PDA

View Full Version : It wouldn't completely shock me if the game is close.

Edman
01-06-2009, 04:52 AM
There's a few factors that aren't keeping me overly confident. I'm confident we can beat the Chargers, but It wouldn't entirely shock me if we just escape with this game.

-Ben coming off a concussion and a lengthy break. Ben has never done well coming off a break. I don't expect the running game to get going, so it's gonna be on his shoulders, and he hasn't exactly been the most careful guy with the ball.
-San Diego's Punter Scifres.
-Rivers is a little gutsy.
-The Steelers O-Line. Again.
-This is Tomlin's second go-around in the playoffs. The first time didn't go around so well.
-Will the Steelers D show up and play big? Top ranked Steeler teams have had nasty habits of disappearing in the playoffs except in 2005.

And for those of you Charger fans who keep bringing up 1994, Bill Cowher is not our coach, Neil O'Donnell is not our QB, and the Steelers are not making Super Bowl videos.

crosby87penguins
01-06-2009, 05:18 AM
No but there's still that bad aura. It seems like all our home playoff games of late have been close (except for the 04 AFCCG... yeha uh lets forget about that). Personally i'd be shocked if it wasn't close, but I think the Steelers will pull it out.

Steel_Bus_24
01-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Me too, I think some people around here have gone a little too far...with all this talk about taking Rivers head off

Had we played a solid WC game last week Id be feeling a lot better. Im worried about the rust(Ben Mainly)

We can't afford to come out flat and have "Warm Up" quarters spotting the other team points.

Now Im not saying we're toast either, we play tough D and protect the ball...we'll be in great shape to make a run at the SB

Jammer
01-06-2009, 07:54 AM
The game will be very close last team to sustain a drive will win in the 4th quarter

HometownGal
01-06-2009, 08:03 AM
I don't think it will be as close as it was when we met the Bolts in the regular season, and I'm not saying that out of homerism. I believe our D is just too strong for the Bolts O and I also believe that our O is going to continue with the success they had 2 weeks ago against the Browns. Tomlin and our team leaders will have them pumped up and they will come out on fire as they were in 2005.

If it is close, I don't care as long as the Steelers come out on top which I firmly believe they will.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 08:42 AM
As long as it isn't a punting duel, we should be OK.

Is there still time to find another kicker?

GodofGridiron
01-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Hardly anyone here even knows who the Browns' defensive coordinator is of the top of their heads. Lots of us know who the Bolts' defensive shot caller is. And a few of us know he was the defensive architect behind Chicago's run to the Superbowl a couple seasons ago.

I think its a huge mistake to expect the offensive output from a game two weeks ago against a team that was already mentally on vacation. These Chargers are not the Browns.

ts888
01-06-2009, 09:24 AM
good reality post.

I honestly don't know how any Steeler fan can be overly confident with our offense and with Ben coming off concussion. Yes, we know the D will limit them and could even score on their own, but we will need the offensive line to band together and sustain drives.

tyler289
01-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I don't really think anyone should be thinking blowout in the NFL playoffs. Anything can happen.
I think we will win, but I do think it will be a semi-close game. like 10 points

Jammer
01-06-2009, 09:36 AM
San Diego didn't get blown out in any game this season all game they lost were very close... some game they won were blowout :)

baphamet
01-06-2009, 10:46 AM
San Diego didn't get blown out in any game this season all game they lost were very close... some game they won were blowout :)

yeah it isn't going to be a blowout, but by all means, get your hopes up steelers fans!

TheCurseOfTonyMartin
01-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Oh maybe it will be close? Don't fool yourselves. Both of these teams are capable of beating each other, and if there happens to be a blowout, you best believe it will be the Bolts on the winning side. The Steelers couldn't get a TD when the Chargers were in their supreme funk, so what makes you think they can get some when the Chargers are playing like Super Bowl contenders?

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Oh maybe it will be close? Don't fool yourselves. Both of these teams are capable of beating each other, and if there happens to be a blowout, you best believe it will be the Bolts on the winning side. The Steelers couldn't get a TD when the Chargers were in their supreme funk, so what makes you think they can get some when the Chargers are playing like Super Bowl contenders?

Maybe because the refs won't nullify multiple TDs of ours this time? :coffee:

Binary Bolt Fan
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Maybe because the refs won't nullify multiple TDs of ours this time? :coffee:

Don't go all Indy on us... :wink02:

I'm tired of ref talk. Chargers got screwed all season long, but they LOST. Because they didn't play well enough to win. Colt fans and Freeney in particular ought to be embarrassed for blaming the refs. They had a +2 turnover differential and lost. don't blame the refs.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Don't go all Indy on us... :wink02:

I'm tired of ref talk. Chargers got screwed all season long, but they LOST. Because they didn't play well enough to win. Colt fans and Freeney in particular ought to be embarrassed for blaming the refs. They had a +2 turnover differential and lost. don't blame the refs.

Indy lost because they couldn't convert a 3rd-and-2.

bradness113
01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
last time we won....we beat the chargers AND the refs. We had some key injuries in Miller, McFadden, Townsend. The big plays the chargers had on offense came against Fernando Bryant. Who just joined the team that week. I just finished watching the game...and I think it could get ugly...we put up BIG numbers last time, not on the scoreboard, but u can thank the refs for that. I got alot more confident after rewatching the last game.

baphamet
01-06-2009, 12:04 PM
last time we won....we beat the chargers AND the refs. We had some key injuries in Miller, McFadden, Townsend. The big plays the chargers had on offense came against Fernando Bryant. Who just joined the team that week. I just finished watching the game...and I think it could get ugly...we put up BIG numbers last time, not on the scoreboard, but u can thank the refs for that. I got alot more confident after rewatching the last game.

as you should, if you are going to put stock into facing that same team you faced earlier in the year, then your team shouldn't have any problems.

problem is, its a completely different team, different DC with a defense playing much better. seems a lot of your are trying to convince yourselves that this will be an easy win....a blowout.

sorry to break it to you but it just isn't going to be easy, it isn't going to be a blowout. you are going to have to earn this win, its going to be a battle.....better that ways anyways in my opinion.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 12:41 PM
as you should, if you are going to put stock into facing that same team you faced earlier in the year, then your team shouldn't have any problems.

problem is, its a completely different team, different DC with a defense playing much better. seems a lot of your are trying to convince yourselves that this will be an easy win....a blowout.

sorry to break it to you but it just isn't going to be easy, it isn't going to be a blowout. you are going to have to earn this win, its going to be a battle.....better that ways anyways in my opinion.

And for some reason chargers fans think they are going to be facing the same team they faced a few weeks ago.

While your logic is correct, you still have to apply it to both teams. This Steelers defense is not the same it was and the offense isn't the same either. Our special teams are better than they were and the chargers are going to find the game just as difficult.

BlastFurnace
01-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Anyone who thinks that San Diego can't come into Pittsburgh and beat us is not living in reality. This team hasn't had an easy playoff win at home since the 2001 Ravens game.

2001 Patriots - Beaten at home

2002 vs Browns - Down big. Came back to Win

2004 Jets - should have lost that game. Doug O'Brien missed two very makable FG's that would have won that game...one at the end of regulation and one in overtime.

2005 - We were on the road....playing the role of the underdog...just like the Chargers this year.

2007 Jaguars - Beaten at home.

Yes, they got lucky by making the playoffs, but they are a good team with solid offensive players. If they get up on us big early, we could be in trouble.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Anyone who thinks that San Diego can't come into Pittsburgh and beat us is not living in reality. This team hasn't had an easy playoff win at home since the 2001 Ravens game.

2001 Patriots - Beaten at home

2002 vs Browns - Down big. Came back to Win

2004 Jets - should have lost that game. Doug O'Brien missed two very makable FG's that would have won that game...one at the end of regulation and one in overtime.

2005 - We were on the road....playing the role of the underdog...just like the Chargers this year.

