan
01-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Who cares what the nimrods have to say? Dilfer was all over the Colts and made to look like a total fool. He keeps saying the Steelers have no chance every time I hear him. Deion Sanders has some problem against them as well. Probably because they made his Cowboys look like fools.

cubanstogie
01-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Who cares what the nimrods have to say? Dilfer was all over the Colts and made to look like a total fool. He keeps saying the Steelers have no chance every time I hear him. Deion Sanders has some problem against them as well. Probably because they made his Cowboys look like fools.

Deion is flavor of day, he went from Cowboys to Falcons, now I am sure Panthers.

Dr. Steel
01-05-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm not sticking up for Prime Time. But after the Steelers beat the Ravens in Baltimore he did pick the Steelers/Ravens for the AFC title game. He said then that both were the best teams in the AFC.

SteelCityKing
01-06-2009, 12:17 AM
i DO watch ESPN from time to time and i always keep my fingers crossed that they might talk some Steelers talk. but they never do. does it piss me off? yeah. because i could careless about any other team out and about right now. BUT, they did mention Ben coming back this weekend and they are talking about how the defensive is going to step it up and take a win from San Diego. i mean, positive talk about our team is great...but flying under the radar is better. i just hate how the Ravens are "the team to beat!" COME ON! they played the Dolphins...PFFT!!!

but look on the brightside, atleast there is no more Brett Favre and Dallas Cowboys drama stealing the airwaves. i don't mind them talking about what coaches might be going where and of course Tony Dungy talk is okay. =)

...i smell an AFC (North) Championship game with a Pennsylvania Turnpike Super Bowl! haha!

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 07:20 AM
i DO watch ESPN from time to time

Well there's your problem right there.

ESPN is the basketball and baseball network, everyone knows that.
I only watch the Mike&Mike show.

Speaking of the NFL Network...

Did anyone see Deon's mansion tour in the "behind the scenes" spot?

That was funny as hell, him showing his funky toes and driving around in his golf cart in his giant mansion while Faulk was in a ratty hotel room while they were doing that conference call.

Terrell Davis picked the Steelers to go to the SB, many weeks ago and Deon makes 1000% more sense that than loudmouthed punk Jamie Dukes.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 09:16 AM

You can forget about the media pundits siding with the Steelers. Didn't you know that the Chargers are electrifying right now? Didn't you know that they are the AFC favs because they've been playing playoff football for 5 weeks now?

Nothing surprises me about the Chargers, but I know from experience Norv Turner is about to coach himself out of the playoffs. He's almost like Marty - he can go so far but then it's almost like his coaching abilities leave him the bigger the game.

Media picks San Diego
Steelers Defense "can't save them"
Steelers will be under the radar and make the Chargers pay
Steelers 24 chargers 13

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-06-2009, 09:35 AM
They are always under the radar...

Just watch ESPN or NFL Network
When they talk about the Steelers game they always talk about the opponent for 5 minutes and nothing about the steelers

memphissteelergirl
01-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Frankly, I prefer that the Steelers are "under the radar."

And as for the talking heads, after a while they all start sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher to me.

"WA-WA-WA....WA-WA-WA-WA." :chuckle:

SteelMember
01-06-2009, 10:54 AM
It's still early in the week. Most shows are just giving the re-hash/highlights of last weekends games. By Wednesday, every show will have their own versions of AFC/NFC match ups for this week. I'm not saying that they will have much to say about the Steelers besides the awesome defense, offensive struggles and Bens concussion, but they will demand airtime...there are only 4 games to talk about.

This looks to be a genuine post, but how can you really believe this??

Most of the talking heads were giving the west to the dolts before the season even started. When they started losing, most jumped ship, as they always do when they have to question themselves. After they squeaked into the playoffs because the donkeys handed them the division, they all came back and said, "see, we told you the talent was there to win it all." So they couldn't possibly have room to eat their words when their foot was still in their mouth.

Hines4ever
01-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I thought the same thing....but did see Bradshaw on Leno last night...said he "liked the Chargers" got booed by the audience....in California no less....said although he "likes the Chargers" he's picking the Steelers....then...he made SB prediction......Steelers v. Giants....Steelers win....ok, ok, he's a little biased but still loved the sound of that at midnight last night!!!!!!!!
:tt03:

Steelers Since '75
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
We all know why we fly under the radar... Steelers don't play the type of football Gooddeal and his lackeys want... high scoring - light hitting football that moves up and down the field without any big hits that might scare away the nancy boys and their wives who think football might be too violent. If hard hitting teams scare away the newbie viewers then that hits the bottom line of the NFL so teams like the Steelers get shunned for their lack of respect for the "new age of flag football"!

