PDA

View Full Version : Woodson, Dawson among Hall finalists

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Woodson, Dawson among Hall finalists
By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Defensive back Rod Woodson and center Dermontti Dawson could become the first Steelers players from the post-1970s era to make the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The two, along with former Steelers assistant head coach Russ Grimm, who starred at Southmoreland High School and Pitt before embarking on a successful NFL playing career, are among the 17 finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2009.

A minimum of four and a maximum of seven from the finalists will be enshrined in Canton, Ohio.

Voting will take place Jan. 31, the day before Super Bowl XLIII. Players must receive a minimum of 80 percent of the vote to make it into the Hall of Fame.

Woodson, who played for the Steelers from 1987-96, is eligible for the Hall of Fame for the first time this year. Considered one of the greatest defensive backs of all time, Woodson was selected to 11 Pro Bowls and earned All-Pro honors six times. He intercepted 71 passes during a playing career that also included stints with the San Francisco 49ers, Baltimore Ravens and Oakland Raiders. Woodson still holds the NFL record for most interceptions returned for touchdowns (12).

Dawson, who played his entire career with the Steelers (1988-2000), is a first-time finalist for the Hall of Fame. He was named first-team All-Pro for six consecutive seasons (1993-98) and played in 170 consecutive games before a hamstring injury ended the streak in 1999.

Grimm, who played for the Washington Redskins from 1981-91, was one of the anchors on the vaunted "Hogs" offensive line. The Scottdale native earned All-Pro honors four consecutive years (1983-86) and played on three Super Bowl-winning teams.

Grimm was a finalist for the Hall of Fame two years ago.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_605966.html

RoethlisBURGHer
01-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Woodson is a shoe-in and Dirt Dawson better make it, he was the best offensive lineman of his era.

I hope Grimm makes it too, that'd be sweet.

I will be there this summer cheering on Woodson and hopefully Dawson and Grimm.

stlrtruck
01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
If they make it, I'll probably take The Princess to Canton for the ceremony!!

HometownGal
01-07-2009, 10:14 AM
I'd love nothing more than to see these 3 deserving men get enshrined in the HOF! :applaudit:

I was a little torqued off the way Woodson left Pittsburgh, but he's one of my all-time fave Steelers and I'm keeping my :hope: for him!

revefsreleets
01-07-2009, 11:35 AM
If Woodson isn't consensus first ballot, something is VERY wrong with HOF voting. I mean, I'm talking clear anti-Pittsburgh bias.

I've made my position on Dirt very clear. It's a travesty that he wasn't in in his first year of eligibility.

TackleMeBen
01-07-2009, 11:39 AM
i think woodson, smith, and sharpe get in as first year on the ballot.

MDSteel15
01-07-2009, 12:26 PM
If they make it, I'll probably take The Princess to Canton for the ceremony!!

Pick me up on your way through!!! :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2009, 12:29 PM
woodson will get in first ballot. that's not even a question. I feel for Grimm but my heart wants Dawson more, center for 12 years. As a team, you can't ask for more from a Lineman.

KeiselPower99
01-07-2009, 12:56 PM
If they make it Ill be there also. I wish Kevin Greene would get the recognition he deserves also. But 2 is better then none.