PDA

View Full Version : Has Gay taken McFadden's spot for good?

GridironWarrior
01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
I've noticed since McFadden has been back that him and Gay have been rotating with Gay getting more snaps.

SteelCityKing
01-05-2009, 11:33 PM
i've noticed that too. i'm not sure what's rally shaking in that department but all i know is that i dig Bryant McFadden. i met the guy at the Monroeville Mall last year doing radio interviews. he didn't look happy to be there. haha!

i think if they opt to take McFadden out of the rotation a few snaps, i'm sure it's for good reason. possibly to give him rest and keep Gay up on the action. i'm not sure, but both players can pull their own weight. i wouldn't object to either player taking snaps from time to time. =)

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 12:12 AM
all i know is cornerbacks are damn expensive and we got 3 cheap ones and one who is playing great, yet still being paid below market standards.

townsend's contract runs out after 09 and mccfadden is a free agent this year.

im guessing the steelers are looking if they can survive with ike and gay.

not only is there gameday to manage, but the cap as well.

SteelCityKing
01-06-2009, 12:15 AM
all i know is cornerbacks are damn expensive and we got 3 cheap ones and one who is playing great, yet still being paid below market standards.

townsend's contract runs out after 09 and mccfadden is a free agent this year.

not only is there gameday to manage, but the cap as well.

that sounds iffy to me. i just hope they decide to keep this defensive sqaud together for few more years.

Steelman16
01-06-2009, 01:35 AM
that sounds iffy to me. i just hope they decide to keep this defensive sqaud together for few more years.

Deciding to keep it is one story. Actually keeping it together is a whole other one.

But, in Steeler tradition, we have "starters in waiting" lying in the wings. :wink02:

SteelCityKing
01-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Deciding to keep it is one story. Actually keeping it together is a whole other one.

But, in Steeler tradition, we have "starters in waiting" lying in the wings. :wink02:

of course we do. we always have back ups upon back ups waiting to replace the other guys. it sucks because you grow so attached to certain players and then BAM...outsted by the young bucks. it sucks, ya know? :pissed:

The Duke
01-06-2009, 01:49 AM

This

IMO, BMac is gone next year. Gay has proven he can play, and he is just in his 2nd year

Looking back, bryant missed games against the colts, bolts, giants, skins and pats. All these teams can pass the ball well and Gay started most of those

Bryant "regained" his starting job for the ravens game, but they've actually been rotating at times since then

I may be a Gay homer( I know that sounds wrong :chuckle:), but he's been good enough to tell the coaches he can play and they won't miss BMac

steelreserve
01-06-2009, 02:04 AM
Whichever one demands the billion-dollar contract is gone, because we just can't afford to keep four starting corners. It'll probably be McFadden. I hope he enjoys his time with the Redskins.

Galax Steeler
01-06-2009, 03:26 AM
I also see Mcfadden gone after this year he is going to want a high dollar contract and I don't see the steelers doing that with the way Gay is starting to play.

Rhee Rhee
01-06-2009, 04:08 AM
I may be a Gay homer( I know that sounds wrong :chuckle:)

as am i :flap:

but in all seriousness with McFadden's agent being who he is, i don't see how the rooneys could ever negotiate with a man like that let alone offer mcfadden a contract..

gay turned out to be an excellent pick and hopefully will be with us for awhile..

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Sign McFadden.

Don't be cheap - suck it up and pay the man - the salary cap is going up to 123 million next year and we need him.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-06-2009, 06:45 AM
I havent seen enough of Gay to be sure he's gonna work out in the long run.

I like what I have seen in McFadden and I hope we can resign him.

markymarc
01-06-2009, 08:56 AM
I have been very impressed with William Gay this season. But I also want the FO to make every effort to keep McFadden. This secondary could be great for many more years if we keep McFadden.

MasterOfPuppets
01-06-2009, 09:14 AM
there was 0 drop off with gay in the lineup as compared to bmac....they'll throw an offer at bmac, which he'll refuse, he'll walk, we'll get a comp pick.....thats how it works in pittsburgh.....:noidea:

SteelMember
01-06-2009, 09:16 AM
I think Gay has played very well this year, and while a new contract for Bmac could be a cap issue, I believe that the team is just being cautious with the previously broken arm. While 4-5 weeks for a bone to mend might be fine for the average joe, I don't think they, or even he being a contract year, wants to re-injure it. There has already been a case this year, can't remember exactly who-cowboys, that a player has come back and re-aggravated a broken arm and now has a longer recovery than if he would have waited longer initially.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 09:17 AM
but in all seriousness with McFadden's agent being who he is, i don't see how the rooneys could ever negotiate with a man like that let alone offer mcfadden a contract..

