PDA

View Full Version : run defense decline ?

ts888
01-07-2009, 11:33 AM
just saw this which was surprising to me. It was buried in a sporting news article......

"the Steelers allowed more than 100 rushing yards just five times this season but four times in the past five games.

I'm not really worried since we are all healthy and rested but was very surprised to see the 4 times in the last 5 games stat.

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
our run defense has always has been top of the league and we used to routinely force teams to abandon the run and go with the pass.

remember the 1st 2 games in 02 when the raiders and patriots hardly ran at all and threw it over 90 times?

now our pass defense has actually caught up with our run defense. the browns abandoned the pass all together.

the threat of a strip/sack fumble or an interception is just too strong now. the safest way to play the steelers is to now go right at our strength.

Hines0wnz
01-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Looking at the opponents in those games I'm not totally surprised.

The_WARDen
01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
NE, Dallas, Baltimore, Tennessee, & Cleveland.

4 really goods teams and one fraud..take it for what it's worth.

drucifer
01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't take the last two games of the season into consideration when evaluating the status of our team. Once the #2 seed was locked up, there would have been no reason to put anything on tape that could be used against us in the post-season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2009, 12:56 PM
NE, Dallas, Baltimore, Tennessee, & Cleveland.

4 really goods teams and one fraud..take it for what it's worth.
Actually, all 5 of those teams have good offensive lines that like to establish the run. That and Keisel isnt playing up to the level he was before the injury. Chargers will try to run as they have another good line and weather might demand they run more.

nickelbolt
01-07-2009, 01:31 PM
our run defense has always has been top of the league and we used to routinely force teams to abandon the run and go with the pass.

remember the 1st 2 games in 02 when the raiders and patriots hardly ran at all and threw it over 90 times?

now our pass defense has actually caught up with our run defense. the browns abandoned the pass all together.

the threat of a strip/sack fumble or an interception is just too strong now. the safest way to play the steelers is to now go right at our strength.

You serious Clark?

http://media.canada.com/a0f01263-155b-494b-a5a0-9e1390560ff6/cv-eddie.jpg