PDA

View Full Version : No. 4 Chargers at No. 2 Steelers By Vic Carucci

mesaSteeler
01-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Defenses take center stage in AFC Divisional Playoffs
Vic Carucci
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=09000d5d80de3047&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

No. 4 Chargers at No. 2 Steelers, Sunday, 4:30 p.m. ET

The Steelers beat the Chargers 11-10 on Nov. 16 at Pittsburgh. What made the score a bit of a surprise is that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw for 308 yards but no touchdowns, and Willie Parker ran for 115 yards but never reached the end zone.

The health of two key players on both sides will get plenty of attention this week.

LaDainian Tomlinson's groin injury limited his play against the Colts on Saturday, but it opened the door for his exceptionally quick and talented backup, Darren Sproles, to show his stuff. Sproles' outside speed was surprisingly effective against the Colts' defense, which is designed to handle quicker backs, but the Steelers have much more talented athletes and should be able to make it harder for Sproles to break the long runs he had against Indy.

Roethlisberger's health will be one of the biggest stories heading into the game. He's expected to play but didn't practice last week after suffering a nasty concussion in the Steelers' regular-season finale against the Browns. If Big Ben is healthy, he's capable of managing the game well, even if he doesn't throw any touchdown passes, which was the essence of his performance when the teams previously met.

Regardless of Roethlisberger's health, the Steelers will look to establish a fairly strong running game, with Parker leading the way. The Chargers did a pretty decent job in shutting down the run in the regular season (102.6 yards per game), and on Saturday, the Colts managed just 64 yards on the ground against them.

The Steelers' offensive line, which has struggled in pass protection all season, could have issues trying to stop the Chargers' blitzing defense. Of course, Hines Ward and Heath Miller do a nice job of finding holes in coverage when the blitz is coming.

An extra week of rest figures to give the Steelers an advantage because the Chargers were forced into overtime against the Colts and have to travel cross-country. The Chargers were 1-3 this season when traveling to the Eastern time zone.

How the remaining AFC teams' defenses stack up
Team Overall (YPG) Pass (YPG) Rush (YPG)
Pittsburgh No. 1 (237.2) No. 1 (156.9) No. 2 (80.2)
Baltimore No. 2 (261.1) No. 2 (179.7) No. 3 (81.4)
Tennessee No. 7 (293.6) No. 9 (199.8) No. 6 (93.9)
San Diego No. 25 (349.9) No. 31 (247.4) No. 11 (102.6)

Matchups to watch

Roethlisberger vs. the Chargers' front seven: Although Roethlisberger is expected to play, he could wind up making an early exit if the Chargers are able to deliver hard hits on him. And, because of his poor protection, Big Ben has been taking a lot of hard hits all season. Look for the Steelers to try to keep the ball on the ground as much as possible to minimize unfavorable down-and-distance situations.

Philip Rivers vs. the Steelers' defense: As the Chargers' quarterback demonstrated with his two interceptions in the teams' previous meeting, he has issues when being pressured and when facing the Steelers' complicated zone-blitzing scheme. Rivers will have to spend a great deal of time this week studying the many nuances of the Steelers' defense. Rivers must look for his opportunities to exploit seams that tight end Antonio Gates will consistently find, as he did against the Colts. If Tomlinson isn't healthy, Rivers also will need a big performance from Sproles as both a runner and a receiver.

Chargers punter Mike Scifres vs. Steelers' special teams: In San Diego's wild-card victory over Indianapolis, the rest of the country got to see what the Chargers have known all along -- they have a tremendous weapon in Scifres. His ultra-strong leg and incredible hang time allowed him to consistently pin the Colts deep in their own territory, giving the Chargers favorable field position throughout the game. Although the Steelers had a 92-yard drive to beat the Ravens to clinch the AFC North, they aren't a team that can make a habit of successfully negotiating such marathon marches. Scifres' leg literally led the Chargers to one playoff victory. Can it happen twice?

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Ben's injury may be a strategic blessing.

If the Steelers can commit to the run game and get it rolling they can work the play-action. I would love to see some more I-form.

With our defense, I imagine we will not get into a situation where we don't have to abandon the run early.

jjpro11
01-05-2009, 09:00 PM
you can pretty much throw every match up out the window. the game is going to come down to how ben plays following his concussion. im really not worried about anything else.. special teams, defense, sproles, rivers.. none of that scares me except ben..

realdeal
01-05-2009, 09:47 PM
you can pretty much throw every match up out the window. the game is going to come down to how ben plays following his concussion. im really not worried about anything else.. special teams, defense, sproles, rivers.. none of that scares me except ben..

Exactly! It's amazing how Ben can look like Joe Montana in one game and Kordell Stewart in the next.

Ben will either win or lose this game for us.

joeyssteelcurtain
01-05-2009, 11:07 PM
100 % right its all on ben ever one remembers the raiders game

Steelman16
01-06-2009, 02:39 AM
Anybody ready for Willie to bust down on his haters?

:popcorn:

redst3
01-06-2009, 04:58 AM
Good article. I didnt realize the Chargers had that good of a pass rush. Its defintely an area of concern with our O-Line

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2009, 05:05 AM
scifres had an amazing game and like vic said, single handedly won it for the chargers...

however i doubt he can have the game he did in pittsburgh with the weather being a factor...

if scifres does end up doing his thing and pinning us inside our own 10... i have doubts as to whether we'll be able to mount any sort of offensive threat...

markymarc
01-06-2009, 09:17 AM
And I guarantee that Rivers won't see the same defense he saw the last game. LeBeau will have something new for him in Sunday's game. And of course the other key to the game is Ben.

Jammer
01-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Pittsburgh got three rivers...

San Diego only need one :)

baphamet
01-06-2009, 12:11 PM
scifres had an amazing game and like vic said, single handedly won it for the chargers...

however i doubt he can have the game he did in pittsburgh with the weather being a factor...

if scifres does end up doing his thing and pinning us inside our own 10... i have doubts as to whether we'll be able to mount any sort of offensive threat...

yeah.....stop scifres and you win the game? :rofl:

i don't think any player single handedly wins games and if i had to pick an MVP from that game it wouldn't be him, it would be sproles.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 12:12 PM
yeah.....stop scifres and you win the game? :rofl:

i don't think any player single handedly wins games and if i had to pick an MVP from that game it wouldn't be him, it would be sproles.

I hope to see Scifres plenty - that kinda means you'll be punting all day.

baphamet
01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I hope to see Scifres plenty - that kinda means you'll be punting all day.

i am sure you will see him plenty, just like we will see yours....whoever he is.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 12:16 PM
i am sure you will see him plenty, just like we will see yours....whoever he is.

What, before or after we roll up 400+ yards of offense against you? Maybe this time the zebras won't take TDs we score off the board like they did last time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 12:40 PM
ITs not all gonna be on Ben. He will have to make some plays, but there will have to be a balanced contribution from Parker, Moore, Miller, Ward and the Defense.

I like our chances.

baphamet
01-06-2009, 12:49 PM
What, before or after we roll up 400+ yards of offense against you? Maybe this time the zebras won't take TDs we score off the board like they did last time.

if you believe that it will happen like that again, by all means get your hopes up steelers fan. :wink02:

no you are right, you wont be punting the ball at all in this game, the horrid chargers D just cant and wont stop your high powered offense. :laughing:

Danger DANJ
01-06-2009, 01:12 PM
if you believe that it will happen like that again, by all means get your hopes up steelers fan. :wink02:

no you are right, you wont be punting the ball at all in this game, the horrid chargers D just cant and wont stop your high powered offense. :laughing:

I recall gaining over 400 yards of offense against the Chargers last time. The Steelers offense may not have been scoring a lot this season, but they can move the ball against the Chargers just fine! Even if they falter in the red zone, the D will be rested to come back out and crush the Chargers O again and again! I doubt the Chargers even score on offense. I smell a shutout.

baphamet
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
I recall gaining over 400 yards of offense against the Chargers last time. The Steelers offense may not have been scoring a lot this season, but they can move the ball against the Chargers just fine! Even if they falter in the red zone, the D will be rested to come back out and crush the Chargers O again and again! I doubt the Chargers even score on offense. I smell a shutout.

LOL i am sure you do, the chargers defense are exactly like you saw last time. they haven't gotten any better and the exact same thing that happened earlier this year will happen again. :blah:

that is exactly what most the fans here keep trying to convince themselves, its hilarious. i sure hope your fans eat your crow when your are wrong, and you will be.

not saying the chargers will win but i am saying its going to be a close game down to the wire or an unlikely blowout by SD, the chargers just don't get blown out, by anybody.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 01:44 PM
not saying the chargers will win but i am saying its going to be a close game down to the wire or an unlikely blowout by SD, the chargers just don't get blown out, by anybody.

Then why the hell are you here? I mean seriously, if your a fan of a team - of course you think they are going to win and yes you are saying they are going to win. If not, then why the hell are you a fan?

This game could easily be a blowout as much as it could possibly be a last second FG that wins it.

But since you aren't saying the chargers are going to win it must mean it's time to:

:wave: :troll: :thumbsup:

baphamet
01-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Then why the hell are you here? I mean seriously, if your a fan of a team - of course you think they are going to win and yes you are saying they are going to win. If not, then why the hell are you a fan?

This game could easily be a blowout as much as it could possibly be a last second FG that wins it.

But since you aren't saying the chargers are going to win it must mean it's time to:

:wave: :troll: :thumbsup:

i am here to talk football with steelers fans, i don't predict the chargers to win every game, whats the point in that?

because i am chargers fan i should believe they will win every game and because your a steelers fan you should believe you will win all of yours?

whats the point of even talking about the game then? take off the homer glasses for just a second and lets talk some football, shall we? :wink02:

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 02:14 PM
not saying the chargers will win....

That's ALL you've been saying - and what's more, you're using a LOSS from earlier in the season to justify your "point." It's getting tiresome. :coffee:

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 02:19 PM
i am here to talk football with steelers fans, i don't predict the chargers to win every game, whats the point in that?

because i am chargers fan i should believe they will win every game and because your a steelers fan you should believe you will win all of yours?

whats the point of even talking about the game then? take off the homer glasses for just a second and lets talk some football, shall we? :wink02:

Yes I do believe that the Steelers will win every game. When I sit down on game day that is what I expect from my team. I know it's not reality but it's the way that I believe a fan should be on every game. No doubt that my team can kick the living crap out of your team on every Sunday!