You mean like they did with Timmons, who has the same agent? McFadden wasn't appreciably better than Gay has been, so McFadden isn't exactly in a position to "extort" money from the Rooneys.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 09:50 AM
there was 0 drop off with gay in the lineup as compared to bmac....they'll throw an offer at bmac, which he'll refuse, he'll walk, we'll get a comp pick.....thats how it works in pittsburgh.....:noidea:

That could very much be the scenario. I do think that McFadden is better than Gay (no I am not a Gay basher :wink:) but dont think the Steelers are gonna panic if they have to go with Taylor, Townsend, Gay, Roy Lewis (or a draft pick).

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 09:54 AM
You mean like they did with Timmons, who has the same agent? McFadden wasn't appreciably better than Gay has been, so McFadden isn't exactly in a position to "extort" money from the Rooneys.

Signing a rookie is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than signing an unrestricted free agent.

The free agent tests the waters and lets teams bid for his services. Rosenhaus will even fake phone calls from other teams, pretending that his client is getting a better offer. Timmons as the #15 draft pick got a bit more than the #16 pick and a bit less than the #14 pick.......its pretty much a slotting system.

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Signing a rookie is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than signing an unrestricted free agent.

The free agent tests the waters and lets teams bid for his services. Rosenhaus will even fake phone calls from other teams, pretending that his client is getting a better offer. Timmons as the #15 draft pick got a bit more than the #16 pick and a bit less than the #14 pick.......its pretty much a slotting system.but timmons was the 2nd first rounder to sign that season. i think pick 31 greg olsen was the first. drew and kahn set the market, they didnt follow it.

if the steelers want mcfadden they will get him and offer him what he's worth. even if drew were ben or troys agent they woulda got the same deal when their contract was done. of course they were done with a year remaining which may be an indication of which direction the steelers are leaning.

fwiw bryant loves being a steeler.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-06-2009, 10:17 AM
but timmons was the 2nd first rounder to sign that season. i think pick 31 greg olsen was the first. drew and kahn set the market, they didnt follow it.

if the steelers want mcfadden they will get him and offer him what he's worth. even if drew were ben or troys agent they woulda got the same deal when their contract was done. of course they were done with a year remaining which may be an indication of which direction the steelers are leaning.

fwiw bryant loves being a steeler.

The Steelers also knew what they had in Ben and Troy when they extended them.

McFadden has an excellent rookie season with the amount of playing time he was alloted. I remember that pass breakup in the endzone of the Colts playoff game that year, great play.

But then in 2006 and 2007 he was nothing but a pass interference penalty machine and was burned a few times. We had no idea what we had in him, we knew he had potential due to his rookie season.

Then this year he broke out when Deshea got hurt. He's gonna be a legit lockdown cornerback in this league.

LOL Tony, why would he not love being a Steeler? Being a part of probally the best defense of this decade (that's right, if we win the SB this defense is better than the 2000 Ravens and the 2002 Buccs defeneses). Hopefully his love for being a Steeler will let him take a lil bit less than what some teams would offer to stay in Pittsburgh and win some more Super Bowls.

If we do resign McFadden, we'll have one sick as hell secondary.

Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Bryant McFadden, Willie Gay. Hopefully Anothony Smith can pull his head out of his ass and become a contributor, because I would love to see him rotate in to keep Clark and Polamalu fresh.

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Bryant McFadden, Willie Gay. Hopefully Anothony Smith can pull his head out of his ass and become a contributor, because I would love to see him rotate in to keep Clark and Polamalu fresh.next year is clarks, townsends, gays, and i believe carters final season under contract (athough tyrone could be a free agent this season along with smith). i could be wrong on 1 or 2 but like mcfadden, if any are gonna be kept we better act quick.

clark is earning a big payday and he should be a number one priority to extend in the offseason.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-06-2009, 10:30 AM
next year is clarks, townsends, gays, and i believe carters final season under contract (athough tyrone could be a free agent this season along with smith). i could be wrong on 1 or 2 but like mcfadden, if any are gonna be kept we better act quick.

clark is earning a big payday and he should be a number one priority to extend in the offseason.

Shit, I didn't realize that Clark's contract was up at the end of next season. I hope we extend him, he's vital to our secondary and we currently don't have someone to replace him.

I can see Townsend retiring when his contracts up. He'll have two or three rings at that time...and he wont have anything left to prove.

I think we extend Gay after this season while we negotiate with BMac. That way if BMac walks we have a guy who can step in and play well...and if we resign BMac then we have a nice CB rotation and an excellent nickel back.

Tyrone Carter, we can resign him on the cheap. I really like him for depth and I think he's an excellent backup/role player.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I thought this had to do with Bmac not being 100% whereas Gay is?

I think this is confusing the issue. WP is at 80% is equal to Melwelde Moore at 100%, so people naturally assume somehow that Moore is the better back, when they aren't equal at all. I think Gay has played well, but McFadden has been superb when he's been 100% healthy.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 10:46 AM

The free agent tests the waters and lets teams bid for his services. Rosenhaus will even fake phone calls from other teams, pretending that his client is getting a better offer. Timmons as the #15 draft pick got a bit more than the #16 pick and a bit less than the #14 pick.......its pretty much a slotting system.

Yeah, I'm very well aware that the two situations are different and exactly what they are. I was refuting the assertion that the Rooneys would "never" negotiate with Rosenhaus when in fact they have in the past. "Negotiation" and "reaching an agreement" are two very different things.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I'm very well aware that the two situations are different and exactly what they are. I was refuting the assertion that the Rooneys would "never" negotiate with Rosenhaus when in fact they have in the past. "Negotiation" and "reaching an agreement" are two very different things.

OK. I just never put it past a Rosenhaus client on the open market to grind for everything he can get in terms of $$. We all know the Steelers will not be the highest bidder in free agency, but maybe their offer ends up being the best one left after Asomgua, Dunta Robinson and Ron Bartell cash in.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 11:39 AM
OK. I just never put it past a Rosenhaus client on the open market to grind for everything he can get in terms of $$. We all know the Steelers will not be the highest bidder in free agency, but maybe their offer ends up being the best one left after Asomgua, Dunta Robinson and Ron Bartell cash in.

Yep, I'm no fan of Rosenhaus either - I didn't mean to be a smartass in my response. Apologies. :drink:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Yep, I'm no fan of Rosenhaus either - I didn't mean to be a smartass in my response. Apologies. :drink:

No offense taken. Most of the Rosenhaus haters think that McFadden is a gonner because he is gonna get an overpriced offer from somebody. That may be true, but he isnt exactly the top talent in the free agent CB market. I still think he can get a good offer from the Steelers and if they pay him that kind of $$, they are gonna start him.

steelreserve
01-06-2009, 12:07 PM

See, McFadden doesn't have to extort money from us, he just has to convince some other dumb team with a lot of free money that he's worth $7 million a season. In fact, the dumb teams will convince themselves and then scramble to be the highest bidder. They do it every year.

Sharkissle29
01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
mark my words: it will be a HUGE mistake to let mcfadden walk. do you remember how lights out he was before his injury? he is an intelligent football player who makes ridiculous reads and jumps on the ball. we need to resign him, he will be a star one day...

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 01:47 PM
he is an intelligent football player who makes ridiculous reads and jumps on the ball. ...
Do you realize that you just spelled out the scouting report on William Gay?

William Gay
CB from Louisville
5'10" 187
NFL Scouting Report

Average height and size ... Consistent ... Was not very productive as a Junior, but tripled his tackle output (60) in his Senior year and recorded 6 interceptions and 13 pass breakups ... Average speed ... Good technically ... Has good ball skills ... Solid tackler ... Good toughness ... Instinctive

http://www.rookiepedia.com/index.php?title=William_Gay&printable=yes&printable=yes

I think McFadden has better speed than Gay and that is the major difference.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 02:05 PM
This is the BEST secondary group we have had in eons, there's no way I would want to let any of them get away.

The Duke
01-06-2009, 03:06 PM
No offense taken. Most of the Rosenhaus haters think that McFadden is a gonner because he is gonna get an overpriced offer from somebody. That may be true, but he isnt exactly the top talent in the free agent CB market. I still think he can get a good offer from the Steelers and if they pay him that kind of $$, they are gonna start him.

Exactly

Asomugha and Dunta Robinson should be ranked above him by most teams

CanadianSteel
01-06-2009, 03:33 PM
There was a post a month or so back about which Steeler you thought had the most upside... and to me its McFadden.
Here's hopinmg they find a way to get it done :drink:

austinfrench76
01-06-2009, 06:37 PM
BMAC will walk. Not because we don't try and sign him but, becasue someone else will offer him more than he's worth. NO MATTER HOW GOOD HE BECOMES. He will get more money than he is worth right now based on his potential. I would love to have him back but he will get a big deal somewhere else and take the money and run ala Randel El.