WELL TOUGH CRAP GOODSQUEAL!!! STEELERS PLAY PLODDING HIT YOU IN THE MOUTH FOOTBALL AND TRUE FANS WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY.

Steelers 16
Chargers 13

nickelbolt
01-06-2009, 03:22 PM
This looks to be a genuine post, but how can you really believe this??

Most of the talking heads were giving the west to the dolts before the season even started. When they started losing, most jumped ship, as they always do when they have to question themselves. After they squeaked into the playoffs because the donkeys handed them the division, they all came back and said, "see, we told you the talent was there to win it all." So they couldn't possibly have room to eat their words when their foot was still in their mouth.

I'm referring only to the Indy game here. They were all swinging from peyton's nutsack and pointing to the 9 game winning streak. What they didn't realize is that the Chargers actually DID improve down the stretch, while Indy basically remained the same... but played average or below average opponents down the stretch... and didn't dominate them.

At least the Chargers dominated the final two games of the season when it mattered most.

The talking heads that had predicted them to go to the SB early on... had abandoned and gone to the Colts side for this one.

Even that blowhard Chris Berman, who loves the Chargers, jumped off and went with the MVP.

That's all.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
They were all swinging from peyton's nutsack and pointing to the 9 game winning streak.

They swing from Peyton's nutsack when he throws SIX picks in one game, fer chrissakes. That's not a diss against the Chargers, that's just the usual over-the-top love affair the sports media has for Peyton Manning which they split with Tom Brady. I can't wait until they're both retired, personally.

nickelbolt
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
They swing from Peyton's nutsack when he throws SIX picks in one game, fer chrissakes. That's not a diss against the Chargers, that's just the usual over-the-top love affair the sports media has for Peyton Manning which they split with Tom Brady. I can't wait until they're both retired, personally.

Yeah. It's disgusting.

San Diego is Peyton's new "New England" or "Florida Gators" nemesis. It's kinda' fun knowing he gets mindfu.cked every time he plays this team.

beSteelmyheart
01-06-2009, 07:48 PM
It's funny to watch these guys jumping back up on the Chargers & Eagles bandwagon after dissing them weeks before. Once again the Chargers have made the sexy pick list now that the Patriots & Colts are out & once again McNabb is the best thing that ever happened to Philly . :coffee:

sdnunes
01-06-2009, 08:10 PM
It's funny to watch these guys jumping back up on the Chargers & Eagles bandwagon after dissing them weeks before. Once again the Chargers have made the sexy pick list now that the Patriots & Colts are out & once again McNabb is the best thing that ever happened to Philly . :coffee:

I think Baltimore and Philly are the trendy picks...

What's strange is I haven't heard one person pick Tennessee to win it all, which would piss me off if I were a Titan fan...

steelpride12
01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
You had to expect everyone to jump on the Chargers bandwagon they beat MVP Seyton and the Colts, plus their last 2 regular season games sure no surprise.
Let them have all the hype they want Indy has NO DEFENSE. The chargers and Sproles sure embarrassed them, but our D again, NO.
Plus remember Miller and Mcfadden were both out that last game and both are big time players and our secondary shut the Chargers down now imagine with B-Mac in there as well as the scary good Miller on the offense. Chargers will need big plays and luck to win this one.

lilyoder6
01-06-2009, 09:16 PM
seems evryone is jumping on the ravens bandwagon

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Is Carolina even in the playoffs?

If there's a team getting ignored - it's them, I say.

steel striker
01-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Most of the time it seems we don't get air time unless we lose a game we should have won or if Ben gets hurt. The only sports channel I get are the espn crap so, I try not to listen too much what most of those jerks have to say. Although Golic pick us to win the super bowl at the beginning of the season. Here we go steelers here we go!!

Crusty
01-06-2009, 10:09 PM

Huh? Wow, here in San Diego I must have missed this memo. If people aren't diminishing our win against Indy crying foul over the refs or lucky coin tosses, we're hearing about what a terrible mismatch the Chargers are for the Steelers and how the Steelers should have their way with us because it might snow a little.

In other words, people don't seem to know that the Steelers are going to win this week, but no one can put their finger on why.

If you want to talk about things being overlooked, here are a couple of nuggets for you...

A) While the pundits on all the football sites and on TV want to remind us that the Steelers 'dominated us' statistically in our matchup earlier in the season, they always neglect to mention how they still couldn't manage a single solitary touchdown. That's because while the Chargers are susceptible to the pass, when they are backed up against their own goal line this team routinely comes up huge. The Chargers make plays when it counts at the expense of giving up gaudy yardage numbers.

B) Ben Roethlisberger just suffered, what I believe is referred to as a serious head injury (See: concussion). Ben had his freaking helmet cut off and was strapped to one of those gurneys, then proceeded to fail memory tests over the next week. Would Steelers fans care to dig up stats of games immediately following concussions?

C) This weather thing is the biggest farce of all. I don't really need to get into the history of the Chargers playing in Pitt over the years, but I do want to point to last year's playoffs, when the Jags had no chance against you guys. If I recall, that game didn't go so hot for you.

The Steelers are a good team and I AND my team are obviously very respectful of what you have accomplished this season, but please don't delude yourself into thinking you're the underdog this weekend or that you're somehow not receiving respect. From the outset of the playoffs the Chargers have been given absolutely zero respect (Denver faded, Indy choked, LT is hurt, the secondary is like wet tissue paper, the Chargers are an 8-8 team, they don't deserve the playoffs).

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Huh? Wow, here in San Diego I must have missed this memo. If people aren't diminishing our win against Indy crying foul over the refs or lucky coin tosses, we're hearing about what a terrible mismatch the Chargers are for the Steelers and how the Steelers should have their way with us because it might snow a little.

In other words, people don't seem to know that the Steelers are going to win this week, but no one can put their finger on why.

If you want to talk about things being overlooked, here are a couple of nuggets for you...

A) While the pundits on all the football sites and on TV want to remind us that the Steelers 'dominated us' statistically in our matchup earlier in the season, they always neglect to mention how they still couldn't manage a single solitary touchdown. That's because while the Chargers are susceptible to the pass, when they are backed up against their own goal line this team routinely comes up huge. The Chargers make plays when it counts at the expense of giving up gaudy yardage numbers.

B) Ben Roethlisberger just suffered, what I believe is referred to as a serious head injury (See: concussion). Ben had his freaking helmet cut off and was strapped to one of those gurneys, then proceeded to fail memory tests over the next week. Would Steelers fans care to dig up stats of games immediately following concussions?

C) This weather thing is the biggest farce of all. I don't really need to get into the history of the Chargers playing in Pitt over the years, but I do want to point to last year's playoffs, when the Jags had no chance against you guys. If I recall, that game didn't go so hot for you.

The Steelers are a good team and I AND my team are obviously very respectful of what you have accomplished this season, but please don't delude yourself into thinking you're the underdog this weekend or that you're somehow not receiving respect. From the outset of the playoffs the Chargers have been given absolutely zero respect (Denver faded, Indy choked, LT is hurt, the secondary is like wet tissue paper, the Chargers are an 8-8 team, they don't deserve the playoffs).

Want some cheese with that whine? How much respect do you think a .500 record is going to get you? :coffee:

Crusty
01-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Want some cheese with that whine? How much respect do you think a .500 record is going to get you? :coffee:

To be honest, as much as it came off that way, I wasn't so much whining about us not getting respect (although there's certainly an argument to be made there) as I was taking issue with Steeler fan claiming that HE'S the one not getting respect...

I can't read a goddamn article or pre-game analysis of this game without being reminded of how the Steelers should win because they are somehow mismatched in all phases of the game, when that's not even remotely true. We dominate on offense and special teams, you dominate on defense.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 10:30 PM
I can't read a goddamn article or pre-game analysis of this game without being reminded of how the Steelers should win because they are somehow mismatched in all phases of the game....

You must've missed this one then: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28497215/

Crusty
01-06-2009, 10:35 PM
You must've missed this one then: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28497215/

Thank you for the link, it's quite refreshing. An objective analysis that highlights yet another fact that Steeler fan can't get into his cranium... that the Chargers are better in all phases of the game this time around than they were last time. It's also not the norm to see articles that aren't in some way stroking off the Steelers' D while ignoring the other aspects of the game and all the other question marks that the Steelers themselves have.

SteelCityMom
01-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Seriously lol, I remember reading in a couple threads on the Chargers board (which I do not post in, just read to see how opposing fans are feeling about the game and the team they are facing) and anytime a Steeler fan joins up and posts there and talks smack it's because they're scared. Would this philosophy hold true to the multitude of Chargers fans that have rolled in here this week?

cubanstogie
01-06-2009, 11:06 PM

Steelers fans read this crap all the time about not getting respect. It bothers some people. I think if you look at it realistically there is no need to. The majority of these guys (so called professionals)don't have winning records when picking teams, and thats regular season when there are more lopsided games. Playoff games even closer, I personally look at it like this- if we played SD 10 times we would win 6 to 7. Number 1 defense is the reason why. We have more room for errors and lack of execution because of it. Its easier to execute on D, than offense in playoffs especially in bad weather. I don't fear the Chargers because I don't think Sproles will produce and Scifers can't have the same type of game. Can't is the wrong word, probably won't pin us inside 20 , 5 or 6 times. Therefore they are one dimensional and easier to stop Rivers, who has had a great year except for game against us.

nickelbolt
01-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Seriously lol, I remember reading in a couple threads on the Chargers board (which I do not post in, just read to see how opposing fans are feeling about the game and the team they are facing) and anytime a Steeler fan joins up and posts there and talks smack it's because they're scared. Would this philosophy hold true to the multitude of Chargers fans that have rolled in here this week?

Not all charger fans posting here are "scared". Some of us actually picked PITTSBURGH to win the superbowl this year. we're excited. there's a big difference.

What I was hoping to see more of... was respect for your opponent. Most of the Steeler fans I know are a little nervous about this game. They know this will not be a cakewalk. They're confident the team will win, but they also know that the Chargers deserve to be playing this game. And they know there are some real liabilities on that Steelers team still.

Some of you are pretty reasonable about how this game might play out. But I understand that those who choose to just book their AFCCG tix in Pittsburgh as if the Chargers are a Pop Warner team... just haven't actually watched the Chargers play since week 11 (aside from the Colts game). You're going strictly off the regular season record and the apparent soft schedule. Remember... these are still NFL teams they dominated in 3 of the final 4 games.

that's fine. I've actually watched a lot of Steelers games this year. I loved watching them get into those wars and just be gladiators til the end. But I also saw some weaknesses that the Chargers may be able to exploit this time around.

Truth is... this Chargers team is better off right now without LT. He hasn't been the old LT all season long. Say what you want about Sproles, but he's gonna be a headache to deal with in space. And if he gets the slightest crack to run through, he's gone. Gates is a problem for any LB corps. Rivers is not easily rattled despite his goofy mechanics. And Jamal Williams on defense can singlehandedly shut down the running game and collapse the pocket. Luis Castillo is finally healthy and making plays again. Shaun Philips appears to have a little fire under his ass again. And the secondary is at least getting their hands on passes now and making plays. Rivera's noticeable value to the defense has come with his second half adjustments.

Not trying to convince you the Chargers are a dominant team. But they are a little dangerous right now. I think if the Chargers win, it will be because they get at least a couple of turnovers and play on a short field. I think if the games goes similar to week 11... the Chargers will not win that war of attrition. But let 'em get a decent lead and it will not be easy to erase.

Take it for what it's worth.

SteelersinCA
01-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Not all charger fans posting here are "scared". Some of us actually picked PITTSBURGH to win the superbowl this year. we're excited. there's a big difference.

What I was hoping to see more of... was respect for your opponent. Most of the Steeler fans I know are a little nervous about this game. They know this will not be a cakewalk. They're confident the team will win, but they also know that the Chargers deserve to be playing this game. And they know there are some real liabilities on that Steelers team still.

Some of you are pretty reasonable about how this game might play out. But I understand that those who choose to just book their AFCCG tix in Pittsburgh as if the Chargers are a Pop Warner team... just haven't actually watched the Chargers play since week 11 (aside from the Colts game). You're going strictly off the regular season record and the apparent soft schedule. Remember... these are still NFL teams they dominated in 3 of the final 4 games.

that's fine. I've actually watched a lot of Steelers games this year. I loved watching them get into those wars and just be gladiators til the end. But I also saw some weaknesses that the Chargers may be able to exploit this time around.

Truth is... this Chargers team is better off right now without LT. He hasn't been the old LT all season long. Say what you want about Sproles, but he's gonna be a headache to deal with in space. And if he gets the slightest crack to run through, he's gone. Gates is a problem for any LB corps. Rivers is not easily rattled despite his goofy mechanics. And Jamal Williams on defense can singlehandedly shut down the running game and collapse the pocket. Luis Castillo is finally healthy and making plays again. Shaun Philips appears to have a little fire under his ass again. And the secondary is at least getting their hands on passes now and making plays. Rivera's noticeable value to the defense has come with his second half adjustments.

Not trying to convince you the Chargers are a dominant team. But they are a little dangerous right now. I think if the Chargers win, it will be because they get at least a couple of turnovers and play on a short field. I think if the games goes similar to week 11... the Chargers will not win that war of attrition. But let 'em get a decent lead and it will not be easy to erase.

You are a fine representation of the Charger fans, however I fear you are not representative of most of them. My opinion of them is in the toilet, this game with the Colts has exploded their heads like Cromartie's. They are playing better no doubt. They have improved, no argument, but the bandwagon fans sicken me. They spew the most verbal diarrhea I've ever seen.

I think it's mildly peculiar that if you look at the Chargers boards this week there are like 7 threads about the Colts and only 1 about the Steelers, smack shack wise. They need to get over patting themselves on the back and get ready for the Steelers. Really get ready, not like we handled the Colts who beat the Steelers, we'll handle the Steelers ready.

SteelCityMom
01-07-2009, 12:35 AM

No I understand completely where you're coming from, and wasn't trying to single out any one Chargers fan (such as yourself) with that statement. You're pretty decent and haven't come over to talk a bunch of smack and that's very respectable. I don't agree with Steeler fans going over to any other teams MB's and talking smack either, it's just classless, especially during playoff time when all the teams left standing right now are worthy of being here and should not be taken lightly.

I respect every Chargers fan feeling as confident as they do, and completely understand the sentiment, it's how we feel too, and with equally good reason. If neither team had a good shot at winning the game on Sunday, neither team would be in the playoffs as far as I'm concerned. It's simply just the Steeler fan in me that likes our chance better, same as any Chargers fan feels about their team.

markymarc
01-07-2009, 07:41 AM

And you are definitely an intelligent well rounded football fan. Fans like yourself are what the NFL is about. It will be a good game, but of course Steelers will win :chuckle:

nickelbolt
01-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Right on guys & gals. I have a very high opinion of the Steelers organization. I work with an older guy who grew up in Pittsburgh and who's father was an acquaintance of the Rooney's. He's the biggest Steeler fan I know. He thinks the Chargers are smoke & mirrors too... but mostly because he just doesn't believe Norv Turner has the stones to match the intensity of a team like Pittsburgh.

As for our fans, there are more good than bad. Most of the good ones don't feel the need to come onto a rival team's board and post. Most of them are like me... eager, cautious, but optimistic. The bandwagoners and the shit talkers are mostly just living on hype. Can't do anything about that stuff. Happens to every team when they sniff success. I've come across a ton of a-hole Steelers fans, but they don't affect my opinion of the team or its fanbase because I know better.

If we lose this game, I'll be rooting for the Steelers to win it all. If we win, I hope you'll do the same. If not... no big deal. Let's get it on!!!

:cheers:

markymarc
01-07-2009, 08:59 AM
I work with an older guy who grew up in Pittsburgh and who's father was an acquaintance of the Rooney's. He's the biggest Steeler fan I know. He thinks the Chargers are smoke & mirrors too... but mostly because he just doesn't believe Norv Turner has the stones to match the intensity of a team like Pittsburgh.

I feel for you next week then. Your Steelers work buddy will be having fun with you next week :chuckle:

nickelbolt
01-07-2009, 09:22 AM
I feel for you next week then. Your Steelers work buddy will be having fun with you next week :chuckle:

We've got a lunch bet. Straight up. Tell ya' what... if the Chargers win... I'll probably have to let him pick the place. Because he'll need some real comfort food at that point. :laughing:

XxKnightxX
01-07-2009, 09:22 AM

They have to get Gus Johnson to announce games man, this guy will bring in so many ratings and avoid so many mutings. I swear this guy is so damn energetic.

nickelbolt
01-07-2009, 09:33 AM
This... does not help us.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9420/sprolessicoverig7.jpg

F.u.c.k. http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/8359/emotdohpb9.gif

stlrtruck
01-07-2009, 10:03 AM
This... does not help us.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9420/sprolessicoverig7.jpg

F.u.c.k. http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/8359/emotdohpb9.gif

So I guess you'll be thanking "Lee Jenkins" if things go south?

nickelbolt
01-07-2009, 10:16 AM
So I guess you'll be thanking "Lee Jenkins" if things go south?

:laughing: Yes.

I've seen the best and worst of this Chargers team. I'm hoping the mental midgets in the locker room don't infect the guys who actually give a shit about winning. This is just another reason for them to party. :mad:

Hines0wnz
01-07-2009, 11:58 AM

Doesnt bother me a bit. The less talk about the Steelers the better.

nickelbolt
01-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Doesn't look like the Steelers (or this game) are under the radar anymore:

A sampling of "experts" picks:

SportingNews:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/picks

USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-picks.htm

Fat Peter King (the Peyton Lover)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/01/09/divisional-picks/index.html#?eref=T1

ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/talent

Complete with Madden Simulation:
http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/simulation/nfl?id=3819874
(But if Sproles goes for 120 there's no way the Steelers win :laughing:)

CBS SportsLine
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/features/writers/expert/picks/week19

So there you have it. An overwhelming majority picking the Steelers to win.

DUH>

BrandonCarr39
01-09-2009, 07:07 PM

I mentioned this on another thread...

If anything, WC weekend itself is over-hyped. The media will overly-gush over the winners to the point where they'll almost completely ignore the bye teams(i.e. the teams that EARNED an extra week's of rest b/c they played the MOST consistently).

I mean really...Chargers beat a Colts team that had no run game/run D(which is a recipe for disaster in the playoffs). Eagles barely beat a Vikings team with a clueless coach and the worst QB in the league. Ravens beat an over-achieving Dolphins team with a noodle-arm QB. Cards beat a Falcons team with a rookie QB/HC. And then the media calls the Chargers, Eagles, and Ravens *the teams to beat*?? To boot-they're also forgetting how the bye teams are rested, healthier, and had that extra time to prepare.(i.e. the Giants had key injuries throughout last month, now pretty much everyone is healthy)

Disclaimer-I'm NOT trying to knock on the feat Pitt accomplished 3 years ago, as there have been exceptions.

BrandonCarr39
01-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Doesn't look like the Steelers (or this game) are under the radar anymore:

A sampling of "experts" picks:

SportingNews:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/picks

USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-picks.htm

Fat Peter King (the Peyton Lover)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/01/09/divisional-picks/index.html#?eref=T1

ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/talent

Complete with Madden Simulation:
http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/simulation/nfl?id=3819874
(But if Sproles goes for 120 there's no way the Steelers win :laughing:)

CBS SportsLine
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/features/writers/expert/picks/week19

So there you have it. An overwhelming majority picking the Steelers to win.

DUH>

So what? For anyone that's watched ESPN, Fox Sports, and the other national media outlets all week, it sure looked obvious how the Eagles, Chargers, and Ravens were *near locks* for Tampa next month.

Boomerang
01-09-2009, 07:16 PM
We will love proving them wrong when we march on to the big one.

sdnunes
01-09-2009, 07:46 PM
I mentioned this on another thread...

If anything, WC weekend itself is over-hyped. The media will overly-gush over the winners to the point where they'll almost completely ignore the bye teams(i.e. the teams that EARNED an extra week's of rest b/c they played the MOST consistently).

I mean really...Chargers beat a Colts team that had no run game/run D(which is a recipe for disaster in the playoffs). Eagles barely beat a Vikings team with a clueless coach and the worst QB in the league. Ravens beat an over-achieving Dolphins team with a noodle-arm QB. Cards beat a Falcons team with a rookie QB/HC. And then the media calls the Chargers, Eagles, and Ravens *the teams to beat*?? To boot-they're also forgetting how the bye teams are rested, healthier, and had that extra time to prepare.(i.e. the Giants had key injuries throughout last month, now pretty much everyone is healthy)

Disclaimer-I'm NOT trying to knock on the feat Pitt accomplished 3 years ago, as there have been exceptions.

So, the no run/no run D Colts that beat your team aren't very good?

The Eagles, who barely beat a Vikings team with a clueless coach and the worst QB in the league, beat your team but they aren't very good?

The Falcons have a rookie QB so they aren't very good? The Ravens have a rookie QB, too, so they must not be very good either, I guess, even though the Steelers were life and death to beat them.

Before you go all SteelersFever on me, I think the teams you mentioned are actually very good teams. Just wondering how you can reconcile the fact that you think they're average but somehow the Steelers are head and shoulders above them...

I get that you want to hear your team's name when discussing the playoff picture, and that by virtue of your record and #2 seed you should at least be picked by a majority of pundits to advance to the conference championship at the very least, but I don't get the dissing of the teams that have already played, when by your own accidental analysis they all look pretty comparable to yours.

nickelbolt
01-09-2009, 07:49 PM

The Eagles, who barely beat a Vikings team with a clueless coach and the worst QB in the league, beat your team but they aren't very good?

The Falcons have a rookie QB so they aren't very good? The Ravens have a rookie QB, too, so they must not be very good either, I guess, even though the Steelers were life and death to beat them.

Before you go all SteelersFever on me, I think the teams you mentioned are actually very good teams. Just wondering how you can reconcile the fact that you think they're average but somehow the Steelers are head and shoulders above them...

I get that you want to hear your team's name when discussing the playoff picture, and that by virtue of your record and #2 seed you should at least be picked by a majority of pundits to advance to the conference championship at the very least, but I don't get the dissing of the teams that have already played, when by your own accidental analysis they all look pretty comparable to yours.

Pssst... I think he's a *cough*... Cowboys fan. :laughing:

tony hipchest
01-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Pssst... I think he's a *cough*... Cowboys fan. :laughing::yep:

ironic huh? the cowboys and chargers are practical afc/nfc twins. the most talented teams to ever lace them up... yet 8-8.

the only difference is the cowboys play in a fierce conference and the colts play in the afc lest.

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
:yep:

ironic huh? the cowboys and chargers are practical afc/nfc twins. the most talented teams to ever lace them up... yet 8-8.

the only difference is the cowboys play in a fierce conference and the chargers play in the afc West.

Fixed it for ya! :coffee:

nickelbolt
01-09-2009, 08:27 PM

the only difference is the cowboys play in a fierce conference and the colts play in the afc lest.

Last year the Chargers went to the AFC Championship game while the Cowboys were one and done.

This year the Chargers won 4 games in a row down the stretch to win their division while the Cowboys folded up their tents and went home (just like Denver).

This year the Chargers won their Wild Card game while the Cowboys watched the Eagles win a game the Cowboys should have been playing in.

Yeah... practically identical, Tony.

BrandonCarr39
01-09-2009, 08:36 PM

LOL - like one of the previous posters said, I'm a Cowboys fan. I'm registered here b/c we played them last month, and had alot of good conversations with this board.

To answer your questions...

Colts - Yes, they are very good, but like I said-playoff teams who can't run the ball nor stop the run don't go very far. Again-forget the records.

Eagles - They've been inconsistent all year. The same team that smacked the Steelers, Giants, and Cowboys, was also the same team that lost to the Redskins 2 X's, Bears, and tied the Bengals. To be frank, they really didn't impress me much against a mediocre Vikings team. Heck-any time that has the Brad Childress/Tavaris Jackson combo is doomed.

Falcons - They were very good, yes, but they had defensive issues at times all year, and it showed in the playoff game. BTW-as we all know, rookie QBs generally don't go far in the playoffs.

Ravens - Yes, they have a rookie QB, but they could very well lose to the Titans tomorrow, and all this "Rookie QBs can't win in the playoffs" will start up all over again for Flacco.

Anyhow-my entire point was that WC weekend is overhyped to begin with(I didn't mean to go as far as saying the teams that lost sucked). What everyone seems to be forgetting is how the bye teams are rested, healthier, and have gotten an extra week to prepare. The Giants are a prime example-throughout Dec, they had numerous injuries(plus the Plaxico situation seemed to be in their heads for a couple of weeks too). Now everyone is healthy and have had an extra week to prepare for their fierce divisional rival Eagles. But en yet, ESPN seems to think Philly is going all the way to Tampa, while the Giants are finished b/c they merely had a tough couple of weeks in Dec.

BrandonCarr39
01-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Last year the Chargers went to the AFC Championship game while the Cowboys were one and done.

This year the Chargers won 4 games in a row down the stretch to win their division while the Cowboys folded up their tents and went home (just like Denver).

This year the Chargers won their Wild Card game while the Cowboys watched the Eagles win a game the Cowboys should have been playing in.

Yeah... practically identical, Tony.

You want to hear something funny? My relatives in Denver are die-hard Broncos fans, and they hate the Chargers for similar reasons my team's fanbase hates the Eagles.

Yah-at least we have something in common now...misery loves company!

BrandonCarr39
01-09-2009, 08:40 PM

To this day on the CMB-ongoing Norv vs. Wade as HC threads continue.

It's a good debate, but nonetheless, if Wade had succeeded Marty Ball instead, I think the Chargers would be going for their 2nd Super Bowl this year.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Ben has won us games and he has lost us games. Which one will show up this week?

nickelbolt
01-09-2009, 10:12 PM
You want to hear something funny? My relatives in Denver are die-hard Broncos fans, and they hate the Chargers for similar reasons my team's fanbase hates the Eagles.

Yah-at least we have something in common now...misery loves company!

Hey man... my best friend and former teammate is a die cowboy fan. He saw this coming when they signed T.O. and all the other imbeciles JJ brought in there. He agrees the sooner they clean up that locker room the better. I hate disliking the Cowboys because I grew up rooting for them to kick the Niners' asses every year. Mostly because of my buddy. I knew as much about the cowboys as I did about my chargers.

But once they signed T.O. I decided I could not like them in any way shape or form.

Exterminate that cancer from your locker room and not only will your team get back on track, but you'll have more of us pulling for you as an NFC team.

Wade doesn't stand a chance as long as T.O. is there. I like Wade as a DC... but he's never gonna get that train under control.

tony hipchest
01-09-2009, 11:57 PM

Yeah... practically identical, Tony.well, chargerfans say once the regular season is over you can throw out that record.

using the same logic i can say that once the superbowl is over, you can throw out the playoff records. after all, they are as meaningless as the regular season record right? (personally i give credence to both teams who make a SB- except the 1 time the chargers made it :wink02: )

its all really subjective. but here are 3 truths that are totally non subjective.

cowboys and chargers were both 8-8.

both were heavilly favored to be 08-09 sb representatives.

media touts both as being the "most talented team" in the league.

i disregard the whole "talent" part. defensively the steelers starters are the most football educated team in the nfl, plus they got enough talent to go head to head with any other defense in the nfl.

offensively i will take a healthy willie and ben over just about anybody. as far as the cowboys/chargers are concerned i would take hines ward and santonio holmes over any of their wr's. and i like nate washingon WAY better than either teams #3.

jason witten and gates? heath miller was on pace to break or tie gates TE td record (in his rookie season) until ben got hurt and the gameplans and batch's comfortability changed his role in the offense. i love spaeth as his back -up

jeff reed? i'll take him over anybody.

as for our line, we let faneca walk. :noidea: dallas and SD have a line with more continuity and therein lies the difference.

of course we let pro bowlers like joey porter and chris hope walk too. tell me the chargers or cowboys wouldnt love to have hope (both teams would probably have our current back-ups a. smith or t. carter as a starter). both teams could also find a place for porter.

so yeah, i look at the cowboys and chargers as twinkies (not the type lendale white eats).

Edman
01-10-2009, 12:00 AM
San Diego has a fighting shot because of their punter.

They have a 75% chance of victory if Bad Ben shows up.

BrandonCarr39
01-10-2009, 12:02 AM
jeff reed? i'll take him over anybody.

FWIW-Nick Folk is a monster. The guy has so much swagger it's just fun to watch. Remember the TWO game-winning 53 yard FGs in the MNF Buffalo game in '07?(2 b/c Jauron called that TO after the first)

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 08:20 AM
BUMP

markymarc
01-10-2009, 01:09 PM
San Diego has a fighting shot because of their punter.

They have a 75% chance of victory if Bad Ben shows up.

Someone needs to lock up Bad Ben in the closet until the season is over :chuckle: