PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Woodley tires down the stretch

mesaSteeler
01-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Steelers Woodley tires down the stretch
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/07/sports/steelers/doc4965873e972b1633149251.txt

By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:58 PM EST
PITTSBURGH — This is a story about LaMarr Woodley. Remember him?

You may recall that Woodley was a very hot topic during the first half of the season. He practically matched James Harrison big play for big play.

After eight games, both ranked among the league sack leaders. Harrison, the Steelers’ right outside linebacker, had 10. Woodley, the left outside linebacker, was right behind at 9.5.

But over the last eight games of the regular season, Harrison pulled ahead in the battle for the team sack lead.

Harrison’s final tally of 16 is one reason why he was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Woodley’s total of 11.5 suggests that he wore down in his first full season as a starter. Yes, he may have appeared on the cover of the Dec. 22 edition of Sports Illustrated, hovering over Baltimore’s Joe Flacco. But that photo wasn’t an image of Woodley sacking the Ravens’ rookie quarterback. It was just a picture that showed Woodley knocking Flacco to the ground after he got rid of the football.

In the four games the Steelers played in December, Woodley didn’t have a sack.

“Some people say I may have hit a wall but I don’t think I hit a wall,” said Woodley, who was selected by the Steelers in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft. “I just haven’t been able to get the sacks I had been getting earlier in the year.

“But when you look at it all, are we still winning? Yeah. We’re still winning. Am I getting sacks? No. But am I doing what I’m supposed to be doing? Putting pressure on the quarterback and stopping the run? I’d say yes to that.”

Woodley is right. None of the Steelers’ coaches are worried about the way he’s played.

At mid-season when Woodley and Harrison were throwing down opposing QBs with regularity, it looked like both would be named to the Pro Bowl. Harrison did land an invite to the NFL’s all-star game. Woodley did not. But that’s OK. His time will come. He’s going to be a star.

Right now, all he wants to do is help the Steelers reach and win the Super Bowl. They can take another step in that direction Sunday by beating the visiting San Diego Chargers at Heinz Field.

For most of the game, Chargers right tackle Jeromey Clary will be assigned to block Woodley. On Nov. 16 when the Steelers edged the Chargers in an 11-10 decision at Heinz Field, Clary did a solid job on Woodley, who had three solo tackles but no sacks or quarterback hits.

But don’t be surprised if Woodley ends his sack drought Sunday.

He’s refreshed after the bye week.

And even though the Steelers lost last season in a wild-card game to Jacksonville, the rookie played very well. He didn’t let the pressures of playoff football affect him.

Even though he didn’t start, it was Woodley who led all pass rushers with two sacks.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com.

stlrtruck
01-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Sounds to me like Woodley has something to prove on Sunday.

Sorry Rivers, pick your poison - Harrison or Woodley!

fansince'76
01-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Without Woodley, Harrison doesn't quite have the same impact, IMO. He was a beast last year with Haggans on the other side too, but this year he was ridiculous.

Hammer67
01-08-2009, 02:43 PM
I don't think Woodley has slowed. Sack totals aren't indicitive to how one plays. I never liked the sack stat as a main barometer. I think QB hurries are just as important.

The Duke
01-08-2009, 02:54 PM
:blah:

I've seen woodley all over the QB, and runningbacks. He may not have gotten sacks in december, but he wasn't invisible

This article would fit joey porter though :thumbsup:

lilyoder6
01-08-2009, 03:08 PM
and i doubt that evryone in the 1st half of the season was targeting woodly has someone who would be as destructive has he was.. it was his 1st yr starting no one knew that he would be killing the sacks... i just think that it's more of teams game planning for him now since ppl know what he can do

Edman
01-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Woodley provided the pressure the caused the Romo pick six to Deshea that won the game.

You don't need sacks to make a total impact.

Burghfan58
01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Sundys game sounds like a good time to bust out the Woodley jersey my daughter got me for Christmas.:tt03::helmet::tt03:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2009, 03:35 PM
2 words............Film Study.

Nobody had much film on Woodley from last year. Its very possible that opposing RT's got to know some of his tendencys after watching a couple months of Woodley's game film. He bull rushes and tries to dip and rip the outside shoulder for the most part. He needs to try and rip inside or use a club move more often to keep the blockers honest.

JackHammer
01-08-2009, 05:53 PM
and i doubt that evryone in the 1st half of the season was targeting woodly has someone who would be as destructive has he was.. it was his 1st yr starting no one knew that he would be killing the sacks... i just think that it's more of teams game planning for him now since ppl know what he can do

^^^^^
This. Exactly.

Preacher
01-08-2009, 06:00 PM
2 words............Film Study.

Nobody had much film on Woodley from last year. Its very possible that opposing RT's got to know some of his tendencys after watching a couple months of Woodley's game film. He bull rushes and tries to dip and rip the outside shoulder for the most part. He needs to try and rip inside or use a club move more often to keep the blockers honest.

Yep. . . I wonder if it is also part of Woodley's maturity, keeping eyes up and looking for dump off passes, screens, draws, etc.

Fire Haley
01-08-2009, 06:14 PM
For most of the game, Chargers right tackle Jeromey Clary will be assigned to block Woodley

I like our LB's against RB's and TE's myself - I bet Lebeau has ways to change those match-ups.

Who is this reporter?

sdnunes
01-08-2009, 06:19 PM
I love all the "stats don't matter" posts in this thread. Sounds a lot like the Charger fans on the thread about the Bolts' improved defense.

steelpride12
01-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Woods impact on the rush has helped Harrison get his 16 sacks and it's nice to see he has something to prove Sunday and he will do what it takes to get to Rivers and take him down.
Lets hope the whole D line has the push and want to control the OL and Rivers and dominate in the trenches.

The Duke
01-08-2009, 06:28 PM
For most of the game, Chargers right tackle Jeromey Clary will be assigned to block Woodley

interesting....From what I've seen Clary is the weak link on the bolts offensive line

Though both him and mcneil have had problems against pass rushing linebackers this season

Should be a good day for the hounds,,,,

TheWarDen86
01-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Let's not forget about the speedy, hard hittin' Timmons blitzing up the middle on occasion. :tt03:

steelerstrade
01-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Woodley is a STUD...nuff said...

BehindSteelCurtain
01-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Woodley has defintely slowed down but his play hasn't dissapeared.

steelerfan4eva
01-08-2009, 09:57 PM
I am not to worried about Woodley...I played against him in highschool, and this guy has a never ending motor. Hes not tired, hes doing his job freeing up other guys to make the hit. This guy is a beast and hes gonna be fine!

GO STEELERS!!!!:thumbsup:

devilsdancefloor
01-08-2009, 10:28 PM
i think it is maturing at the postion & film study by other teams it seems as though he is not getting pushed out of the play and he is stay home not losing gap control. i forsee him having a huge game sunday. GO STEELERS!! :drink::tt03::tt03:

VegasStlrFan
01-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Woodley's fine! I'm sure the 29 consecutive qtrs of no holding penalties by opposing offenses from Nov 3rd to Dec 28th didn't have an effect.

Steel4eva
01-08-2009, 10:55 PM
I think he is going to have a BIG game on Sunday.

Fear #56!:tt:

MDSteel15
01-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Mike Bires is a freaking moron! Watch the game tapes azz and see that the O-lines are double teaming him!

Edman
01-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I'd like to bump this thread to tell everyone how much Lamarr is burned out.

Poor guy has two sacks in the big playoff game. What a burnout.

mesaSteeler
01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah he's just another wasted pick. NOT!

Hines0wnz
01-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I'd like to bump this thread to tell everyone how much Lamarr is burned out.

Poor guy has two sacks in the big playoff game. What a burnout.

Those were gimme sacks. The SD O-line let him crawl over and tackle Rivers. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I love this. Yeah, Woodley wore down in his first full season.

The guy got sacks, stuffed the run, collapsed the pocket, ran over Sproles in coverage, body slammed Rivers. I think you might wanna print a retraction of this article.

Great game Wood!!!!

chucoblack&gold
01-11-2009, 10:04 PM
sure as hell didnt look tired to me.......

SteelCurtain7
01-11-2009, 10:17 PM
If Lamar Woodley was tired today, then he'll make Ray-Ray resemble Pee-Wee Herman next week. :rofl:

jjpro11
01-11-2009, 10:31 PM
if woodley and the steelers were tired heading into the bye, the ravens have to be gasping for air.. dont forget, they havent had a bye since week 2 because of the hurricane in houston.

fansince'76
01-11-2009, 10:33 PM
If that was Lamaar Woodley in tired mode against the Chargers, i sure dont wanna see him when he's awake. I fully enjoyed the one sack where he slammed Rivers at the two. Gonna feel that one in the mornin' :smoker:

I thought for sure that one was going to draw the flag - glad it didn't.

jjpro11
01-11-2009, 11:05 PM

i would have been furious if they called it that. they didnt blow the whistle before the throw, and he didnt spike rivers on his head or anything. rivers is a big guy and woodley had to take him down swiftly. that was some power though.

Preacher
01-11-2009, 11:22 PM

I was wondering about that too...

but no fear, a fine can always be leveled later!

Shoes
01-11-2009, 11:26 PM

Me too but they called the weak one on Troy instead.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-12-2009, 12:19 AM
He looked just fine today

jjpro11
01-12-2009, 12:22 AM
all of our guys looked fresh.. that bye did wonders.. especially for ben, willie, and woodley

Galax Steeler
01-12-2009, 04:15 AM
I love this. Yeah, Woodley wore down in his first full season.

The guy got sacks, stuffed the run, collapsed the pocket, ran over Sproles in coverage, body slammed Rivers. I think you might wanna print a retraction of this article.

Great game Wood!!!!

That was sweet seeing him slam Rivers Woodley had a good game.