PDA

View Full Version : Chargers weak Schedule

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-07-2009, 06:53 AM
I was looking at the Chargers schedule this year and it appeared pretty weak to me.
What are your thoughts???

http://www.chargers.com/schedule/schedule.htm

HometownGal
01-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Their regular season schedule was a cake-walk compared to ours. Other than the Patsies, NO and of course Indy in the first round of the playoffs, they won against garbage teams and lost to teams that either made the playoffs or had winning records.

I still never take any team lightly and though I strongly believe the Steelers will have the W come Sunday night, the Bolts are going to try to put up a fight. We need to crush their momentum and take them out of the game early.

steelpride12
01-07-2009, 07:25 AM
You know weak schedule or not every team becomes a different kind of animal in the playoffs.
Pats were on regular season win that was impressive, but you can see the desperation with the win Against Indy at home, and they have become a threat bad record or not.

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2009, 07:38 AM
KC twice and Oakland twice = Cincy Twice and Cleveland twice for us. So that's 4 games that are "cake" each.

NFC South was tough. Carolina, Atlanta, New O and Tampa were equal to the NFC East to me, Wash, Dallas, Philly and Giants.

So that's 10 equal games in my eyes.

That leaves 6 More.

AFC East vs AFC South.

Miami, NE, Buffalo and Jets. All but Buffalo had a serious shot at the playoffs. vs Jacksonville, Indy, Tennessee and Houston.

I say that about equals out as well.

Then there are the 2 we had vs baltimore and 2 they had against Denver. Those 2 were much tougher for us, but Denver is a rivalry game so you can't discount it.

That leaves their 2 games against the winners of the AFC South and AFC North vs our 2 games vs the AFC East winner and the AFC West winner.

We played SD and NE, they Played Indy and Pittsburgh.

You could argue those equal out.

So the way I see it, they had a very tough road, but since they did have to play US and Denver twice, that's about the only difference I really see.

Pretty good schedule for them. But just not as tough as ours because we had Baltimore twice.

Jammer
01-07-2009, 08:09 AM
GOOD take

stillers4me
01-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Still, they ended up 8-8. Yes, we lost 4 games. But Pittsburgh did what good teams are supposed to do......beat the bad teams. The only game we looked awful in was the Philly game and the other 3 we could have won had a few things gone our way. And those 3 were the Giants, The Colts and the Titans. Not shabby teams.

stlrtruck
01-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Weak schedule or not, they are in the playoffs and playing good football - I'll give them that much but sooner or later that roller coaster has to crash.

I belive that crash happens in Pittsburgh Sunday night.

ts888
01-07-2009, 09:01 AM
I posted this somewhere in another thread but will say it again......our schedule ended up 5th hardest and Chargers ended up 12th hardest. Those are the facts.

so, while, yes, of course we played a tougher schedule, they didn't play the cake wake schedule that people seem to think they did. The difference of course is that we won those games against good opponents while they lost many of them. However, they almost always lost by close margins so it's a mistake to think they can't hang with top quality teams.

the Titans and Patriots on the other hand ? 25th and 26th hardest, they had easy roads.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/1/1/706808/final-strength-of-schedule

Rhee Rhee
01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
I still never take any team lightly and though I strongly believe the Steelers will have the W come Sunday night, the Bolts are going to try to put up a fight. We need to crush their momentum and take them out of the game early.

AMEN to that!

put them out of their misery early with ben's arm and grind 'em with the running game in the second half... then let willie do his thing with sean mchugh in the backfield after we jump out to a sizeable lead... that was the staple of the our superbowl team and 04 team and IMO a 15-1 season and a superbowl ring the next season wasn't too bad!

MasterOfPuppets
01-07-2009, 09:16 AM
they beat the 2-14 chiefs by 1 point,......both games ....:coffee:

Hines0wnz
01-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Last I checked this is the playoffs, not the regular season. :coffee:

baphamet
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
i don't think the regular season means much at this point other than the fact we have to go to your house in crappy weather and win on the road.

the chargers seem to be playing playoff quality football right now, that is all that matters.

baphamet
01-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Last I checked this is the playoffs, not the regular season. :coffee:

hahaha your sig made me lol in real life :laughing:

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 12:10 PM
the chargers seem to be playing playoff quality football right now, that is all that matters.:chuckle: for the chargers that means win the first game, lose the second. check it yourself.

baphamet
01-07-2009, 12:15 PM
:chuckle: for the chargers that means win the first game, lose the second. check it yourself.

hey, we have won in the playoffs already, you guys are still searching for that win under the new regime. :hatsoff:

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
hey, we have won in the playoffs already, you guys are still searching for that win under the new regime. :hatsoff:yeah, and you beat the colts in the playoffs last year too. hows that workin out for ya? you still got the hat, or did you replace it with this years "8-8 afc east champs" hat? :chuckle:

SBL1721
01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
hey, we have won in the playoffs already, you guys are still searching for that win under the new regime. :hatsoff:

Yeah and Ben better be waring his extra padded helmet this time. just sayin'

HometownGal
01-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah and Ben better be waring his extra padded helmet this time. just sayin'

Yeah and Patty Cake had better make sure the Bolts trainers have a helmet on hand for his noggin after the Steelers D makes a turf pizza out of him. :toofunny::tt02:

baphamet
01-07-2009, 01:57 PM
yeah, and you beat the colts in the playoffs last year too. hows that workin out for ya? you still got the hat, or did you replace it with this years "8-8 afc east champs" hat? :chuckle:

better than going one and done, how did that work out for ya? :hatsoff: :chuckle:

stlrtruck
01-07-2009, 02:18 PM
better than going one and done, how did that work out for ya? :hatsoff: :chuckle:

About as well as all those playoff victories bringing a Lombardi to san diego. Oh wait, that sucks - you don't have any! :toofunny: :rofl:

Chargers fans - excited about being 3-1 in the playoffs under Norv Turner and ZERO Super Bowls - now that is priceless!

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 02:22 PM
better than going one and done, how did that work out for ya? :hatsoff: :chuckle:its working out rather nicely...

we went out and got stronger, better, healthier, and hugrier. we dominated the toughest schedule this league has seen in years and earned the #2 seed in the playoffs.

sure beats going 14-2 and then firing the head coach :noidea:

Polamalu43
01-07-2009, 02:55 PM
the chargeless had a weak ass schedule man really. that's why they did not deserve to be in the playoffs when you just beat KC by 1 point in 2 games , now thats just weak!

VegasStlrFan
01-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I look at it like this: they played 4 playoff teams (1&3) and the NFCS (1&3). Non playoff In conference teams (AFCW) dont really matter because they will always play each other tough no matter what their record. Not the easiest road to the playoffs (aka Miami), but they should have been way better than 8&8 to be getting this much press and talking as much smack as they are. If we had that schedule, I would have been disappointed with anything less than 14 wins.

I know their playing hot, but in reallity this is the equivalent of an average MAC, WAC, Mountain West, Conference USA or you pick the conference stepping into a game against the top schools; USC, Florida, Ohio, Texas, or Oklahoma. Not to offend the fans of the non football factory schools but its really not the same competition (I did say average, Boise St was undefeated when they beat OK, so the underdog can win but they have to be the best of their group). Comparing their schedule with ours is like saying my Grand Prix is faster than your Z06 (corvette for the non gear heads).

It is the playoffs and anything can happen, but I'm not buying the LT doesn't matter, Gates ankle is fine, Sproles and Bennet are too much to handle, 10-11, Norv's taking us to the promised land BS. I won't be surprised if this game looks like the fish / ratbirds. Ben might be rusty and he may not finish the game, but Lefty will light up that secondary like the Vegas strip.

I actually would like to see boys in powder blue get a trophy some day, but it aint going to be this year! 1 and done, you blew your wad against one of the Manning sisters you won't see the other this year.

sdnunes
01-08-2009, 02:50 AM
... If we had that schedule, I would have been disappointed with anything less than 14 wins.

... Comparing their schedule with ours is like saying my Grand Prix is faster than your Z06 (corvette for the non gear heads).

Chargers S.O.S. = .515625
Steelers S.O.S. = .519685
Difference ........ = .00406 (or less than one half of one percentage point)

Like the drill sergeant said to Forrest Gump: "You're a god damn genius!"

VegasStlrFan
01-08-2009, 10:30 AM

your SOS at the start of the was 31st to our 1st, you went 8-8 to our 12-4, you played 4 playoff teams to our 7....your right, almost no difference at all....:doh:

ts888
01-08-2009, 10:34 AM
your SOS at the start of the was 31st to our 1st, you went 8-8 to our 12-4, you played 4 playoff teams to our 7....your right, almost no difference at all....:doh:

gotta be honest here....the beginning of the year SOS means nothing. Who really cares about something based on 2007 records ? We did play a tougher schedule than the Chargers but nowhere near as great a difference as we'd like to believe.

none of that matters anyways. 1 game matters........:tt:

The_WARDen
01-08-2009, 10:42 AM

Stats can say anything..

Team A has 3 opponents that are 12-4 and 3 opponents that are 8-8.
Team B has 6 opponents that are 10-6.

Both teams' S.O.S. would be .625 but I would argue that Team B had the rougher road.

baphamet
01-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I look at it like this: they played 4 playoff teams (1&3) and the NFCS (1&3). Non playoff In conference teams (AFCW) dont really matter because they will always play each other tough no matter what their record. Not the easiest road to the playoffs (aka Miami), but they should have been way better than 8&8 to be getting this much press and talking as much smack as they are. If we had that schedule, I would have been disappointed with anything less than 14 wins.

I know their playing hot, but in reallity this is the equivalent of an average MAC, WAC, Mountain West, Conference USA or you pick the conference stepping into a game against the top schools; USC, Florida, Ohio, Texas, or Oklahoma. Not to offend the fans of the non football factory schools but its really not the same competition (I did say average, Boise St was undefeated when they beat OK, so the underdog can win but they have to be the best of their group). Comparing their schedule with ours is like saying my Grand Prix is faster than your Z06 (corvette for the non gear heads).

It is the playoffs and anything can happen, but I'm not buying the LT doesn't matter, Gates ankle is fine, Sproles and Bennet are too much to handle, 10-11, Norv's taking us to the promised land BS. I won't be surprised if this game looks like the fish / ratbirds. Ben might be rusty and he may not finish the game, but Lefty will light up that secondary like the Vegas strip.

I actually would like to see boys in powder blue get a trophy some day, but it aint going to be this year! 1 and done, you blew your wad against one of the Manning sisters you won't see the other this year.

i am sorry but it is nothing like that. this is the NFL not college, the difference between the schools you mentioned is huge, are you saying that the chargers don't stand a chance against your mighty steelers?

that has to be one of the most ridiculous homer posts i think i have ever read, congrats! :applaudit:

VegasStlrFan
01-08-2009, 03:05 PM
i am sorry but it is nothing like that. this is the NFL not college, the difference between the schools you mentioned is huge, are you saying that the chargers don't stand a chance against your mighty steelers?

that has to be one of the most ridiculous homer posts i think i have ever read, congrats! :applaudit:

The analogy may be extreme, but my point is you have medicore record vs a weaker schedule. Hardly grounds for the "lookout here we come" BS I've seen on here and am hearing from some of the bolt fans I know.

I did say anything can happen.

nickelbolt
01-08-2009, 03:23 PM
The analogy may be extreme, but my point is you have medicore record vs a weaker schedule. Hardly grounds for the "lookout here we come" BS I've seen on here and am hearing from some of the bolt fans I know.

I did say anything can happen.

We're all looking for logical reasons (in football terms) why the Chargers should win. If they are there, we'll find 'em... or maybe we'll just make 'em up like some are doing.

But really... I think it does come down to the "anything can happen" scenario.

We've got a "hot" team that appears to have found its guts after being one of the season's biggest disappointments... versus a GOLIATH that established its place at the top of the food chain throughout that same span.

So it goes. Anything can happen. Its up to our Chargers to prove it. But the reality is... they already did prove it. Because most of us had them dead & buried at mid-season. (special thanks to Jay Cutler & his hapless stable of donkeys) :chuckle: