PDA

View Full Version : Peyton, the big-time QB mostly likely to choke in the clutch.

TackleMeBen
01-07-2009, 10:18 AM
this is postseason play. jason whitlock wrote an article saying that he thinks manning is a choke in the post season. do you agree?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9033410/NFL-Truths:-Peyton's-a-choker,-LT-is-done-in-S.D.

revefsreleets
01-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Perhaps.

He's WAY off comparing Bettis to Smith, though. WAY off. Emmitt Smith is borderline retarded, while Bettis was able to get into Notre Dame. Gimme a break...

fansince'76
01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Perhaps.

He's WAY off comparing Bettis to Smith, though. WAY off. Emmitt Smith is borderline retarded, while Bettis was able to get into Notre Dame. Gimme a break...

Exactly. There's a huge difference between getting a player's name wrong and possessing a complete inability to conjugate verbs.

TackleMeBen
01-07-2009, 10:34 AM
i think bettis does well on NBC.

fansince'76
01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
i think bettis does well on NBC.

Agreed. Bettis mistakenly calling Darren Sproles "Darryl" Sproles is exactly that, a mistake. On the other hand, Smith's mangling of the English language as a whole on a regular basis is complete idiocy.

TackleMeBen
01-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Agreed. Bettis mistakenly calling Darren Sproles "Darryl" Sproles is exactly that, a mistake. On the other hand, Smith's mangling of the English language as a whole on a regular basis is complete idiocy.
i cant stand to watch smith on espn. i think i can make out maybe three words..lol.. and sometimes you make a mistake when you are live and you are talking about something and you have all these thoughts going thru your mind at one time.

Crushzilla
01-07-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm sure Jason Whitlock doesn't have people to go back and proofread his articles before they hit the World Wide Web :coffee:

steelergirl07
01-07-2009, 01:07 PM
I enjoy watching Bettis. Even my husband enjoys him, and he's not a Steelers fan so there is no bias. Lol. I hate listening to Tiki. Can't stand um.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-07-2009, 01:43 PM
8. While I'm on the subject of "Football Night in America," would someone please stop Jerome Bettis before he goes Emmitt Smiff?

Look, I understand that athletes desperately want to stay in the limelight and earn a check for doing very little real work. But not every former NFL star is cut out to talk on TV.

The pairing of Millen with Jerome "Darryl Sproles" Bettis yes, the Bus called Darren Sproles by his wrong name twice makes the top-10 list of all-time worst TV decisions, too. Being entertaining and insightful in short TV bursts is a talent no different than having the vision to run through tiny NFL holes.

The Bus comes across on TV like a squatty fullback trying to play QB.

I'd love to play dominoes against The Bus and Emmitt Smiff. They just don't understand that all money ain't good money ... even in this economy.

Seriously? Screwing up someone's name is not nearly as bad as totally butchering the English language.

Jerome Bettis went to Notre Dame where you have to be a good student to get in and stay in.

Emmit Smith went to Florida, where they will take any run-of-the-mill student, especially if he can play football or basketball.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I dont think Manning is a choke artist, he has rarely been surrounded with a complete team and when they finally got him some kind of a defense....we won a SB. He has something like 32 career comeback wins in the 4th quarter or OT, compared to John Unitas 31.

Bettis I thought was terrible last season on NBC, but has improved this year. I wondered if he actually went to Notre Dame, but he is backing it up more this year. Emmitt Smith on the other hand looks like he went to Miami and not Florida. They call it the "U" because players cant spell M-I-A-M-I

Counting out LT already, blaming Atlanta for not blitzing on a specific play and criticizing Stuart Scott for being over the top is all a bit crazy after this column.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Oh....I do agree with him that Matt Millen as an analyst was a bad idea. It felt as creepy as I can imagine O.J. doing an infomercial for Ginsu knives would be.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Oh....I do agree with him that Matt Millen as an analyst was a bad idea. It felt as creepy as I can imagine O.J. doing an infomercial for Ginsu knives would be.

:rofl:

It was a bad idea. Millen should have stayed out of the spotlight until the 2010 season, IMHO. A year with no Millen in the spotlight would have given people time to forget about his aweful job as GM of the Detroit Lions.

Ishkabibble
01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
LOL @ Ginsu knives. In any event, I think the guy makes substantive points but for the most part, you spend your time just trying to figure out if he's even credible. In Detroit, they must laugh (or cry) their collective butts off during his segments.

TackleMeBen
01-08-2009, 08:14 AM
LOL @ Ginsu knives. In any event, I think the guy makes substantive points but for the most part, you spend your time just trying to figure out if he's even credible. In Detroit, they must laugh (or cry) their collective butts off during his segments.
a lot of people in detroit are upset with millen and thought he shouldnt be on there. he only spent about 2-3 days with the team he ran it, the other time he spent at his home in PA. i think the lion fans are putting up walls around the state to keep him out. :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
01-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Hmm Peyton not Romo huh??? O yea thats right you have to be able to get to the playoffs and win every once and awhile. My bad.

Edman
01-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Peyton Manning is not a choker, but you have to admit he has underachieved in the playoffs.

SteelCurtain7
01-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Emmitt Smiff got blowed up by the Bus!!!!! :rofl:

SteelCurtain7
01-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Peyton Manning is not a choker, but you have to admit he has underachieved in the playoffs.

He is in the post-season...when results count the most.

Godfather
01-08-2009, 09:12 PM
If you have a ring, you're not the biggest choker, and it's a stretch to call you a choker at all.

11 playoff teams lose every postseason.

Ishkabibble
01-09-2009, 02:24 PM
If you think about it, the most ironic thing of all is that in '06, the season Peyton won it all, it was the Patriots (of all teams) that did most of their heavy lifting. Without NE winning on the road over the best team in football, San Diego, Manning doesn't have an AFC Championship Game at home the next week. IMO, the Chargers would've run all over that Colts D. Indy was good against the pass that year but would've been manhandled by a much bigger SD Offensive Line. LT (in his prime), Michael Turner, Darren Sproles....a bad matchup for the Colts.

fansince'76
01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
If you think about it, the most ironic thing of all is that in '06, the season Peyton won it all, it was the Patriots (of all teams) that did most of their heavy lifting. Without NE winning on the road over the best team in football, San Diego, Manning doesn't have an AFC Championship Game at home the next week. IMO, the Chargers would've run all over that Colts D. Indy was good against the pass that year but would've been manhandled by a much bigger SD Offensive Line. LT (in his prime), Michael Turner, Darren Sproles....a bad matchup for the Colts.

What does that matter? LT ran all over the Pats in the first half of that divisional game, but Marty inexplicably took the ball out of his hands for pretty much the entire second half, and for lack of a better explanation, to apparently try and dispel the "Martyball" image. The only irony here is that Martyball would have won that game for the Chargers had they stuck to it for the entire game. Who's to say had SD won that game by taking it out of LT's hands in the second half the way they did that they wouldn't have done the same thing against the Colts? Nice try, though. The Pats didn't "win" anything for the Colts that year. :coffee:

tony hipchest
01-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Nice try, though. The Pats didn't "win" anything for the Colts that year. :coffee:of course they did. didnt you know the pats also won us the sb in 05? they softened up the donkos for us. :chuckle:

fansince'76
01-09-2009, 02:52 PM
of course they did. didnt you know the pats also won us the sb in 05? they softened up the donkos for us. :chuckle:

Of course I knew that! It's common knowledge that the "Royalty of the NFL" just decided to give all the 31 other 2nd-rate teams a chance in all the other seasons during the last 5 years too. So, not only are they the bestest, most wonderfulest sports franchise (that's ALL sports, not only football) in the history of the whole wide universe, they are also the most thoughtful and altruistic! :rolleyes:

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 10:15 PM
He is not a choke artist for many reasons. It's not his fault his team lost lost last week. Look at his stats.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 10:15 PM
A choke artist is more so Tony Romo. Peyton won a SB too.

BrandonCarr39
01-09-2009, 10:32 PM
this is postseason play. jason whitlock wrote an article saying that he thinks manning is a choke in the post season. do you agree?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9033410/NFL-Truths:-Peyton's-a-choker,-LT-is-done-in-S.D.

No-the reason why the Colts have struggled in the playoffs during the Peyton-era is b/c they have a POS run D. Remember-to be successful in the playoffs, you have to run the ball AND stop the run. The Colts did neither in most of their playoff losses.

And also-for some reason, the Colts O never matched up well with 3-4 D's. When they played us in the '06 season, we were without our D caption(Greg Ellis), and we still whipped their tails.

BrandonCarr39
01-09-2009, 10:35 PM
He is not a choke artist for many reasons. It's not his fault his team lost lost last week. Look at his stats.

And less not forget too that Dungy isn't exactly the best playoff-prep coach. His biggest drawback is that he thinks his teams need to get as much, albeit too much REST going into the playoffs.

Not to knock on your '05 Super Bowl year, but remember Dungy rested his starters for the last TWO regular season games going into the playoffs.

Look at the Parcells coaching tree(Belichick, Coughlin, etc)-they make sure their teams play at a high intensity level at ALL times in the regular season no matter what.

Godfather
01-11-2009, 10:32 AM
And less not forget too that Dungy isn't exactly the best playoff-prep coach. His biggest drawback is that he thinks his teams need to get as much, albeit too much REST going into the playoffs.

Not to knock on your '05 Super Bowl year, but remember Dungy rested his starters for the last TWO regular season games going into the playoffs.

Look at the Parcells coaching tree(Belichick, Coughlin, etc)-they make sure their teams play at a high intensity level at ALL times in the regular season no matter what.

Good point. Dungy's strong suit is being a teacher and motivator.

BrandonCarr39
01-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Good point. Dungy's strong suit is being a teacher and motivator.

Speaking of which, wow-how did THREE bye teams **** the bed this weekend? The Steelers were the only ones that came out fresh, with lots of energy, and not to mention too the coaching staff came out with a very good game plan albeit adjustments from the reg season.

The Titans, Panthers, and Giants just didn't look physically nor mentally ready to play.

stlrtruck
01-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Add Philip Rivers to the list of QB most likely to choke too!!!

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Speaking of which, wow-how did THREE bye teams **** the bed this weekend? The Steelers were the only ones that came out fresh, with lots of energy, and not to mention too the coaching staff came out with a very good game plan albeit adjustments from the reg season.

The Titans, Panthers, and Giants just didn't look physically nor mentally ready to play.Bye-week preparation laid the groundwork for Sunday's dominance. The Steelers practiced for only three days but put the time to good use. Rather than attempting to game-plan for a potential opponent, Steelers coaches stressed fundamentals that had slipped and challenged players through sessions that matched the first-team offense and defense.

"It made it a little competitive," Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith said.

Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin gave his team the weekend off. But unlike the 2007 Dallas Cowboys, there were no sightings of Steelers players in Cabo San Lucas or any other off-field controversy.

"You've got a mature team that understands a week off isn't a vacation," said Smith, a 10-year NFL veteran. "You've got to keep that edge."

Pittsburgh's impressive outing against San Diego also reflects the stronger bond Tomlin has built with his players. During Tomlin's head-coaching debut in 2007, Pittsburgh had become a tired team by season's end. It was evident when the Steelers lost a first-round home playoff game to Jacksonville.

Tomlin has adjusted his practice schedule accordingly, resulting in a fresher team in January.

"Coach has done a good job taking care of us and being smarter with our bodies," Clark said. "He's not making us bang as much. He's learned we are professionals and will play hard no matter what."

Most importantly, the Steelers are still playing. The three other top seeds that couldn't handle the trappings of a bye?

Bye-bye.:noidea:

T.Richardson
01-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Well, now if Manning had a defense like the Steelers, maybe...just maybe he would have more rings.