PDA

View Full Version : Chargers WR Vincent Jackson busted for DUI last night?

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Arrested last night and spent the night in jail. Oops.

Just breaking....

http://bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17188

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 02:49 PM
No big deal. He will have a chauffer to Heinz on Sunday.

I expect that Ike Taylor will be his personal chapparone on sunday to keep him out of trouble. :wink:

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
I say bench him Goodell.

Think of the children.

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 02:56 PM
tomlin would bench him. norv will feed him the ball.

ts888
01-06-2009, 02:57 PM
take this for whatever you think it's worth but my buddy in San Diego just emailed me this regarding it....

" they are reporting that he got pulled over and refused to take the breathalyzer out of fear for an inaccurate reading. This means, you immediately get taken in no matter what. Once at the station, they determined he was not drunk and he was released 3 hours later. Had he actually been drunk, he would never have been released that quick."

if true, doesn't sound like any big deal at all and nothing that will jeopardize his playing status.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 03:00 PM
A little more...just hitting the airwaves

BREAKING NEWS: Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson has been reported arrested on a DUI charge late Monday night or early this morning, possibly in Pacific Beach. No further details at this time.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/

nickelbolt
01-06-2009, 03:02 PM
These guys have played hungover all year. So this should not come as a surprise.

This Charger group likes to party. :beerbang::monkey:

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Maybe this will take Ben's Head outta the news for a bit.

Confirmed

Chargers player arrested for DUI

San Diego Chargers' wide receiver Vincent Jackson was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving early this morning.

Jackson was booked into county jail on a misdemeanor charge and released by 6 a.m., a spokesman with the Sheriff's Department said.

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/breaking/2009/01/chargers_player_arrested_for_d.html

SBL1721
01-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Well I'm glad they released him :applaudit:

nickelbolt
01-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Released after only 3 hours?:noidea:

tony hipchest
01-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Released after only 3 hours?:noidea:he dropped the "you cant arrest me... dont you know who i am?" card.

:coffee:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
they are reporting that he got pulled over and refused to take the breathalyzer out of fear for an inaccurate reading.
wow. that's really smart :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
01-06-2009, 03:32 PM
take this for whatever you think it's worth but my buddy in San Diego just emailed me this regarding it....

" they are reporting that he got pulled over and refused to take the breathalyzer out of fear for an inaccurate reading. This means, you immediately get taken in no matter what. Once at the station, they determined he was not drunk and he was released 3 hours later. Had he actually been drunk, he would never have been released that quick."

if true, doesn't sound like any big deal at all and nothing that will jeopardize his playing status.

"Jackson was booked into county jail on a misdemeanor charge and released by 6 a.m., a spokesman with the Sheriff's Department said."

They don't book you on a charge unless they have a reason to. And of course he was released, anybody that can post bail is released pending their court date. It's quite possible that he could have still been a little drunk and they'd still have to release him, as long as he had someone (like friend/family or a taxi) taking him home. It's only the belligerent drunks or people who can't post bail that they keep in lockup.

I'm sure he will still be playing though, much like Holmes is still playing after being caught and arrested for simple marijuana possession (for which he was released from the station within the same day pending his court case).

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 03:35 PM
, much like Holmes is still playing after being caught and arrested for simple marijuana possession

Negative

Holmes was NEVER ARRESTED

He was cited - and the jaywalking ticket was sent in the mail.

ts888
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
wow. that's really smart :chuckle:

nothing wrong with doing that. It's not like you get out of the reading, you just take a blood test at the station which are known to be more accurate.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm sure he will still be playing though, much like Holmes is still playing after being caught and arrested for simple marijuana possession (for which he was released from the station within the same day pending his court case).

But Holmes was suspended by the team for exactly one game.

Vis
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM

The next game

fansince'76
01-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Much ado about nothing. He'll play Sunday.

ts888
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Much ado about nothing. He'll play Sunday.

I agree, this sounds like a non issue. Give the guy a break anyways. Was probably stressed and needed to knock a few back while thinking about being pummeled coming across the middle this Sunday.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 03:50 PM
The next game

Is that Vis major or Vis minor?

Tomlin benched Holmes a day before our Colts game because he was "The Guy" in the news.

Don't be "The Guy", that's his rule.

For the last time...

Holmes was NEVER ARRESTED, he was cited for a couple of blunts in a bogus car stop.

His (minor misdemeanor) jaywalking ticket was sent in the mail.

SteelCityMom
01-06-2009, 03:51 PM

Yeah but that was a regular season game, do you think they would have suspended him for a playoff game? Possibly, but I bet they would have weighed their options a little longer.

I had no idea he wasn't arrested either, I thought he was.

Vis
01-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Is that Vis major or Vis minor?

Tomlin benched Holmes a day before our Colts game because he was "The Guy" in the news.

Don't be "The Guy", that's his rule.

For the last time...

Holmes was NEVER ARRESTED, he was cited for a couple of blunts in a bogus car stop.

His (minor misdemeanor) jaywalking ticket was sent in the mail.

So Tomlin would be okay with the offense if no media attention attaches? I hope that isn't so.

Don't be a dumbass is a better rule than don't be caught being a dumbass.

Burghfan58
01-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Well I'm glad they released him :applaudit:

Yeah, we wouldn't want any excuses after the game.

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
From the SD Union Tribune:

SAN DIEGO — Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence early Tuesday morning in Clairemont, authorities said.
Jackson, 25, was driving east on state Route 52 near Interstate 805 just after 2:30 a.m. when he was pulled over for an observed traffic violation, California Highway Patrol Officer Brad Baehr said.

Jackson, a 6-foot-5, 230-pound player who has been with the team since 2005, was driving a 2008 GMC Sierra registered to him, Baehr said.
He was booked into county jail and was released by 6 a.m., Baehr said.

Jackson faces the misdemeanor DUI allegation as well as charges that he was driving on probation for a prior DUI, Baehr said. The results of a blood test are pending.

Jackson was at his career best in the 2008 season as the Chargers'second-leading receiver with 59 catches and 1,098 yards. He also scored 7 touchdowns.

Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith issued the following statement on Jackson's arrest:
"We're aware of the off-the-field issue involving Vincent. Obviously we're disappointed. We take these issues very seriously. Moving forward, we will monitor the situation and have no further comment."

After Saturday night's duel against the Indianapolis Colts, Chargers General Manger A.J. Smith called Jackson a true professional and ultimate team player.
“You win championships with players like Vincent Jackson,” Smith said.

Please note where I bolded above. Had this been a one time thing, I would have been the type to let this go with a very severe in-house reprimand and fine. But the fact it's happened before, and he committed an ADDITIONAL crime of driving drunk while on probation, increases the severity of the offense several times, in my opinion.

I really hated saying it as a Charger fan, but if I were Charger management I would look at keeping him out of the game. Yes, I understand innocent until proven guilty, and I am probably in a minority of Charger fans on this, but I personally view drunk driving as a very serious misdemeanor that could escalate into a major tragedy. Flagrantly violating the law AGAIN should be grounds for major sanctions from the team, if not the league. Indeed, a probation violation would be grounds for jailtime for most people.

Hopefully, the NFL will put out a uniform policy for fining players accused and convicted of DUI in the future, as well as all legal matters.

LVSteelersfan
01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Jackson will be a nonfactor in this game. Rivers will never get any long passes off down the field and that is the only thing Jackson is any good at.

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 04:55 PM
I had no idea he wasn't arrested either, I thought he was.

Actually, I don't believe it was even his vehicle. He was never ARRESTED.
He was cited for a minor misdemeanor and the citation sent in the mail.

Tomlin set the standard, but never suspended him for the game either, that's illegal under the CBA....he was placed "inactive" on the roster.

Binary Bolt Fan
01-06-2009, 05:05 PM
I'll never understand why NFL players - especially when it's down to crunch time like this, go out clubbing and then drive themselves home?

How dumb do you have to be? Take a limo! Better still, have one of the local babes drive you home!

At least he's not a strip club throwing a pile of cash in the air... but jeez...:banging:

stlrz fan
01-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Really Buckling down before the big game!!!

steelpride12
01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Its final. He will play in this game. He was never arrested, just cited for a DUI, got charged and release.

revefsreleets
01-06-2009, 05:20 PM
"I'm Vincent Efffing Jackson, and I'm worth millions!"

Oh, wait....

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I really hated saying it as a Charger fan, but if I were Charger management I would look at keeping him out of the game. .

A plus in your guy's favor.....the word's "stripper", "hooker" or "gunshots fired" weren't in his arrest report.:hatsoff:

HometownGal
01-06-2009, 06:01 PM
From the SD Union Tribune:

Please note where I bolded above. Had this been a one time thing, I would have been the type to let this go with a very severe in-house reprimand and fine. But the fact it's happened before, and he committed an ADDITIONAL crime of driving drunk while on probation, increases the severity of the offense several times, in my opinion.

I really hated saying it as a Charger fan, but if I were Charger management I would look at keeping him out of the game. Yes, I understand innocent until proven guilty, and I am probably in a minority of Charger fans on this, but I personally view drunk driving as a very serious misdemeanor that could escalate into a major tragedy. Flagrantly violating the law AGAIN should be grounds for major sanctions from the team, if not the league. Indeed, a probation violation would be grounds for jailtime for most people.

Hopefully, the NFL will put out a uniform policy for fining players accused and convicted of DUI in the future, as well as all legal matters.

Thanks for posting the article and as always - very classy post.:drink:

I can't say I disagree with you. Had this been a Steelers player, I would feel the same way.

However - I think it would play to our advantage to have VJ play on Sunday and fill his Gator Ade bottles with VO. :chuckle:

SteelersinCA
01-06-2009, 06:16 PM
As a criminal defense attorney in SAN DIEGO, I may know something about this.

Being arrested or not arrested is inconsequential. What matters is what you are charged with. So whether Holmes was Arrested before or not make little to no difference. That being said...

VJ did the smartest thing he could do, refuse the breath test and take a blood test at the station. Since he's been through this before with a prior DUI, he knew what course to take. Blood results take a couple weeks to get back, so I wouldn't hold my breath on the Chargers or the NFL doing anything about it until you see some blood results.

If he is convicted of a 2nd DUI he'll get a 2k fine a 1 yr mandatory license suspension, 18 months of alcohol classes, a MADD class, and some public work days ranging from 5-15 depending on high his blood alcohol level was. He'll also be on probation for 5 years.

Have fun VJ:drink:

Boltheads
01-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Way too focus for one of the biggest games of your career VJ...against a shutdown defense. Damn, this type of behavior pi$#es me off.

I need to go make a profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltertail and simmer down a bit.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2009, 06:38 PM
OK, prior DUI charges and getting stopped while on probation???? Who does he think he is..........Jeremy Stevens??

You west coast charger fans should give him the phone # to the Jim Rome drunk bus. :chuckle:

sdnunes
01-06-2009, 06:40 PM
If he is convicted of a 2nd DUI he'll get a 2k fine a 1 yr mandatory license suspension, 18 months of alcohol classes, a MADD class, and some public work days ranging from 5-15 depending on high his blood alcohol level was. He'll also be on probation for 5 years.

Would this be considered a second offense as far as the NFL is concerned? If so, I think it's a mandatory 2-or-4 game suspension... what did Jared Allen get?

nickelbolt
01-06-2009, 06:58 PM
As a criminal defense attorney in SAN DIEGO, I may know something about this.

Being arrested or not arrested is inconsequential. What matters is what you are charged with. So whether Holmes was Arrested before or not make little to no difference. That being said...

VJ did the smartest thing he could do, refuse the breath test and take a blood test at the station. Since he's been through this before with a prior DUI, he knew what course to take. Blood results take a couple weeks to get back, so I wouldn't hold my breath on the Chargers or the NFL doing anything about it until you see some blood results.

Told ya' these kids love to party. http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/8359/emotdohpb9.gif

HometownGal
01-06-2009, 08:24 PM
a MADD class

He would be a very lucky young man to come out of that class with minor cuts and bruises. Those MADD mothers are brutal when it comes to drunks, and rightfully so.

When I worked with criminal attorneys and we represented our client in court, the MADD mothers were always there in the back of the courtroom for all DWI hearings and let me tell you - the sentence the defendant received was far more lenient than the verbal lashings he/she got before and after the hearing. :chuckle:

welder4pit
01-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Its final. He will play in this game. He was never arrested, just cited for a DUI, got charged and release.
He is still on probation for another dui too.:tt03:

Steelthe#1dynasty
01-06-2009, 08:52 PM
No big deal. He will have a chauffer to Heinz on Sunday.

I expect that Ike Taylor will be his personal chapparone on sunday to keep him out of trouble. :wink:

Hilarious!

lilyoder6
01-06-2009, 09:13 PM
what a dumbass... in playoff time too...

stillers4me
01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
VJ did the smartest thing he could do, refuse the breath test and take a blood test at the station. Since he's been through this before with a prior DUI, he knew what course to take.

It always helps to have experience at these kind of things. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Being arrested or not arrested is inconsequential.

Perceptions are EVERYTHING barrister, in the court of public opinion.

What about this?

*New DUI Laws -- Zero Tolerance* *23154(a) CVC*

A new section was added to the vehicle code. Section 23154(a) of the VC makes it unlawful for a person who is on probation for DUI to operate a motor vehicle at any time with a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.01% or greater as determined by a preliminary alcohol screening device (PAS). The legislature also wrote into the law that the driver who is on probation for DUI is presumed to have given his or her consent to a preliminary alcohol screening test or other chemical test for the purpose of determining the presence of alcohol in their blood stream. If the driver refuses to take a test then the officer shall inform the driver that his/her refusal will result in the suspension of his/her license for 1-3 years. And that is just for having a 0.01% reading on a PAS.**

Polamalu43
01-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Arrested last night and spent the night in jail. Oops.

Just breaking....

http://bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17188

should this foo not be benched?? i hope so, that means zero chance of the chargeless, winning on sunday. :tt03::tt02:

nickelbolt
01-06-2009, 10:30 PM
should this foo not be benched?? i hope so, that means zero chance of the chargeless, winning on sunday. :tt03::tt02:

So that means you think... WITH HIM the chargers have a chance? :noidea:

nickelbolt
01-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Sounds like he may have some kind of defense.

I hope so:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3814251

Fire Haley
01-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Jackson, in a brief statement released through the team, said he didn't think charges would be filed against him.

"In the event they are, I look forward to clearing my name and proving my innocence," he said.

That's what all the drunks say.

SteelersinCA
01-06-2009, 11:18 PM

What about this?

A new section was added to the vehicle code. Section 23154(a) of the VC makes it unlawful for a person who is on probation for DUI to operate a motor vehicle at any time with a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.01% or greater as determined by a preliminary alcohol screening device (PAS). The legislature also wrote into the law that the driver who is on probation for DUI is presumed to have given his or her consent to a preliminary alcohol screening test or other chemical test for the purpose of determining the presence of alcohol in their blood stream. If the driver refuses to take a test then the officer shall inform the driver that his/her refusal will result in the suspension of his/her license for 1-3 years. And that is just for having a 0.01% reading on a PAS.**

You are absolutely correct. The way it used to work (don't know if it has changed, this will be one of the first to come through the court since the new laws took effect) they were simply charged with another DUI. The probation violation meant nothing. It takes a month or so to get his first arraignment so most likely the Super Bowl will be played and gone by the time this shakes out.

Technically speaking if you are on probation you can't drive with any measurable blood alcohol so I find his "defense" laughable. On the same token, it's exactly what I'd have my client saying as well. We'll find out how CA handles the new laws, but I can assure you one thing, it won't make a damn bit of difference for the game. Unless, you count the distraction toll it could have, but legally speaking, I doubt we see anything come of it.

The refusal aspect of it plays out as such: You impliedly consent to submit to one test in CA if you are suspected of drunk driving. It can be a breath, blood, or urine test. The breath tests given on the side of the road do not count. You have every right to refuse the roadside breath test as well as any field sobriety monkey tests and, as always, you don't have to answer any questions. Once you get to the station you must submit to one of the 3 tests or they will forcibly remove blood from you.

VJ did the right thing after the stop. Still.....:rofl: Here we go Steelers.... :tt03:

steelreserve
01-06-2009, 11:58 PM

What about this?

0.01%? Wow. I'd probably fail that after three days of not drinking.

SteelersinCA
01-07-2009, 12:09 AM
0.01%? Wow. I'd probably fail that after three days of not drinking.

That's half a beer.

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 12:11 AM
The refusal aspect of it plays out as such: You impliedly consent to submit to one test in CA if you are suspected of drunk driving. It can be a breath, blood, or urine test. The breath tests given on the side of the road do not count. You have every right to refuse the roadside breath test as well as any field sobriety monkey tests and, as always, you don't have to answer any questions. Once you get to the station you must submit to one of the 3 tests or they will forcibly remove blood from you.

VJ did the right thing after the stop. Still.....:rofl: Here we go Steelers.... :tt03:

huh, in NM, if you refuse the breathylizer and still found guilty, it is an automatic 1 year suspension of ones license as oppose\d to a much lighter sentence if you simply submit.

SteelersinCA
01-07-2009, 12:20 AM
huh, in NM, if you refuse the breathylizer and still found guilty, it is an automatic 1 year suspension of ones license as oppose\d to a much lighter sentence if you simply submit.

Yeah if you refuse the test at the station, you get dinged with a 1 yr suspension too.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-07-2009, 02:13 AM
What difference does it make. It's not like he makes a difference. No catches in Colts game?

Polamalu43
01-07-2009, 02:16 AM
What difference does it make. It's not like he makes a difference. No catches in Colts game?

Yup, thats correct that's why i was shocked that the termite sproles did all the damage.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Jackson wasn't catching balls because of the coverage scheme....the Colts were counting on Gates injury which turned out to to be a bad decision. This also left Chambers open and Sproles just added to it.

Don't be fooled, Vincent Jackson is dangerous and the Chargers have a lot of offensive weapons.

Shut that profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilterish mouth of yours!

SteelersinCA
01-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Something tells me you'll be around long....

SteelersinCA
01-07-2009, 02:54 AM
Actually this isnt the place for smack, so either go to that forum or start talking football, if you can. Maybe you just like posting not so humorous youtube videos iunno.:noidea:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-07-2009, 03:57 AM
Haha. You guys are alright. :wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyfhAcbxyr4

Night.

lol... Nice, way to bring up a game that is 14 years old. I was still playing with G.I. Joes then. What an idiot! :banging: