PDA

View Full Version : (Peter) King furious about NFL overtime rules

SteelersMongol
01-06-2009, 08:44 AM
SI.com's Peter King came on without any sleep today and had some very strong takes ...

-- King thinks the current overtime system in the NFL is completely unfair. Too often the coin flip determines the winner and that makes no sense. King says the owners won't change the rules, but they're totally wrong.

-- Here is the system Peter wants. Each team gets to the ball one time. If one team scores, the other team has to get an offensive possession. Not like college, with the ball starting at the 35, but like a normal game.

-- King doesn't understand what Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski is doing. He will be one of 12 candidates to talk to the Jets. It's like the lottery. King thinks that if he's fired, he's still in a decent spot and can go back to the NFL. King and Dan think college athletic directors are fighting back. Dan thinks if a coach is under contract, he shouldn't be able to go anywhere.

-- Peter and Dan discussed the Falcons' offensive line had a tell and the Cardinals knew what play was coming. Arizona was getting off the ball immediately because its defenders were reading the Falcons center's butt.

-- King says LaDainian Tomlinson isn't the same back he was a few years ago and Darren Sproles is better than him right now even if L.T. can go.

-- King said Chargers punter Mike Scifres made the difference on Saturday. Peyton Manning never had good field position.

-- King thinks the Colts need more depth on the offensive line and a playmaking linebacker to take the next step. But he thinks Manning still could win another Super Bowl.

-- Dan asked King if he could change his MVP vote, would he pick Ed Reed over Manning? King told Dan he was crazy. There is no way he'd change his vote.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/37761/index.html?eref=fromSI

Overtime rule change, anyone? :coffee: If so what would be the most "fair" rule?

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Peter King sounds like a whiny douche - sobbing over Peyton missing the playoffs?

Life isn't fair

Ditka said it best

If you lose the toss, and your defense can't stop the other team from scoring, you didn't deserve to win the game in the first place.

If you want it "fair" why not move all the games to all neutral fields since teams playing at home get an "unfair" homefield 3 pt advantage.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I disagree. I think it's kind of arbitrary. I like the college system, and I sat through two college OT games this year. Both were REALLY exciting.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Didn't see King bitching about the unfairness of the OT rules when we lost the coin toss to the Ratbirds in our first game against them this season which we wound up winning anyway. But when one of the two fairhaired golden boys of the NFL (P. Manning and Brady) wind up being denied the chance to advance in the playoffs because of it, all of a sudden it's "unfair."

Like Killer mentioned, I also agree with Ditka - you lose the toss in OT, your D needs to go out there and stop them - again, kinda like we did against the Ratbirds in the first game against them this year.

STEELtownHAVOX
01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Do the college system except start at the 50 yard line and go from there.

T&B fan
01-06-2009, 10:06 AM
just play another full15 min with 1 time out .all revews like in the last 2 min . kinda like Basketball ..

Michael Keller
01-06-2009, 10:26 AM

I have never liked the NFL over time rule. I love Mike Ditka but when did he or any other coach choose not to receive the kick off and instead play defense.

Placing the ball on the 50 yard line or even the offensive team's 40 yard line will certainly make for an exciting overtime period. Each team has an opportunity to play both offense and defense.

When we lose an overtime game as we certainly have (Turkey Day ) because we never got the ball is terrible empty feeling.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2009, 10:44 AM
can someone please tell king to shut up..lol

if peyton was in zone, then the colts would have blown the bolts out and we wouldnt even had to worry about overtime. and if the colts would have had a good defense instead of relaying on peyton's arm to win games they wouldnt have been in that situation....

MasterOfPuppets
01-06-2009, 10:52 AM
i don't like the system. i think both O's and D's , should get a shot in OT. as was said, give them the ball at the fifty, put 3 minutes on the clock, 1 timeout.

The Duke
01-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Here is the system Peter wants. Each team gets to the ball one time. If one team scores, the other team has to get an offensive possession. Not like college, with the ball starting at the 35, but like a normal game.

Oh well, if that's what king wants let's do it already :coffee:

Didn't see King bitching about the unfairness of the OT rules when we lost the coin toss to the Ratbirds in our first game against them this season which we wound up winning anyway. But when one of the two fairhaired golden boys of the NFL (P. Manning and Brady) wind up being denied the chance to advance in the playoffs because of it, all of a sudden it's "unfair."

Like Killer mentioned, I also agree with Ditka - you lose the toss in OT, your D needs to go out there and stop them - again, kinda like we did against the Ratbirds in the first game against them this year.

Exactly :thumbsup:

To all the teams with sucky defenses- Get better!! that's the only way you'll win games

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 10:54 AM
can someone please tell king to shut up..lol

if peyton was in zone, then the colts would have blown the bolts out and we wouldnt even had to worry about overtime. and if the colts would have had a good defense instead of relaying on peyton's arm to win games they wouldnt have been in that situation....

I agree with what you are saying but I also agree that the system need to be tweaked. Allowing only one team to touch the ball is a bit archaic (sp).

Not so much for playing another 15 minutes, but I don't know if doing the college scenario is a good thing either. Maybe something like this:

1) Coin toss determines who gets the ball (as is now)
2) You have the OT kickoff as usual
3) If that team scores than they kick off
4) Opposing team gets the ball, if they score we continue until one or both teams have a possession where they don't score, then we go into suicide mode - first team to score wins.

So in case of the colts game, the chargers scored so they would have kicked off to the colts. If the colts score we keep going. If they don't, of course, game over. Let's say the colts would have scored (for sake of conversation). Then they would have kicked off to the chargers. If the chargers didn't score on that drive, then it becomes a first to score scenario.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I agree with what you are saying but I also agree that the system need to be tweaked. Allowing only one team to touch the ball is a bit archaic (sp).

Not so much for playing another 15 minutes, but I don't know if doing the college scenario is a good thing either. Maybe something like this:

1) Coin toss determines who gets the ball (as is now)
2) You have the OT kickoff as usual
3) If that team scores than they kick off
4) Opposing team gets the ball, if they score we continue until one or both teams have a possession where they don't score, then we go into suicide mode - first team to score wins.

So in case of the colts game, the chargers scored so they would have kicked off to the colts. If the colts score we keep going. If they don't, of course, game over. Let's say the colts would have scored (for sake of conversation). Then they would have kicked off to the chargers. If the chargers didn't score on that drive, then it becomes a first to score scenario.

but you have to consider tv time. they cant continue playing if no one scores because then it would run into other programing. and if they go to their regularly scheduled programming and the game is still going on, then you are going to have some really pissed off football fans.

i have no issue with the way the current system is. and we wouldnt be talking about it if peyton had cried about it.:chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
01-06-2009, 11:06 AM
I like the system the way it is. The team with the better Defense has a chance to win.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2009, 11:15 AM
I like the system the way it is. The team with the better Defense has a chance to win.
:iagree: if you lose the coin toss, then your defense should know what they are up against and know what they have to do. in indy's case they must have been a little jet lagged.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 11:23 AM
The current system has been the same way since the 1958 NFL Championship game. The only time it ever seems to become an "issue" with guys like King is when one of the players/teams whose d*cks they spend 90% of their time riding come out on the short end of the stick because of it. You really think if we had lost the first game to the Ratbirds this year after losing the coin toss, (which as it turns out, would've meant the difference between the #2 and #5 seed in the playoffs) that King would've uttered a peep about how "unfair" the OT rules are? I'd put money on it that he wouldn't have. :coffee:

TackleMeBen
01-06-2009, 11:30 AM
The only time it ever seems to become an "issue" with guys like King is when one of the players/teams whose d*cks they spend 90% of their time riding come out on the short end of the stick because of it
i really didnt need that visual gary..lol.

You really think if we had lost the first game to the Ratbirds this year after losing the coin toss, (which as it turns out, would've meant the difference between the #2 and #5 seed in the playoffs) that King would've uttered a peep about how "unfair" the OT rules are?
hell no!!! he would have said that the rules are the rules and have been in place for years, why change them now.

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 11:32 AM
yesterday in an interview tony dungy graciously said he loved the current overtime rules and wouldnt change a thing because it places an equal premium on offense defense and special teams.

if anyone had a right to show some sour grapes i guess it would be him.

personally, if they do change it, the scenario stlrtruck described is the one it would go to.

i could handle that.

TackleMeBen
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
yesterday in an interview tony dungy graciously said he loved the current overtime rules and wouldnt change a thing because it places an equal premium on offense defense and special teams.

well you know he couldnt come out and say it sucked b/c if he did that then he would be writing a check out to park ave..lol

MACH1
01-06-2009, 11:44 AM

Its the NFL. Have each team start at they're own 20.

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 11:50 AM
but you have to consider tv time. they cant continue playing if no one scores because then it would run into other programing. and if they go to their regularly scheduled programming and the game is still going on, then you are going to have some really pissed off football fans.

i have no issue with the way the current system is. and we wouldnt be talking about it if peyton had cried about it.:chuckle:

If the game goes into overtime now it cuases programs to be pushed back.

The stations will never cut another game off after the Heidi Bowl!

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 11:53 AM
well you know he couldnt come out and say it sucked b/c if he did that then he would be writing a check out to park ave..lol

I think Dungy is one of the last of the "Old School" mentality which is just win the game and not go into OT - and if in OT, knock the crap out of the other team first.

A dying bread in coaches today, but maybe I'm wrong.

But what some of you are saying about King not bitching about it if it were the Steelers or some other team they aren't knob hobbin' is true too.

Dino 6 Rings
01-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I think Dungy is one of the last of the "Old School" mentality which is just win the game and not go into OT - and if in OT, knock the crap out of the other team first.

A dying bread in coaches today, but maybe I'm wrong.

You're wrong. Follow the Coaching Line.

Tomlin, learned under Dungy at Tampa. Dungy Learned under Noll at Pittsburgh.

We have Old School on our Sidelines my friend. And he's a young Old School too!

CanadianSteel
01-06-2009, 12:16 PM
One point to consider with giving each team the ball for one possesion. If the first team scores then the second team gets an advantage of using 4 downs for each new series. I say leave it they way it is or perhaps for playoffs you play one addtional quarter then move to sudden death OT

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
You're wrong. Follow the Coaching Line.

Tomlin, learned under Dungy at Tampa. Dungy Learned under Noll at Pittsburgh.

We have Old School on our Sidelines my friend. And he's a young Old School too!

That's why I said "ONE OF", not that Dungy was the last but those Old School Coaches are becoming a dying breed.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 12:41 PM
...and If no team scores in overtime, placekickers should have a kick-out, like the NHL's shootout?

You people are just TRYING to ruin the game, aren't you.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Just make it so each team gets at least one possession.

That way, the Chargers go down and score the TD and the Colts get a chance to try and score. Defense needs to get a stop and not just win because of a questionable Pass Interference call in overtime. Chargers can cry about Ed Hochuli and his calls, but the PI call on that hand grenade that Rivers lobbed up was sketchy.

steelreserve
01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
-- King thinks the current overtime system in the NFL is completely unfair. Too often the coin flip determines the winner and that makes no sense. King says the owners won't change the rules, but they're totally wrong.

No. If you think the overtime coin flip is unfair, I have another suggestion: You should have made a few more plays and won the damn game in regulation. It's not as if you had a hundred or so opportunities to do that.

Oh, wait. You did. But let's blame the fricking coin flip instead.

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 01:21 PM
No. If you think the overtime coin flip is unfair, I have another suggestion: You should have made a few more plays and won the damn game in regulation. It's not as if you had a hundred or so opportunities to do that.

Oh, wait. You did. But let's blame the fricking coin flip instead.

Exactly. If the Colts would have converted that 3rd-and-2, this wouldn't even be getting discussed right now.

The_WARDen
01-06-2009, 01:25 PM
If it's still a tie at the end of OT, have the cheerleaders engage in a strip-off...

stlrtruck
01-06-2009, 01:38 PM
If it's still a tie at the end of OT, have the cheerleaders engage in a strip-off...

The Steelers would lose every time!!! Guess that means they've got to win it in regulation!

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 01:45 PM

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.steelerettes.com/cheer62.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFH4EvGC-8YZU0TrqHYzW8ASwLTFg

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Exactly. If the Colts would have converted that 3rd-and-2, this wouldn't even be getting discussed right now.

I think a decent running game might have helped them close out that one. When they went empty backfield on 3rd and 2.........it looked eerily familiar. :doh:

The_WARDen
01-06-2009, 01:59 PM
http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.steelerettes.com/cheer62.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFH4EvGC-8YZU0TrqHYzW8ASwLTFg

Okay, maybe not...

:chuckle:

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 04:14 PM
I knew I could convince you!

Anywhoo...

If the Colts had won the toss and Manning had driven Indy to the winning points....

....nobody would be talking about changing overtime rules, they'd be slobbering over Peyton's magical comeback story.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 04:50 PM
In that game? I suspect the Colts would have been called for holding, offensive pass interference and illegal formation in order to stall any drive they were going to put together.

Seriously, though, i don't dig the whole "this is the way it's always been done" argument. If that was the case, we'd all still be living in caves.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 05:40 PM
I bet you'd want to reinvent the wheel because it's too round.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 06:45 PM
...and another thing...

4 of the last 5 OT playoff game have been won by the team that LOST the coin-flip.

Go look it up.

