PDA

View Full Version : The Myth of the Chargers improved defense

hizmi
01-07-2009, 02:48 PM
A familiar phrase I've seen bandied about by suddenly confident Charger fans goes something along the lines of "ZOMG our Dfenz is much better!!!!!1"

Ron Rivera and a healthy Jamal Williams are often cited as the catalysts and a few "stats" are quoted as the evidence.

As many of you might recall from the tedious willie parker debates, I've stressed the flaws of looking solely at total yardage stats and ignoring two critical factors--how/when the yardage was accumulated, and who it was accumulated against.

The Charges finished the season with a defensive DVOA of 10.7%, good for 22nd in the league. "But they've played better lately!" you say?

The Chargers Weighted DVOA, which completely discards the first 4 weeks of the season and discounts weeks 5-10, is 10.5%, good for 21st in the league. Vastly improved? Hardly.

Rivera was promoted after week 8, and since then the Chargers have faced KC twice, the steelers, oakland, tampa, atlanta, denver and Indy. The last 3 are top 10 offenses, but KC ranked 25th, Pitt 20th, TB 21st, and Oak 31st.

When you adjust for opponent and put the yardage totals in context, you see that the Chargers D is pretty much the same as it was before Rivera was promoted.

So how did they go from 4-8 to the second round of the playoffs if their D did not improve? In short, luck. The Chargers were unlucky earlier in the year, losing a close game at home on the final play against Carolina, and of course the Hochuli game. Luck was in their favor at the end of the year, when Denver choked at home to Buffalo and Dwayne Bowe dropped the onside kick. They've been a good team all year, but their incredible swings of luck gave an illusion of sudden improvement.

That being said, it's not as if our offense will put up 30 on them. Their defense is not much worse, if at all, than our offense and I expect a close game.

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I expect us to run the ball down their throats and then pass the ball very effectively (avoiding cromardie) and to score TDs instead of FGs this game. And our D will shut them down and we shall win. By 20.

nickelbolt
01-07-2009, 03:04 PM
I expect us to run the ball down their throats and then pass the ball very effectively (avoiding cromardie) and to score TDs instead of FGs this game. And our D will shut them down and we shall win. By 20.

You don't avoid Cromartie this year. You got at him. He's a mental midget who has been nothing but a liability on defense.

Yes. If Tomlin commits to the run and gets any significant yardage, the Steelers should "run" away with this one.

hizmi
01-07-2009, 03:16 PM
You don't avoid Cromartie this year. You got at him. He's a mental midget who has been nothing but a liability on defense.

Yes. If Tomlin commits to the run and gets any significant yardage, the Steelers should "run" away with this one.

Agreed.

As for running the ball, I'm expecting a stalemate. Our rush offense was 15th, their rush defense was 21st.

The key will be short yardage situations. We're not good enough to run the ball down your throat the whole game, but we need to pickup up the 3rd and shorts. Unfortunately we were 21st in power situations while your defense was 8th.

bradness113
01-07-2009, 03:19 PM
if you look at the last time we played these guys...we had spaeth and mchugh blocking... Mchugh is not good at blocking and we still rushed for over 100 yds. I think with a healthy rested team in general, we will do even better. But Miller and Spaeth out there is def a bonus.

hizmi
01-07-2009, 03:22 PM
if you look at the last time we played these guys...we had spaeth and mchugh blocking... Mchugh is not good at blocking and we still rushed for over 100 yds. I think with a healthy rested team in general, we will do even better. But Miller and Spaeth out there is def a bonus.

Good point. The Chargers were terrible defending TE's this year and we still managed to rack up all that yardage WITHOUT miller in our first meeting. Ben should be looking Heath's way early and often.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
I honestly think we will see more of McHugh lead blocking for Parker and Moore in this game which will be great in getting them to the 2nd level.

I also expect to see Arians throw to the TE's -Hback, out of that same formation.

TheWarDen86
01-07-2009, 05:09 PM

They were saying that on the radio this morning (NFL Network). He may have had a more pedestrian year than last, but he's still a talented player. I wouldn't take him for granted if I were game planning.

nickelbolt
01-07-2009, 05:23 PM
They were saying that on the radio this morning (NFL Network). He may have had a more pedestrian year than last, but he's still a talented player. I wouldn't take him for granted if I were game planning.

They're being kind. Cro hasn't made a meaningful play all season. Super-Talented? Yeah. But the dude's football IQ shows that last year was the result of a lot of bad throws and lucky bounces.

He plays 15 yards off the ball, isn't physical at the LOS, and can't stop a slant pass to save his life.

He has, however, improved his tackling and is finally not afraid to get dirty.

I'd rather have the rookie, Antoine Cason in there. At least he plays like his life depends on it.

nickelbolt
01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Actually a soft spot in an already- soft schedule. Oakland, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, and Denver. Collective record: 24-40 :coffee:
Their total offenses averaged 22nd in the league. Small wonder they assumed their defense was actually good. If I won a stretch of fights down at the old folks home, I might start thinkin' I was Chuck Norris too! :chuckle:

Still... the Steelers offense scored 9 pts on the Chargers terrible defense... and that was BEFORE the improvement we think we've seen.

So if they score 18 this weekend the game should still be pretty close.

At least that's how those of us disillusioned Charger fans see it.

sdnunes
01-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Actually a soft spot in an already- soft schedule.

that "already-soft" schedule the Chargers played is one Cincinnati Bengals tie away from being exactly the same as Pittsburgh's strength of schedule...

hindes204
01-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Actually a soft spot in an already- soft schedule. Oakland, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, and Denver. Collective record: 24-40 :coffee:
Their total offenses averaged 22nd in the league. Small wonder they assumed their defense was actually good. If I won a stretch of fights down at the old folks home, I might start thinkin' I was Chuck Norris too! :chuckle:

i agree, all this confidence is a result of playing a long string of not so good teams. i think after one quarter playing in da burgh their confidence will be shot and we will begin to open it up on em....31-10....in a confidence booster for our offense

JackHammer
01-07-2009, 06:48 PM

He's not a bad blocker if you're using him as a FB. If you want him to block from the TE position, well that's another story. Overall though, we haven't ran well at all this year when we use 2-3 TE sets. I would hope we see less of the 2-3 TE sets and more I-form with Miller or Spaeth on the edge and Mchugh as the FB.

fansince'76
01-07-2009, 06:53 PM
that "already-soft" schedule the Chargers played is one Cincinnati Bengals tie away from being exactly the same as Pittsburgh's strength of schedule...

Wrong. :rolleyes:

Chargers' 2008 schedule:

CAR 12-4
DEN 8-8
JETS 9-7
OAK 5-11
MIA 11-5
NE 11-5
BUF 7-9
N.O.8-8
KC 2-14
PIT 12-4
IND 12-4
ATL 11-5
TB 9-7

105-103-0 = .504

Steelers' 2008 schedule:

HOU 8-8
CLE 4-12
PHI 9-6-1
BAL 11-5
JAX 5-11
CIN 4-11-1
NYG 12-4
WAS 8-8
IND 12-4
SD 8-8
NE 11-5
DAL 9-7
TN 13-3

114-92-2 = .550

EDIT: Never mind - screwed up the math.

nickelbolt
01-07-2009, 06:55 PM

Chargers' 2008 schedule:

CAR 12-4
DEN 8-8
JETS 9-7
OAK 5-11
MIA 11-5
NE 11-5
BUF 7-9
N.O.8-8
KC 2-14
PIT 12-4
IND 12-4
ATL 11-5
TB 9-7

105-103-0 = .504

Steelers' 2008 schedule:

HOU 8-8
CLE 4-12
PHI 9-6-1
BAL 11-5
JAX 5-11
CIN 4-11-1
NYG 12-4
WAS 8-8
IND 12-4
SD 8-8
NE 11-5
DAL 9-7
TN 13-3

114-92-2 = .550

Where are these schedule results "one tie" away from being the same?

So... the Chargers actually played more teams with winning records?

fansince'76
01-07-2009, 07:05 PM

Actually, we played the Ravens twice (11-5), so technically no.

MaidenIndiana
01-07-2009, 07:05 PM
You might want to put down the water bong if it's going to allow you to make that statement :noidea:

sdnunes
01-07-2009, 07:07 PM

Chargers' 2008 schedule:

CAR 12-4
DEN 8-8
JETS 9-7
OAK 5-11
MIA 11-5
NE 11-5
BUF 7-9
N.O.8-8
KC 2-14
PIT 12-4
IND 12-4
ATL 11-5
TB 9-7

105-103-0 = .504

Steelers' 2008 schedule:

HOU 8-8
CLE 4-12
PHI 9-6-1
BAL 11-5
JAX 5-11
CIN 4-11-1
NYG 12-4
WAS 8-8
IND 12-4
SD 8-8
NE 11-5
DAL 9-7
TN 13-3

114-92-2 = .550

Where are these schedule results "one tie" away from being the same?

The teams you play twice are counted twice.

nickelbolt
01-07-2009, 07:12 PM
You might want to put down the water bong if it's going to allow you to make that statement :noidea:

8 different teams on the chargers schedule finished with winning records
7 different teams on the steelers schedule finished with winning records

Is that not accurate?

fansince'76
01-07-2009, 07:13 PM
The teams you play twice are counted twice.

Wasn't sure about that, but when I accounted for that, you're right. My bad. :drink:

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 07:16 PM
we can take the math out and simplify it even further

Chargers' 2008 schedule:

CAR 12-4
DEN 8-8
JETS 9-7
OAK 5-11
MIA 11-5
NE 11-5
BUF 7-9
N.O.8-8
KC 2-14
PIT 12-4
IND 12-4
ATL 11-5
TB 9-7

07 playoff opponents- 4
08 playoff opponents- 5

Steelers' 2008 schedule:

HOU 8-8
CLE 4-12
PHI 9-6-1
BAL 11-5
JAX 5-11
CIN 4-11-1
NY G 12-4
WAS 8-8
IND 12-4
SD 8-8
NE 11-5
DAL 9-7
TN 13-3

07 playoff opponents- 7
08 playoff opponents-6

not to mention the browns were 10-6 last year and we play the ravens twice.

Da 'Burgh
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/USMC_958/churchsign3.jpg

Polamalu43
01-07-2009, 07:34 PM
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/USMC_958/churchsign3.jpg

Man that is awesome. :tt02:

lilyoder6
01-07-2009, 07:45 PM
i was watching nfl network today and rich eison was like swallowing the chargers or something.. talking bout there "hot" 5 game win streak.. well u know what the colts had a "hot" 9 game win streak and they lost...

chargerbomb
01-07-2009, 09:16 PM
This is the kind of crap analysis you get when a person only looks at the stat lines rather than, you know, actually watching the games.

The Chargers defense has improved in leaps and bounds since Rivera took over. Just look at the number of points given up. Or turnovers created. Or time of possession. Or performance in the 4th quarter when the team needs a stop. I could go on, but what's the point? The OP obviously didn't do any research beyond looking at the box scores and jumping to conclusions.

Hey, man, Philip Rivers was the most efficient QB in the league this year by a good margin. Where's your thread on how he's the best in the league? Oh yeah, there's a bit more to a player's performance than some stupid metric like passer efficiency rating. Just like there is more to a defense than that silly DVOA stat that you extrapolated based on a small sample size.

Nice try though.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/darth-enigmus/thread-fail-stamp.gif

1st post

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 09:23 PM
This is the kind of crap analysis you get when a person only looks at the stat lines rather than, you know, actually watching the games.

The Chargers defense has improved in leaps and bounds since Rivera took over. Just look at the number of points given up. Or turnovers created. Or time of possession. Or performance in the 4th quarter when the team needs a stop. I could go on, but what's the point? The OP obviously didn't do any research beyond looking at the box scores and jumping to conclusions.

Hey, man, Philip Rivers was the most efficient QB in the league this year by a good margin. Where's your thread on how he's the best in the league? Oh yeah, there's a bit more to a player's performance than some stupid metric like passer efficiency rating. Just like there is more to a defense than that silly DVOA stat that you extrapolated based on a small sample size.

1st posthey! dont be a dick.

we actually do have a thread talking about what a great qb he is. do a search before you spout off.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=29002

no thanks needed.

hizmi
01-07-2009, 09:34 PM
The Chargers defense has improved in leaps and bounds since Rivera took over. Just look at the number of points given up.

Conveniently ignoring strength of schedule I see...

Or turnovers created.

Again, ignoring strength of schedule...

Or time of possession

An essentially useless statistic

Or performance in the 4th quarter when the team needs a stop.

Right...because the team didn't need to get stops in the first 3 quarters?

Nice try though.

I didn't "extrapolate" anything...the chargers defensive performance has been roughly the same since Rivera took over as it was before. That's not extrapolation, that's a statistical fact.

Nice try though. Yutz.

chargerbomb
01-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Conveniently ignoring strength of schedule I see...

Again, ignoring strength of schedule...

An essentially useless statistic

Right...because the team didn't need to get stops in the first 3 quarters?

I didn't "extrapolate" anything...the chargers defensive performance has been roughly the same since Rivera took over as it was before. That's not extrapolation, that's a statistical fact.

Nice try though. Yutz.

Predictably defensive, worthless response. "Yutz"? Seriously? What are you, 8? Don't start calling names just because your thread sucks and I pointed it out.

Just look at what the D did against Peyton Manning and the Colts. Just 17 points, 7 of those on a fluke quick-snap that caught Cromartie napping, but won't ever happen again. In the whole 2nd half, the Colts couldn't do anything. Under Cottrell, the D would have been on the field the whole game while Manning waltzed down the field with precision short passes. With Rivera, the D kept them guessing and came up with a key sack and 3-and-out that allowed for the Chargers comeback.

Your whole analysis is based on yardage given up, and schedule strength. Yardage is a highly misleading statistic. When a team blows another team out, the way the Chargers did against Oakland, Tampa and Denver, they often give up a lot of yards as the opposition starts passing on every down in a failed comeback attempt. It doesn't matter though, because the D already did it's job in the start and is simply playing prevent at that point.

Points are how the game is measured. And under Rivera, they are allowing 7 less points per game than they did under Cottrell. That is a huge difference. They are also forcing turnovers. Under Cottrell, they went 6 games without forcing a turnover. 6! That's insane! They also broke at the worst possible times. Now they are just getting stronger as the game goes on, and your weak excuse about strength of schedule cannot possibly explain away that discrepancy.

hizmi
01-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Your whole analysis is based on yardage given up, and schedule strength. Yardage is a highly misleading statistic. When a team blows another team out, the way the Chargers did against Oakland, Tampa and Denver, they often give up a lot of yards as the opposition starts passing on every down in a failed comeback attempt. It doesn't matter though, because the D already did it's job in the start and is simply playing prevent at that point.

DVOA adjusts for this. See here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

It would help if you knew what you were arguing against.

Polamalu43
01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
How can you compare a complete team like your tinsteelers that lost to a pathetic Raider team, when we havent lost to them in 12 games hahahhahah. Yea you guys are real tough, you will see this Sunday and cry just like the Colts,

out.

Man were all you trolls comming from?? Get to your own board loser.

Exactly how an you compare our franchise to your pathetic franchise??

to end this conversation fast, how many rings does your team have?? :toofunny::wave:

SteelersinCA
01-07-2009, 10:45 PM
How can you compare a complete team like your tinsteelers that lost to a pathetic Raider team, when we havent lost to them in 12 games hahahhahah. Yea you guys are real tough, you will see this Sunday and cry just like the Colts,

out.

We lost to the Raiders??? I didn't even know we played the Raiders. You guys sure you have your heads screwed on straight?

Polamalu43
01-07-2009, 10:53 PM
not as many as you have around your an#s.

have fun getting banned clown!!!!:thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
01-07-2009, 11:15 PM

out.

Really? Bringing up a game from 2 seasons ago to try and prove a point about this one? Way to go idiot. You Charger trolls are really pulling at some mighty loose strings now.

Remind us all, how'd that last game for the Chargers go when they came to Pitt again? I forget what Rivers' number were for that day against our tinsteel defense, can you please remind us all.

redst3
01-08-2009, 02:51 AM
out.

Hey, I think its Jim Rome! I think Jim Rome is posting on Steelers Fever!

Thanks for dropping in, Jim! I always wondered what happened to you after the 90's ended. You are now trolling message boards.
Rack em!

redst3
01-08-2009, 02:55 AM
We lost to the Raiders??? I didn't even know we played the Raiders. You guys sure you have your heads screwed on straight?

I think he was talking about the 1973 playoff loss. It really could spell trouble for the team this weekend.

LambertWardSteel
01-08-2009, 03:32 AM

out.

Bragging about a 12 game Raider winning streak is way too funny :rofl:

markymarc
01-08-2009, 07:14 AM
I honestly think we will see more of McHugh lead blocking for Parker and Moore in this game which will be great in getting them to the 2nd level.

I also expect to see Arians throw to the TE's -Hback, out of that same formation.

One can only hope! I would love to see McHugh leading the way for FWP, Moore and heck even Russell. Also, I really believe having Miller back for the rematch can only help the offense. If I remember correctly Spaeth had a pretty good game in the first game. I would be very surprised if Miller does not have a big game exploiting the middle of the field. And of course please for the love of god throw the ball to Moore on Sunday.

lilyoder6
01-08-2009, 09:26 AM
i think we need to use our 2 big men in the passing game this sunday.. if 1 te can kill there def then 2 should be able to murder them

chargerbomb
01-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Typical Charger troll mentality; Things that happened years ago are relevant, but things that happened this season aren't. :laughing:

If Rivera is really responsible for your 4 game "winning" streak (I don't consider beating up the special needs students winning), perhaps you can explain what adjustments Rivera made to bring about this miraculous turnaround? :coffee:

5 game winning streak. I don't know if you noticed, but we beat the Colts on Saturday.

The adjustments are obvious. Lots more blitzes, creative ones of the type that 3-4 defenses are known for. Pressure man coverage in short-yardage passing situations. Lots of movement before the snap to keep the QB guessing. Stopping the run first and foremost, which has forced teams to become 1 dimensional. Stacking the box on obvious run plays (should be common sense, but Cottrell never seemed to do it). And giving ILB Stephen Cooper the ability to change the defensive alignment at the line of scrimmage based on what he sees and hears before the snap. Cooper has been great at this, particularly against Indy.

Simply put, the defense looks like a real defense now, rather than the "read-and-react" nonsense Cottrell employed that seemed like perpetual prevent D, with no pressure and 10-yard cushions for every receiver. It's getting pressure, forcing turnovers and coming up with big stops at important junctures of the game. No, it's nowhere near as good as the Steelers D. But at least it's not the embarrassment it was the first half of the season.

ts888
01-08-2009, 10:15 AM
from Sporting News:

"When the Chargers fired Ted Cottrell on October 28 and replaced him with Rivera, they were reeling defensively, giving up 24.8 points per game. But in the nine games with Rivera in charge, San Diego's defense has yielded just 18.3 points per game."

I'd call that improvement. It's still by no means considered an elite defense but they have a top notch offense so the hope is that the D can just play middle of the road and let the offense win games. Problem is, points are gonna be tough to come by vs our Steelers D.

Jammer
01-08-2009, 10:24 AM
The Myth is the steeleers are a great home favorite... for all the BS norv has taken he is 12-1 in december and 3-1 in playoff with Chargers... tomlin is 0-1 deal with it :)

fansince'76
01-08-2009, 10:30 AM
The Myth is the steeleers are a great home favorite... for all the BS norv has taken he is 12-1 in december and 3-1 in playoff with Chargers... tomlin is 0-1 deal with it :)

Norv Turner isn't exactly the second coming of Lombardi, so you should stop making like he is. The Chargers went from 14-2 under Schotty in 2006 to 11-5 in 2007 and 8-8 this year under Turner. The Steelers by contrast have gone from 8-8 in 2006 under Cowher to 10-6 in 2007 and 12-4 this year under Tomlin. You've regressed under Turner while we've progressed under Tomlin. Deal with it. :coffee:

cubanstogie
01-08-2009, 10:58 AM

I forgot that they were going to be putting the pads on. Comparing Tomlin to Turner means exactly what? Considering we had toughest schedule and were questionable to make playoffs, and you clowns were SB favorites by some(helen keller probably one of them) we were 12-4 and you 8-8 shows me who did the better coaching. If you can't figure it out let me know.

cubanstogie
01-08-2009, 11:02 AM

The oddsmakers make us a 6 point favorite ,is that a myth too. Looks like they like our home field as well. Consider the regular season game we were 3 point fav's. What does that tell you. Again let me know if you don't understand this logic I am giving you.

nickelbolt
01-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Norv Turner isn't exactly the second coming of Lombardi, so you should stop making like he is. The Chargers went from 14-2 under Schotty in 2006 to 11-5 in 2007 and 8-8 this year under Turner. The Steelers by contrast have gone from 8-8 in 2006 under Cowher to 10-6 in 2007 and 12-4 this year under Tomlin. You've regressed under Turner while we've progressed under Tomlin. Deal with it. :coffee:

Being a fan of the Steelers you know that the playoffs is all that matters. Regular season records get you there, sure... but you gotta get in... no matter what it takes. You get in the tournament and you got a shot. For us Chargers fans, who don't have that Lombardi sitting in the case.... we WANT ONE.

Most of us know better than to think Norv is our savior. But the guy has done more in the post-season with this team than Marty ever did. THAT IS A FACT.

stlrtruck
01-08-2009, 11:19 AM
For us Chargers fans, who don't have that Lombardi sitting in the case.... we WANT ONE.

And by all means, WE WANT ANOTHER ONE!!!! And yes, I am being selfish and no I don't want to share them - with anyone!

Most of us know better than to think Norv is our savior. But the guy has done more in the post-season with this team than Marty ever did. THAT IS A FACT.

That's really not a fair assessment, I mean hell you could take a fan out of the stand and do just as much that Marty has done.

lilyoder6
01-08-2009, 11:23 AM
winning streaks don't mean that much.. the colts were on a 9 game winning streak, and what did that give them??? a trip home to watch the rest of the playoffs

stlrtruck
01-08-2009, 11:36 AM
winning streaks don't mean that much.. the colts were on a 9 game winning streak, and what did that give them??? a trip home to watch the rest of the playoffs

Winning streaks mean a lot.

The Steelers need to finish the game on a 3 game winning streak!!!!

nickelbolt
01-08-2009, 11:53 AM
That's really not a fair assessment, I mean hell you could take a fan out of the stand and do just as much that Marty has done.

Norv is being compared to Marty. Norv is having more post-season success than Marty.

Marty is a consensus HOF coach. He's credited with turning franchises around, but he's criticized for his lack of playoff success.

For Norv... it's now the reverse. He's given credit for doing next to nothing in the regular season, yet I believe he's got a 4-1 post-season record (so far)

Personally, I think Norv is an Alien... he's mindf*cking us all... and my head used to hurt from it. Then I realized that there's no use in fighting it. Just let him do his thing and somehow it works out.

Can you imagine how many heads would implode if Norv was to hoist a Lombardi as a head coach???

See... that's what I mean. You can't even fathom it. It's sooooooo far out there that it makes no sense to even think about it. Yet... it's something I can't get out of my head.

That's when you know you've been "NORV'd" :laughing:

chargerbomb
01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I keep forgetting; your "outstanding" team had to play last weekend. :laughing:

I'd call Indy a "win" for you, but the previous 4... they were all against teams that couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.

"looks like" being the key words. If you had shut down some real teams, we might be impressed. But Oakland? Kansas City? Ooo... bet it took some really serious skills to sweep them! :coffee:

Why would you put "outstanding" in quotes? Are you quoting someone in particular? Nobody is calling the Chargers outstanding. They lucked into the playoffs, no doubt about it.

Denver and Indy are 2 of the best offenses in the league. And in crucial games over the last 2 weeks, the defense stepped up and limited them to a combined 38 points. Keep harping on about Oakland and KC. Who cares? The D played tough against some high-powered offenses, and I wouldn't expect that anemic Pittsburgh offense to put up anywhere close to the 30+ points that some on this board are predicting.

Jammer
01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
The oddsmakers make us a 6 point favorite ,is that a myth too. Looks like they like our home field as well. Consider the regular season game we were 3 point fav's. What does that tell you. Again let me know if you don't understand this logic I am giving you.

in 2007 we were favorite by more than 7 over the PATS after a bye week remember what happens home team lost...

sdchargeher
01-08-2009, 12:41 PM
A familiar phrase I've seen bandied about by suddenly confident Charger fans goes something along the lines of "ZOMG our Dfenz is much better!!!!!1"

Ron Rivera and a healthy Jamal Williams are often cited as the catalysts and a few "stats" are quoted as the evidence.

As many of you might recall from the tedious willie parker debates, I've stressed the flaws of looking solely at total yardage stats and ignoring two critical factors--how/when the yardage was accumulated, and who it was accumulated against.

The Charges finished the season with a defensive DVOA of 10.7%, good for 22nd in the league. "But they've played better lately!" you say?

The Chargers Weighted DVOA, which completely discards the first 4 weeks of the season and discounts weeks 5-10, is 10.5%, good for 21st in the league. Vastly improved? Hardly.

Rivera was promoted after week 8, and since then the Chargers have faced KC twice, the steelers, oakland, tampa, atlanta, denver and Indy. The last 3 are top 10 offenses, but KC ranked 25th, Pitt 20th, TB 21st, and Oak 31st.

When you adjust for opponent and put the yardage totals in context, you see that the Chargers D is pretty much the same as it was before Rivera was promoted.

So how did they go from 4-8 to the second round of the playoffs if their D did not improve? In short, luck. The Chargers were unlucky earlier in the year, losing a close game at home on the final play against Carolina, and of course the Hochuli game. Luck was in their favor at the end of the year, when Denver choked at home to Buffalo and Dwayne Bowe dropped the onside kick. They've been a good team all year, but their incredible swings of luck gave an illusion of sudden improvement.

That being said, it's not as if our offense will put up 30 on them. Their defense is not much worse, if at all, than our offense and I expect a close game.

I can see you know nothing of our team. The defense did improve. Who cares about numbers in alot of those games we were ahead by alot. So show me all the garbage time stats you want but any idiot can see we improved greatly. I pray you guys try to run it down our throats we have one of the best run defenses in the league when we're playing well. And I hope you DO stay away from Antonio Cromartie. He's been playing terrible with his hip injury this year. Though I give him credit for playing through the pain. Quentin Jammer is a much much much more accomplished corner and one of the best tackling corners in the league. So please do throw his way more. Forget the rankings your going to see a well playing veteran defense this week.

sdchargeher
01-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Why would you put "outstanding" in quotes? Are you quoting someone in particular? Nobody is calling the Chargers outstanding. They lucked into the playoffs, no doubt about it.

Denver and Indy are 2 of the best offenses in the league. And in crucial games over the last 2 weeks, the defense stepped up and limited them to a combined 38 points. Keep harping on about Oakland and KC. Who cares? The D played tough against some high-powered offenses, and I wouldn't expect that anemic Pittsburgh offense to put up anywhere close to the 30+ points that some on this board are predicting.
Pittsburgh putting up 30 on our defense? HA! That is HILARIOUS:rofl: Fact is pitt fans expect to see a weak defense coming to town and thats just not the case. We are no cupcakes in any form or fashion. You can point at 8-8 all you want but we are one of the best if not THE BEST team in the NFL. We will prove that come sunday. You barely beat us in the reg season. If not for a red zone pic u were going to be down 14-2 and would have lost the game. There will be no red zone ints this week for the bolts and when you guys get beat i want you to give the credit to the great Border Patrol Defense of the San Diego Super Chargers.

ts888
01-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Pittsburgh putting up 30 on our defense? HA! That is HILARIOUS:rofl: Fact is pitt fans expect to see a weak defense coming to town and thats just not the case. We are no cupcakes in any form or fashion. You can point at 8-8 all you want but we are one of the best if not THE BEST team in the NFL. We will prove that come sunday. You barely beat us in the reg season. If not for a red zone pic u were going to be down 14-2 and would have lost the game. There will be no red zone ints this week for the bolts and when you guys get beat i want you to give the credit to the great Border Patrol Defense of the San Diego Super Chargers.

our offense putting up 30 is ridiculous, yes.....but the Chargers being the best team in the NFL is equally ridiculous.

sdchargeher
01-08-2009, 12:57 PM
5 game winning streak. I don't know if you noticed, but we beat the Colts on Saturday.

The adjustments are obvious. Lots more blitzes, creative ones of the type that 3-4 defenses are known for. Pressure man coverage in short-yardage passing situations. Lots of movement before the snap to keep the QB guessing. Stopping the run first and foremost, which has forced teams to become 1 dimensional. Stacking the box on obvious run plays (should be common sense, but Cottrell never seemed to do it). And giving ILB Stephen Cooper the ability to change the defensive alignment at the line of scrimmage based on what he sees and hears before the snap. Cooper has been great at this, particularly against Indy.

Simply put, the defense looks like a real defense now, rather than the "read-and-react" nonsense Cottrell employed that seemed like perpetual prevent D, with no pressure and 10-yard cushions for every receiver. It's getting pressure, forcing turnovers and coming up with big stops at important junctures of the game. No, it's nowhere near as good as the Steelers D. But at least it's not the embarrassment it was the first half of the season.

Exactly and I fully expect the Chargers defense to outperform the Steelers defense simply because of the offenses both will be facing. Expect pressure early and often for big ben. Expect press coverage kuz u know the steelers are going to try to get some easy throws for him early. It really could get ugly for the pittsburgh offense.

fansince'76
01-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Exactly and I fully expect the Chargers defense to outperform the Steelers defense simply because of the offenses both will be facing.

Yeah, you keep on thinking that. :coffee:

sdchargeher
01-08-2009, 01:02 PM

Chargers fired marty for not winning in the post season. We have improved in the area we wanted to. Winning in the playoffs. Norv has been on a roll with his play calling and i expect him to come up with some doozies to keep the steelers d on their heels. Besides If pittsburgh blitzes alot that opens up the screen game for us big time.

nickelbolt
01-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Exactly and I fully expect the Chargers defense to outperform the Steelers defense simply because of the offenses both will be facing. Expect pressure early and often for big ben. Expect press coverage kuz u know the steelers are going to try to get some easy throws for him early. It really could get ugly for the pittsburgh offense.

I know our defense is going to show up. I know we'll get shots on Ben. But what we must do... first and foremost... is STOP THE RUN. Yes. Of course, right. But I believe that Pittsburgh is going to come out determined to run the ball no matter what.

The Chargers have shown that they'll give up the big run plays if you just keep at it. But most teams playing us give up on the run if they get down by a few points.

Jamal, Luis, and Igor will be the most important players on the field. They MUST dominate that Pittsburgh line in order for us to win.

Unless the Chargers get a 10pt lead... the Steelers will run the rock until the game is over. And they love these wars. They know if they keep it close they'll come out on top. It's how they live.

The Chargers on the other hand, have typically proven this season they can't win the close ones. (aside from those lucky wins vs. Chiefs)

Last week... I KNEW WE WOULD BEAT THE COLTS. This week... I'm just hoping we can pull it out.

Either way, I'm gonna enjoy this one.

sdchargeher
01-08-2009, 01:34 PM
The Colts scare me more than the steelers. We had them beat with out rivers int in the red zone. We will stop their run because we know thats what they want to establish. This is going to be a game of field position and we have the better special teams as well. So in 2 of the 3 phases we are the better team and our defense has the potential to outplay their defense. This should be a win for the bolts. 24-13 Final. Chargers win.

nickelbolt
01-08-2009, 01:38 PM
FWIW, Marty just said on Sirius that the Steelers would win by a "narrow" margin.

Always hated that guy. :laughing:

westcoastransplant
01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
The Colts scare me more than the steelers. We had them beat with out rivers int in the red zone. We will stop their run because we know thats what they want to establish. This is going to be a game of field position and we have the better special teams as well. So in 2 of the 3 phases we are the better team and our defense has the potential to outplay their defense. This should be a win for the bolts. 24-13 Final. Chargers win.

You want to use the we would have scored if Rivers didn't throw a pick arguement? How about the 14 points we had taken away b/c of a phantom holding call and an idiot ref who forgot the rules? What about the 7 we left on the field in a failed fourth down? Spin the 1 point victory any way you want, it should have been more. You guys are also clammering on how much better your defense has gotten. Do you think ours has just stood still? Our D has faced much better offenses then yours and has still stayed at number 1. To think your D will be better is pretty amusing. I certainly haven't seen any evidence to why they would be better.

Chargers17
01-08-2009, 02:06 PM
alright, I'm ready to wiegh in on this today. We can all sit here all day and talk about season records, and last time we played each other stats, when we all would admit at some level, none of that really matters, (though its fun :chuckle: )

#43 did get robbed of a touchdown last game BTW.

Here's a couple of questions to spark some conversation in here.

1) the bye week seems to look like a good thing for Pitt with Big Ben's injury and all. Whats the talk around Pitts? Anyone worried about the time off being a negative thing? We know all too well here in SD. 14-2 meant nothing. I've seen it be a good thing and a bad thing over the years. Thoughts?

2) i've read all about the total yards of the last meeting and how SD was physically dominated last game. (which is hard to argue, looking at the stats). But what gets left out of that conversation, is field position. SD has been great all year at field position and if you start with a shorted field, you will end up with less total yards. This wasnt the entire reason in the last game, but something worth mentioning. SD was defninately the better team against the Colts, and if not for 2 redzone turnovers and Cromartie falling asleep, blow out the Colts, and yet the stats would show otherwise.
It reminds me of playing Madden on my Xbox. My defense would dominate so much, that my offense stats would be down. (Anyone ever purposely get negatvie yards on a punt return becuase you wanted a longer field to pad the offensive stats? :rofl: )

nickelbolt
01-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Our D has faced much better offenses then yours and has still stayed at number 1.

Depends on what you mean by "better".

Scoring? Chargers were #2... and I don't think you played #1 (New Orleans)
Yards? Chargers were #11... and the Steelers lost to 2 of the 4 teams they played who were ahead of us. (Giants & Eagles, @ #7 & #9 respectively) - You beat the Texans & Pats who were #3 & 5... so ok... some credence there.

Not discounting everything you said. But I count scoring offense as the most important category.

westcoastransplant
01-08-2009, 02:17 PM
2) i've read all about the total yards of the last meeting and how SD was physically dominated last game. (which is hard to argue, looking at the stats). But what gets left out of that conversation, is field position. SD has been great all year at field position and if you start with a shorted field, you will end up with less total yards. This wasnt the entire reason in the last game, but something worth mentioning. SD was defninately the better team against the Colts, and if not for 2 redzone turnovers and Cromartie falling asleep, blow out the Colts, and yet the stats would show otherwise.
It reminds me of playing Madden on my Xbox. My defense would dominate so much, that my offense stats would be down. (Anyone ever purposely get negatvie yards on a punt return becuase you wanted a longer field to pad the offensive stats? :rofl: )

If you want to play that game, then we can also say that we should have beat the Colts except for Bens critical interception on our side of the field in the 4th. As you said before, it doesn't matter to this weekends game.

Did find something interesting. Manning actually improved his stats in the playoff game against your boys.

westcoastransplant
01-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Depends on what you mean by "better".

Scoring? Chargers were #2... and I don't think you played #1 (New Orleans)
Yards? Chargers were #11... and the Steelers lost to 2 of the 4 teams they played who were ahead of us. (Giants & Eagles, @ #7 & #9 respectively) - You beat the Texans & Pats who were #3 & 5... so ok... some credence there.

Not discounting everything you said. But I count scoring offense as the most important category.

Sorry, I meant our D has played better offenses then your D has. My bad.

nickelbolt
01-08-2009, 02:19 PM
If you want to play that game, then we can also say that we should have beat the Colts except for Bens critical interception on our side of the field in the 4th. As you said before, it doesn't matter to this weekends game.

Did find something interesting. Manning actually improved his stats in the playoff game against your boys.

And their rushing decreased to about 60yds vs. 90 last time. - dogshit #s in the playoffs.

stlrtruck
01-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Yeah, a lot of teams wanted to stop our running game in the '06 playoffs. How did that work out for them? Oh yeah, we passed the ball right over top their little run stoppers!

If your team is so superior then why aren't they hosting this game?

Your offense is really no different than it was in week 11. While your defense has improved over the course of the second half of the season, the question remains can they maintain the intensity for a run through Pittsburgh? Simply, NO! We've seen what they've done against lesser teams. The Steelers defense is going under the radar and they'll have something to prove. We are the healthiest we've been since training camp. Spin your teams performance over the second half anyway you want but the bottom line is that our team has been doing it all year long and that loss to the Titans was the one that relit the fuse under the team's arse!

Payment is due and this week it is rivers who will pay the tab!!!

stlrtruck
01-08-2009, 02:24 PM

And their rushing decreased to about 60yds vs. 90 last time. - dogshit #s in the playoffs.

I blame that on Peyton and changing the plays at the line. He sometimes wants the ball too much and can create problems for the team.

The other difference is your not facing a one pronged attack team like the colts. That could create some problems for the front 7.

It will be interesting to see if the Steelers choose to start of throwing the ball or running it.

nickelbolt
01-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Sorry, I meant our D has played better offenses then your D has. My bad.

I ain't gonna research THAT. But my hunch is it almost equals out. Look up our schedule vs. yours... vs. top 10 scoring offenses.

Like I said... I'll be they actually come pretty close to be equally tough. Of course, our defensive #s were not good. I acknowledge that.

nickelbolt
01-08-2009, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=nickelbolt;519034]

I blame that on Peyton and changing the plays at the line. He sometimes wants the ball too much and can create problems for the team.

The other difference is your not facing a one pronged attack team like the colts. That could create some problems for the front 7.

It will be interesting to see if the Steelers choose to start of throwing the ball or running it.

Their first play may be a pass. But I'll bet the house that by the end of the game... the Run/Pass balance is nearly 50/50 (or 60/40 if they get a lead)

Chargers17
01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah, a lot of teams wanted to stop our running game in the '06 playoffs. How did that work out for them? Oh yeah, we passed the ball right over top their little run stoppers!

Your offense is really no different than it was in week 11. While your defense has improved over the course of the second half of the season, the question remains can they maintain the intensity for a run through Pittsburgh? Simply, NO! We've seen what they've done against lesser teams. The Steelers defense is going under the radar and they'll have something to prove. We are the healthiest we've been since training camp. Spin your teams performance over the second half anyway you want but the bottom line is that our team has been doing it all year long and that loss to the Titans was the one that relit the fuse under the team's arse!

Agree with aqbout 99.9% of your takes, in every post ive seen. But our offense is REALLY different than week 11. Now, that might not matter, and we might still get shutdown, but this really is a different offense. The reason: our O-LINE is for whatever reason, starting to block people. If you go back to the Raider game and look at our team rushing stats from then on you'll see we have been running at will on people. Now im a big "stats mean nothing" guy, but ive seen the games. LT used to have to make 2-3 cuts to get back to the line of scrimmage and lately he (or whoever) has had some holes. Now maybe our improved O-LINE, may STILL get shut down by Pitt's great D, but i dont think its accurate to say this is the same offense as week 11. Look at the scores of our past few games. Rivers has been money, but the ability to run the ball lately has been the biggest difference. If we cant do that Sunday, we have NO chance!

sdchargeher
01-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Actually we are playing better on offense as well. Our last 5 games we have averaged 35 a game. Our offense was highly inconsistent then. Now we have our mojo back on both sides of the ball. When has the steelers defense ever gone under the radar? Didn't harrison finish like 2nd in mvp voting? We aren't spinning anything it is pure FACTS. You are getting a more polished well playing team this week and not that sputtering inconsistent team with no confidence you played before. Chargers 24 Steelers 13.

lilyoder6
01-08-2009, 03:13 PM
during this 5 game winning streak, who has the chargers played??? i'll give ur the colts but the other 4 were either A: horrible or B: were epically exploding from inside and playing stupid..

and then u look at the off side of the ball u been able to run the ball effectivly b/c u have been playing horrible rush def..

cubanstogie
01-08-2009, 06:41 PM
in 2007 we were favorite by more than 7 over the PATS after a bye week remember what happens home team lost...

That wasn't the point of the rebuttal, you said it was a myth that we were heavily favored. I am not saying it guarantees a win. It does show we are a heavier favorite than regular season when the spread was 3.

Polamalu43
01-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Actually we are playing better on offense as well. Our last 5 games we have averaged 35 a game. Our offense was highly inconsistent then. Now we have our mojo back on both sides of the ball. When has the steelers defense ever gone under the radar? Didn't harrison finish like 2nd in mvp voting? We aren't spinning anything it is pure FACTS. You are getting a more polished well playing team this week and not that sputtering inconsistent team with no confidence you played before. Chargers 24 Steelers 13.

Can you please tell me what powerhouse teams you guys played in the final 5 games? thanks :coffee:

meetball
01-08-2009, 10:40 PM
I expect us to run the ball down their throats and then pass the ball very effectively (avoiding cromardie) and to score TDs instead of FGs this game. And our D will shut them down and we shall win. By 20.I guess by 'down their throats' you mean right through one of the best (if not THE best) nose tackles in the league? I wouldn't count on it.

SteelCityMom
01-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I guess by 'down their throats' you mean right through one of the best (if not THE best) nose tackles in the league? I wouldn't count on it.

I'm not saying here that the Steelers are going to blow out the Chargers, I think it's a bold claim to make, in fact I don't even predict scores, haven't since last season....but when you bring up this possibly best nose tackle in the league, is this the same one that played last time when a not 100% healthy Willie Parker ran for over 100 yards?

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 12:56 AM
I guess by 'down their throats' you mean right through one of the best (if not THE best) nose tackles in the league? I wouldn't count on it.

:sofunny::rofl::toofunny:

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 07:30 AM
BUMP

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 10:12 AM
good luck running up the middle on jamal williams:laughing: run outside all you want but you dont run the ball in the middle.

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 10:15 AM
good luck running up the middle on jamal williams:laughing: run outside all you want but you dont run the ball in the middle.

Thanks for the inside tip. I'll be sure to pass this info along to Coach T and Arians. :blah::blah:

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the inside tip. I'll be sure to pass this info along to Coach T and Arians. :blah::blah:
you need all the help you can get. :tombstone

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 10:25 AM
you need all the help you can get. :tombstone

Obviously not. If I feared the Bolts, I'd be thumping my chest on their boards like you are doing here.

If the Bolts had won their division convincingly and had beaten us earlier in the season, I could maybe understand the strutting, but all they've really proven thus far is that they are nothing more than a .500 team who lucked their way into the playoffs.

Look out - the Steelers are comin' to getcha tomorrow. :tt02::tt::tt02:

fansince'76
01-10-2009, 10:27 AM
If the Bolts had won their division convincingly and had beaten us earlier in the season, I could maybe understand the strutting, but all they've really proven thus far is that they are nothing more than a .500 team who lucked their way into the playoffs.

But, but, but, they beat....THE COLTS! :nw: :nw: :nw:

:yawn:

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Obviously not. If I feared the Bolts, I'd be thumping my chest on their boards like you are doing here.

Look out - the Steelers are comin' to getcha tomorrow. :tt02::tt::tt02:
you fear us as much as we fear you. im sure you know we have won our last 5 games including the wildcard game against the colts. yes we were 8-8 but we lost 4 games within the last 28 seconds and we have NEVER lost a game by more then 7 points! we have a new d cordinator and have been playin much better on that side of the ball. add in darren sproles and Scifres and were looking pretty good going into this game. im not trying to thump my chest. try to have a sense of humor.

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 10:41 AM

You do mean the same Colts who lost to 3 teams with a combined record of 20-28?:toofunny::toofunny:

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 10:41 AM

"the hottest team in the nfl"...not so much.

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 10:45 AM
you fear us as much as we fear you. im sure you know we have won our last 5 games including the wildcard game against the colts. yes we were 8-8 but we lost 4 games within the last 28 seconds and we have NEVER lost a game by more then 7 points! we have a new d cordinator and have been playin much better on that side of the ball. add in darren sproles and Scifres and were looking pretty good going into this game. im not trying to thump my chest. try to have a sense of humor.

Though I take no team lightly, I do NOT fear the Bolts. The Steelers had the most difficult schedule in the NFL this season and still finished 12-4 - the proof is in the pudding. We are going into this game totally healthy, well-rested with the NFL's highest ranked D and an O, with a little help from the OL - that can be quite explosive.

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Though I take no team lightly, I do NOT fear the Bolts. The Steelers had the most difficult schedule in the NFL this season and still finished 12-4 - the proof is in the pudding. We are going into this game totally healthy, well-rested with the NFL's highest ranked D and an O, with a little help from the OL - that can be quite explosive.
one good hit on ben and you might be in trouble.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Cromartie isn't very good in coverage.

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Ben is a 'big tank'. He can take whatever you can dish out and make you pay for trying it.
what about that situation where he was carted off the field in week 17? how is his head after that? sunday will tell..

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Cromartie is horrible in coverage.
fixed.

Rotorhead
01-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Wow I gotta post on this thread!! Anyone that even would consider the Bolts D better than the Steelers D needs to really watch football! As for Sproles, well our Def practices against Parker EVERYDAY so I dont think there will be any surprises since they are basically the same person so you may as well not count on the run game. Not to mention the Colts have one of the worst run defenses in the NFL. Anyone that has any football sense has to know that points will come at a premium tomorrow. Scifres had a great game against the Colts, but can he do it 2 weeks in a row, that remains to be seen so stop flapping your man-pleasers about how he is the second coming. And FWIW, Marty is 10x the coach Norv is, it still baffles why they would fire Marty and hire the perrenial loser Norv. But I also think they should have kept Brees. Anyway, good luck, but I still see the Steelers winning decisively.

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 11:29 AM
who considers the chargers defense better the pitts defense? and LMAO "parker and sproles are basically the same person so you may not as well count the run game" wow....

scifres is a pro-bowl punter fyi.

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 11:33 AM
who considers the chargers defense better the pitts defense? and LMAO "parker and sproles are basically the same person so you may not as well count the run game" wow....

scifres is a pro-bowl punter fyi.

What he is saying here, LT, is that both Parker and Sproles have the ability to hit the line quickly and both have great speed once they get into the open field. I will give the Bolts the advantage as far as the OL's are concerned, but I really believe our OL is going to play the game of their lives tomorrow.

Scifres is a great punter, no doubt about it, but the kicking game is only one aspect of the big picture tomorrow.

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 11:43 AM
thank you for watering that down hometown. no doubt "fast" willie parker is fast but i have been watching football for a long time and i have never seen anyone with the quickness of sproles. his ability to hide behind the los is also a plus. just remember our d-line is playing win or go home football as well...

SteelCityMom
01-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Hey, correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Jamal Williams there last game when Parker ran for 115 yards when he wasn't 100% healthy?

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Hey, correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Jamal Williams there last game when Parker ran for 115 yards when he wasn't 100% healthy?
FACT: you dont run up the middle on jamal "the wall" williams. hey what happened on that 4th down in the previous game? im not to sure, could you remind me :flap:

SteelCityMom
01-10-2009, 12:01 PM
thank you for watering that down hometown. no doubt "fast" willie parker is fast but i have been watching football for a long time and i have never seen anyone with the quickness of sproles. his ability to hide behind the los is also a plus. just remember our d-line is playing win or go home football as well...

Seriously, I'm sure Sproles is very talented and the Steelers D is preparing for him and his tendencies....but you have to realize the Chargers beat the Colts by taking advantage of their dismal run defense. It wasn't like Rivers was out there picking up any TD's, all their TD's came off of rushing. I really hope you guys aren't expecting the same favor from the #2 run defense in the league. That's just crazy talk.

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 12:02 PM
but ya our defense was on the field 4th most in the leauge so a big jamal is going to need his water break from time to time.

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Seriously, I'm sure Sproles is very talented and the Steelers D is preparing for him and his tendencies....but you have to realize the Chargers beat the Colts by taking advantage of their dismal run defense. It wasn't like Rivers was out there picking up any TD's, all their TD's came off of rushing. I really hope you guys aren't expecting the same favor from the #2 run defense in the league. That's just crazy talk.
this is where the screen pass comes into play. get sproles out in space and hes gone. "the best screen runner in football is darren sproles"-john madden. but i agree we have to establish the run ealry and often and im afraid our o-line is just too weak.

SteelCityMom
01-10-2009, 12:04 PM
FACT: you dont run up the middle on jamal "the wall" williams. hey what happened on that 4th down in the previous game? im not to sure, could you remind me :flap:

We got stuffed, when Moore was in the backfield....Parker also ran for a TD at the end of the game in case you forgot, but the TD was negated by a hold (which was really a tackle). What part of a non-healthy Parker running for 115 yards didn't you understand?

markymarc
01-10-2009, 12:26 PM
We are going into this game totally healthy, well-rested with the NFL's highest ranked D and an O, with a little help from the OL - and Bruce Ariansthat can be quite explosive.

Fixed it for you :chuckle: And I don't care what anyone says, being very healthy and given a week off is a big advantage for us.

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 12:32 PM
We got stuffed, when Moore was in the backfield....Parker also ran for a TD at the end of the game in case you forgot, but the TD was negated by a hold (which was really a tackle). What part of a non-healthy Parker running for 115 yards didn't you understand?
thats what happens when you spend the 4th most time in the leauge on defense. when our offense keeps going 3 and out/turnovers thats what happens. t.o.p. in that game was like 45:00 15:00 steelers.

SteelCityMom
01-10-2009, 12:48 PM
thats what happens when you spend the 4th most time in the leauge on defense. when our offense keeps going 3 and out/turnovers thats what happens. t.o.p. in that game was like 45:00 15:00 steelers.

I'll agree with you on that lol though it wasn't quite THAT lopsided, you're only 12 minutes off though.

We've been pretty horrible on goal line stands all year though, I'm hoping Ariens has gotten it through his head though that running Parker up the middle the first two tries and then Moore the next two with no FB just isn't going to work lol. They have shown tendency to start using the I formation more instead of the 2/3 TE bunch formation in the past few weeks, and it's worked a lot better, hopefully they continue that trend.

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 12:55 PM
goaline situations is when jamal williams excells. id just do a pa fake if i was them. or like a sweep or something to the ouside. wr screen would work on cromartie's side since he is a soft pansy.

SteelCityMom
01-10-2009, 01:06 PM
goaline situations is when jamal williams excells. id just do a pa fake if i was them. or like a sweep or something to the ouside. wr screen would work on cromartie's side since he is a soft pansy.

Yeah they threw in a TE screen against the Cowboys after getting stuffed on the goal line and that worked pretty well. Pretty much anything that doesn't involve a bunch formation and Parker of Moore trying to run up the middle for short yardage works better lol.

As much as I love that they have been able to get down to the goal line, their production there has been hideous at times. I feel more nervous when they are in that situation then when they are back at the 15 or 20 in the red zone, it's where we miss the Bus and Kreider the most.

Dojo Chargerfan
01-10-2009, 02:06 PM
luck isn't something that just happens, it's something that's created. Our defense was very bad at the beginning of the year, but how was it different than it is now?
Plain and simple, movement. Cottrell played a standard 34 rush defense. It was a off zone cover 3 or cover 2. We physically could not get to the QB with the rushers that we had backing up Merriman. The offenses we faced previously would block Merriman with their tackles with FB or TE chips mostly while Phillips was man on man against a TE. Regardless if we got to the QB, we put on heavy pressure.
When Merriman was hurt Phillips was moved to the weak side and didn't impose the physical threat that Merriman did because he's about 40 pounds lighter, but quicker. Not only that but TE's were able to handle the OLB opposite Phillips. QB's were able to wait for WR's to step into the holes and it was very easy for them to find them.
Now with Rivera LB's are moving around and Phillips is playing every LB and DE position. The trick is to trick the line to who's rushing, not to physically impose our will. Not only that but we're playing more man on man instead of over coverages, which means that the 2 step drops have went down and the dinking and dunking to death has been cut down. Our 3rd down efficiancy on defense has gotten better and we're allowing less PPG.
Looking at the defense at the beginning of the year to now, if you don't notice a difference than you don't know football.

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 02:11 PM
^what he said.

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 02:41 PM
the first sentence was the answer i was looking for tbh.

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 02:47 PM
and your gonna be eating atlot of crow if the chargers win tomorrow.

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 02:57 PM
and your gonna be eating atlot of crow if the chargers win tomorrow.

And you and your Bolts buds are going to be eating a lot of crow WHEN the Steelers win tomorrow. :flap:

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 02:59 PM
And you and your Bolts buds are going to be eating a lot of crow WHEN the Steelers win tomorrow. :flap:
atleast im not a douche like this other guy who straight up attacked me.

LVSteelersfan
01-10-2009, 03:32 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!! Did I just actually read that? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!! Almost burst a gut reading that one. THE BEST team in the NFL? What the heck is in the water out there in San Diego to make homer, delusional fans make statements like that one. A 21st ranked defense IS NOT EVEN CLOSE to being the BEST TEAM in the league. I hate to break it to you chump, but your team is the worst team left in the playoffs except maybe for Arizona. And that is debatable. Good luck with your homerness. You will be highly disappointed tomorrow when Ben and company torch that 21st ranked defense once more and the #1 ranked defense makes Rivers go back to pouting.

LVSteelersfan
01-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I

You clowns keep constantly blowing off the long TD in that game. Your team is going to get burned long again COUNT ON IT. You think that was a fluke that Peyton got a long bomb on your pathetic defense? I think not. Keep saying he fell asleep all you want. I hate to tell you this, but THAT IS A BAD THING. We are not worried about a shortened field You will be three and out all day long which means field position goes to the Steelers especially since kicking the ROCK that they call a ball in the cold is a whole nother thing than kicking in sunny San Diego. You Dolts trolls are hilarious. Let me see. We fell asleep on Manning and they scored a long TD. Falling asleep on defense is the name of the game for the Chargers. I guarantee the Steelers defense WILL NOT FALL ASLEEP ON ANY PLAY.

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Hey people - why are we continuing to argue with Bolts fans the night before the biggest game of the season for us this far? We should be getting psyched up and stoked as the game is now less than 24 hours away! :tt03::tt02::tt03::tt02::tt03:

Let 'em go back to their own boards instead of clogging up ours with inane drivel.

Boomerang
01-10-2009, 05:37 PM
The Steelers are going to the big one,its our destiny:tt02::tt03::tt:

TD_Sandy_Eggo
01-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I remember one other team that had to win 4 to close out the season, sneak in as the 6th seed, then went about their business to win, in m opinion, there most impressive Lombardi trophy.

The defense, though, has improved. While numbers show a relatively modest increase, in reality field position has been dramatically improved, which doesn't show up in too many stats. By no means does the Bolt defense approach the overall Steeler defense, but the integration ratings has dramatically improved.

It really comes down to this: If Willie Parker has a good to great game, and Rivers is shut down at his TE throws, the game should be won handily by Pittsburgh.

Dojo Chargerfan
01-10-2009, 07:01 PM
I remember one other team that had to win 4 to close out the season, sneak in as the 6th seed, then went about their business to win, in m opinion, there most impressive Lombardi trophy.

The defense, though, has improved. While numbers show a relatively modest increase, in reality field position has been dramatically improved, which doesn't show up in too many stats. By no means does the Bolt defense approach the overall Steeler defense, but the integration ratings has dramatically improved.

It really comes down to this: If Willie Parker has a good to great game, and Rivers is shut down at his TE throws, the game should be won handily by Pittsburgh.

hmmmmm....I wonder who that was......Did Steeler fans have "wild card fever" that year?

There's no doubt that the Steelers have proven to be a better team than the Chargers during the season but the Chargers have changed their season. We're on a hot streak and Ben is coming off of a concussion and last I heard his helmet didn't fit because his cranium was so swollen. That's not good coming from Steve Young on NFL radio on Sirius. I think the team that makes the least amount of mistakes will win this game and I'm hoping that Ben is rattled and is forced to make poor throws.

Dojo Chargerfan
01-10-2009, 07:01 PM
The Steelers are going to the big one,its our destiny:tt02::tt03::tt:

what? you don't see destiny wanting to see an 8-8 team host a AFCCG?

LVSteelersfan
01-10-2009, 07:10 PM

Who cares what the 6th seed has done? Your team is the 4th seed and will be gone after tomorrow when we will get to play the 6th seed next.

SteelCityMom
01-10-2009, 07:16 PM
hmmmmm....I wonder who that was......Did Steeler fans have "wild card fever" that year?

There's no doubt that the Steelers have proven to be a better team than the Chargers during the season but the Chargers have changed their season. We're on a hot streak and Ben is coming off of a concussion and last I heard his helmet didn't fit because his cranium was so swollen. That's not good coming from Steve Young on NFL radio on Sirius. I think the team that makes the least amount of mistakes will win this game and I'm hoping that Ben is rattled and is forced to make poor throws.

We're well aware that the year we won the SB we were the 6 seed team and had to do it all on the road, we were the first team to do it.....the 6 seed that would have to do it on the road this year though is the Eagles or the Ravens.

LVSteelersfan
01-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Here's what I think of Chargers and their chances of winning on Sunday.

http://copper-desert-llc.tripod.com/steelers.jpg.bmp

SteelersinCA
01-10-2009, 11:57 PM
I love how these Dolt fans think 1 good game against the Colts has them in the elite of the NFL. They are so changed and so much better now, and we played the Raiders and the Chiefs and the Broncos and the powederpuff girls and Rivera's sons pop warner team and, oh we beat them good and after we win we're going to the store to get some lollipops and we are the bestest team in the league, uh huh, we are, we only won 8 in the regular season but we're still the best!!! The Steelers stink.

Give me a break, I'm so sick of listening to their whiny posts about how they are so much better now. Go back to playing with crayons and try to stay between the lines you worthless Charger fans.:buttkick::moon::jerkit::checkit::sign01:

SteelCityMom
01-11-2009, 12:27 AM
I love how these Dolt fans think 1 good game against the Colts has them in the elite of the NFL. They are so changed and so much better now, and we played the Raiders and the Chiefs and the Broncos and the powederpuff girls and Rivera's sons pop warner team and, oh we beat them good and after we win we're going to the store to get some lollipops and we are the bestest team in the league, uh huh, we are, we only won 8 in the regular season but we're still the best!!! The Steelers stink.

Give me a break, I'm so sick of listening to their whiny posts about how they are so much better now. Go back to playing with crayons and try to stay between the lines you worthless Charger fans.:buttkick::moon::jerkit::checkit::sign01:

Hahaha you are FIRED UP!!!!

I give them all due respect for being in the playoffs no matter what the record, simply because I know that's what the players and coaches are doing. Somehow I think Chargers fans think that because we are fired up as fans and don't respect their record, that means that the players and coaches aren't either. They would be sorely mistaken....the Steelers know what time of year it is and they take any opponent seriously....no matter what their record.

With that said, I hope we kick the living snot out of them tomorrow, no holds barred, all out slug fest, hit 'em in the mouth and don't stop hitting until there's teeth and mashed up facial tissue sprawled about Heinz field's icy turf!

:tt02::tt::tt03::tt02::tt::tt03:

SteelersinCA
01-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Hahaha you are FIRED UP!!!!

I give them all due respect for being in the playoffs no matter what the record, simply because I know that's what the players and coaches are doing. Somehow I think Chargers fans think that because we are fired up as fans and don't respect their record, that means that the players and coaches aren't either. They would be sorely mistaken....the Steelers know what time of year it is and they take any opponent seriously....no matter what their record.

With that said, I hope we kick the living snot out of them tomorrow, no holds barred, all out slug fest, hit 'em in the mouth and don't stop hitting until there's teeth and mashed up facial tissue sprawled about Heinz field's icy turf!

:tt02::tt::tt03::tt02::tt::tt03:

Yeah I am. So tired of the stupid chargers. Every commercial there is some go dolts BS on TV. Ahhhhhh, I can't wait until we destroy them tomorrow!!!!!!

GoStillersGo
01-11-2009, 08:18 AM
luck isn't something that just happens, it's something that's created. Our defense was very bad at the beginning of the year, but how was it different than it is now?
Plain and simple, movement. Cottrell played a standard 34 rush defense. It was a off zone cover 3 or cover 2. We physically could not get to the QB with the rushers that we had backing up Merriman. The offenses we faced previously would block Merriman with their tackles with FB or TE chips mostly while Phillips was man on man against a TE. Regardless if we got to the QB, we put on heavy pressure.
When Merriman was hurt Phillips was moved to the weak side and didn't impose the physical threat that Merriman did because he's about 40 pounds lighter, but quicker. Not only that but TE's were able to handle the OLB opposite Phillips. QB's were able to wait for WR's to step into the holes and it was very easy for them to find them.
Now with Rivera LB's are moving around and Phillips is playing every LB and DE position. The trick is to trick the line to who's rushing, not to physically impose our will. Not only that but we're playing more man on man instead of over coverages, which means that the 2 step drops have went down and the dinking and dunking to death has been cut down. Our 3rd down efficiancy on defense has gotten better and we're allowing less PPG.
Looking at the defense at the beginning of the year to now, if you don't notice a difference than you don't know football.

Stuffing your defense scheme with trick plays trying to fool the offense only works for so long against a good offense. The gravy train ends here Bolts!

:tt:

nickelbolt
01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
And I'd just like to say that I called it... No way Ben throws for 300.

But then again... I also said that you guys would win if you committed to running the ball.. and we effective with it.

So it goes.

Way it goes.

That's football.

That's why I played it.

That's why I love it.

Congrats Steelers.

LittleTank
01-11-2009, 07:25 PM
lmao at big ben with more punting yards then passing yards with 1;52 left in the half.