PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Head is Swollen

MathWiz
01-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I am not trying to be funny.

I heard a news story on Sports Talk radio that Ben's head swoll up after his head injury and concussion, and that when he went to practice today, his helmet did not fit.

I never wish for anyone to get hurt, but that should make you think if you are ready to come back. Would not want Ben's career cut short becasue of concussion syndrome like Aikman.

Charles

stillers4me
01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
I read that, too.

They should just pack him in ice and only get him out on Sundays. :chuckle:

cubanstogie
01-07-2009, 11:09 PM
I am not trying to be funny.

I heard a news story on Sports Talk radio that Ben's head swoll up after his head injury and concussion, and thay when he went to practice today, his helmet did not fit.

I never wish for anyone to get hurt, but that should make you think if you are ready to come back. Would not want Ben's career cut short becasue of concussion syndrome like Aikman.

Charles

Rivers' head would be too if he had a SB ring.

Steel4eva
01-07-2009, 11:14 PM

something he'll never have:tt03:

Polamalu43
01-07-2009, 11:14 PM

more then it is now? :toofunny:

klick81
01-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Got a link?

tony hipchest
01-07-2009, 11:33 PM
first of all, ben is no doctor, but unlike tom brady he has NEVER shied away from giving his own medical report.

what he actually said was that he did get a headache after practice and that his helmet felt "tight".

thats understandable. just the pressure of actually having a helmet on his head probably hurt.

im no doctor but i doubt that his head is still swollen. i would equate it to having a hangover and going out into the bright sun. anyone who has done this, knows it can make your head hurt even though your head size doesnt actually physically increas and the sun doesnt make it grow.

it does sound like bens concussion was a little bit more than the "mild" one that was reported. it sure as hell looked like more.

i know he wants to have a career as long and productive as elway/marino, but he is really heading down the aikman/young highway.

Polamalu43
01-07-2009, 11:34 PM
first of all, ben is no doctor, but unlike tom brady he has NEVER shied away from giving his own medical report.

what he actually said was that he did get a headache after practice and that his helmet felt "tight".

thats understandable. just the pressure of actually having a helmet on his head probably hurt.

im no doctor but i doubt that his head is still swollen. i would equate it to having a hangover and going out into the bright sun. anyone who has done this, knows it can make your head hurt even though your head size doesnt actually physically increas and the sun doesnt make it grow.

it does sound like bens concussion was a little bit more than the "mild" one that was reported. it sure as hell looked like more.

i know he wants to have a career as long and productive as elway/marino, but he is really heading down the aikman/young highway.

And that there, is sad man really. :banging:

MathWiz
01-07-2009, 11:54 PM
And that there, is sad man really. :banging:

Yes it is, can never understand how motorcycle riders can hit their head on pavement and not get a concussion but a football player hitting turf can get one.

Charles

MathWiz
01-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Got a link?

Google News (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5iCwf06z2K8vaKHfTq4EzaS5bH-MQ)

or

ESPN Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3816805&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Charles

Polamalu43
01-08-2009, 12:03 AM
thanks for the link. Hope the guy is ready for sunday's big game.

chargerbomb
01-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Ben's just a drama queen. This is nothing new.

Polamalu43
01-08-2009, 12:27 AM

Dude your still on here trolling? GET A LIFE!!

chargerbomb
01-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Dude your still on here trolling? GET A LIFE!!

Who is trolling?

I'm on here to talk about football.

Are you seriously gonna deny that Ben can be a drama queen? Like when he claimed that he played the Patriots with 2 broken toes? C'mon, the guy likes to make himself look like a hero, or set an excuse ahead of time, depending on the outcome of the game.

tony hipchest
01-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Like when he claimed that he played the Patriots with 2 broken toes? C'mon, the guy likes to make himself look like a hero, or set an excuse ahead of time, depending on the outcome of the game.
i sure wish ben would be a true hero like LT and just sit out of the game and be quiet.

(like this weekend for instance)

Polamalu43
01-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Who is trolling?

Are you seriously gonna deny that Ben can be a drama queen? Like when he claimed that he played the Patriots with 2 broken toes? C'mon, the guy likes to make himself look like a hero, or set an excuse ahead of time, depending on the outcome of the game.

What can you tell me about LT???

http://black-and-right.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/tomlinson.jpg

http://sportsreport.freedomblogging.com/files/2008/01/lt0122.jpg

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::rofl::rofl::laughin g::laughing::laughing:

Polamalu43
01-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Trust me.....Ben should sit out instead of throwing 3 picks...

Maybe LT shoud should sit out, Opps he already is hahah :rofl:

SteelCityMom
01-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Who is trolling?

Yeah, calling Ben a drama queen is really talking about football....way to sound like a Bungals fan.

And how do you know he didn't play the Pats with 2 broken toes? Do you work for the Steelers? Do you have some kind of inside info that we don't have?

I bet Rivers didn't really play with knee injuries last year against the Pats, I bet it was just a claim he made up to cover up the real reason why they lost that game and was being a drama queen.

See, we can do it too!

Danger DANJ
01-08-2009, 01:07 AM
What's so bad about the new helmets that are supposed to protect better against concussions that nobody likes to wear them?

chargerbomb
01-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Yeah, calling Ben a drama queen is really talking about football....way to sound like a Bungals fan.

And how do you know he didn't play the Pats with 2 broken toes? Do you work for the Steelers? Do you have some kind of inside info that we don't have?

I bet Rivers didn't really play with knee injuries last year against the Pats, I bet it was just a claim he made up to cover up the real reason why they lost that game and was being a drama queen.

See, we can do it too!

Wow, mom, this is embarrassing. You don't even know your own team.

Cowher called Ben out on his BS about the broken toes, and then mysteriously Roethlisberger never made the claim again! Of course he was lying about the toes because he was embarrassed about his play.

When did you jump on the bandwagon? After they won the superbowl? Try to brush up on your history.

tony hipchest
01-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Trust me.....Ben should sit out instead of throwing 3 picks...trust me. youre scared of the dynamic ben. you wish you had him.

Polamalu43
01-08-2009, 01:16 AM

Cowher called Ben out on his BS about the broken toes, and then mysteriously Roethlisberger never made the claim again! Of course he was lying about the toes because he was embarrassed about his play.

When did you jump on the bandwagon? After they won the superbowl? Try to brush up on your history.

Hey tuff guy. since when have you been a chargeless fan?? cause since i remember correct you guys started having fans again about 2-3 years ago! :toofunny: You clowns have the most bandwagon fans in the NFL!

tony hipchest
01-08-2009, 01:16 AM

When did you jump on the bandwagon? After they won the superbowl? Try to brush up on your history.*sniff,sniff*

in 2001-2003 you were rooting for the raiders, werent you?

thought so.

Sharkissle29
01-08-2009, 01:17 AM
What's so bad about the new helmets that are supposed to protect better against concussions that nobody likes to wear them?

because they are ugly...

Polamalu43
01-08-2009, 01:18 AM
*sniff,sniff*

thought so.

Exactly , these guys are comical man really.!!! :laughing:

SteelCityMom
01-08-2009, 01:23 AM

Sorry honey, have been a Steelers fan since the day I was born and I guess if Ben said it once and then never said it again it must not have been true huh? Man, I guess since there was a paper out there that said something to that affect it must make it God's word huh.

But of course that means he was lying.

augustashark
01-08-2009, 01:24 AM
I could explain where Ben has had his "swollen head", but this is not the right fourm for that discussion. Let's just say that Rivers and his girlfriend have broken up.

SteelCityMom
01-08-2009, 01:29 AM
I could explain where Ben has had his "swollen head", but this is not the right fourm for that discussion. Let's just say that Rivers and his girlfriend have broken up.

:rofl: :thumbsup:

Danger DANJ
01-08-2009, 01:29 AM
I hope he was wearing his helmet!

Polamalu43
01-08-2009, 01:30 AM
I hope he was wearing his helmet!

:laughing::toofunny:

SteelCityMom
01-08-2009, 01:59 AM

Oh and before you go all berserker on me for forgetting every detail of a football story from 5 seasons ago, I looked up exactly what Cowher had said, and what the press said Ben told them.

Cowher : "At the end of the first half, while scrambling, he aggravated some toes that he has broken in the past. He mentioned something to Ryan Grove, our assistant trainer. He said he may have broken his toes. He came off (the field), he said he was fine, and he went back out in the second half and did not say anything to anybody else for the rest of the game."

Ben: Well there is actually no quote of Ben, just what the reporters were saying he said, but here it is. "As he cleaned out his locker and left the team's practice facility, Roethlisberger told reporters that he broke a toe on his right foot while trying to evade a tackler late in the first half of Sunday's game. He returned for the second half and threw two touchdowns, but was unable to rally the Steelers past the Patriots."

Based on what Cowher said don't you think there's a slight possibility that Ben told reporters that he hurt his foot and "felt" like he broke his toes and the reporters just ran with that? I mean, I know that sounds far fetched and all, since reporters have never exaggerated a story in their lives, but just think about it.

It's kind of like that time that Ben called out the media for reporting that he played with a 104.4 degree fever when he says he told them it was only a 100 degree fever (big difference).

Or like the time they twisted his words on wanting a taller WR.

I wouldn't be surprised if this story about the "swollen head" is exaggerated in some way.

verks36
01-08-2009, 02:10 AM
*sniff,sniff*

thought so.

still living on the east coast out of all the teams chargers are definitley one of the bottom 5 teams with people i have met who are fans of that team. Luckily i dont know any chargers fans but they are invading Steelers fever

JackHammer
01-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Would not want Ben's career cut short becasue of concussion syndrome like Aikman.

Ben is one tough SOB, but at the rate that he's taking hits, he won't last as long as Aikman did.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-08-2009, 04:28 AM
Explain to me exactly how one's head can "swell"? Since your head is mostly skull, a bone with fused joints, it isn't just going to change size.

Preacher
01-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Explain to me exactly how one's head can "swell"? Since your head is mostly skull, a bone with fused joints, it isn't just going to change size.

Unless you have a big bump on the OUTSIDE. . . but that has nothing to do with a concussion.

stillers4me
01-08-2009, 06:04 AM
I used to love that little Whammy guy!

markymarc
01-08-2009, 08:03 AM
And this is one of the biggest reasons WHY the OL must be addressed in the off season. I like others on here are very concerned about how long Ben will be able to play for the Steelers due to all the hits he takes each week. We invested in our franchise QB and now it's damn time we invest in a line that can protect him for a very long time. Also, I really believe the media is reaching for a story here with the swollen head theory.

Burghfan58
01-08-2009, 08:03 AM
What can you tell me about LT???

http://black-and-right.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/tomlinson.jpg

http://sportsreport.freedomblogging.com/files/2008/01/lt0122.jpg

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::rofl::rofl::laughin g::laughing::laughing:

I hate that face mask. Is that supposed to make him look like Darth Vader?

HometownGal
01-08-2009, 08:41 AM
And this is one of the biggest reasons WHY the OL must be addressed in the off season. I like others on here are very concerned about how long Ben will be able to play for the Steelers due to all the hits he takes each week. We invested in our franchise QB and now it's damn time we invest in a line that can protect him for a very long time. Also, I really believe the media is reaching for a story here with the swollen head theory.

:applaudit::applaudit::thumbsup:

The media twists and turns facts to pad their pockets. If indeed Ben's head is swollen, he shouldn't play on Sunday and I'm sure Tomlin will exercise caution.

TackleMeBen
01-08-2009, 09:07 AM
:applaudit::applaudit::thumbsup:

The media twists and turns facts to pad their pockets. If indeed Ben's head is swollen, he shouldn't play on Sunday and I'm sure Tomlin will exercise caution.
i agree with you HTG. if something isnt right with ben, tomlin will have no qualms with telling him to sit his rear on the bench.

as for rivers and his g/f, i thought he was married with a kid.

MathWiz
01-08-2009, 09:36 AM
i agree with you HTG. if something isnt right with ben, tomlin will have no qualms with telling him to sit his rear on the bench.

Married with three little girls.

Charles

TackleMeBen
01-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Married with three little girls.

Charles
wasnt he married when he played for NC State. i couldnt stand him when he played there and i cant stand him now..lol.. but since i lived in NC at the time i was force to see him play.

The_WARDen
01-08-2009, 09:52 AM

the head doesn't swell, the brain swells from the concussion....

the only person's head I've ever seen increase in size after age 25 is Barry Bonds.

TackleMeBen
01-08-2009, 09:53 AM
the head doesn't swell, the brain swells from the concussion....

the only person's head I've ever seen increase in size after age 25 is Barry Bonds.
that was b/c of the steroids :chuckle:

lilyoder6
01-08-2009, 09:56 AM
that was b/c of the steroids :chuckle:

he thought it was only "cream"

ts888
01-08-2009, 09:58 AM
wasnt he married when he played for NC State. i couldnt stand him when he played there and i cant stand him now..lol.. but since i lived in NC at the time i was force to see him play.

just out of curiosity, what was it exactly that you couldn't stand about him at NC State?

personally, I hope he gets crushed this Sunday but I think the media and general fan perception of him are way off. Would like to hear your thoughts since you have been watching him since college days.

TackleMeBen
01-08-2009, 10:01 AM
[quote=ts888;518763]just out of curiosity, what was it exactly that you couldn't stand about him at NC State?

[quote]

besides the fact that he played at NC State..lol...:chuckle: his aggorance really turned me off. i am not saying that he is a bad qb, i just dont like his personality.

TackleMeBen
01-08-2009, 10:02 AM
uh yeah right... and i thought i had a stomach virus when i was pregnant... :chuckle:

he knew what it was along.

ts888
01-08-2009, 10:10 AM
[quote=ts888;518763]just out of curiosity, what was it exactly that you couldn't stand about him at NC State?

[quote]

besides the fact that he played at NC State..lol...:chuckle: his aggorance really turned me off. i am not saying that he is a bad qb, i just dont like his personality.

yeah, I'm talking about the personality. Is he really that arrogant? I don't follow him super closely but I have never seen/heard him say anything arrogant or derogatory towards the other team. For example, all his comments this week and last week are/were about how great the Steelers D is and how tough it will be and how good a team the Colts are. I think his fire and drive on the field are misinterpreted as arrogance. Not that I really care......I just find that stuff interesting for some reason. I have this little mini obsession with the media and how players interact with it and how they are portrayed rightfully or wrongly so.

regardless.....eat soggy turf Phillip !!!:tt:

The_WARDen
01-08-2009, 10:25 AM

do you think he ever asked any of his teammates the question, "Does this cream make my head look fat?"

TackleMeBen
01-08-2009, 10:32 AM
do you think he ever asked any of his teammates the question, "Does this cream make my head look fat?"
thanks there warden, there went my water all over the screen..lol i guess it depends on which 'one' he was referring too :chuckle:

chargerbomb
01-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Oh and before you go all berserker on me for forgetting every detail of a football story from 5 seasons ago, I looked up exactly what Cowher had said, and what the press said Ben told them.

Cowher : "At the end of the first half, while scrambling, he aggravated some toes that he has broken in the past. He mentioned something to Ryan Grove, our assistant trainer. He said he may have broken his toes. He came off (the field), he said he was fine, and he went back out in the second half and did not say anything to anybody else for the rest of the game."

Ben: Well there is actually no quote of Ben, just what the reporters were saying he said, but here it is. "As he cleaned out his locker and left the team's practice facility, Roethlisberger told reporters that he broke a toe on his right foot while trying to evade a tackler late in the first half of Sunday's game. He returned for the second half and threw two touchdowns, but was unable to rally the Steelers past the Patriots."

Based on what Cowher said don't you think there's a slight possibility that Ben told reporters that he hurt his foot and "felt" like he broke his toes and the reporters just ran with that? I mean, I know that sounds far fetched and all, since reporters have never exaggerated a story in their lives, but just think about it.

It's kind of like that time that Ben called out the media for reporting that he played with a 104.4 degree fever when he says he told them it was only a 100 degree fever (big difference).

Or like the time they twisted his words on wanting a taller WR.

I wouldn't be surprised if this story about the "swollen head" is exaggerated in some way.

This is a solid post, SCM. I have read some of the stories about Ben, from the broken toes deal to the fever before a game, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if the media blows these things out of proportion and/or misinterprets what he says. However, I'll stick with my assertion that the guy can be somewhat of a drama queen. Not nearly on the level of "fainting in the shower to get attention" ala Tony Romo, though.

SteelCityMom
01-08-2009, 01:45 PM
This is a solid post, SCM. I have read some of the stories about Ben, from the broken toes deal to the fever before a game, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if the media blows these things out of proportion and/or misinterprets what he says. However, I'll stick with my assertion that the guy can be somewhat of a drama queen. Not nearly on the level of "fainting in the shower to get attention" ala Tony Romo, though.

I think you could say that about almost any QB or high profile player, the more media attention they get the more things are blown out of proportion ( Ed Werder). I think Ben's major problem is he just talks to the media too much, which he probably does because he doesn't want to be considered a dick who won't answer questions. But I think when he was still a rookie and a younger player he didn't realize how much the media could twist things, so he's recently begun to be very sarcastic with them or in the case of his injured shoulder, just thanks his OL 4 or 5 times when asked about it...with a straight face even!

Football stories about high profile players get on my nerves though, it's like they've reached a Hollywood status and a lot of reporters are just spinning rumors and exaggerating what people say to sell papers or get hits on their web page ( I'm pointing at you again Ed Werder, you too PFT ). It's like TMZ for men lol. I don't know, I try not to pay too much attention to it, most stories need to be taken with a big grain of salt IMO.

The_WARDen
01-08-2009, 01:54 PM
I think you could say that about almost any QB or high profile player, the more media attention they get the more things are blown out of proportion ( Ed Werder). I think Ben's major problem is he just talks to the media too much, which he probably does because he doesn't want to be considered a dick who won't answer questions. But I think when he was still a rookie and a younger player he didn't realize how much the media could twist things, so he's recently begun to be very sarcastic with them or in the case of his injured shoulder, just thanks his OL 4 or 5 times when asked about it...with a straight face even!

Football stories about high profile players get on my nerves though, it's like they've reached a Hollywood status and a lot of reporters are just spinning rumors and exaggerating what people say to sell papers or get hits on their web page ( I'm pointing at you again Ed Werder, you too PFT ). It's like TMZ for men lol. I don't know, I try not to pay too much attention to it, most stories need to be taken with a big grain of salt IMO.

and a shot of Tequila!

:drink:

steelpinstripe72
01-08-2009, 04:58 PM

If I didn't know better, I'd probably agree. Hopefully you guys are right and things are being exaggerated. But here's the thing. Ben's had, what, 3 concussions now? At least? There's a condition called hydrocephalus (google it) which can be present from birth, which is how I have it, or it can be caused by traumatic head injuries, meningitis, etc. So his head isn't swollen, but his brain may be, and I hope the doctors are keeping an eye out.

SteelCityMom
01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
If I didn't know better, I'd probably agree. Hopefully you guys are right and things are being exaggerated. But here's the thing. Ben's had, what, 3 concussions now? At least? There's a condition called hydrocephalus (google it) which can be present from birth, which is how I have it, or it can be caused by traumatic head injuries, meningitis, etc. So his head isn't swollen, but his brain may be, and I hope the doctors are keeping an eye out.

I hope so as well, I'd be very upset at the Steelers organization as a whole if they allowed him to play with a condition like that.

Oh and yes, it is 3 concussions now, 2 in '06 and then this one.

Polamalu43
01-08-2009, 07:11 PM
^^^ is that the best you can do troll???

BTW is that rivers and LT on your avatar??

missedgehead
01-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Um Rivers is married and has I think, 3 or 4 kids. I know it is more than 2. I do agree with you, that if Ben isn't right, Tomlin will sit him.

I do wonder though why Ben has to always play up his injuries.

missedgehead
01-09-2009, 12:00 AM

While I agree with you that the media DOES blow things out of proportion, that I am not arguing, I do feel that Ben has a tendency to make his injuries more than what they are. Easy to blame the media for everything. It just seems to me that Ben says something about his injuries and then Coach Cowher had to clear up what Ben said, from the toes to the fever to some banged up elbow he had or whatever. Even Coach Tomlin had to say something concerning Ben's remarks to Andrea Kramer about his shoulder or whatever this season. I just think Ben needs to stop giving every minute detail of his injuries to the media. JMO

tony hipchest
01-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Um Rivers is married and has I think, 3 or 4 kids. I know it is more than 2. I do agree with you, that if Ben isn't right, Tomlin will sit him.

I do wonder though why Ben has to always play up his injuries.Um did you even bother watching the week 17 steelers game or were you too busy looking for tom a wedding present?

rivers has 3 kids. his wife has 4. one of them is bradys.

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Um did you even bother watching the week 17 steelers game or were you too busy looking for tom a wedding present?

rivers has 3 kids. his wife has 4. one of them is bradys.

are you serious??? :doh: