PDA

View Full Version : If Trent Dilfer was starting at QB Sunday

JPSEMP
01-05-2009, 08:37 PM
If Trent Dilfer was starting for Pittsburgh Sunday I would bet all I have on the game . Ben coming of a concussion makes me nervous. Without catastrophic offensive play by the Steelers I don't think there is a team out there that can compete with them. I hope Ben is 100 % mentally well Sunday. I do like all the hype being thrown the dolts and ratbirds way, there is no question that this team and Ben play better when slighted by the media. GO STEELERS !

Crushzilla
01-05-2009, 08:39 PM
While Ben's most excellent quality is his ability to pull a win out of his butt, I wouldn't mind seeing a Dilfer-esq performance.

jjpro11
01-05-2009, 08:54 PM
ben coming off any break is worrisome.. him coming off a concussion and a break is downright scary. i just cant get the jags game from last year and the jets game from his rookie year out of my head. he sat both times before those games and played terribly.

Ricco Suavez
01-05-2009, 08:56 PM
No one seems to remember that Ben led the Team back from a bad first half against the Jags. It was the Defense that gave up late scores.

Edman
01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
He was terrible for a half in the Jags game and was godly in the second. He brought us all the way back. The Defense faltered when it counted. 4th and 2 pisses me off so much.

HometownGal
01-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm not going to look at what happened in past seasons, as each season is a new experience.

Ben's success this week is going to depend largely on the OL's ability to open up some holes for our backs and hold off the pass rush while giving him time to find his receivers across the middle or downfield. If they do their jobs and Ben isn't pummeled to the ground by the Chargers D, Ben will be just fine.

cubanstogie
01-05-2009, 09:01 PM
If Trent Dilfer was starting for Pittsburgh Sunday I would bet all I have on the game . Ben coming of a concussion makes me nervous. Without catastrophic offensive play by the Steelers I don't think there is a team out there that can compete with them. I hope Ben is 100 % mentally well Sunday. I do like all the hype being thrown the dolts and ratbirds way, there is no question that this team and Ben play better when slighted by the media. GO STEELERS !

I am not sure why everyone all of a sudden skittish about Ben as QB. Yes he has turned it over a few times but when you can't run the ball a lick, teams are now expecting pass. Not to mention the empty backfield which I hate, except for maybe on first down to try and get a mismatch, but not on 3rd and 10 when Ben is a sitting duck. Ben will be fine with his playoff experience. He knows with our D, he just has to play within himself. I would like to see a conservative approach with running, and short passes to Heath and Moore out of backfield, to help get rid of it quick and avoid getting hit while hanging in pocket though. One big hit and he is gone.

jjpro11
01-05-2009, 09:01 PM
i remember the jags game like the back of my hand. but we cannot expect a miracle comeback like that again.. if holmes doesnt take that 4th and long play to the end zone, there probably wouldnt have been anything close to a comeback following the play.

jjpro11
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I am not sure why everyone all of a sudden skittish about Ben as QB. Yes he has turned it over a few times but when you can't run the ball a lick, teams are now expecting pass. Not to mention the empty backfield which I hate, except for maybe on first down to try and get a mismatch, but not on 3rd and 10 when Ben is a sitting duck. Ben will be fine with his playoff experience. He knows with our D, he just has to play within himself. I would like to see a conservative approach with running, and short passes to Heath and Moore out of backfield, to help get rid of it quick and avoid getting hit while hanging in pocket though. One big hit and he is gone.

the only reason myself and some others are more worried than usual is because ben has historically not done well coming off a bye or a break. its even worse because he is coming off a concussion. there really is no way to predict how good or bad he will play until sunday. its hard to even speculate with those variables involved.

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
While Ben's most excellent quality is his ability to pull a win out of his butt, I wouldn't mind seeing a Dilfer-esq performance.
they should use the same game plan they used the last time they played the chargers. they had no problem getting 1st downs and moving the ball.... they just didn't execute in the redzone....:noidea:

cubanstogie
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
He was terrible for a half in the Jags game and was godly in the second. He brought us all the way back. The Defense faltered when it counted. 4th and 2 pisses me off so much.

I wish the David Garrard of this year was the QB last year. We would have won that game easily. Or our D this year was our D last year. Confused yet. Yeah, I too have bad memories of that game. I went Costco early that morning and bought a 48 inch HD tv for the game and was very excited. Game time I am in my leather chair watching Steelers football in high def, Ben chokes then looks like Johhny Unitas and our D couldn't contain Garrard on a few big runs and big 3rd down conversions. That is one reason I can't understand why we aren't scoring this year. We had beat up offensive line last year and put up a ton of points.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-05-2009, 09:21 PM
The Steelers simply don't have the same Willie Parker they had last year. That's the problem.

The Duke
01-05-2009, 10:46 PM
All we need is a positive turnover differential :tt02:. Btw, why Trent Dilfer?

Because he is the game manager that was on the ravens super bowl season

If ben plays like a game manager and doesn't get in the defense's way they'll win

Crow-Magnon
01-05-2009, 11:18 PM
You guys have a competent backup in Leftwich. What's the worry?

tony hipchest
01-05-2009, 11:32 PM
You guys have a competent backup in Leftwich. What's the worry?EXACTLY!
ben, byron, and even charlie are all better than dilfer.

Dr. Steel
01-05-2009, 11:51 PM
To hell with Trent Dilfer. He can die a slow painful death for all I care. Ben will be fine and lead the Steelers to a 20-13 win. The Chargers will get a garbage TD like last time and two field goals this game. Remember the TD Tomlinson scored was set up by a bogus PI call on Ike.

Ben will throw 2 TDs with no INT's and 220 yards.

markymarc
01-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Sorry but I have a really good feeling about Ben playing on Sunday. He knows everyone and especially the media will be questioning him all week about the concussion and be concerned about him playing on Sunday. The offense will roll as Ben goes.

stlrz fan
01-06-2009, 08:57 AM
That's the past. Defense Defense Defense! The O Line WILL be able to give Ben just enough time to make it happen. That being said I do think that the game will keep us nervous start to finish.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Well ladies and gentleman get ready for the post game threads:

If the Steelers win:
Defense wins, in spite of Ben
Ben sucks, FWP sucks, Fire Arians

If the Steelers lose:
Ben should have sit
Lefty should have started
Moore should have been in the game plan more
If only we had (insert MVP QB name here) as our QB

nickelbolt
01-06-2009, 09:43 AM

I think this is what you'll get. Conservative as hell. I'm sure Tomlin will be adamant about running the ball no matter what. Looking at the season stats... only twice did the steelers run the ball fewer than 25 times. Tomlin believes your defense can set up some easy scores, so he'll put this game on them and let it ride.

I expect the tally to look something like this:
30 rushes
25 passes

Whereas last game it was much more pass heavy, despite the rushing game finding some success.

The_WARDen
01-06-2009, 09:45 AM
If Dilfer was the QB, they'd be unbeatable, I would love to see all the Lombardi trophies he would bring!!! After all, he is one of the greatest QBs in the history of the league!

Can they sign him now? He should be ready to go in a few days...after all he is Trent friggin Dilfer!

Ridiculous...

:banging::banging::banging:

T.Richardson
01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Well ladies and gentleman get ready for the post game threads:

If the Steelers win:
Defense wins, in spite of Ben
Ben sucks, FWP sucks, Fire Arians

If the Steelers lose:
Ben should have sit
Lefty should have started
Moore should have been in the game plan more
If only we had (insert MVP QB name here) as our QB

you know what sucks? is that either way Ben will get no pat on the backs by the Ben haters here. They'll just look at the bad things, like If Parker gets only 50 yards, they dont blame the OL, even if the Colts DL, and LB's get into the backfield before Parker can do anything.

The_WARDen
01-06-2009, 11:13 AM
you know what sucks? is that either way Ben will get no pat on the backs by the Ben haters here. They'll just look at the bad things, like If Parker gets only 50 yards, they dont blame the OL, even if the Colts DL, and LB's get into the backfield before Parker can do anything.

Those are the ppl that deserved Kordell Stewart.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2009, 11:19 AM
dont you know that if willie sucks its ben's fault..lol:chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
01-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Those are the ppl that deserved Kordell Stewart.

Dude, nobody deserved Kordell Stewart. :mad::rofl:

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 11:35 AM
If we are comparing the Steelers of '07 with the Steelers of '08, there are a few key differences:

-'07 OL was awful. This OL is mediocre
-'07 defense was really good. '08 defense is fantastic and completely dominant.
-'07 ST's were putrid. '08 ST's are actually a strength of this team

We were not a team built for a long playoff run last year, and with solid offense, incredible defense and great ST's, this team is.

MACH1
01-06-2009, 11:40 AM
If Dilfer were the qb of the Steelers now, he'd be getting the treatment that Ben is. "Dilfer Sucks, we should trade for that guy Ben"

TackleMeBen
01-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Dude, nobody deserved Kordell Stewart. :mad::rofl:
except for ESPN:chuckle:

tyler289
01-06-2009, 11:45 AM
If we are comparing the Steelers of '07 with the Steelers of '08, there are a few key differences:

-'07 OL was awful. This OL is mediocre
-'07 defense was really good. '08 defense is fantastic and completely dominant.
-'07 ST's were putrid. '08 ST's are actually a strength of this team

We were not a team built for a long playoff run last year, and with solid offense, incredible defense and great ST's, this team is.

Our ST coverage has been awesome, but man, I wish Sepulveda was healthy. Berger is so bad.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 11:45 AM
dont you know that if willie sucks its ben's fault..lol:chuckle:

Now that made me laugh. :toofunny: :applaudit:

TackleMeBen
01-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Now that made me laugh. :toofunny: :applaudit:
glad i could help out a fellow fan.... but that is what all the ben haters will be saying. :chuckle:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-06-2009, 03:50 PM
If Dilfer were QB, he would have been sacked somewhere around 70 times this season.

stlrz fan
01-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Somebody say that the past is the past and that Ben will play to his old form this weekend. Somebody say that he will carry out our offensive game plan and lead the team to a Divisional round victory.

The_WARDen
01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Okay...

The past is the past and that Ben will play to his old form this weekend. He will carry out our offensive game plan and lead the team to a Divisional round victory.

Vis
01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Long thread for such a stupid idea. Did anyone mention that this would mean Dilfer behind the Steelers' OL? God help us.

T.Richardson
01-06-2009, 04:06 PM
If Dilfer were the qb of the Steelers now, he'd be getting the treatment that Ben is. "Dilfer Sucks, we should trade for that guy Ben"

lol...so true.

stlrz fan
01-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Thank You

LVSteelersfan
01-06-2009, 04:20 PM
You do realize Dilfer bashes the Steelers every chance he gets? Don't bring that dipwad up in any conversation that has him as a Steelers QB. He was an awful QB and it showed last year in SF.

markymarc
01-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Sure let's just give away all of our draft picks in 2009 so we can get Dilfer out of his ESPN contract :banging: Besides he does such a fine job at ESPN always busting on the Steelers.

LambertIsGod58
01-07-2009, 07:35 AM
You do realize Dilfer bashes the Steelers every chance he gets? Don't bring that dipwad up in any conversation that has him as a Steelers QB. He was an awful QB and it showed last year in SF.

awful enough to have a SB ring.......