04 Chargers
04 Jets
06 Seahawks
07 Packers
08 Chargers

WindyCitySteelerFan
01-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Its fine the way it is..

Its strategy, the ball can be taken away at every snap.. if you're good enough...

lilyoder6
01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
the only other option are the college rules for overtime.. but instead of starting from 30.. just have them ko like normal

Preacher
01-06-2009, 09:28 PM
I think there is a much easier way to do this. . .

Keep overtime the way it is, but ONLY ALLOW TOUCHDOWNS.

That way, the team HAS TO drive for the endzone. It stops a team for moving 40 yards and kicking a field goal.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 09:39 PM
...and if nobody scores a TD in 3 OT's just let the kickers decide the game at progressively longer distances in a shoot-out like hockey.

Best out of 5 wins.

Brilliant!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Here is a comment that King made on officiating in his column today.

But in the end, how much worse was Hochuli's mistake than an official who doesn't call a blatant offensive hold on a lineman on a key third down play? It's just that Hochuli's mistake was put out there for everyone to see.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/01/06/mail/index.html

King's brother-in-law and daughter are Steeler fans. I think he is referencing Khalif Barnes hold on Harrison last year. :chuckle:

The_WARDen
01-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Everyone always states how it's balanced between the winner/loser of the coin flip and there's no advantage to winning the coin toss.

If there's no advantage to winning the coin toss, why is it that no one ever declines and puts there defense on the field first?

:noidea:

TackleMeBen
01-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Everyone always states how it's balanced between the winner/loser of the coin flip and there's no advantage to winning the coin toss.

If there's no advantage to winning the coin toss, why is it that no one ever declines and puts there defense on the field first?

b/c unless they are the ravens or steelers defense the coaching staff probably doesnt have that much confidence in the defense to stop the other teams offense.

Fire Haley
01-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Always pick 'tails'....always.

fansince'76
01-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Never said it wasn't an advantage. It's just not enough of an advantage to change to the point where they adopt the NCAA's system and the teams trade FGs for the rest of the night, that's all. Especially for a league that has spent years trying to trim the length of the games themselves to cram more and more advertising in.

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Here is what I think...continue the game as if it was the 3rd qrt going into the 4th. Example. If you kick a game tying field goal to end regulation, then in OT, you are kicking off, just as if you had kicked one at the end of the 3rd.

Now if you kick a field goal with say 1minute left in the 4th, to tie the game, then you kick off like normal. This allows for the Offense to strategize as if it was just going into a new qrt. So if the offense gets the ball at the 20 and say runs 4 plays, and gets to the 37 yard line, then in OT they get the ball at the 37 yard line and the game just continues til someone scores.

I think that may be a viable way of settling the games instead of a "coin toss" chance.

So I have the ball with 1 minute left. Do I run out the clock some more, or do I kick the FG, kick off and force the O to make some plays otherwise by the time OT Starts, they are punting because I forced a 3 and out?

I think that is a better way. But none of this "both teams get the ball" crap.

Its football, and defense is just as important as offense.

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2009, 12:19 PM
I just re-read my alternative and have decided...I'm brilliant.

Steely McSmash
01-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm in favor of something like the college system.

I think the current system is fair in as much as a coin toss is a random event. I just don't think the coin toss should influence the outcome of the game so much.

Which version do you think makes for a longer game? I see the league being interested in the longer game and more TV revenue potentially as an outcome. You'd need to wait for the TV contract to come up for that to have any influence I guess though.

SteelCurtain7
01-07-2009, 07:10 PM
The system's fine the way it is. :rolleyes:

Peter King has proven to us what a lot of us have been thinking: the sports media's in the tank for the Womannings.

TackleMeBen
01-08-2009, 09:15 AM
where was king when cassel was standing on the sidelines when favre took the jets down to win in overtime.. oh yeah, cassel wasnt peyton or brady.....

lilyoder6
01-08-2009, 10:21 AM
but b/c this happened to manning last weekend, u know roger will make it a discussion in the off-season to talk about

TackleMeBen
01-08-2009, 10:24 AM
goodell cant really do anything if the competition committee doesnt see a need to change it.

BrandonCarr39
01-09-2009, 01:35 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, I like the rules OK.

Especially with the number of injuries going up every year, I'd rather not see play of more than the 4 quarters. So if anything, a mere sudden death OT is OK with me.

TackleMeBen
01-09-2009, 09:27 AM
well look at it this way..with peyton already out he can practice his part in those stupid oreo commericals while waiting for eli...lol.. i think the williams sisters can take them..lol