PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the OSU/UT Game

revefsreleets
01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
A) Added intrigue because both schools had the balls to schedule each other for that home/home series a few years back.
B) Texas will bring their A+++ game because a statement win could (longshot) net them a share of the title.
C) Those seniors who stayed for the Bucks will bring their A+++ game as well.
D) Forget the past two NC games that the Bucks folded in. The pressure is off and they can just go play football tonite.
E) Pryor is in his "second season". He's had just about as much time to prepare for this game as he had in his "first season". I expect to see him shine.
F) Bucks win by a TD and redeem the BIg Ten

GoFins11
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm trying to decide who has the worst Band uniforms. Its a toss up right now.

Great game so far though.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Big 10

1-6 in bowl games

Tressel for Browns head coach

http://www.swampie.net/Portals/0/Ohio%20State%20Crying%20man.JPG

RoethlisBURGHer
01-06-2009, 08:49 AM
What a kick in the nuts that loss was.

Our defense holds Texas to their lowest point total the entire season.

Buckeyes take the lead, leaving Colt McCoy 1:36 to drive 76 yards for a TD tow in the game.

Using no timeouts, McCoy leads the Longhorns into Buckeye territory. He throws a TD pass to Cosby who has to break a tackle to get into the endzone. if Coleman doesn't blow that tackle, the Buckeyes more than likley win the damn game.

I would rather be blown out than lose that way. At least when your team gets blown out, you don't have that hope at the end that they are gonna win.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Well, to be fair, Texas was the better team top to bottom, although Ohio State was the best defense they've seen all year.

Pryor is sloppy throwing the football, but when he cleans up and corrects his passing game, he'll be SCARY good. It's just effortless for him.

Wells is going pro...if you're going to get hurt, and he's a big back so he will be getting hurt, it's best to get paid for it.

All told, great effort, and THAT is Ohio State Football. There are only a handful of teams in the Country that can beat OSU when they play solid football, and Texas is one of them.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-06-2009, 08:55 AM
That's for sure Reve.

I think we'll see a whole new Pryor next season.

Remember the transformation Troy Smith made from his first season as a starter to his second? He went from throwing little and running a lot to throwing a lot and running a little.

We're gonna see a transformation like that with Pryor. The kid's gonna end up a Heisman Trophy winner before the end of his Ohio State career.

As for Wells, I think he's gonna go pro now. He got hurt again, and if you've got the oppurtunity to get paid for the beating you take when you play like Beanie does, go get paid. I just hope he doesn't end up in the AFC North.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 09:00 AM
He could...Cleveland picks 5th, and Lewis is getting old.

All in all, I'm proud of the Buckeyes. Their offense was pretty average this year while they groomed Pryor, but 10-3 and a BCS game is not so bad. I think it's safe to start thinking BCS title game next year if we beat USC in Columbus in September.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-06-2009, 09:15 AM
He could...Cleveland picks 5th, and Lewis is getting old.

All in all, I'm proud of the Buckeyes. Their offense was pretty average this year while they groomed Pryor, but 10-3 and a BCS game is not so bad. I think it's safe to start thinking BCS title game next year if we beat USC in Columbus in September.

Yeah, the Buckeyes sorta redeemed themselves with this loss, funny to say. We lost to the team from the Big 12 I think should be playing in the NCG, and against the player I thought should have won the Heisman. But we didn't get blown out like a lot of people expected, and we damn near won the game.

Speaking of USC, I think the Buckeyes need to take a page from their book. Tress changes his system depending on his players, mostly his QB's, talents.

Part of the reason USC has been so successful is because they have one system and they recruit guys that just fit that system. So they don't have a mismatch of a running QB behind an offensive line who isn't built for that type of QB style.

That was a big part of the offensive problems when Pryor took over. The offensive line was built for a pocket passing QB and a power run game. The offensive system was for that type of football. Now you're asking them to do things that they had not been asked to do all year.

JT needs to get an offensive coordinator and let the OC call the plays. Keep veto power in case you really dont like what's called, but don't veto everything because you wanna call the plays.

I just feel bad for this awesome class of seniors. They end up leaving Ohio State with the stigma that they can't win the big game.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 09:21 AM
The thing is OSU has never really recruited blue chip QB's before. Zwick was the closest we'd seen, and he was a bit of a bust. It really makes no sense because the Buckeyes are a premier, perennial top-5 program, and they should be able to lure top QB prospects every year, not just this one. It's almost like it was de-prioritized.

atlsteelers
01-06-2009, 09:37 AM
when ohio state goes for two why does tress call a fade with pryor who has problems with accuracy instead of letting pryor use his legs to get the two points. it seems to me that tress is forcing things with pryor. overall a good game and OSU should be happy with how they played. The played much better than most of the big 10 teams who stunk it up this bowl season.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm sure he executed better in practice.

Trust me, the gameplanning yesterday was 1000X more creative than normal Tress. The PSU game come to mind where we just completely sold out that we were running every 1st and 2nd down. I like that they are giving Pryor the whole playbook to work with...it'll pay big dividends next year.

Dino 6 Rings
01-06-2009, 12:04 PM
the only thing I learned from this game was that the OSU Linebackers were slower than I thought.

They needed a play on defense late in the game and didn't make it. They could have won that game, but didn't make the play when they had to. Reminded me of the Steelers driving 92 yards on the Ravens. If you're going to tout your defense, you better prevent a team from a long drive to win the game late. OSU didn't.

And for the record, I was cheering for OSU.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Wow, that's really interesting, because as I was watching, I thought the exact opposite! Texas is LOADED with speed and I didn't once think that they had any kind of edge at all speed-wise...it's a common misconception that the Buckeyes lack speed. They are as fast as any SEC team EXCEPT on the lines, where bigger bodies are valued more for running and smashmouth football (although that is slowly changing too).

OSU's D is uber fast all around, even on the line. They held an offense that averages 44 points a game to 10 points for 59:44, and it wasn't like Texas wasn't executing.

Both Marcus Freeman and Laurnaitis will play on Sundays, and both will be dominant. Freeman is vastly underrated because he plays next to little Animal.

atlsteelers
01-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Wow, that's really interesting, because as I was watching, I thought the exact opposite! Texas is LOADED with speed and I didn't once think that they had any kind of edge at all speed-wise...it's a common misconception that the Buckeyes lack speed. They are as fast as any SEC team EXCEPT on the lines, where bigger bodies are valued more for running and smashmouth football (although that is slowly changing too).

have to disagree with on this one. OSU is probally just as fast as any SEC school on the premiter and we are much faster on the interior lines but its not because our interior lineman lack size they can play smashmouth football just as well as anybody else. If you compare OSU lines with Florida's you will not see any signficant difference in size and weight. They can just get up and move for big being such big dudes.

i also thought they backers for OSU were slow too. Heyward is grew up in Ga but even he looked lost on a couple of plays.

revefsreleets
01-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Well, they play a 4-3, and 2 of those 3 LB's will prove the haters wrong next year on Sunday's.

Guarantee it. You don't hold Texas to 17 with a slow front 7.

atlsteelers
01-11-2009, 11:48 AM
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/sports/football/Vernon-Gholston-Is-Still-Trying-to-Shake-That-Bust-Label.html

Vernon Gholston Still Trying to Shake That Bust Label

revefsreleets
01-11-2009, 05:38 PM
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/sports/football/Vernon-Gholston-Is-Still-Trying-to-Shake-That-Bust-Label.html

Vernon Gholston Still Trying to Shake That Bust Label

I wasn't aware that Gholston played in this years Fiesta Bowl. Your argument makes as much sense as saying that Tebow sucks because Chad Jackson is a shitty NFL WR. Different years, different positions, and completely irrelevant.

Anyone want to make a friendly wager as to how successful Laurinaitis is in the NFL?

atlsteelers
01-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Laurinaitis - his draft stock is falling - he should have came out last year. he has trouble shedding blocks and is not that physical. he probally will still go in the first round but will not be the first LB taken in this draft - he will probally be a servicable pro level player like poslusny

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Alright there, Mel Kiper. This one is easy. You'll be wrong, and soon...

atlsteelers
01-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock? Just relaying what i have read. But just look at willie parker and james harrison. Its all guess work.

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Katzenmoyer was too slow. He was overrated, but Lil Animal is IMHO the best LB the Buckeyes have ever produced, and they have produced some good ones. Randy Gradishar, Tom Cousineau, Chris Speilman, and AJ Hawk just to name a few. He'll surpass all of them.

steelerbuckeye
02-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh man there is actually a thread about this game?

All I can say is bad coaching lost them that game along with their last 2 BCS games. I don't think I've seen a coach get out-coached like Tressel since Stoops.

"Hey it's 4th and 10. Let's just leave 1 safety in the open field and blitz everyone else which has clearly not been working in obvious passing situations all game".

Worst part about that game was just the fact that the seniors had to go out like that but I'm definitely interested to see how they pan out in the pros. Jenkins will easily be the best one.

revefsreleets
02-24-2009, 06:50 PM
That's the same formula that worked many times before. Texas is a really good team, though. They'd have handed the Bulldogs a 4 TD loss...

At least you watched part of the game by now. Congrats! UT cut it close by "sleepwalking" to victory...they only woke up with 16 seconds left.:blah:

We get it. You hate the Buckeyes and the Big Ten. Get in line....

steelerbuckeye
02-24-2009, 09:27 PM
I hate Tressel right now more than I think I hated Cooper. At least in his time, the Michigan teams were much better and the Big Ten was actually a solid OOC threat. Also, you didn't have the media constantly sucking the SEC's wang.