Preacher
01-06-2009, 06:44 PM
A couple things...

1. I think B-Mac is resigned and takes over Townsend's position. I think Gay is moved to the number 3 slot. I think Townsend is signed for a year, and fights to regain is number one spot from B-Mac. It is the best of all worlds.

2. Drew Rosenhaus is a GREAT Agent for the Steelers to deal with.

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?p=244197

He knows how the Steelers negotiate. . . and he is upfront with them.

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 07:32 PM
A couple things...

1. I think B-Mac is resigned and takes over Townsend's position. I think Gay is moved to the number 3 slot. I think Townsend is signed for a year, and fights to regain is number one spot from B-Mac. It is the best of all worlds.

2. Drew Rosenhaus is a GREAT Agent for the Steelers to deal with.

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?p=244197

He knows how the Steelers negotiate. . . and he is upfront with them.thanks preach.

i was sure i started a thread about it but couldnt find it with a search on rosenhaus.

the fear and loathing of drew has always baffled me. maybe its because of so many talented (yet moronic) clients he has. but i admire him in part because of his shrewdness.

if he can rake an owner like jones or snyder over the coals it is HIS JOB to do so. however he also knows what type of owners he is dealing with in the rooneys and nobody is probably more shrewd (yet reasonable) than dan, kevin and omar.

BTW- i was just about spot on with my prediction of timmons deal. fansince and i are gonna start an agency. :tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2009, 12:12 AM
thanks preach.

i was sure i started a thread about it but couldnt find it with a search on rosenhaus.

the fear and loathing of drew has always baffled me. maybe its because of so many talented (yet moronic) clients he has. but i admire him in part because of his shrewdness.

if he can rake an owner like jones or snyder over the coals it is HIS JOB to do so. however he also knows what type of owners he is dealing with in the rooneys and nobody is probably more shrewd (yet reasonable) than dan, kevin and omar.

BTW- i was just about spot on with my prediction of timmons deal. fansince and i are gonna start an agency. :tt02:

Like I posted before, dealing with Rosenhaus clients as a rookie draft pick is pretty much painting a contract by numbers. Free Agent contracts are much different.

The loathing of Drew Rosenhaus for me dates back to when he faked a cell phone call which drove the Bills to draft Willis McGahee higher than expected. But other than that, he reportedly has stolen clients from other agents and done well for his clients at the expense of desperate teams. (Javon Kearse- Eagles, Javon Walker- Broncos,

ESPN.com spoke with six agents who have publicly and privately had issues with Rosenhaus. Four of them recently lost clients to Rosenhaus. The off-the-record feeling in the fraternity of agents is that Rosenhaus sometimes breaks the NFL Player's Association rules by directly contacting clients signed with other agents. He and his players deny this charge. Several agents, from behind the shield of anonymity, claim that Rosenhaus uses players to actively recruit other players (indirect contact is also against union regulations). Further, they speculate that Rosenhaus rewards them with them finder's fees.

Back on Feb. 26 Ken Sarnoff, a Chicago-based agent, quietly filed a grievance with the NFLPA that claimed Rosenhaus illegally initiated conversations with his former client, Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin, at the scouting combine and eventually signed him last August

Players have approached McGahee who was drafted No. 23 in the 2003 NFL draft after suffering a career-threatening knee injury in his final college game at Miami about hiring Rosenhaus. What does he tell them? "Come on over to the dark side," McGahee said, smiling.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2072819&type=story

I applaud free enterprise, but basically the NFL is a cartel (sp?) and Rosenhaus is as greasy as the come. But, in the end......McFadden is a 2nd level talented CB on the market and we might resign him, but the Steelers rarely overpay anybody.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Having depth at CB is nice. You can switch off and on keeping players fresh.

markymarc
01-07-2009, 07:00 AM
This is a nice issue to deal with, having great depth at the CB spot again. I would hate to see McFadden continue his progression with another team. He has developed very nicely and has become our 2nd best CB on the team. It appears that Tomlin has really helped Ike, McFadden, Townsend and Gay step up their play. And if we would lose McFadden then that will become another priority in the draft. I still believe McFadden will get a nice offer from the Steelers to stay. Hopefully he takes it and doesn't go for the biggest contract out there.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-07-2009, 07:05 AM
I hope so...

This will lower McFaddens expectations come free agency and possibly have other teams shy away from him.....

This could mean that we get him back next year.....