PDA

View Full Version : Parker, running game healthier?

mesaSteeler
01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Parker, running game healthier?
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_606141.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 8, 2009

Willie Parker said opposing teams don't fear the Steelers' running game the way they did in past years.

And the two-time Pro Bowl running back understands why.

"If I was on the defensive side of the ball, I wouldn't respect the running game," Parker said Wednesday, "because we haven't been that successful this year, so we've just got to take our respect."

Parker and the Steelers will try to do that Sunday when they host the San Diego Chargers in an AFC divisional playoff game. They may be in a favorable position to change the direction if not the perception of a ground game that finished 23rd in the NFL this season in rushing (105.6 yards per game) and 29th in yards per carry (3.7).

Parker, who missed five games during the regular season with knee and shoulder problems, is as healthy as he has been since early September. And when the Steelers beat the Chargers, 11-10, in November at Heinz Field, Parker rushed for 115 yards on 25 carries despite playing with a bad shoulder.

"I feel way better than I did last time I played them," Parker said of the Chargers. "Last time I was iffy. I definitely feel great."

Chargers coach Norv Turner said the Steelers' struggles on the ground mirror what San Diego has endured. LaDainian Tomlinson has been hobbled by injuries all season -- the five-time Pro Bowler is doubtful for Sunday's 4:45 p.m. game because of a torn tendon in his groin -- and Turner said that has affected the Chargers' continuity in the running game.

San Diego finished 20th in the NFL during the regular season in rushing with 107.9 yards per game.

"Earlier in the year we had uncertainty at running back. L.T. was obviously banged up, and we were in a variety of different games," Turner said. "We're a good running team that's struggled in the run sometimes and I think Pittsburgh's an outstanding run offense and they've had some things change on them. We're preparing for them to certainly come out and run the ball."

The Steelers ran the ball well in their regular-season finale -- Parker rushed for 116 yards and a touchdown against the Browns -- and they are hoping to carry over that success to the playoffs.

There is often a correlation between a robust ground game and postseason success, and Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said, "you definitely have to run the ball to be considered a physical ball club."

Parker said he thinks the offense, and the running game in particular, is up to the challenge of setting that kind of tone.

"We've got confidence in ourselves," Parker said, "so we've just got to go out there and take everybody's respect."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

bradness113
01-08-2009, 06:53 PM
willie is def close to HEALTHY. which is very good for our offense.
He will show it too!!!

HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!

JackHammer
01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I think Willie is healthier, but the overall run game is smarter. When I say smarter, I'm referring to last week when we ACTUALLY BLOCKED WITH A FB :doh:

Polamalu43
01-08-2009, 07:08 PM
FWP is our key to winning this game IMO. we need to establish a good running game early, in order to open up the passing game.

GridironWarrior
01-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Healthy Willie doesn't mean anything w/out a good Oline. And their Oline is horrible.

cubanstogie
01-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Healthy Willie doesn't mean anything w/out a good Oline. And their Oline is horrible.

We get your point, our o-line is bad. Your last 12-15 posts all stated how horrible they are pretty comical reading actually. You need to get past that until next year.

GridironWarrior
01-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I'll get past it when people realize our team can't run the ball and won't run the ball in the playoffs.

cubanstogie
01-08-2009, 10:52 PM
I'll get past it when people realize our team can't run the ball and won't run the ball in the playoffs.

I think most fans realize that, but hope we can run. I personally think we can run on the bolts but no one else. I just meant get past it until next year when we will hopefully do something about it, no sense dwelling on something that will not be changed for rest of year. Hopefully we are wrong and FWP runs for 200, OK 150 I would take.

Preacher
01-08-2009, 11:28 PM

I don't know, we have been able to run it a few times this year.

Though in the playoffs, teams usually shut down the run. That is why being to pass is so important.

joeyssteelcurtain
01-09-2009, 12:30 AM
I think Parker is going to have 120 yards and 2 TDs

jjpro11
01-09-2009, 12:58 AM
i hope he is healthy.. but i cant really put too much stock into the browns game. though his previous game against the chargers is a reason to have hopes higher.

SteelCityMom
01-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Yeah I think if they keep using McHugh as a FB it should work out pretty decently. I hope they continue to use Russell as their short yardage man as well, he did really well against the Pats in that regard, was even able to get a short yardage TD, which have been hard to come by for our RB's lately.

Last thing I want to see though is a first and goal or second and goal and Parker back there, he's not effective whatsoever in those situations and Ariens just needs to stop it. So many games would have been not nearly as close had they just used Russell and a FB in those situations.

Galax Steeler
01-09-2009, 06:02 AM
Parker knows what the playoffs is all about and I think he will come into this game pumped up and getting a hundred yards on the ground.

stlrtruck
01-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Then here's something for the O-line and all the RBs - Shut up, go out there and take the respect - stop talking about it!!!

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Interesting to see how quickly Mewelde Moore faded to the background in the discussion of the running game.

Last 6 weeks of the season-

Willie Parker- 101 touches 326 yards
Mewelde Moore- 52 touches 328 yards

Still dont understand why this isnt a topic of conversation.

tyler289
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Interesting to see how quickly Mewelde Moore faded to the background in the discussion of the running game.

Last 6 weeks of the season-

Willie Parker- 101 touches 326 yards
Mewelde Moore- 52 touches 328 yards

Still dont understand why this isnt a topic of conversation.

Willie has proven to be a top producer in the NFL...and we're paying him good money to put up good numbers and run the ball. We had to get him going one way or another, and I think Moore is going to be used much more in the passing game. I still think Moore should get 7-12 carries on Sunday, especially if Parker is struggling.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Willie has proven to be a top producer in the NFL...and we're paying him good money to put up good numbers and run the ball. We had to get him going one way or another, and I think Moore is going to be used much more in the passing game. I still think Moore should get 7-12 carries on Sunday, especially if Parker is struggling. So has Bettis, but that doesnt mean he can still do it. RBs do wear down and the stubborn refusal to admit that this is a POSSIBILITY with FWP is bizarre. Everyone keeps asking if the Steelers have enough of a run game and I still do not understand why there was no problem when Moore was in the backfield.

The game against the Browns means little and Moore didnt get 8 carries in the past 2 weeks COMBINED.

What I am wondering is if in the first half, FWP rings up 32 yards on 14 carries if we see nothing but more FWP in the 2nd half.

stlrz fan
01-09-2009, 05:19 PM
If the Chargers have been preparing for Parker I think Moore can really complement the running game. Willie can break the big one but Moore can get a few hard fought yards . He seems to have pretty decent hands too.

Preacher
01-09-2009, 05:20 PM
So has Bettis, but that doesnt mean he can still do it. RBs do wear down and the stubborn refusal to admit that this is a POSSIBILITY with FWP is bizarre. Everyone keeps asking if the Steelers have enough of a run game and I still do not understand why there was no problem when Moore was in the backfield.

The game against the Browns means little and Moore didnt get 8 carries in the past 2 weeks COMBINED.

What I am wondering is if in the first half, FWP rings up 32 yards on 14 carries if we see nothing but more FWP in the 2nd half.

For someone who claims quite a bit of football acumen, you should know that team wear down in the second half. A RB getting 60 yards in the second half is not the same a RB getting 60 in the first half. So no. YOu don't trade out Willie, unless he is injured or is visibly not himself on the field (doesn't have the jump that he normally has).

Why isn't anyone talking about Moore? Because most people know that you go with your best shot in the post-season. We will NOT make it to the SB depending on Moore. Willie is our absolutely best shot at making it to the SB. He seemed to have put all the pieces together finally against the Browns.

Memo then gets the opportunity to come in as a change up back. No, not going from power to speed or speed to power, but from a Quarter-mile drag racer to a Grand Prix racer. I like that change. Wear down the defense making them chase Willie, then put in the scat back that can pick through holes.

And also, by your logic, we should have traded away Bettis in 2003, Ben in 2006, Ward in 2006, Troy in 2007, Taylor in 2006, Kendall Simmons in 2004, Aaron Smith in 2003, and going back a few, Bradshaw in 1974.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-09-2009, 05:27 PM
For someone who claims quite a bit of football acumen, you should know that team wear down in the second half. A RB getting 60 yards in the second half is not the same a RB getting 60 in the first half. So no. YOu don't trade out Willie, unless he is injured or is visibly not himself on the field (doesn't have the jump that he normally has).

Why isn't anyone talking about Moore? Because most people know that you go with your best shot in the post-season. We will NOT make it to the SB depending on Moore. Willie is our absolutely best shot at making it to the SB. He seemed to have put all the pieces together finally against the Browns.

Memo then gets the opportunity to come in as a change up back. No, not going from power to speed or speed to power, but from a Quarter-mile drag racer to a Grand Prix racer. I like that change. Wear down the defense making them chase Willie, then put in the scat back that can pick through holes. You say that you go with your best shot in the postseason and seem 100% sure that the guy who produced TWICE as many yards per touch is not the best shot. That strikes me as a little bizarre.

Can you at least acknowledge the possibility that the FWP of old may be no longer? Moore is producing 6.3 yards per touch. That is a staggeringly high number for a RB. FWP is 3.2 yds/touch. Any gameplan that does not include a RB averaging 6.3 yds/touch is a bad gameplan.

No one in San Diego would admit it, but they were lucky that LT was hurt, because Sproles was more effective this season and they wouldnt have won if LT carried the load. I think the same thing goes for FWP/MM.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-09-2009, 05:30 PM
And also, by your logic, we should have traded away Bettis in 2003, Ben in 2006, Ward in 2006, Troy in 2007, Taylor in 2006, Kendall Simmons in 2004, Aaron Smith in 2003, and going back a few, Bradshaw in 1974.

Who said anything about trading anyone anywhere? You are the one who said you go with your best players in the postseason....who has been, by far, the most productive RB THIS SEASON?

You can answer the question yourself.

On the other hand, you are HOPING that FWP magically reverts to the form he showed 2 years, and 680 carries ago.

Danger DANJ
01-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Willie is finally healthy and has the chance to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. I like my chances with Willie starting. But Moore should get plenty of carries so they both stay fresh.

Preacher
01-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Willie is finally healthy and has the chance to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. I like my chances with Willie starting. But Moore should get plenty of carries so they both stay fresh.

Exactly.

It is amazing how people don't understand what injuries do to a player.

Furthermore, With Willie not playing that much, and a week off, he, right now, is the freshest RB on the team.

And no, I do NOT acknowledge MeMo's yardage against Willie's this year because of WHEN and HOW he got most of his yards. As I said before, 60 yards in the first half is a heck of a lot different than 60 yards in the second half, especially on fresh legs. . . AND ESPECIALLY when you are getting them on passing downs.

Does that mean I think MeMo is overrated? Nope, not at all. He is a excellent find for us. I wish our coaching staff would end up using them about 50/50 throughout the game. If you search back, you can see where at the beginning of LAST season I was saying the featured back is not good because it is too destructive to the backs.

I just shake my head at the fact that people think Willie is washed up after his FIRST season struggling with injuries.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
We need Parker to be the SBXL Parker were he turned on Beast Mode.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 08:57 PM
As a HS prep athlete I've had several sprained ankles and i can tell you that they do affect you. It's hard to run without limping. As for shoulder's go, when you run, you pump your arms so I can see where the effects are coming from his shoulder injury and as for knee, mostly cutting and running.

TeeJay
01-09-2009, 09:09 PM
What better timing?

A fit FWP going into the play-offs. COME ON!!!

Even 90% fit, he's still FWP, and that scares D's................ regardless of stats, and regardless of whether he gets the ball. He's in there, and that gives them something else to think about..

They can write him off (like several here have done recently) at their peril, but if FWP gets a hole, he'll put those jets of his to good use.

markymarc
01-09-2009, 09:25 PM
It is very nice to see FWP really close to 100%. I also want to see Moore be a big part of this game as well. Let FWP, Moore and Russell all get their chances come Sunday.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-10-2009, 05:14 AM
Exactly.

It is amazing how people don't understand what injuries do to a player.

Furthermore, With Willie not playing that much, and a week off, he, right now, is the freshest RB on the team.

And no, I do NOT acknowledge MeMo's yardage against Willie's this year because of WHEN and HOW he got most of his yards. As I said before, 60 yards in the first half is a heck of a lot different than 60 yards in the second half, especially on fresh legs. . . AND ESPECIALLY when you are getting them on passing downs.

Does that mean I think MeMo is overrated? Nope, not at all. He is a excellent find for us. I wish our coaching staff would end up using them about 50/50 throughout the game. If you search back, you can see where at the beginning of LAST season I was saying the featured back is not good because it is too destructive to the backs.

I just shake my head at the fact that people think Willie is washed up after his FIRST season struggling with injuries.ummmm, WHAT??!?!

Having an opinion is one thing, ignoring reality is a whole nother story...

redst3
01-10-2009, 05:41 AM
his previous game against the chargers is a reason to have hopes higher.

He ran the ball very well in the first game. I do think he will be there for some great carries, especially after the week off. Like others in the thread, I do think there's a "secret weapon" quality to Mwelde being in there as well.

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 08:15 AM
BUMP

Dino 6 Rings
03-26-2009, 12:29 PM
ummmm, WHAT??!?!

Having an opinion is one thing, ignoring reality is a whole nother story...

Bump

Hey...when will you come back to our Forum with you "Knowledge" Are you going to wait until after we lose a game next season or do you think you'll be joining us this off season to eat a big pile of STFU and We won the Superbowl with Willie Parker as a Starter?

Just curious.

steelerdave1969
03-26-2009, 02:23 PM
LOL Dino, I was just wondering how this thread had even gotten started but reading back a little ways shows me what I missed here in January.
I love Willie Parker and I hope that him and Mendenhall make a great duo for other opponents to have to deal with all day long and I just hope Willie can have less injury filled season in '09... I think along with Mewelde Moore the Steelers have a very nice trio in place, if we can just find a goalline back that can punch the ball into the endzone we will be set and more ballanced with a good running game to go with our suddenly potent passing attack.

The Duke
03-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Bump

Hey...when will you come back to our Forum with you "Knowledge" Are you going to wait until after we lose a game next season or do you think you'll be joining us this off season to eat a big pile of STFU and We won the Superbowl with Willie Parker as a Starter?

Just curious.

I can already see UFL's excuse coming....

"They scored the game winning TD with moore in the backfield" :dang:

steelreserve
03-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Bump

Just curious.

I thought that guy was banned.

Or was I thinking of NYCSteeler? Or was it both? I really can't remember anymore.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into it about Parker today; too worn out for that right now.

Preacher
03-26-2009, 05:23 PM
I thought that guy was banned.

Or was I thinking of NYCSteeler? Or was it both? I really can't remember anymore.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into it about Parker today; too worn out for that right now.

My guess is a 30 day-er . . . a brief vacation, sorta speak.

Dino 6 Rings
03-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Mendy + Memo + Parker= Pittsburgh's volatile version of Earth, Wind, and Fire :tt02::tt02::tt02:

Actually that name is taken...we need a name for them...

Something like "God Effing Zilla"

BlastFurnace
03-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't like the nickname "Mendy" ? Doesn't sound too tough.

PeckerWood
03-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Hey I stayed in a holliday Inn last night:rofl:

with the blocking and the injuries at RB might be the because Steelers are at 23/nfl2008?

Hell even with Bettis in prime the 2008 running game young offensive line wouldn't be much better?

I'm not blind faith but I can see what the Steeelers front office is trying to do and they have a QB Big Ben to try it with

Bring in the biggest push it in your face offensive line to bring the MLB and the SS in to stop the run

without braking the bank to make and not brake the salary cap

with those big bodies pushing the defensive line one way or the other way RB Mendy can pick the hole or go outside to get the yards or with the speed with Holmes and Sweed down field or millers finding a hole in the middle fort a gain

football 101

Galax Steeler
03-27-2009, 04:31 AM
They say that Mendenhall is ready to roll. Can't wait for the season to get here.

Give It To Abercrombie
03-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't like the nickname "Mendy" ? Doesn't sound too tough.

Can't stand it.

BlastFurnace
03-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Can't stand it.

We go from:

The Bus...

Fast Willie...

to Mendy.

We need to get him a better nickname than that. If I were Mendenhall, I would be pissed if that is what I am known as.

revefsreleets
03-27-2009, 01:01 PM
"Oh Mendy...well you came, and you gave without takin', and I sent you away..."

http://www.moonbattery.com/barry-manilow.jpg

We should probably work on that nickname...

steelreserve
03-27-2009, 04:41 PM
I think we should just break with tradition and not have a nickname based on how his real name is spelled or pronounced. Then we'd be free to use something good, like "El Bombastico" or something to that effect.

Steely McSmash
03-27-2009, 10:26 PM
too bad Cope isn't around to christen him. Have to see what Tunch and Billy can do I guess

revefsreleets
03-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Melwelde Moore's nickname of "MeMo" probably doesn't strike terror in the hearts of the opposition either. Sounds like Elmo's retarded little brother or something.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-28-2009, 11:19 AM
"Oh Mendy...well you came, and you gave without takin', and I sent you away..."

http://www.moonbattery.com/barry-manilow.jpg

We should probably work on that nickname...

Is it just me, or does Manilow kind of look like Barbara Walters in that pic? Yeesh!!

I think "Rush-hard" Mendenhall will evolve this year.

BlastFurnace
03-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Dude, if Jack Lambert was nicknamed Tinkerbell I'd still be effin' scared of him. Get my point? :wink:

Point is...we would never had nicknamed him Tinkerbell or Lamby.