PDA

View Full Version : R-U-S-S Russ, Russ, Russ

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 05:14 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2009/01/another-interview-in-the-cards.html

Another interview in the Cards
January 3, 2009

The Jets never got a chance to discuss their head-coaching vacancy with former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, but they will talk to one of his former assistants.

They will meet in the coming days with Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm, the Daily News has learned. Grimm, best known as a member of the Redskins' "Hogs," circa 1980s, coaches the offensive line for the Cards. He also coached the line on Cowher's staff with the Steelers.

The Cards advanced to the divisional playoffs, but league rules allow teams to interview assistant coaches from wild-card winners before the divisional round. Based on that rule, the Jets also will be able to interview Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan this coming week.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Good luck to Russ. I dont think he is a detail guy and somebody that will competently be able to manage overseeing an entire team.

I think Grimm is more of a Wade Philips type guy that is a good position coach and possibly coordinator. He could have a chance if he had good coordinators and stayed out of their way.

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 06:11 PM
The guy would look fantastic in some Gore-Tex.

Seriously though.

I know the guy was a very important assistant to the Cowher administration, but I just can't see him stepping into a foreign locker room and just being THE commanding presence.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Sorry man.....the Gore-Tex reference went right over my head.

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Sorry man.....the Gore-Tex reference went right over my head.

Those huge jackets all the coaches are wearing in the cold weather.

The one that made Wade Philips look like the "Stay-puff Marshmallow Man" according to some.

The Duke
01-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I was surprised he didn't have interviews last offseason

Hope he gets it

KeiselPower99
01-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Wonder how much whispering Faneca did into someones ear to get Grimm an interview???

Dylan
01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
good for grimm i hope he gets it

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Wonder how much whispering Faneca did into someones ear to get Grimm an interview???

How did I not even think of that???

Good point.

The Duke
01-05-2009, 07:36 PM

Totally forgot about that.

We all know he wanted grimm as HC in pittsburgh. Now his coach is out of the way and he can get back to asking for his old buddy

Wouldn't be totally crazy considering he's one of their highest paid players....

Nice find :thumbsup:

touchdownward
01-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Careful, ESPN might read this article and announce to the world that he HAS already been hired as the new Jets head coach. :wink02:

OneForTheToe
01-05-2009, 11:18 PM
I hope he gets it. i never had anything against Grimm. I just don't think that he interviews well based on how many interviews he has had. He can't seem to crack above the o'line coach anywhere. In fact, it might be the lack of confidence that people have in his offensive coordinating abilitythat is hurting him.