PDA

View Full Version : The dream draft to me this year

Dylan
01-05-2009, 08:09 PM
would be

1st round: Duke Robinson
2nd round: Alex Boone

although i loved the draft last year of rashard mendenhall and limas sweed, i dont hope we get the sexy picks this year. if it were me lineman with the first 2 picks and d lineman and cornerbacks for the rest, but those first two picks would be a dream if that happened

BehindSteelCurtain
01-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I think they go Line with first 2 picks. I think I see a priority going into every draft and this poor O-line has to stop.

2007: LBs: Timmons and Woodley
2008: Offensive players: Mendenhall and Sweed
2009: I would love to get 2 offensive lineman.

SaskSteeler
01-07-2009, 06:23 PM
I think the sexy players this year are the o-line. I think there is an abundance of quality o-line this year and we really need to take advantage of this and get our line set for the next few years

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2009, 07:36 PM
My first 4 dream picks would be

Duke Robinson-OG Oklahoma
Russel Okung- OT OK St.
Jarron Gilbert-DE- St Jose St
Eric Wood- C Louisville

Texasteel
01-08-2009, 06:11 PM
I really do like you picks Gonzo, but still think I would switch the OG and C pick, I think you can fill in the names.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I really do like you picks Gonzo, but still think I would switch the OG and C pick, I think you can fill in the names. I got ya, but I dont think Vasquez is gonna last to the end of the 3rd. I'm OK with either of those though.

lilyoder6
01-08-2009, 06:26 PM
i don't think that duke robinson will be there for us to draft.. i was thinking of max unger..

but b4 i make my mock draft i'm waiting til sr bowl and the combine..

rem last yr when the kid that play cb tore his knee up..

MDSteel15
01-09-2009, 01:45 AM
My first 4 dream picks would be

Duke Robinson-OG Oklahoma
Russel Okung- OT OK St.
Jarron Gilbert-DE- St Jose St
Eric Wood- C Louisville

Sorry Gonzo, but after watching the championship game, I think we need to take Phil Loadholt, Ciron Black or Michael Oher to play LT! Whichever is the first available.

Go with Alex Mack or Max Unger in the second at center.... unless DE Tyson Jackson is still there when we pick....

Herman Johnson would be a good gaurd too....

And how about WR Juaquin Iglesias as our future replacement-for-Hines-in-waiting?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Sorry Gonzo, but after watching the championship game, I think we need to take Phil Loadholt, Ciron Black or Michael Oher to play LT! Whichever is the first available.

Go with Alex Mack or Max Unger in the second at center.... unless DE Tyson Jackson is still there when we pick....

Herman Johnson would be a good gaurd too....

And how about WR Juaquin Iglesias as our future replacement-for-Hines-in-waiting?
You just named my all time worst draft nightmare.

Max Unger in the bowl game and reg season game against Cal got pushed into the backfield much like Sean Mahan did all last season....I dont want him as a Steeler, unless its to play RT.

Ciron Black I watched several times and he lacks lateral quickness to pass block. He honestly looked like a decent run blocker that may move to Guard at the NFL, but should stay in school.

Herman Johnson is huge, but the slowest guy on the field and he doesnt bend at the knees or waist to get under his blocker. I think he tries to drop 20lbs and play RT.

Tyson Jackson in the 4 LSU games I saw tries to handfight the blocker in pass rush, he looks like he is playing pattycake with the blocker. Ole Miss put a tight end on him one on one and handled him. When he does engage the blocker in run plays I see glimpses of power, but for the most part I think he is very overrated.

Alex Mack, I love his game.

Godfather
01-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Tyson Jackson in the 4 LSU games I saw tries to handfight the blocker in pass rush, he looks like he is playing pattycake with the blocker. Ole Miss put a tight end on him one on one and handled him. When he does engage the blocker in run plays I see glimpses of power, but for the most part I think he is very overrated.

It pains me to say this as an LSU fan, but you're right. Opposing quarterbacks had time to make a sandwich before almost every pass this year.

I don't think we need to worry about the D-line yet, though. I want our picks to be LT, LG, C, RG, and RT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-10-2009, 01:08 PM
It pains me to say this as an LSU fan, but you're right. Opposing quarterbacks had time to make a sandwich before almost every pass this year.

What do you think of Jackson against the run?? I saw him a couple times drop his shoulder, rip thru and blow up the play, but other times I see him do the same thing and guess the wrong hole......taking himself completely out of the play.

As an LSU fan, what do you think Jackson's strengths are?? Do you think he would be a good 3-4 DE like Smith, Keisel, VonOlhoffen??

Dylan
01-10-2009, 08:42 PM
What do you think of Jackson against the run?? I saw him a couple times drop his shoulder, rip thru and blow up the play, but other times I see him do the same thing and guess the wrong hole......taking himself completely out of the play.

As an LSU fan, what do you think Jackson's strengths are?? Do you think he would be a good 3-4 DE like Smith, Keisel, VonOlhoffen??

according to some scouting reports i read on jackson, experts say he could flourish in a 3-4 defense. a lot of experts also say he would be a good fit for pittsburgh.

but like i said we need oline oline oline and o yeah oline

lilyoder6
01-10-2009, 09:15 PM
if there is another red light button pushed on o-line like last yr.. i wouldn't mind getting jackson instead of reaching on a o-line in the 1st

Godfather
01-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Hard to say. LSU uses a 4-3 and it's hard to translate what I saw into what would happen with a 3-4. Especially since I was watching to root for the team instead of scout individual players...I can say he's good against the run because I don't remember any games where we had an opposing RB run all over us. Our big problems were Jarret Lee throwing pick-sixes and our inability to pressure the QB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2009, 12:16 PM
according to some scouting reports i read on jackson, experts say he could flourish in a 3-4 defense. a lot of experts also say he would be a good fit for pittsburgh.

I would re-read those reports and see when they were written. I think Jackson got a lot of hype early in the season. I specifically watched him in at least 3 games and never understood why the hype.

Here is what Tony Pauline wrote about him on Dec 24th and I tend to agree with it.

Tyson Jackson/DE/#93/LSU: Jackson is a three-year starter and a force on the field when focused on the task at hand. He's very athletic with terrific size (6-4 and 297-pound) and offers the ability to be used in a conventional system or as a two gap end. Jackson shows flashes of brilliance then disappears for stretches, something that concerns NFL decision makers. He's a first round talent but will be branded as a boom or bust prospect.
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/web/COM1150124/12/index.htm

SunshineMan21
01-12-2009, 01:52 PM
I want Mack or Robinson. Would love to get a top tackle like Oher or Monroe, but no way they're available at the bottom of the first.

Godfather
01-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Ciron Black is out of the picture. He's staying for his senior season per the local news.

Preacher
01-15-2009, 05:03 AM
bump

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Ciron Black is out of the picture. He's staying for his senior season per the local news.

Good decision for Black. Some reports had him given a 2nd round grade from the advisory board, but he honestly looked more like a guard in the games I saw him this season.

Another year might help him be a top 30 selection next season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Herman Johnson is huge, but the slowest guy on the field and he doesnt bend at the knees or waist to get under his blocker. I think he tries to drop 20lbs and play RT.

Looks like Herman Johnson is showing that he may struggle big time in the NFL.

Herman Johnson/OL/LSU: Johnson has lined up at both his natural position of guard as well as right tackle. His size (6-feet-7, 382 pounds) has not transitioned into the ability to dominate the opposition. Johnson's immobility is obvious to all and at one point he was knocked to the ground due to his inability to move. Much was expected from Johnson this week but he has not responded and his draft stock is plummeting. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/20/senior.bowl.day2/index.html

Like I said before, dont want Johnson or Max Unger. Overrated.

St33lersguy
01-21-2009, 06:26 PM
I know this is just wishful thinking and there is no realistic chance of this happening but if the Steelers landed Jason or Andre Smith it will be the luckiest thing to ever happen to the Steelers on draft day since landing Big Ben

Texasteel
01-21-2009, 07:51 PM

He really should that in today Senor Bowl practice. If someone gets a step on him he'll have to hold him to stop him.

Steelers Since '75
01-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Here is what I am hoping for... I wouldn't be opposed to taking Mack in the first either.

RD1: Duke Robinson G
RD2: Jonathon Luigs C
RD3: Fenuki Topou T
RD3s: Chris Baker DT
RD4: Robert Ayers DE
RD5: Javorski Lane FB
RD6: Glover Quin CB
RD7: Jamarko Simmons WR

Texasteel
01-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Here is what I am hoping for... I wouldn't be opposed to taking Mack in the first either.

RD1: Duke Robinson G
RD2: Jonathon Luigs C
RD3: Fenuki Topou T
RD3s: Chris Baker DT
RD4: Robert Ayers DE
RD5: Javorski Lane FB
RD6: Glover Quin CB
RD7: Jamarko Simmons WR

I've come to the realization that we need a safety, Clark plays bigger than his body, and someday will just give out, and I we are getting weak behind him.

Steelers Since '75
01-22-2009, 08:43 AM
I've come to the realization that we need a safety, Clark plays bigger than his body, and someday will just give out, and I we are getting weak behind him.

I thought about that as well... obviously Anthony Smith is not the solution. I still feel that 2 o-lineman and 2 d-lineman are a necessity above and beyond FS... maybe instead of drafting Topou in the 3rd we instead look for a steal like Sean Smith or a small reach for Nic Harris who has the big hit potential and instead pick up a good OT like Jordan Gross in free agency.