I can talk football and still keep my glasses on. I can look at my team and see their weaknesses, I can look at the chargers and see how they've been playing for the last 5 weeks. We can talk history, stats, intangibles, etc. So when you're ready - let's go. Because from what I've seen from your posts you haven't been talking much football - just a lot of hot air smack.

baphamet
01-06-2009, 02:20 PM
That's ALL you've been saying - and what's more, you're using a LOSS from earlier in the season to justify your "point." It's getting tiresome. :coffee:

uhh you are misquoting me, i never said that once actually. my point is you are not going to face the same team you did the first time, defensively at least.

you seem to think you are going to rack up 400+ yards again and troy will score another TD in the last second of the game.

i think its going to be a war down to the wire, you think its going to be exactly like last game.....we are going to find out.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 02:25 PM
uhh you are misquoting me, i never said that once actually.

Word of the day for you: implication.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 02:34 PM
uhh you are misquoting me, i never said that once actually. my point is you are not going to face the same team you did the first time, defensively at least.

you seem to think you are going to rack up 400+ yards again and troy will score another TD in the last second of the game.

i think its going to be a war down to the wire, you think its going to be exactly like last game.....we are going to find out.

In your other post you mentioned talking about football so let me lay this out here for you. There are two paths you can go right now:

1) You continue down the one your on and you'll prove you are a :troll:
2) You actually bring some intellectual insight to the conversation and show that you know the game

It's your choice.

baphamet
01-06-2009, 03:19 PM
In your other post you mentioned talking about football so let me lay this out here for you. There are two paths you can go right now:

1) You continue down the one your on and you'll prove you are a :troll:
2) You actually bring some intellectual insight to the conversation and show that you know the game

It's your choice.

just curious, how exactly am i being a troll? would it make you feel better if i said the chargers will dominate? :confused:

i think i have already brought intelligent insight to the table, but you seem to want something els. besides, i don't need you steelers fans approval to justify that i know the game, i know i do.

but lets get back on track here, my issue is your fans thinking its going to be exactly like last game. Ive already said why i think you guys are wrong.

i thinks it is going to be a war on Sunday, not guaranteeing a chargers win but i like our chances considering the way our guys are playing right now.

baphamet
01-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Word of the day for you: implication.

nor did i imply it, try reading what i am saying instead of believing what you think i am saying. i think it is you that is trying to imply that i am saying something i am not.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 03:24 PM
i think i have already brought intelligent insight to the table....

Trust me, you haven't. You really haven't. :coffee:

nothing has to concern you, the steelers have it wrapped up already....the chargers don't stand a chance. :fro:

love these smiles you guys have here!

yes the chargers WR's don't have a chance at completing a pass against your unstoppable defense, rivers will get sacked on every play.....book it!

#63 the steelers just cant be beat, might as well put the sucky raiders out there against them.......:chuckle:

baphamet
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Trust me, you haven't. You really haven't. :coffee:

what about the rest of my posts? sorry but i couldn't help but laugh at some of the stuff around here. :laughing:

but i guess misquoting me is what you consider "intelligent" football discussion, eh?

can we get off this and talk football? if i wanted to argue about things like this i would go to the donkey forums.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
yeah.....stop scifres and you win the game?

if you believe that it will happen like that again, by all means get your hopes up steelers fan.

no you are right, you wont be punting the ball at all in this game, the horrid chargers D just cant and wont stop your high powered offense.

LOL i am sure you do, the chargers defense are exactly like you saw last time. they haven't gotten any better and the exact same thing that happened earlier this year will happen again.

that is exactly what most the fans here keep trying to convince themselves, its hilarious. i sure hope your fans eat your crow when your are wrong, and you will be.

Haven't seen any intellectual insight to the game in any of the above posts - if it sounds like a :troll:, smells like a :troll:, then class IT MUST BE A :troll:

besides, i don't need you steelers fans approval to justify that i know the game, i know i do.

Obviously you need something from Steelers fans or you wouldn't have brought yourself here.

i thinks it is going to be a war on Sunday, not guaranteeing a chargers win but i like our chances considering the way our guys are playing right now.

I've never said as a fan to guarentee a win but instead to expect a win. But again, no intellectual insight to the chess match that will occur on Sunday and instead just more drivel :troll:

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 03:34 PM
what about the rest of my posts? sorry but i couldn't help but laugh at some of the stuff around here. :laughing:

but i guess misquoting me is what you consider "intelligent" football discussion, eh?

can we get off this and talk football? if i wanted to argue about things like this i would go to the donkey forums.

How is it misquoting when it's a direct quote?

I'm still waiting for you to drop one iota of intellectual footbal conversation on this forum. Please on enlightened one bask us in your football knowledge that we may become all the wiser.

From the looks of it you are sticking pathway #1 - :troll:

Danger DANJ
01-06-2009, 04:08 PM
LOL i am sure you do, the chargers defense are exactly like you saw last time. they haven't gotten any better and the exact same thing that happened earlier this year will happen again. :blah:

Aside from beating the Colts last week, I have yet to see a difference in the Chargers defense. I truly believe they haven't gotten better, just played teams that weren't playing well. The Broncos, the Bucs, the Chiefs and the Raiders. All teams that were playing horrible offensively. The game before those you lost to the Falcons who put up 348 yards of offense in a similar manner to what the Steelers did, just that they scored TDs. As for beating the Colts, it always seems that the Chargers have the Colts number in the playoffs. So, I see no reason why the Steelers can't move the ball again for close to 400 yards of offense. Obviously anything can happen. Ben can throw a bunch of INTs and perhaps the Chargers will bring it, but I really like the chances to do the same as last time.

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 04:14 PM

i think its going to be a war down to the wire, you think its going to be exactly like last game.....we are going to find out.actually we think the steelers are gonna score. everybody scores atleast 20 points on the chargers. well everybody but the raiders.

what makes you think you guys have changed so much that your team will move the ball on the greatest defense this league has ever seen (:chuckle: well atleast recently)?

Binary Bolt Fan
01-06-2009, 04:59 PM
actually we think the steelers are gonna score. everybody scores atleast 20 points on the chargers. well everybody but the raiders.

what makes you think you guys have changed so much that your team will move the ball on the greatest defense this league has ever seen (:chuckle: well at least recently)?You guy's crack me up.

Good defense ya got. I just looked at your schedule and didn't see any shutouts.

So now the #1 ranked QB in the league is coming in and he can't score?

I wouldn't expect you Steelers fans to know the ins and outs of the Chargers season, so here's my offering:

in the first 8 games of the season, our defense was ranked near dead last.
Since Rivera took over, they would of ranked 10th if you could throw out the first 8. As they're working with Rivera, their preparation, recognition execution have been growing stronger.

With Indy they took on the NFL's hottest offense and held them to 10 meaningful points and gave up another 7 on an ultra fast snap that caught Cromartie looking at the sidelines instead of the Reggie Wayne. The Steelers won't get that type of easy TD. If Sproles doesn't fumble into the endzone on one series, the game isn't close.

Your running game has been sporadic and poor Ben has taken a serious beating behind that line of yours this year. (and please, honor him by not denying it!) How many games did Ben win in the final minutes this year? If not for a few breaks here and there (and your great defense), the Steelers are 9-7 and the Chargers are10-6.

These two teams are a closer match than many of you think. Shutout? ...yeah, right!

Other side of the ball;
You do remember having first and goal at the two, right? 4 downs and give it back to the Chargers. Chargers run D is MUCH, MUCH better now that Jamal Williams got his knees back from offseason surgery. Also, Oshansky and Castillo were called out in the locker room for poor preparation and play. They've stepped it up.

Cromartie played with a hip injury most of the season. His confidence was gone during that time. He's getting stronger and is probably at his best health all season. Whilhelm has been benched and Dobbins (#51) is now comfortable at MLB.

What does all this spell? I think we should all expect another game like the first one (with perhaps a bit more scoring). I think for the Steelers to win, they'll have to do it the same way they did against the Ravens - with a late game surge. The Chargers lost at least 4 games by allowing their opponents to score on the final drives of both halves. Can the Steelers do that?? We'll see. I realize the Chargers are the underdogs, but they have a decent chance to make it 3-0 in the playoffs at Pittsburg. :noidea:

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
You guy's crack me up.

Good defense ya got. I just looked at your schedule and didn't see any shutouts.

So now the #1 ranked QB in the league is coming in and he can't score?

I wouldn't expect you Steelers fans to know the ins and outs of the Chargers season, so here's my offering:

in the first 8 games of the season, our defense was ranked near dead last.
Since Rivera took over, they would of ranked 10th if you could throw out the first 8. :our defense was ranked number 1 all season. you could pick our worst 8 games, throw them out and we would still be ranked #1. infact, we were number one last year too. its no accident.

the number one qb in the league came in week 11 and we stuffed him and held him to a league low 44. passer rating and 164 yards. then we stuffed the patriots qb who was being called the hottest qb in the league. then we stuffed the next flavor of the week- tony romo. brandon jacobs was called the scarriest runner. we stuffed him. portis was projected to be the league leader-stuffed. league leading wr andre johnson-stuffed. moss, moss, plex, housh, edwards, jackson, TO- stuffed, stuffed, stuffed, stuffed, etc.

steelers dont care about the worlds greatest offense because lebeau has a plan and we will shut them down. thats just how it works. this years team is just that good. all the players believe that. :noidea: they have an attitude that they will not be denied.

i mean san diego is a good team, but its hard to be overly impressed. the steelers are great.

steel striker
01-06-2009, 10:15 PM
It should be a close game for about an half I see the steelers taking over the game in the second half. The chargers are good but, I don't see the bolts running very well and, I don't see Rivers having time to make plays in the passing game. I think the steelers will be able to run the ball enough with Ben making some plays in the passing game to get the win.

boltsfan4life
01-07-2009, 01:58 AM
c'mon let our bolts have one superbowl at least while we still have LT, you guys got ben and got a ring, giants got that dumb a$$ maning and he somehow got a ring, we got rivers and he had the highest passer rating this year and our chargers are having a miracle end of season run, i think we deserve this, but if you dont think so, i hope the game on sunday is awsome, i hope the chargers win, but if we dont, i hope the right team does, meaning i hope you win it all, so we know at least we lost to the champs... Go Bolts

Polamalu43
01-07-2009, 02:00 AM
c'mon let our bolts have one superbowl at least while we still have LT, you guys got ben and got a ring, giants got that dumb a$$ maning and he somehow got a ring, we got rivers and he had the highest passer rating this year and our chargers are having a miracle end of season run, i think we deserve this, but if you dont think so, i hope the game on sunday is awsome, i hope the chargers win, but if we dont, i hope the right team does, meaning i hope you win it all, so we know at least we lost to the champs... Go Bolts

:rofl::tt03::tt::tt02::flap:

boltsfan4life
01-07-2009, 02:03 AM
oh and some fun (inocent) stats/patterns
chargers vs broncos #1 lost by 1
chargers vs broncos #2 won by 31

chargers vs colts #1 lost by 3?
chargers vs colts #2 won by 6

chargers vs steelers #1 lost by 1
chargers vs steelers #2 (if the pattern continues, we should win by 20+. not saying it will of course)

chargers 2006, 14-2 (no playoff wins)
chargers 2007, 11-5 (2 playoff wins)
chargers 2008, 8-8 (if the pattern continues, we should be coming home with the trophy)

just having some fun, i'd like to hear cool steelers facts why they should win

Steelman16
01-07-2009, 02:05 AM

chargers vs steelers #2 (if the pattern continues, we should win by 20+. not saying it will of course)

chargers 2008, 8-8 (if the pattern continues, we should be coming home with the trophy)

#1 Defense.

Do I need to say more?

We do go on a lot of 3 game win streaks. Which means we'll go to the Super Bowl and lose. :chuckle:

boltsfan4life
01-07-2009, 02:05 AM

Polamalu43
01-07-2009, 02:08 AM

:toofunny::rofl::laughing::chuckle:

baphamet
01-07-2009, 02:19 AM
How is it misquoting when it's a direct quote?

I'm still waiting for you to drop one iota of intellectual footbal conversation on this forum. Please on enlightened one bask us in your football knowledge that we may become all the wiser.

From the looks of it you are sticking pathway #1 - :troll:

it wasn't a direct quote, scroll back and actually read this time. you keep calling me a troll, even though i keep trying tom change this to a football discussion.

this is really pointless and stupid that you keep this up.

SteelCityMom
01-07-2009, 02:21 AM

Well, we didn't lose to any of the teams in our division, so we don't have any stats to show how much we beat them by after we lost to them, but every team we played twice we either held them to as many or fewer points than the first time we played them.

Ravens: 23-20 then 13-9
Browns: 10-6 then 31-0
Bengals: 38-10 then 27-10

baphamet
01-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Aside from beating the Colts last week, I have yet to see a difference in the Chargers defense. I truly believe they haven't gotten better, just played teams that weren't playing well. The Broncos, the Bucs, the Chiefs and the Raiders. All teams that were playing horrible offensively. The game before those you lost to the Falcons who put up 348 yards of offense in a similar manner to what the Steelers did, just that they scored TDs. As for beating the Colts, it always seems that the Chargers have the Colts number in the playoffs. So, I see no reason why the Steelers can't move the ball again for close to 400 yards of offense. Obviously anything can happen. Ben can throw a bunch of INTs and perhaps the Chargers will bring it, but I really like the chances to do the same as last time.

i seen a post somewhere that proved the chargers are playing better defensively, at least statistically. they are something like 10th or 11th in total yards since Rivera took over.

i don't know how many chargers games you have watched, but you can see a big difference. they are a lot more physical now and they pressure the QB a little bit better too.

FSUBoo
01-07-2009, 03:26 AM
Pittsburgh got three rivers...

San Diego only need one :)

Yeah but look what happened to the other Rivers we faced, does a fractured jaw sound familiar?

LVSteelersfan
01-07-2009, 04:00 AM
Hate to tell you chump, but 10th or 11th is the worst defense in the playoffs right now. 10th or 11th defense gets you SQUAT. We could care less about your so called 10th ranked defense. Steelers #1 D. Ravens #2 D. Titans #3 D. Where does that leave your D chump?

i seen a post somewhere that proved the chargers are playing better defensively, at least statistically. they are something like 10th or 11th in total yards since Rivera took over.

i don't know how many chargers games you have watched, but you can see a big difference. they are a lot more physical now and they pressure the QB a little bit better too.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-07-2009, 04:32 AM
Ben just can't get careless. Ben is going to have to rise up.

redst3
01-07-2009, 04:34 AM
Hate to tell you chump, but 10th or 11th is the worst defense in the playoffs right now. 10th or 11th defense gets you SQUAT. We could care less about your so called 10th ranked defense. Steelers #1 D. Ravens #2 D. Titans #3 D. Where does that leave your D chump?

You might also mention the 8-8 record. I'm sure there are many teams that deserve to be champions with an 8-8 record, especially coming from such a wonderful division.

It really makes the trolls look smart, doesn't it? :tt02:

stlrtruck
01-07-2009, 08:55 AM
it wasn't a direct quote, scroll back and actually read this time. you keep calling me a troll, even though i keep trying tom change this to a football discussion.

this is really pointless and stupid that you keep this up.

Who is continuing what here? You keep mentioning you want to talk football :troll: but in not one of your posts do I see any sembelance of intelligent football talk.

So if you want to continue down the :troll: path, then by all means - please continue.

And you are right this is pointless and stupid that you continue to :troll: a Steelers Forum.

stlrtruck
01-07-2009, 08:58 AM

There are no gifts this time of year. You think we are content with just 5 - we want more. You see it's like a disease - once you get one, you want another, and another, and another!!!

Here's too a good game :drink: and no injuries :drink:

baphamet
01-07-2009, 12:59 PM

hate to break it to you, but #22 is the worst offense in the playoffs right now. you clearly missed the point i was making and are fixated on just defensive comparisons.

the chargers defense has improved, would you like to compare offenses now? i don't think that you do. :wink02:

baphamet
01-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Who is continuing what here? You keep mentioning you want to talk football :troll: but in not one of your posts do I see any sembelance of intelligent football talk.

So if you want to continue down the :troll: path, then by all means - please continue.

And you are right this is pointless and stupid that you continue to :troll: a Steelers Forum.

i keep having to answer to your whiny posts about me being a troll, just drop it already or i am just going to have to ignore you.

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 01:03 PM
hate to break it to you, but #22 is the worst offense in the playoffs right now. you clearly missed the point i was making and are fixated on just defensive comparisons.

the chargers defense has improved, would you like to compare offenses now? i don't think that you do. :wink02:steelers offense has improved.

to borrow a lame chargerfan argument- we scored 30 points in our last game :applaudit:.

#22 offense vs #25 defense = (you do the math)

Jammer
01-07-2009, 01:10 PM
steelers offense has improved.

to borrow a lame chargerfan argument- we scored 30 points in our last game :applaudit:.

Cleveland was playing very hard :tt:

baphamet
01-07-2009, 01:11 PM
steelers offense has improved.

not saying they haven't improved, its just funny when i try to prove a point that the defense has indeed improved, some steelers fan comes in here and turns it into a comparison between the steelers and chargers.

of course the steeler have the better defense, just like the chargers have the better offense.

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
not saying they haven't improved, its just funny when i try to prove a point that the defense has indeed improved, some steelers fan comes in here and turns it into a comparison between the steelers and chargers.

of course the steeler have the better defense, just like the chargers have the better offense.

Defense Wins Championships.

more than just a cliche.

Hammer67
01-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Seconded

stlrtruck
01-07-2009, 01:35 PM
i keep having to answer to your whiny posts about me being a troll, just drop it already or i am just going to have to ignore you.

Don't scare me with the ignore. Look dude you wouldn't have to answer the :troll: posts if you actually brought some actual discussion to the board.

You don't like it and I don't know what to tell ya. But I call em like I see em and all I've seen from you is :troll: posts.

Change your posts and you won't have to worry about being called a :troll:, got it :troll:

Good day :hatsoff: :wave:

Hammer67
01-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Don't scare me with the ignore. Look dude you wouldn't have to answer the :troll: posts if you actually brought some actual discussion to the board.

You don't like it and I don't know what to tell ya. But I call em like I see em and all I've seen from you is :troll: posts.

Change your posts and you won't have to worry about being called a :troll:, got it :troll:

Good day :hatsoff: :wave:

No worries...they will disappear after this coming weekend. LOL

jasonhightower
01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Did anyone notice the workload sort of taking a toll on Sproles last week? It will be interesting to see how he holds up against the Steel Curtain pounding as a primary back two weeks in a row. If in fact LT doesn't play.

SteelCityMom
01-07-2009, 02:13 PM

That's great that the defense has improved, good for them. It's just, how are we not supposed to compare the Steelers and Chargers when that is what this whole thread is about?

Our offense has already faced the most dominating defenses in the league, and won most of the matchups, they have been battle tested all year long in that regard.

I'm sure this is something the players and coaches have not glossed over though, I guarantee they are watching tapes from the second half of your season and from the Colts game to prepare for this Sunday. They will be prepared.

On the other hand, just to throw a question out there, besides the Steelers, what really dominating defenses have the Chargers offense had to overcome this year?

baphamet
01-07-2009, 02:38 PM
No worries...they will disappear after this coming weekend. LOL

yeah, either way i will be gone but i will be back after the game win or lose to say congrats or good game.

it really is a shame some of you are just interested in picking fights, i am not here for that, sorry to disappoint "some" of you. :coffee:

baphamet
01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
That's great that the defense has improved, good for them. It's just, how are we not supposed to compare the Steelers and Chargers when that is what this whole thread is about?

the thread was not just about comparing defenses, i don't think it is even arguable who has the better defense.

if you read the thread, a steelers fan said he doesn't think the chargers defense improved at all. i made a point that the defense was something like 10th or 11th in the league since Rivera took over.

all of sudden it became a defense comparison after that, as if i am saying the chargers defense is as good as the steelers. :noidea:

Our offense has already faced the most dominating defenses in the league, and won most of the matchups, they have been battle tested all year long in that regard.

I'm sure this is something the players and coaches have not glossed over though, I guarantee they are watching tapes from the second half of your season and from the Colts game to prepare for this Sunday. They will be prepared.

we will see, wont we? its not like the chargers are not watching tapes or planning on being prepared either?

that is why they play the games, i think both teams will be prepared.

On the other hand, just to throw a question out there, besides the Steelers, what really dominating defenses have the Chargers offense had to overcome this year?

none, unless you consider Tampa, their defense is good but not dominating. the chargers did light them up at their house though. :wink02:

stlrtruck
01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
yeah, either way i will be gone but i will be back after the game win or lose to say congrats or good game.

it really is a shame some of you are just interested in picking fights, i am not here for that, sorry to disappoint "some" of you. :coffee:

Yeah, and we're disappointed in a bunch of you. People aren't here to pick fights but instead trying to get you to bring some intellectual rhetoric about the game. Out of the lot of chargers fans, I've only seen two that have had an intellectual and thought out post about the game.

The others have been nothing but :troll: coming over pounding their chest - and that includes you.

I'm still waiting for you to bring some football knowledge to anyone of your posts - any of them. Please just once before this Sunday will you please bring something better than what you have the last few days. Bring some decent stats, information about your players - something, anything, but this lame attempt at football talk that you've had so far.

But just in case I miss your departure :wave: :troll:

stlrtruck
01-07-2009, 02:57 PM
none, unless you consider Tampa, their defense is good but not dominating. the chargers did light them up at their house though. :wink02:

While the bucs defense is still considered a top notch, it is clear to me that the team gave up the moment Monte mentioned he was gone at the end of the year. You could see it in the two games before they played you and it seemed at half time the defense could no longer, or didn't want to, play a full 60 minutes. Not taking anything away from the chargers and what they did to the bucs in Tampa - matter of fact I was laughing at all the bucs fans that Monday - but I wouldn't call them a top #10 defense anymore. According to this website http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2008/opp.htm the bucs are at #10.

The Steelers have faced the 2-9 defenses in the NFL, while the chargers faced 3 in the bottom 9.

The chargers defense have changed their play. Won't deny, if it wasn't for the defense, the chargers would be at home right now and the broncos would have been beat up by the colts. However, their offense is still the same and I truly believe that Norv Turner will pucker up so tight he won't remember how to use the offensive weapons he has. Defensively, we are still tops in the league and if you think there isn't some pent up frustrations as well as knowing who would be playing the following Sunday before we even take the field may put an extra fire under the defense. The Steelers offense isn't the greatest, we all know it, but they're still dangerous, especially considering we've got a WR that hits like a LB. The chargers are probably going to be blitz happy on Sunday - better hope Ben's concussion didn't knock the cobwebs out and he's back to reading those blitzes pre-snap - a little 5 yard slant to Santonio could end up being a 45 yard TD.

And finally, you brought something, I hope you have more!

Danger DANJ
01-07-2009, 03:18 PM

I realize statistically they are playing better, but their competition wasn't very good, so the numbers are a bit skewed. I've only seen a couple Charger games this season, so I guess I can't say for sure that they haven't played at least a little better, but I just don't see it being enough of an improvement to keep the Steelers from moving the ball the way they did before. We will just have to wait until Sunday and see.

baphamet
01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I realize statistically they are playing better, but their competition wasn't very good, so the numbers are a bit skewed. I've only seen a couple Charger games this season, so I guess I can't say for sure that they haven't played at least a little better, but I just don't see it being enough of an improvement to keep the Steelers from moving the ball the way they did before. We will just have to wait until Sunday and see.

they just held the colts to 17 points, i would say that is a pretty decent test, especially considering that pass defense has been their weakness.

SteelCityMom
01-07-2009, 04:37 PM
they just held the colts to 17 points, i would say that is a pretty decent test, especially considering that pass defense has been their weakness.

The Colts didn't impress me going into the playoffs honestly, I know they were on a 9 game win streak, but really, the only game that looked slightly impressive to me was week 10 against the Steelers, and that game was simply won off of 2 bad passes by Ben that led to the Colts scoring 14 points off of a very short field. Other than that they could hardly move the ball down the field. They spent the next 8 weeks putting points up against VERY weak defenses (except the Browns, somehow they only managed 10 against the Browns). Hell, Detroit was able to put 21 up on their defense and Jax only lost to them by a TD. I wasn't overly surprised when they were knocked out. That team has a horrid playoff record to begin with.

My real point here being is the only way teams have really been able to put a lot of points up against the Steelers is off of TO's, so that's really what will make the difference in this game. If Ben takes care of the ball I feel like we have the best chance of winning.

markymarc
01-08-2009, 07:32 AM
just like the chargers have the better offense.

Oh you mean the same offense that could only put up 10 points in the first game.

baphamet
01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Oh you mean the same offense that could only put up 10 points in the first game.

yep, another steelers fan that thinks its going to go down exactly like last time. your offense did any better? 11 points against one of the worst defenses in the league at the time? impressive! :chuckle:

baphamet
01-08-2009, 01:57 PM
The Colts didn't impress me going into the playoffs honestly, I know they were on a 9 game win streak, but really, the only game that looked slightly impressive to me was week 10 against the Steelers, and that game was simply won off of 2 bad passes by Ben that led to the Colts scoring 14 points off of a very short field. Other than that they could hardly move the ball down the field. They spent the next 8 weeks putting points up against VERY weak defenses (except the Browns, somehow they only managed 10 against the Browns). Hell, Detroit was able to put 21 up on their defense and Jax only lost to them by a TD. I wasn't overly surprised when they were knocked out. That team has a horrid playoff record to begin with.

My real point here being is the only way teams have really been able to put a lot of points up against the Steelers is off of TO's, so that's really what will make the difference in this game. If Ben takes care of the ball I feel like we have the best chance of winning.

to be quite honest, the colts offense was a lot better than the steelers this year and the chargers held them to 17 points.

downplay the significance all you want but it does prove that the chargers defense has been playing better.

by the way i am talking about the colts offense, i know their defense wasn't that great. i really don't see how you can say they didn't have a good offense, isn't that why he is the MVP? :rofl:

fansince'76
01-08-2009, 01:59 PM

And the Browns held the Colts to 10 points in Cleveland in the middle of the Colts' 9-game winning streak. It's ONE GAME.

SteelCityMom
01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
to be quite honest, the colts offense was a lot better than the steelers this year and the chargers held them to 17 points.

downplay the significance all you want but it does prove that the chargers defense has been playing better.

by the way i am talking about the colts offense, i know their defense wasn't that great. i really don't see how you can say they didn't have a good offense, isn't that why he is the MVP? :rofl:

I'm not saying they don't have a good offense, but honestly, it wasn't like they were a top ranked offense for the season, they were ranked 15th in the league. NE and SD had a much better season offensively than the Colts did (and we held both to 10 points). New Orleans, Denver and Houston are the top 3 offenses for the season, and I don't see any of them in the playoffs (they all ended their season with 8-8 records).

Manning got the MVP because he's the darling QB of the league right now and overcame a sluggish start to the season to go on a 9 game win streak. I firmly believe though that if they had had a rougher schedule down the stretch they would have ended their season 10-6 at best.

SteelCityMom
01-08-2009, 02:43 PM
yep, another steelers fan that thinks its going to go down exactly like last time. your offense did any better? 11 points against one of the worst defenses in the league at the time? impressive! :chuckle:

2 TD's called back, just remember that. We were also in a position to score before the half as well but had to settle for a 21 yard FG because there was only :03 seconds left in the first half.

I give kudos to the SD defense for the goal line stand and for a couple of sacks on third down, but other than that the Steelers were moving the ball at will, on the ground and through the air.

I think every Charger fan HAS to know that that game was only close because of penalties, nothing more. If you don't realize that then you're delusional.

baphamet
01-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I think every Charger fan HAS to know that that game was only close because of penalties, nothing more. If you don't realize that then you're delusional.

every single chargers game has been close all year, 8 losses by 34 points total. i can nitpick and make excuses too, but the only thing that truly matters is scoreboard.

i know the steelers racked up a lot of yards last game, i don't think it will go down like that again for reasons i have already stated.

you want to talk about delusional? i actually read a post here that compared this matchup to college football.

the steelers fan sited his team as a national power like Oklahoma and then compared the chargers to a WAC school.

if anything, this forum has given me a good chuckle or two over the past few days. :laughing:

baphamet
01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
And the Browns held the Colts to 10 points in Cleveland in the middle of the Colts' 9-game winning streak. It's ONE GAME.

you love to sift through posts and attack, why don't you actually Read the thread first? yes i know its one game, someone said the chargers have not been tested on defense down the stretch, i said the colts were a decent test....and you reply with this? :banging:

donny c
01-08-2009, 03:30 PM
don't forget the bolts hero punter. that 5yd slant to tonio holmes could be a 95 yd td

fansince'76
01-08-2009, 03:33 PM
you love to sift through posts and attack, why don't you actually Read the thread first? yes i know its one game, someone said the chargers have not been tested on defense down the stretch, i said the colts were a decent test....and you reply with this? :banging:

The fact is you continually point to that single game as proof that your defense has suddenly "arrived":

SteelCityMom
01-08-2009, 03:56 PM
every single chargers game has been close all year, 8 losses by 34 points total. i can nitpick and make excuses too, but the only thing that truly matters is scoreboard.

i know the steelers racked up a lot of yards last game, i don't think it will go down like that again for reasons i have already stated.

you want to talk about delusional? i actually read a post here that compared this matchup to college football.

the steelers fan sited his team as a national power like Oklahoma and then compared the chargers to a WAC school.

if anything, this forum has given me a good chuckle or two over the past few days. :laughing:

Hey, you're the one that said "and your offense did any better?" I'm just merely pointing out that yes they did. Listen, there is no way you can convince me that a team that gets 115 yards in penalties vs. 5 yards in penalties and still manages to win the game isn't impressive. Imagine if it had been the Chargers put into that exact situation (which I know they were the beneficiaries of some very bad calls this year, but never anything as lopsided as that), this forum would be flooded with nothing but Chargers fans calling the Steelers cheaters and you know it.

I agree with you on your point that comparing the NFL to NCAA is useless, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I will never argue with you that your defense is improved, but just realize that the Steelers offense has faced and won the majority of games against the top defenses in the league already, so in no way can you just rely on that as the main factor that is going to win the game for you. It's definitely going to be a hard fought game on both sides, I'd expect nothing less out of a playoff game, but just don't wager too much on thinking that just because our offense is ranked poorly that it can't overcome a good defense. They have proven many times this year that they can do just that.