2007 Jaguars - Beaten at home.

Yes, they got lucky by making the playoffs, but they are a good team with solid offensive players. If they get up on us big early, we could be in trouble.

I say Tomlin rights this ship. While I don't think San Diego is going to be a push over, I believe that the fans and the defense will make it difficult for Rivers to do a lot of what he could last week at home.

Dr. Steel
01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
If the game is close then it will favor us. One big factor that nobody mentioned is Heinz Field is a brutal place for kickers to kick in. The Chargers kicker Nate Kaeding has missed some big kicks in the play-offs in the past. If the game comes down to a field goal then I really like the Steelers chances. Kaeding a play-off choke kicking in Heinz Field for a game tying field goal....

SteelCityMom
01-06-2009, 01:13 PM
And any playoff game shouldn't be easy to win either. Even in '05 the Steelers struggled for a while to get ahead against the Bengals (with Kitna at QB) and the Colts game came down to a missed FG as well (it shouldn't have gotten to that with Troys INT that was taken back, but it did).

I've lived with the reality all year that each week they played they could lose, but I was ALWAYS confident they could pull out a win if they played hard enough, and more often than not that was the case.

I continue to remain confident in this weeks game. What happened in past playoff games against different teams means nothing to me right now. I'll wait until after the game to either start rooting for us in the AFCCG or hope that we do better next year.

baphamet
01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
And for some reason chargers fans think they are going to be facing the same team they faced a few weeks ago.

While your logic is correct, you still have to apply it to both teams. This Steelers defense is not the same it was and the offense isn't the same either. Our special teams are better than they were and the chargers are going to find the game just as difficult.

very true but then again i am not running my mouth saying its going to be exactly like last time, like many of your fans seem to be doing.

its not going to be like last game....then again maybe it will. but i can almost guarantee you its going to be a war either way.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
very true but then again i am not running my mouth saying its going to be exactly like last time, like many of your fans seem to be doing.

its not going to be like last game....then again maybe it will. but i can almost guarantee you its going to be a war either way.

No, you're running your mouth like you've got the game in the bag already. You beat the Colts. Congrats. I'm not impressed. :coffee:

westcoastransplant
01-06-2009, 01:18 PM

Thank you! All I keep hearing is that the Chargers are a different team now then what they were when we beat them. Do they think that the Steelers have stayed the same? We were without our starting corners and a great posession receiving TE in Heath. Everybody is healthy and we didn't have to play nearly 5 quarters of football last week.

And although I would love a blowout, its not going to happen. The Steelers have played everybody close all year, with the exception of a few games. When you have a defense as good as the Steelers, you have the ability to win these close games which is what I believe will happen on Sunday.

westcoastransplant
01-06-2009, 01:21 PM

It may not be like last game, been given the way the Steelers played, the 13-2 margin of penalties and the fact that we'll get some key players back who didn't play the first time; it gives you confidence in your ability to win. It also gives a thirst to prove that the score should have been more decisive.

cubanstogie
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
I say Tomlin rights this ship. While I don't think San Diego is going to be a push over, I believe that the fans and the defense will make it difficult for Rivers to do a lot of what he could last week at home.

If Rivers comes into Pittsburgh, in cold weather, with our hostile crowd, against our D's pressure and has a big game I will be impressed. I don't think Sproles will be a factor in a cold, grassy slow turf game. Maybe break 1 run on a 3rd down draw on a blitz or something. I think it will be close only because our offense hasn't exactly been stellar and I realistically I don't expect them to all of a sudden throw up 38 points. They do have some big physical receivers but we haven't had coverage problems this year like in years past. I see our D scoring a TD with a fumble return or pic though, so I am betting on us covering the spread in a closer game than the 31-20 score. I feel much more confident this year than last against Jags.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I feel much more confident this year than last against Jags.

Well yeah - we got Troy and Aaron Smith and Clark back playing healthy.

Fast Willie too - just not so much

stlrz fan
01-06-2009, 01:31 PM
That San Diego punter hasn't been to Heinz Field in January.

The Duke
01-06-2009, 03:13 PM
That San Diego punter hasn't been to Heinz Field in January.

You know, Scifres is actually the only bolt that scares me

Every single punter has had career days against us. The way this guy is playing he'll pin us at the 1 yard line 4 times and have two 80 yards punts :banging:

Vis
01-06-2009, 03:16 PM

Every single punter has had career days against us. The way this guy is playing he'll pin us at the 1 yard line 4 times and have two 80 yards punts :banging:

Make him wear a Steelers jersey and nothing will go over 30 yrds

Binary Bolt Fan
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM

As crazy as it sounds, he may well be the co-MVP again. I think one of the Charger keys to the game is to force the Steelers to make long drives for scoring chances. This one's going to be about Turnovers, Special Teams and avoiding big plays. Ward is the guy I'm afraid of seeing in open field...

Its going to be a nail biter.

....is it Sunday yet?? Ugg, I hate working on weeks like these.

steelpride12
01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
So your giving up Edman? I honestly feel our #1 defense will be to much to handle for the San Diego O, and once Sproles is shut down Rivers will be forced to win the game by passes.

If it does come down to being a close game concussion or not i feel Ben knows the pressure he has been under with a sub-par season and he will find that will to play a good game and lead the Steelers to a game winning drive.

SteelCityMom
01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm sure we'll be pinned back close to our endzone again this game, SD did a fairly decent job of it last time, but the Steelers were able to move the ball pretty effectively down the field for a number of drives. The drive right before the half resulted in a FG simply because there was not enough time left to run any more plays, but we were well within the red zone. The drive at the end of the game that BR put together actually did result in a TD by Parker, but was taken away due to a holding call, and with :13 seconds left, resulted in another FG. They probably could have gotten one more attempt in for a chance at the endzone, but took the FG on 3rd down just in case there was a bad snap, that way they had another chance to attempt the FG and win the game. We had another drive early in the game where we got down to the 1 yard line, but kudos to the Chargers defense for putting up a great goal line stand, if that play had happened later in the game though, we would have taken a FG given how well our defense was doing at stopping nearly all important drives from the Chargers.

Simple fact is we've dealt with bad field position all year as an offense, and while there are plenty of times where the Steelers don't put together a good drive to get down the field, BR and Co. seem to have a knack for doing it when it counts most (i.e. Dallas, Baltimore, SD and nearly against the Giants and Indy, we almost won those games in the final minutes despite all the TO's from those games).

Steeldude
01-06-2009, 04:42 PM
the steelers have the 2nd worst offense, in terms of scoring, among the 2008/09 playoff teams. they have the worst offense, in terms of yards per game, than all of the 2008/09 playoff teams. combine that with their #1 ranked defense and you get the question "why wouldn't it be close?" :smile:

i am going to be completely surprised if it isn't close.

lilyoder6
01-06-2009, 05:07 PM
it will be close to start off with

BlastFurnace
01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
the steelers have the 2nd worst offense, in terms of scoring, among the 2008/09 playoff teams. they have the worst offense, in terms of yards per game, than all of the 2008/09 playoff teams. combine that with their #1 ranked defense and you get the question "why wouldn't it be close?" :smile:

i am going to be completely surprised if it isn't close.

I agree. We have been down this road before with a average to below average offense and a dominating defense. When these two things combine for any team, the game comes down to field position, turnovers, and a few breaks.

The Steelers will have their hands full with the Chargers.

Sprite
01-06-2009, 08:00 PM
It wouldn't shock me if Chargers wins

HometownGal
01-06-2009, 08:03 PM
It wouldn't shock me if Chargers wins

Gee - go figure.

It would shock ME if the Steelers don't win.

lilyoder6
01-06-2009, 08:04 PM
it would shock me that it won't be cold on sunday

markymarc
01-07-2009, 06:18 AM
it would shock me that it won't be cold on sunday

Coldness will be a good thing :chuckle: