PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger speaks about his concussion

mesaSteeler
01-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Roethlisberger speaks about his concussion
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/06/sports/steelers/doc496364ffb6a78141429362.txt

By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:05 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — Now that his headache has gone away and his thought process cleared up, Ben Roethlisberger has the OK to play again.

On Monday morning, he passed his last concussion exam. A few hours later, he was back on the practice squad for the first time since his scary head injury in the regular-season finale.

“I plan on being out there 100 percent ready to go,” he said of Sunday’s AFC Divisional Playoff Game against the San Diego Chargers.

Roethlisberger sustained his third confirmed concussion in the last two-and-a-half years late in a 31-0 rout of Cleveland on Dec. 28. After being drilled by two Browns linebackers and smacking his head off the Heinz Field grass, Roethlisberger appeared to be injured seriously.

For 15 minutes, physicians and trainers attended to Roethlisberger before he was placed on a stretcher and carted off the field.

After the game, coach Mike Tomlin reported that Roethlisberger didn’t have any serious head or neck injuries, and that the official diagnosis was “only” a concussion. Tomlin also said that the Steelers expected to have Roethlisberger back for their first playoff game.

This past week, a number of fans and some radio talk show hosts criticized Roethlisberger over all the attention he receives whenever he’s been injured.

One media member even called Roethlisberger a “drama queen.”

But the fact of the matter is that whenever an athlete experiences numbness in his extremities, it’s a serious situation.

“It was scary,” Roethlisberger said. “I mean, when you can’t feel your arms you get kind of scared.

“Yeah, I couldn’t feel them. They pricked me with a pin and I couldn’t feel it. When you see the doctor look at the trainer with that look, it kind of scares you a little bit.”

Last week when the Steelers practiced twice during their bye, Roethlisberger didn’t participate. He just watched with the hood of his sweatshirt covering his head. He did, however, spend plenty of time with the team’s medical staff.

Roethlisberger was examined several times and took the computerized ImPACT test, which measures symptoms of athletes who’ve suffered concussions, at least three times.

“I don’t know. I forget,” he said when asked if he passed any of the ImPACT tests he took last week. “But I passed (Monday) morning. So I’m good.”

markymarc
01-07-2009, 07:24 AM
I am sure Ben will be very tired talking about his concussion this week. The only way to shut everyone up is to go out on Sunday and lead the team to victory.

Justin Otstott
01-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Lol I seen this on NFL Network...ben is a nut.